Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

ogresque posted:

have you bought that one 100k scrap ring from the yaesha vendor

You don't have to buy that ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Well this game blows goats playing solo and I just passed the 2 hour mark on steam. Tried playing with randos but I spend more time watching them avoid checkpoints in spectator mode than shooting things. I guess add Hurk Hulgan on steam if anyone still plays this.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I dunno, trying to manage a world boss with 2 randos was a experience in frustration, and then right after I try it solo and oneshot it easily. Who was the brilliant mind that decided that adds in boss fights need more health on top of adding a whole extra set per person? Because frankly the immolators in the singe fight take way too many bullets when in coop.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Zoig posted:

I dunno, trying to manage a world boss with 2 randos was a experience in frustration, and then right after I try it solo and oneshot it easily. Who was the brilliant mind that decided that adds in boss fights need more health on top of adding a whole extra set per person? Because frankly the immolators in the singe fight take way too many bullets when in coop.

Final boss stuff it's even worse for the final boss because the fight is designed for you to be fighting the adds solo

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Final boss is easier solo because you have to rely on other people to make the fight work when in co-op.

I generally find that if you're having trouble with boss adds, you aren't moving around enough. Most can't hit you if you run, stop quickly to shoot, and then resume running. This might not be practical depending on your build - but I find that people complain about the adds way too much for how easy they are to deal with in almost all of the fights.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
As a Souls vet, this game seems fun but kind of frustrating. I got to the first boss (Gorefist) and the boss is a joke but there's constantly spawning explodey guys and I'm not entirely sure yet how not to get exploded. It's a tight area and often my first sight of them is them exploding on me. I wish melee was a different button and I could shoot without sights.

The enemies being RNG is kind of weird. There's three different types of the big red guys who arrive with a sound effect and two were trivial whereas the double blade bullet blocking guy was much tougher. That is until I found out you can just repeatedly make him vault a pipe and shoot him while he's doing so, haha.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You can put melee on a different button than shoot (and you should). You can actually i-frame through the exploders doing their thing if you don't want to bother with positioning during that fight. You can use their sounds as an audio cue and just never take damage from their explosions.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I tried i-framing the explosions but wasn't consistent enough (whereas boss's swipes were super easy to i-frame). I ended up beating him by taking him down very quickly with upgraded rifle shots to the head so I only had to kill/dodge/get hit by a few exploders. Got a little dicey at the end when I was infected and out of rifle ammo but wasn't too bad. Fight would've been fine if there was defined places the exploders came from imo. Instead of like, everywhere.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Re-roll was the key, Beam Rifle energy, several Simulacrums and more confidence has resulted in a much more fun and faster run.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
If you run roughly perpendicular to their path they will catch up and explode harmlessly behind you.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

I tried i-framing the explosions but wasn't consistent enough (whereas boss's swipes were super easy to i-frame). I ended up beating him by taking him down very quickly with upgraded rifle shots to the head so I only had to kill/dodge/get hit by a few exploders. Got a little dicey at the end when I was infected and out of rifle ammo but wasn't too bad. Fight would've been fine if there was defined places the exploders came from imo. Instead of like, everywhere.

Maybe you’ll get The Mangler next. That’s a good time :blastu:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Trying to get the cold as ice trait is stupid, I need the boss fight for it, then I need another player with me I am capable of killing within 60 seconds :shepface:.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

screech on the beach posted:

I rolled The Mangler with pink explosions everywhere. Yeah, no, I'm not even going to bother.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Drakes posted:

Trying to get the cold as ice trait is stupid, I need the boss fight for it, then I need another player with me I am capable of killing within 60 seconds :shepface:.

Ask a bud to help you and make sure they take their armor off first. Hell, if you're on PC and in the discord I'll help you. I just did it for another goon last night.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Regrettable posted:

Ask a bud to help you and make sure they take their armor off first. Hell, if you're on PC and in the discord I'll help you. I just did it for another goon last night.

Thanks for the offer, just got it actually been holding onto that boss fight for awhile. Basically tried not to overupgrade my gear and played my coop games till someone with 4 dragonstone uses pops in then we're off to the murder warehouse. Its just annoying having a trait tied to a one off pvp thing.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

I rolled The Mangler with pink explosions everywhere. Yeah, no, I'm not even going to bother.

The Enchanted affix was the worst idea.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I made the suggestion that devouring needs to be looked at because it's garbage now and averages a 4% DPS increase - the official Discord set me straight.

