Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The whole scene you have with the dinner with Bea and her dad, and the fight Bea and Mae have afterward, is so awkward but well written and just feels way too real.

This game is so goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gregg's stuff is good but bea's entire arc is a much better fit for what the game is about

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

gregg's stuff is good but bea's entire arc is a much better fit for what the game is about

That’s kind of why I consider Bea’s route to be the “canon”’ path through the game. Nothing is wrong with Mae and Gregg’s relationship but it’s established early on that she and Bea have kind of grown apart as of late.

Seeing two former friends gradually reconnect over time just seems to make more narrative sense to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oxxidation posted:

This is why I honestly would've prefered if the game just didn't have that choice, even if it makes it feel less... video gamey. Because Bea's story, to me, just felt so much more fulfilling. Not that Gregg's story is bad, but it kind of feels like Greg and Angus would eventually end up in the same place regardless if Mae rocks the boat or not. Bea though, Mae has a direct influence on Bae's story (good and bad) and where she eventually ends up

It's also bad, IMO, that you can miss Angus' backstory, which I absolutely did when I played

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly the game should have had more Angus hangouts. Lori was also a really good character that should have played a somewhat bigger role in my opinion.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Honestly the game should have had more Angus hangouts. Lori was also a really good character that should have played a somewhat bigger role in my opinion.

Hell, I missed Lori throughout the entire game except her very first appearance and the very last when I decided to explore those upper rooftops before the game ended.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

being poor literally destroys your brain, it is longform torture that permanently destroys the capacities of people who are subjected to it. i cant blame people for that situation for being pliable to conspiracy theories. what the gently caress else do they have. it doesn't absolve them of anything but they aren't 'as bad' as the people pushing those things onto them, or the ones that keep them poor.

and fyi the rich white woman or the rich black man will gently caress you over just as hard.

Racism isn't a mental illness. Racism is hatred. It should be pointed out that adolf hitler grew up poor. But nobody morally wise will say that his crimes only occurred because of "mental illness" because it was that awful rear end in a top hat's OWN consistent decisions to try killing every Jewish person in Germany. poo poo like this inherently dehumanizes mentally ill people and cowardly absolves racists of their crimes.

Yes, all rich people are awful, but the white ones are the worst, at least in the lovely country of america that kills thousands every loving day.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just wasn’t able to relate to the game that much, though I tried. From an economic standpoint, I ought to be able to: I grew up in a rurual-suburb town whose manufacturing left. But I guess the problem is my teenage and twenties years had “future incel loner” written all over it and it’s only for a number of reasons (including reading plenty of philosophically minded posts on these forums) that I didn’t turn into a fully blown chud.

Like there’s angst in there, and there’s gay characters in there, but there’s no gayngst in there. I love those characters, but in my experience being gay in a small town is usually not that ideal. There’s a lot of awkward moments in there, but they’re not loner awkward moments. Mae seems to hate herself more than the people she interacts with. She’s a bust at parties, but at least she’s invited.

I feel the game missed me by that much, but it’s probably that the authors wanted to be careful which punches they delivered when it comes to depicting Small Town America. When I was twenty-ish, I thought evangelicals were going to be what killed us all, not late-stage capitalism. That the fundie cult is actually an allegory for economic anxiety instead of just being about fundie cults is the most post-Bush presidency framing device that there is.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 3, 2019

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Larryb posted:

Agreed. Especially considering I feel like it is hinting that she is the next one the Black Goat is whispering too.

While Bea is absolutely the route to take in this game to experience all the themes and ideas the game is presenting, Wounds is just a wonderful scene. The visuals are gorgeous, the music is great, and Gregg's storyline is a great foil to Mae in a lot of ways.

I still need to go back and do another run through of the game with all the Weird Autumn stuff

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the entire time i was playing i thought bea and mae were going to be a couple by the end

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crazy Ferret posted:

Agreed. Especially considering I feel like it is hinting that she is the next one the Black Goat is whispering too.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think this?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

kidcoelacanth posted:

The best scene in the game, and by far the hardest to actually sit through, is Mae thoroughly sinking Bea's game at the college

The most heartbreaking thing about it is that when you play both paths, it's revealed that Bea chickens out of even going to the party without Mae.

Everything about Bea's character is so loving tragic. She just cannot catch a single break no matter how hard she tries, and keeps everything so tightly wrapped up inside.

