Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Doesn't it take quite a while for Shaman solo to really take off? I remember it being kind of not great before Torpor/Cannibalize and your DoTs getting real fangs in them rather than being a nuisance.

Granted, once they come online, they come online hard. I remember back in the day on live I think in Luclin/PoP era we had a guild shaman that could solo Lozdial.

At 24 they come online with a good fast poison dot, regen, and canni. 34 you get your first dogdog and it's pretty much better every spell level after that until 60 when you get game changing torpor.

Until 24 it's pretty slow - you're basically a lovely warrior and druid combo until then. Early SOW and spamming inner fire to heal are the highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

At 24 they come online with a good fast poison dot, regen, and canni. 34 you get your first dogdog and it's pretty much better every spell level after that until 60 when you get game changing torpor.

Until 24 it's pretty slow - you're basically a lovely warrior and druid combo until then. Early SOW and spamming inner fire to heal are the highlights.

Huh, I might have to check it out again next time I get the inclination to play on blue. Is there a commonly accepted fantastic cheap twink weapon for shamans equivalent to Wu's Quivering staff or Trance sticks for monks? Smoldering brand and Poison Wind Censor tends to be a bit more expensive doesn't it (with the latter being kind of an AoE trap once it starts proccing)? I assume you get like a Keg Popper or a Slime Coated Harpoon or springwood club when running on a budget?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Gatorsmash Maul can do great damage provided you don't get lovely rolls, the delay is really long but shamen can haste themselves pretty early on and\or equip a haste twink item. It's in the vanilla game too so it's a good choice if anyone is gonna roll a shaman on green since kunark and velious items won't be in yet.

And yeah getting sow at lvl 9 is really satisfying for some reason, I've leveled up probably like 6 shamans in my eq career and I never get tired of it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Huh, I might have to check it out again next time I get the inclination to play on blue. Is there a commonly accepted fantastic cheap twink weapon for shamans equivalent to Wu's Quivering staff or Trance sticks for monks? Smoldering brand and Poison Wind Censor tends to be a bit more expensive doesn't it (with the latter being kind of an AoE trap once it starts proccing)? I assume you get like a Keg Popper or a Slime Coated Harpoon or springwood club when running on a budget?

I guess that depends on your budget. A quick browse of ahungry.com says brand is 200 or less, PWC is 500 or less. You want to keep in mind how the low level damage caps work and realize that weapon base damage above 9 is wasted until level 10, and weapon base damage above 12 is wasted until level 20. That said, a PWC is still a fine investment as it's one of the fastest 2handers (20/28) a shaman can use so it's still good for working up the skill as you go. It doesn't proc until 50 so, unless you are twinked with dragon haste and a fungi, you're likely not meleeing by then anyway.

Something like a jade mace is more of a luxury at 800ish, but you can totally sell that back once you hit 20 and rock your PWC full time. It's also not a bad idea to have one laying around as it's among the best twink weapon for every single class.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
25% exp bonus till Monday the 8th

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Thanks for the shaman info, just hit 34 tonight and holy poo poo

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Is there a reason why Pilsner's Zlizeqmap wouldn't work under windows 10?

I just installed a Home Edition and did a fresh install of EQ, wineq2 and zlizeqmap; logging is on, zlizeqmap is pointing to the directory with the log files in it and has the p99 dataset selected, everything launches fine but when I /loc or sense heading in game, zlizeqmap doesn't pick it up: it just stays on the default EC map after opening, whatever character I play and zone / loc / sense heading with. No cross appears, no arrow, nothing. So I'd say it's clearly not reading the log files, but it's got the correct directory for them in the settings, so...

edit: it's permissions. I was "not the owner" of the logfile. loving nightmare OS. Had to manually insert myself as a user with "full control" in the file's security tab for zlizeqmap to be able to access and parse it.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 10, 2019

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Avoid installing EQ in program files and other protected directories to help with this kind of stuff in general.

Edit: this reminds me, if someone wants to make a new thread for when Green goes live, I am happy to pass the torch. I wish I was in a situation where I could play, but I'm not, haven't been for awhile now, and I don't anticipate that changing in the future. Would be nice for there to be updates that aren't third hand info.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 10, 2019

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is the goon guild very active here still? I'm not overly keen on the big poopsock raid targets but would like to do some smaller and more casual raids in between farming endlessly for all the poo poo I need as a shaman.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So are we ever going to get some actual concrete details about Green? October is 8 weeks away.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

So are we ever going to get some actual concrete details about Green? October is 8 weeks away.