Devouring loop good

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Beat my first boss at this tonight. Shroud.

So this game was first sold to me as "Souls, but with Guns." As a HUGE Souls fan, I generally roll my eyes at someone even suggesting something is a Souls clone, because they are usually WAY off, because people who didn't play Souls much (and seemingly game devs) think that "hard + things respawn when you die === Souls".

That being said, after watching video of the gameplay, it oddly enough *did* look pretty close to Souls with Guns, so I gave it a shot.

So - the game is definitely difficult, with bursts into "loving bullshit". For a game centered around gunplay - the gunplay isn't super impressive. It's okay, but definitely not great. Mods take WAY too long to charge for what you get out of them. I only have 3 so far: the Healing one (kinda dumb because the circle is sort of small, and the game clearly expects you to stay on the move near constantly), the Fire ammo one (super meh for the length of time it takes to charge) and the Rattlewood one (actually useful but VERY short lived). I have also had the Hunter's Mark one since the first char I rolled was a Hunter - and that one doesn't seem super useful either.

Playing an Ex-Cultist now and that seems more suited to my playstyle.

I'm more sticking with it out of sheer spite at this point. Have only been playing single-player so far, and it definitely feels like it's tuned for co-op. It's also SOOOOOO not Souls with Guns.

A key mechanic in Souls is: learning levels and more importantly - enemy positions. Each new area is a problem for you to solve, and you do that by memorizing where enemies are, and where you can safely fight them. I realize in this game the level is static until you reroll your campaign, but enemies are not. You may get lucky and get all easy minibosses in an area and few regular enemies - or you may get bumrushed by tons of the hardest enemies. The problem with that is: in Souls when you finally clear an area - you have a sense of accomplishment that you were able to surmount what was at first a seemingly insurmountable problem. In this game - I often beat my head against an area, and then when I beat it, it's not necessarily because I played well or executed a plan well - it's just that I got lucky with which enemies I happened to draw that go around.

Another key mechanic from Souls is: once you clear an area - it's CLEAR (until you die). Enemies (and in particular minibosses) which can spawn in behind you in an area you've already cleared with no other entrances are kinda bullshit, really. Same thing with every miniboss boiling down to: "find a way to avoid my attacks which are either: ridiculously easy (melee), or loving bullshit (arrow guys - the screamy guy who also summons dudes). Oh and let's just toss infinitely spawning timed adds at you while we're at it. It makes me feel like the minibosses weren't interesting enough to fight on their own, so the solution they arrived at to make the fight more interesting was just to toss a bunch of mooks at you. Problem is: it's not interesting - it's just tedious.

Okay okay - enough comparison to Souls. I realize it's not Souls.

I'm really trying to like it - but all the stuff listed above, plus a lot of tiny janky things, plus the seeming lack of much in the way of "lore" is making it difficult.

Totally open to suggestions for things to try, however.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

HaB posted:

So - the game is definitely difficult, with bursts into "loving bullshit". For a game centered around gunplay - the gunplay isn't super impressive. It's okay, but definitely not great. Mods take WAY too long to charge for what you get out of them. I only have 3 so far: the Healing one (kinda dumb because the circle is sort of small, and the game clearly expects you to stay on the move near constantly), the Fire ammo one (super meh for the length of time it takes to charge) and the Rattlewood one (actually useful but VERY short lived). I have also had the Hunter's Mark one since the first char I rolled was a Hunter - and that one doesn't seem super useful either.

Hot Shot is one of the best mods in the game but it is dependent on what gun you're using. Rattle Weed was one of the best too until they nerfed it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just melted the last boss with Hot Shot and the Beam Rifle tonight, es good.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

screech on the beach posted:

Next I got the buckshot stunlocking rear end in a top hat with a small country full of borderlands adds. Felt overwhelming at first until I found a good pillar to peak out and shoot in between shotgun blasts and just healed through the add damage. Guess melee adds didn't spawn that time.

Only weapons I've found so far are a 1 shot pistol and a sniper rifle. I'm still using starter gear. Will I find straight upgrades or are other weapons more situational?

