Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is the Kentie executable still ok to use? It helps run Unreal 1 engine games on modern systems and cleans up the graphics a bit

https://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Yeah I still use this, and I believe some of the mods also build off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is the Kentie executable still ok to use? It helps run Unreal 1 engine games on modern systems and cleans up the graphics a bit

https://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

I tried it and couldn't get it to run fullscreen (or borderless, it insisted on running in a window that's considerably smaller than my desktop). I also had some graphics artifacts but that was before I tried the DX10 renderer. Frustratingly, that executable seems the only way to have raw mouse input -- the Community Update executable runs at 1440p, but still has mouse acceleration. What a shame.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Futuristic dystopia has fallen from grace as a genre because we already live in one, minus the cool fun bits.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't know about that - cyberpunk, as a genre, seems pretty en vogue right now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just set the action in today's China, and tie game mechanics to your character's social score.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cat Mattress posted:

Just set the action in today's China, and tie game mechanics to your character's social score.

White people being terrified of a country having what is basically a less poo poo version of the credit score system that dictates every aspect of their existence, up to an including whether hospitals will give them life-saving care, will never not be funny.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

White people being terrified of a country having what is basically a less poo poo version of the credit score system that dictates every aspect of their existence, up to an including whether hospitals will give them life-saving care, will never not be funny.
what

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sir this is the do sex thread

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Sleeveless posted:

Epic post

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sleeveless posted:

Good post citizen: +10.3 points for you

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sleeveless posted:

This seems like a pretty naive take on things

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

code:
ICARUS HAS SENT YOU A FRIEND REQUEST

Icarus posted:

Observe your motivations for breaking the arbitrary terms of service of the current social media site. Do not miss your chance to be one of us and create the new social influencer platform.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
may the ghost of mao forever smile upon sleeveless

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Yeah idk that the social credit system is "less bad" than a credit score (not that credit scores in themselves aren't dystopian nightmares), but it's absolutely true that an element of yellow peril hysteria has infected western discussion of the social credit system, both what it is and what it will be. There's a good article on it by Wired here.

https://www.wired.com/story/china-social-credit-score-system/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lightningproof posted:

Yeah idk that the social credit system is "less bad" than a credit score (not that credit scores in themselves aren't dystopian nightmares), but it's absolutely true that an element of yellow peril hysteria has infected western discussion of the social credit system, both what it is and what it will be. There's a good article on it by Wired here.

https://www.wired.com/story/china-social-credit-score-system/

That entire article is multiple paragraphs of 'not yet' interspaced with implicit 'if the Chinese regime weren't putting their muslim population into concentration camps for the explicit purpose of establishing a big brother style monoculture controlled by the CCP then this might be innoculous'. The PRC is absolutely a dystopian nightmare.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Alchenar posted:

That entire article is multiple paragraphs of 'not yet' interspaced with implicit 'if the Chinese regime weren't putting their muslim population into concentration camps for the explicit purpose of establishing a big brother style monoculture controlled by the CCP then this might be innoculous'. The PRC is absolutely a dystopian nightmare.

Yes, I know.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Welcome! Welcome to Something Awful! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining internet forums

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Welcome! Welcome to Something Awful! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining internet forums

drat you to hell. It was in his voice, I couldn't help it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StandardVC10 posted:

Sleeveless is known for hot takes

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Sleeveless posted:

I know I'm late, but lol. Just lol.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Replaying Mankind Divided and just loving lol at Aria Argento turning into a total loving melt because I punched out a couple of cops while obtaining evidence from the bombed out train station.

Just as well she doesn’t appear to have found out that I went full 1984 Terminator on the ones in Golem City or she’d have to start some real hand wringing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah the game can get a little silly- second time I played I definitely had a three-digit police body count, and while Smiley and Aria and Miller were sorta miffed about it at first, they'd forgotten all about it by the next time we spoke. Like, sure, there's no hard evidence that I killed five times as many people as the Ruzika station bomber, but the circumstantial evidence is pretty good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The first time I played Human Revolution I got frustrated in the police station and just ended up having a shootout to finish the mission. I enjoy that the response when I returned later was "Hey, that wasn't cool. ... Okay, head inside."

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Replaying Mankind Divided and just loving lol at Aria Argento turning into a total loving melt because I punched out a couple of cops while obtaining evidence from the bombed out train station.

Just as well she doesn’t appear to have found out that I went full 1984 Terminator on the ones in Golem City or she’d have to start some real hand wringing.

I didn't get the 'YOU KILLED EVERYONE' non-lethal bug at the train station (because I DID, AND THEN I DID IT OVER), but I did get one when you get back from GARM and sneak back into TF29, and she freaks out a little so I re-did that one, too.

...THEN I KILLED A COUPLE DOZEN COPS AFTER LEAVING AND CAME BACK AGAIN and she freaked out freshly. And this time I just told her to shut the gently caress up, because gently caress those cops they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell, and she kind of just 'o-okay, Adam, you're probably right, I'm sorry' at me, which was good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FactsAreUseless posted:

The first time I played Human Revolution I got frustrated in the police station and just ended up having a shootout to finish the mission. I enjoy that the response when I returned later was "Hey, that wasn't cool. ... Okay, head inside."