I haven't heard anything but my assumption is it's a progression server that will stop at Velious so you'll see stuff like xp penalties and all that classic madness to start.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna play yet. If my friends play I'll probably do a Shaman or something like that but if it's just me maybe a Necro.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Meatgrinder posted:

Is there a reason why Pilsner's Zlizeqmap wouldn't work under windows 10?

I just installed a Home Edition and did a fresh install of EQ, wineq2 and zlizeqmap; logging is on, zlizeqmap is pointing to the directory with the log files in it and has the p99 dataset selected, everything launches fine but when I /loc or sense heading in game, zlizeqmap doesn't pick it up: it just stays on the default EC map after opening, whatever character I play and zone / loc / sense heading with. No cross appears, no arrow, nothing. So I'd say it's clearly not reading the log files, but it's got the correct directory for them in the settings, so...

edit: it's permissions. I was "not the owner" of the logfile. loving nightmare OS. Had to manually insert myself as a user with "full control" in the file's security tab for zlizeqmap to be able to access and parse it.

Win 10 user permission functionality is a total hellscape. Congrats on navigating it

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

acumen posted:

Is the goon guild very active here still? I'm not overly keen on the big poopsock raid targets but would like to do some smaller and more casual raids in between farming endlessly for all the poo poo I need as a shaman.

Its mostly empty but there are a handful of people on sometimes. If you want an invite you best bet is to join the discord and ask.

Its a good idea to join the discord even if you don't want in the guild, too, though as most Goons aren't in the Goon guild atm.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Month away from Green and still no actual information about it. Starting to think it is not going to happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

insider posted:

Month away from Green and still no actual information about it. Starting to think it is not going to happen.

they're saving us from ourselves.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

insider posted:

Post a call out thread on Reddit imo.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

insider posted:

I mean how much information do they need to give us? Everyone kinda already knows what it's supposed to consist of. They'll probably release basic information sometime this month.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Relayer posted:

I mean how much information do they need to give us? Everyone kinda already knows what it's supposed to consist of. They'll probably release basic information sometime this month.

I mean yea basic information would be a start. Literally everything right now is just assumptions and speculation based on conversations the devs had 5+ years ago, but none of that has actually been confirmed by them - they were just ideas.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I finally did it. I wanted my own EQ server so I could just alter items and power myself through stuff and visit zones I've never been in. Just to mess around till I grow bored with it.

There's a pretty easy setup for ProjectEQ for doing a basic self server, and then there are some other extra steps if you want to be able to easily edit zones/items/spells/etc with their database editor website.

This is for the server part: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki/Windows-Server

This is for the game files and setup for those: http://www.projecteq.net/forums/index.php?threads/setup-guide-how-to-play.15184/

This is the website to remotely access your server database and easily edit items/spells/etc: http://eoc.akkadius.com/EOC2/index.php

I simply edited the basic staff to have some crazy stats and included a proc for complete heal for my gnome shadownight. He's level 9 and owning things. it's sorta goofy fun. I'm sure it will grow boring, but it's a blast for a few weeks at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I spun up private servers in college for EQ and WOW so I could just noclip through the zones and see everything

Also its fun to spawn a raid boss in the middle of a city

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2956468&postcount=1

The final update released today for p99.

That's it folks!

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Final Form Monk supremacy patch.

I really want to play green but just don't have the time to commit. Maybe just play a wizard to kill a few things every now and then and inch my way to 60.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

FungiCap posted:

Final Form Monk supremacy patch.

I really want to play green but just don't have the time to commit. Maybe just play a wizard to kill a few things every now and then and inch my way to 60.

I don't wanna play green. I'm just messing around with my own eq emulator and that works for now. I've been watching all the World of Warcraft Classic streams, that looks interesting... I may give that a try.

I never tried WoW because it just looked too much like easy mode mmorpg. But I'm breaking down because it looks like it would have some fun elements for a few weeks at least.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Warcraft 2: Tides of darkness is and always will be better than wow or any other mmorpg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relayer posted:

Warcraft 2: Tides of darkness is and always will be better than wow or any other mmorpg

That's like saying "Tetris is better than the Assassin's Creed franchise" which like, yeah, I guess so, but weird

moolchaba posted:

I don't wanna play green. I'm just messing around with my own eq emulator and that works for now. I've been watching all the World of Warcraft Classic streams, that looks interesting... I may give that a try.

I never tried WoW because it just looked too much like easy mode mmorpg. But I'm breaking down because it looks like it would have some fun elements for a few weeks at least.

WoW Classic was just Blizzard's more polished Everquest.