Game is weird. And good. I feel like polish is sacred in modern gaming, whether it be AAA or an indie darling. It's been forever since I've played a game that was budgety and rough around the edges but with a core satisfying game underneath.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
this game doesnt do souls boss duels, the typical boss fight is really more of a carefully tuned clusterfuck generator

i think your brabus there might have spawned w a boss modifier that makes boss attacks always stun you on hit (its either an oversight or a bug that he can get that modifier imo)

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
you have a keycard on you, use it to access the lower levels of ward 13, you can find a sweet sidearm

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So Corsus kind of sucks. Is there any thing that makes it suck less? I've upgraded my weapons as much as I can but everything still takes way too many hits to down for as frequent, fast and strong as they are, and the absolute peak of poo poo game design is slogging through a swamp fighting armored dog monsters that travel invincibly through the ground until they're right up in your face; only for like four grapple zombies to literally spawn right behind you. Because that's a constant. This world sucks, and Rhom wasn't much better.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

So Corsus kind of sucks. Is there any thing that makes it suck less? I've upgraded my weapons as much as I can but everything still takes way too many hits to down for as frequent, fast and strong as they are, and the absolute peak of poo poo game design is slogging through a swamp fighting armored dog monsters that travel invincibly through the ground until they're right up in your face; only for like four grapple zombies to literally spawn right behind you. Because that's a constant. This world sucks, and Rhom wasn't much better.

Go back and kill the undying king to skip to the next world. Don't forget your simulacrum which should have been in the first swamp area before the boss.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

HaB posted:

Criticisms
I fully agree with just about everything you point out. The game doesn't have to be like Souls games in every way, but it doesn't use any of the genre's elements that I actually care about. Enemies spawning behind me are almost a deal breaker.

I'm mostly just enjoying it as a better Hellgate London or Borderlands (not a high target in my book) with more deliberate movement and completely jarring difficulty spikes that, as you say, feel more dependent upon the luck of the draw than my approach to the game.

I do think the game does a good job of tucking away secrets, and its setting/lore are working better than I expected at first.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

The most dangerous enemies are the wormheads that come in pairs and infinitely summon more grapplers as long as they're alive. On my first playthrough I struggled a lot on the initial part of Corsus because of them.

The dogs can't tunnel through solid structures and later on Corsus you are mostly fighting on buildings so they're not much of an issue after the first section.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Motherfuckin' adds in this game, goddamn. Did like 60% of the dragon's health in damage to his tail before giving up after getting sick of adds I couldn't see swiping me off screen. Popped him from range after that. If adds were going to be this important, there should be some kind of indication something is behind you.

They're totally unnecessary anyway. Give the dragon a scarier gap closer and speed up the animation for that line of flame attack and the fight would have been fine.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Welp. Just played about 45 mins of co-op with a random. He was actually pretty good.

However, while co-op definitely cuts down on the bullshit - it just makes things kinda boring. So I guess I'm out. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Orv
May 4, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

Motherfuckin' adds in this game, goddamn. Did like 60% of the dragon's health in damage to his tail before giving up after getting sick of adds I couldn't see swiping me off screen. Popped him from range after that. If adds were going to be this important, there should be some kind of indication something is behind you.

They're totally unnecessary anyway. Give the dragon a scarier gap closer and speed up the animation for that line of flame attack and the fight would have been fine.

Without adds you'd be out of ammo before you could kill the boss.

Is that a great solution to a problem that doesn't necessarily need to exist? Eh. But also they're really not that hard and this poo poo is baffling to me.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Orv posted:

Without adds you'd be out of ammo before you could kill the boss.

Is that a great solution to a problem that doesn't necessarily need to exist? Eh. But also they're really not that hard and this poo poo is baffling to me.

Except Ammo Boxes exist and don't cost much.

For the same amount of time as any other consumable, you get a full resupply and free reload on both your guns.

If a boss takes more than 2/3 boxes before dying, you have other problems.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean yes, that is the right solution but it's pretty obvious why they designed it the way they did.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Hey so I'm a big dumb and I killed Undying King without ever opening the portal to Corsus. I took the key and opened a portal to...I believe Yaesha? It's a jungle planet with lots of axe and lightning dudes. Can I ever get to Corsus anymore, or do I need to reroll my entire campaign and just try again?

Orv
May 4, 2011
His key opens both other gates.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
and you should go to Corsus just to find the Simulacrum which is in the first area, most like.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, it's almost always in the first area, sometimes right by the portal.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Corsus sucks but it’s got some good bosses

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Also has devastator the most fun weapon in the game

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Thumbtacks posted:

Corsus sucks but it’s got some good bosses

Corsus can be amazing for scrap. Break every barrel and crate you see. I ended up with like 8000 scrap by doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm actually not minding corsus all that much, funnily enough. the theming of the enemies is neat. gonna betray the undying king and give the heart to the cool hivemind lady, though.