I like how you can psychologically work over one of the cops, and one of your dialogue options is just labeled CRUSH or something like that.

But what's not to love about breaking cops' arms and stuffing them in the air vents? I worked over like half the DPD that way, stole all their poo poo, was never seen by anybody and nobody commented on it. 10/10

(Though the Missing Link mission can gently caress right off)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
True stealth experts stuff the entire Detroit police force into the vents

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm continuing my first MD playthrough, 2 years after I left off somewhere after Golem City, and just got back to Prague on lockdown and saw that first cut scene of the cops shooting some random civilian and that was my cue to go full ham on every pig in the city. No quarter spared.

Also I can't remember what I did with Otar Botkoveli the first time around but on continuing my play through I started exploring the theatre and found Radich and enough horrible material to warrant all of their deaths as well, so possibly I hosed up some later mission or maybe it was already hosed up because I don't think I would have ever wanted to work with Otar. Either way Koller is now horribly dead, sorry dude

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Didn’t the original DX stop really tracking lethal vs non lethal as far as character reactions go fairly early?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t the original DX stop really tracking lethal vs non lethal as far as character reactions go fairly early?

As soon as you leave Unatco pretty much. It's only the early characters who care and before they know it's all crooked. Nobody has anything to say on your way out of mj12 as far as that stuff that's for sure.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yes, it did. It also stopped putting you up against enemies that might be considered sympathetic fairly early too though- around the same time that the terminals mark you as public enemy number one. Given those things, it makes a bit more sense if you want to play as a psycho, it both fits your character's in-universe reputation, and it's happening to people who are not representatives of a legitimate government.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nonlethal damage in the first DX is incredibly hacky. It's literally just adding a suffix to a corpse object. The actor's dead, the game just pretends it isn't. Then "tracking" is done by simply going through the level's object, and looking at whether the suffix is there.

In some localized versions, they've updated the suffix so it's translated too, but they haven't updated the script that checks for the presence of the suffix, which still looks for the English language version. So NPCs will always consider you to have used lethal force...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

In some localized versions, they've updated the suffix so it's translated too, but they haven't updated the script that checks for the presence of the suffix, which still looks for the English language version. So NPCs will always consider you to have used lethal force...

Is there a write-up on this? Spending the early game being yelled at between missions for being a murderbot when I'd spent ages sneaking around and tranqing everybody would probably have ruined the game completely for me and I'd never have bothered to go further. It would absolutely wreck a game like this where a large part of the delightful is being given tailored responses to your actions that you didn't expect to hear.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After finishing off Mankind Divided again with a nice cop killing rampage and telling Aria off when she moaned about it, I really felt like replaying Human Revolution, as it’s probably been about 6-7 years since I last touched it.

Unfortunately in my new flat I don’t have a desk anymore, and my PC isn’t set up yet to be practical to use in a living room. Luckily thanks to an old promo freebie I was given back in my retail days...life, uh, finds a way.

It’s not the directors cut, it only runs in 720p, the frame rate chugs in anywhere larger than a corridor and the FOV is rather claustrophobic. None of this matters because it’s just such a good game and I honestly don’t worry about these things when I’m stuffing cops into air vents and building box forts around terminals so I can hack away in peace.

Some of the quality of life improvements from DE:MD are sorely missed but it’s amazing how well this has aged. Plus my PS3 has been relegated to serving as a media player for the last 4 years, and I can’t think of a better game to bring it back out of retirement.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm very time poor but somehow I've replayed HR 3 times - it's just that good.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Mankind Divided was alright but I was sort of glad it was done, it was also way too easy and I had so much stuff pretty quickly. I think by the mid way point I had like 30 bottles of neuropozyne and nothing to do with it but sell it (and I didn't really have much use for money).I only touched the remote hack experiemental aug, and I'd basically got everything I wanted well before the end. There's a neat theory about Adam that I read later but the fact that it's a prequel meant I was never really interested in the story at all. There was a weird bug where all the shopkeepers behaved like they'd never met me so I had to keep seeing the same introduction dialog every time. I helped Otar with his two favours and he's apparently meant to be the big cheese, but I just got the dialog where he's arguing with Radich in his office towards the end, so another bug.

I think having a game be easy is like a massive negative for any game, not sure how common that is.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 13, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished my replay of DE:HR - still absolutely brilliant and holds up really really well. I’m convinced this will be talked about and still played in another 10 years much like the original.

Boss fights aren’t great without the Directors Cut content but easily solvable by spamming the Typhoon.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I have trouble putting HR (or MK) into the category of "Holds up and worth playing for years to come" with those endings.

I do really love the commentary system though, Valve did it a bit, back when they made games, and then HR and then it died. I wished it had caught on more.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Grand Fromage posted:

Mankind Divided I think does it best now that I've finished my full series replay.

Ironic that you consider the cliffhanger ending that will NEVER be resolved to be the best one in the series.

RIP Amazing Deus Ex.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's not a cliffhanger, it's just the middle part of the story. The endless clunky slide show at the end is bad but md is a solid self contained story imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I honestly think mechanically that Mankind Divided is the best Deus Ex game, even moreso than the first game. It's just kind of a shame that Square-Enix meddled in its development and it's the middle game of a trilogy that will never see a conclusion because Square-Enix are just that poo poo.