Macaluso posted:

This is why I honestly would've prefered if the game just didn't have that choice, even if it makes it feel less... video gamey. Because Bea's story, to me, just felt so much more fulfilling. Not that Gregg's story is bad, but it kind of feels like Greg and Angus would eventually end up in the same place regardless if Mae rocks the boat or not. Bea though, Mae has a direct influence on Bae's story (good and bad) and where she eventually ends up

It's also bad, IMO, that you can miss Angus' backstory, which I absolutely did when I played

So I actually just had a minor revelation about this: The reason why both paths are in the game, and why both are important, is because Greg represents Mae's wants, while Bea represents Mae's needs.

Ultimately, what Mae wants to do is have life go back to the way it used to be: having fun hanging out with friends and fulfilling to dumb teenage impulses. Vandalism. Petty thefts. Knife fights. All of these are things that Mae used to do to have fun and feel free, and encourages and indulges Greg to backslide and do the same. But as Greg's storyline shows, you can't just go back to the way things used to be. As people grow up they have different wants, desires, and needs, and by encouraging her own and Greg's destructive tendencies, Mae risks ruining the lives of two of her best friends who, ultimately, want to grow up and move on. Living in the past simply isn't sustainable, and as a result Mae's attempts to revive her old friendship with Greg is similarly doomed to failure.

Meanwhile, what Mae needs is to develop as a person, and that's what Bea offers. Compared to mindlessly wrecking stuff as a teenager, becoming an adult isn't fun. It's about accepting responsibility for yourself and caring for others, and that is what Bea's storyline is all about—Mae is discouraged from petty theft by being forced by Bea to consider the consequences of her actions, works a job, completes simple errands and (tries) to cook a balanced meal, and, though she inadvertently instigated the crisis (Though it's really on Bea for not being more explicit on what she was trying to do at the party; it's not Mae's fault she utterly failed to read the room), Mae is ultimately there for her friend when Bea needs her the most.

Mae is able to grow just a little bit as a person when she hangs out with Bea, and that's ultimately why Bea's friendship is more satisfying. But Greg's storyline is just as important, as it shows the consequences of not growing, and the damage it can cause to the people Mae cares the most about. It's a very important contrast, and reflects the wider themes and overall plot of the game—Compare this, for instance, to how the cult would rather kill people in a futile effort to maintain the status quo, rather than confront the fact that their town is dying.

gently caress this is a good game

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 3, 2019

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think this?

God its been ages since I played but if I remember right, She talks about the same kind of mood swings (doesn't she like hold her head and go all "Arghhhh" a few times) that Mae has. She talks about being followed but that can be explained as simply the cult taking a predatory interest. She has that wonderful bit about wanting to be a monster that feels in line with Mae's mindset. I swear she mentions her grandmother having similar visions but I might be confusing that character with someone else.

This is built on fuzzy memory but I always thought of Lori has a younger Mae. Maybe a bit more put together, but I felt like the story was hinting that she was having a lot of the same "pressures" so to speak placed on her.

Edit: That's some cool analysis Acebuckeye13. Seeing them as Wants versus Needs is interesting

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 3, 2019

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

This is a really good post, and I want to expand on one part of it.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Compare this, for instance, to how the cult would rather kill people in a futile effort to maintain the status quo, rather than confront the fact that their town is dying.

One of the things I liked about the story is just how many things Mae and the cult have in common, too the point that if Mae were in an even worse position, if she didn't have the support and love of her friends and family, and didn't develop empathy for her fellow outsiders she could very well have been convinced too join them.

She even sort of realizes this at the end when she's the only one who kind of understood their motivation and she desperately tries too explain it in her own way.
Basically both she and the cult thought the future was always going to be what they remember the past too be, a never ending rerun of "The good old days" where everything was fine and no one had any real problems.

But of course that was never true, if you take the time to talk to people and explore you find out the town has a horrible history of violence and exploitation and things have only ever been truly good for a small handful of people.
Same with Mae she remembers a lot of the good things with her and her friends, but the moment your search even a little you quickly realize that things were pretty lovely for all them.

And like the cult, Mae is hurting people by constantly trying too force the world around her to conform too her sanitized memories of the past.