But what it has become, primarily around the time of Cataclysm, is a theme park easy mmo yes.

But Classic and even Burning Crusade are pretty comparable to Everquest in difficulty. (I mean, Everquest isn't really hard its just obtuse)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

That's like saying "Tetris is better than the Assassin's Creed franchise" which like, yeah, I guess so, but weird

Tetris sucks and Assassin's Creed probably sucks but I haven't played any of them. Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness always delivers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

classic wow is a cakewalk compared to everquest and it was always funny seeing wow players talk about how hard it was.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

There's a community on classic wow of people who practiced the same version of the game on private servers for years and years and seeing it from the point of view as a p99 guy it's funny as gently caress.
I'm sure most of them are fine people but the loudest ones have a lot of arrogance from mastering the game that was literally the option in the genre for literal children.

Classic wow is pretty fun though, I didn't really like the game much at the time until TBC/arena but it's very much a big sprawling mmo feeling game for sure.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Classic Wow is fun but it's not nearly the grind EQ is, or as difficult. I do things in Wow that would get me killed most of the time if I tried them in EQ, and the leveling speed in classic Wow is way faster than classic EQ.

It's so much faster that I think even the Red Server in p99 where you get massive xp bonuses is still slower than leveling in classic Wow.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Classic WoW is a good game for people who have broken lizard brains and still want to play old MMO's, but have limited time.

You can casually go from 1-60 exclusively through shorter play sessions. It will take you months and months, but you can jump in and have a productive 2 hour play session and feel like you made progress.

But if you want to go full poopsock and throw your life away then that option is also available to you.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
As a fan of both games, EQ is without question much harder in about every single way. It’s not even close.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
solo enchanter in eq1 is easier than solo warrior in wow classic

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

please knock Mom! posted:

solo enchanter in eq1 is easier than solo warrior in wow classic

that's-bait.gif

unrelated: your avatar just gave me a shock of flashbacks of my mom religiously watching Medisch Centrum West when I was a kid

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nothing in EQ or WOW is hard. They're both just confusing.

Both games are trivially easy now because people have data-mined everything.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Oh yeah. I soloed Trak with my 51 SK gnome, legit.

I made a nice weapon to help me out.

No cheats.

NO CHEATS.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm gonna go tear up the planes now. Woop woop woop.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Oops... quote not something. Whatever.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Nothing in EQ or WOW is hard. They're both just confusing.

Both games are trivially easy now because people have data-mined everything.

I wouldn’t call P99 trivially easy at all. Charm soloing at any level with an enc or necro, let alone famously doing it in Howling Stones, will have you on the edge of your seat and dying pretty regularly.

EQ difficulty isn’t resolved by data mining. Random spell resists, charm breaks, fizzles, combat RNG, mob level variance, mob trains, pathing, and mob respawns will consistently gently caress your day up no matter how much you know.

Groups at all levels, from crushbone to KC and sebilis, still wipe regularly.

Risk is definitely alive and well in P99 to this day, huge part of why it’s still so fun to play.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 10, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

retpocileh posted:

I wouldn’t call P99 trivially easy at all. Charm soloing at any level with an enc or necro, let alone famously doing it in Howling Stones, will have you on the edge of your seat and dying pretty regularly.

EQ difficulty isn’t resolved by data mining. Random spell resists, charm breaks, fizzles, combat RNG, mob level variance, mob trains, pathing, and mob respawns will consistently gently caress your day up no matter how much you know.

Groups at all levels, from crushbone to KC and sebilis, still wipe regularly.

Risk is definitely alive and well in P99 to this day, huge part of why it’s still so fun to play.

Wiping doesn't necessarily mean the game is hard, just that sometimes it can be randomly punishing. I dunno I charm solo while watching netflix and I think that's how most everybody plays EQ.

Most people on other servers multi-box. The game is playable for one person to control an entire party, it can't be that difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Wiping doesn't necessarily mean the game is hard, just that sometimes it can be randomly punishing. I dunno I charm solo while watching netflix and I think that's how most everybody plays EQ.

Most people on other servers multi-box. The game is playable for one person to control an entire party, it can't be that difficult.

If dying doesn’t translate to difficulty I’m not sure what does. If we’re talking tactics, P99 is also probably the most demanding of any mmo except for raiding. You actually have to mez poo poo, slow poo poo, keep your charms up, focus the same target, manage your mana, mobs will destroy cloth casters in 2 seconds flat, etc. and loving any of this up can easily wipe your group.

If you’re talking about non P99 servers, then I don’t know modern EQ very well. Guessing it’s been wowified so your assessment may be accurate there.