The main difference is of course Mae grows past this, she comes to realize she needs to let go of Greg so both of them can move on and grow up, and she needs to try and change herself and meet Bea halfway if they are going too keep being friends.
And it hurts like hell, but it's worth it because she comes out of this a better person.

The cult never comes too this realization, they keep on hurting everyone around them in a desperate attempt too bring back a past that never was.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Gregg is very important to me as a character because he and Angus' relationship are exactly the same as mine. Gregg and my man are even the same all the way down to the leather jacket and the crimes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Somfin posted:

I think the most important moment in NitW is the bit where Mae has a massive fight with her mom where some horrible poo poo gets said and the game just continues from there. They don't resolve it at the end of the fight, they don't have some closure later where the issues brought up are fixed. It's not a sign that either character is secretly the bad guy.

There's some tension about it later, but people fight, and they move on, and it's fine.

I had to stop playing for a little while after that scene to absorb what happened because I've had pretty much that exact fight with my parents before. I also did the whole drop out of college and go back to living at home while being a general fuckup so this game was an extremely good self reflection tool.

Lori is super easy to miss entirely and I had to look up missable stuff in the game to discover that I could actually hang out with her at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You can also hang out with Germ a few times as well (including a visit to his house), there’s also one hangout with Mae’s mom, a treasure hunting expedition with some random teacher guy, and a dog lady named Miss Rosa who appears sporadically by the pretzel stand and tells stories about Mae’s grandfather (she’s also heavily implied to be Mae’s paternal grandmother as well).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
There's a lot of extra stuff. My biggest recommendation to anyone playing this game for the first time is to explore everywhere and talk to everyone you can every day. Always talk to Bea and Gregg LAST, and if you think you have more to look at, always decline their offer to hang out. Otherwise you can miss a lot of great content.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not much to add that other people haven't already said - NitW hit me extremely hard emotionally in a way that no other game has. I live on the other side of the world but the issues and relationships in the game still hit uncomfortably close to home, playing through it was equal parts depressing and cathartic and it was an experience I needed. It will always be one of the best games I've ever played.

Master Twig posted:

There's a lot of extra stuff. My biggest recommendation to anyone playing this game for the first time is to explore everywhere and talk to everyone you can every day. Always talk to Bea and Gregg LAST, and if you think you have more to look at, always decline their offer to hang out. Otherwise you can miss a lot of great content.
yeah, this is one thing about the game that makes me sad. So much of the absolute best writing is hidden away and optional (or on Bea's route) and it's perfectly possible for someone to play through the game start to finish while missing all of it. I don't want to imply that there's a "wrong" way to play a game, but I think if someone were to pick up the game and only play Gregg's route and just go from objective to objective, their experience would be so much less than what it could have been. This is also why I don't like it when people say that it's just a visual novel with extra walking, because exploration and going around talking to townsfolk is a very important part of the game and why it wouldn't work in any other format.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

A lot of that was added by the Weird Autumn patch (as well as a few extra NPCs, at least two new songs and the ability to play the bass in Mae's room).

But yeah, with the exception of the Angus one Bea and Gregg are the only hangouts that actually advance the plot (and for some reason it only lets you do two of the ghost hunting hangouts at the end despite the story mentioning all three) so as mentioned they should be the last people you visit if you want to see everything the game has to offer. Also the exploration factor is the entire point of the game.

The two supplementary games released beforehand (which are also included with the Weird Autumn edition) are worth playing as well. Longest Night isn't much to speak of (it's mostly just a longer version of the constellation minigame with Mr. Chazokov) but Lost Constellation is basically a full fledged prequel in and of itself (it's not quite as long of course but it does feel more like a complete game). Both games are directly referenced in Night in the Woods proper.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 3, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Master Twig posted:

One of my few criticisms about the game is that it doesn't really explain this at all, and you can miss out on a lot because of it. I actually missed out on the Mom hangout because I didn't quite get yet that only hanging out with Greg or Bea advanced the plot, and didn't realize you can't go back once you've run though the town checking everything out-if you tell your mom you don't feel like hanging out at that exact moment, you can't do it at all. And that sucked, because I wanted to hang out, but I didn't want to miss anything, and then I missed something because I didn't want to miss anything!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Scott’s written a piece about his time working with Alec.

https://medium.com/@bombsfall/alec-2618dc1e23e

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

HMS Beagle posted:

Christ this is brutal to read. I just feel so bad for Scott and everyone else Alec hurt.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that's incredibly heavy, but I'm glad to have read it

I'm so sorry Scott and everyone else had to go through this :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
best/worst thing about that post for me was benson's bitter speculation that holowka hadn't actually "gotten better" and had instead just moved on from him so that he could begin poisoning someone else

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

This is why I honestly would've prefered if the game just didn't have that choice, even if it makes it feel less... video gamey.

same, this is my only criticism of the game really. you have to make multiple playthroughs to catch everything which is a big ask when folks already have game backlogs in the double digits

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

like an idiot, i keep looking at comment threads on twitter or whatever and it's honestly just the worst part of all of this. people are trash.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

kidcoelacanth posted:

like an idiot, i keep looking at comment threads on twitter or whatever and it's honestly just the worst part of all of this. people are trash.

If it's any consolation, most of the people being lovely on twitter are like this:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

there was someone in qcs yesterday blowing his stack because threads were once again speaking aloud the name of the perfidious quinn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheNamedSavior posted:

Racism isn't a mental illness. Racism is hatred. It should be pointed out that adolf hitler grew up poor. But nobody morally wise will say that his crimes only occurred because of "mental illness" because it was that awful rear end in a top hat's OWN consistent decisions to try killing every Jewish person in Germany. poo poo like this inherently dehumanizes mentally ill people and cowardly absolves racists of their crimes.
I literally said the words 'it doesn't absolve them of anything' but go off.

Kazy posted:

If it's any consolation, most of the people being lovely on twitter are like this:

Yeah. Obviously there's a few people with some Clout spreading stupidity, but seriously, this poo poo doesn't matter. Correct people who you come across and who seem vaguely reachable but don't get wound up over every 5 follower idiot who calls Quinn an SJW. Who gives a poo poo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why the gently caress do people read Twitter comments I don’t loving get it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HMS Beagle posted:

Holy poo poo, this hits way too close to home. I completely understand Scott and what he has been through, especially the part about being a fixer for Alec's life. I knew someone just like that, where I was constantly having to fix their poo poo, and getting incredibly stressed out when they would say anything at all about self harming, wanting to commit suicide, getting angry over every little thing, and I would have to be the one to calm them down. Multiple times I would wake up in the morning to messages of "hey, I am going to kill myself if you don't respond to this." and there was this one time that I traveled half way across the country to stay with a friend, and an unreasonable amount of time I unfairly spent time texting this abusive person trying to help them through their poo poo.

I am glad I see my therapist today, because this is bringing back bad memories from over 3 years ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think Scott's account changes my own understanding of events but it certainly does dismantle any "baseless accusations, how could you cut ties with him against the word of internet strangers" arguments.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HMS Beagle posted:

I feel like this should be the final nail in the coffin but I'm sure a trove of assholes will still continue to blame Zoe Quinn for "making poo poo up." It sucks I feel like I can never loving enjoy this game ever again, the well is so poisoned now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I feel like I need to enjoy this game just to spite all of the assholes still blaming Zoe, Scott, and Bethany. They did absolutely nothing wrong, they are guilt free in all of this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

HMS Beagle posted:

It's a well-written piece. What a mess the whole situation is.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HMS Beagle posted:

Dang, this one hits a bit too close to home with some people I used to know. I'm glad he wrote it though, I think a lot of people might be reading this in the coming days and have it resonate with them a lot more than they expected it to.

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like this should be the final nail in the coffin but I'm sure a trove of assholes will still continue to blame Zoe Quinn for "making poo poo up." It sucks I feel like I can never loving enjoy this game ever again, the well is so poisoned now.

The comments on it are a bit of a poo poo show already. Personally; I'm not going to be replaying either this or Aquaria any time soon. I love them both, but this has been some heavy stuff.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like this should be the final nail in the coffin but I'm sure a trove of assholes will still continue to blame Zoe Quinn for "making poo poo up."

The responses on medium to the piece prove you right.

I'm not going to abandon my love of this game, rather knowing how much the Bensons had to bear adds to its resonance for me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Benson is back on twitter. He seems like he'll be alright, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah it sucks but I've been following him on twitter and before all this he seemed to be in a much better place. Glad that it's let them handle stuff better. :|