Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

the real culprit isn't EDH so much as #mtgfinance, considering that godsire is probably garbage even if you build around the theme.

Rishadan Brigand is still $3 lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Don't need to go mono-U, but it isn't unreasonable to just cut red from the deck. It was there almost entirely for Looting. The question is, is Cathartic Reunion enough to warrant keeping red? Do blue/green/black give you a CMC 2 or less looting effect (even if it isn't as big)? Or do you lean harder on straight mill like Tome Scour + discard effects like Brutality and the Innistrad Skabs that come back from the grave?

Ideas Unbound with a heavy blue mana base is probably a decent replacement.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, Conflagrate is a pretty big reason to keep red. I still like Ideas Unbound, though, because you don't discard until the end of your turn, so you get to draw three and dump them for a bigger Conflagrate.

anyone who's had a dredge player cast cathartic reunion against them knows that the card is 100% worth the red splash

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
While I'm coming up with terrible ideas, I wish I had NeoBrand so I could test Chancellor of the Annex.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
That deck is still modestly priced for Modern and people play it to success, so it may be a worthy investment.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

anyone who's had a dredge player cast cathartic reunion against them knows that the card is 100% worth the red splash

Plus the win con for the deck is often conflagrate, which is only cast for value from the graveyard, and this needs two red Mana. You can't trim the red from the deck no matter what. Adding blue seems smarter, since it means that things like narcomeba can be cast from hand instead of being a truly dead card.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I would rather concede than hardcast a narcomoeba, though I cannot speak for other dredge players.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Weren't Throne spoilers supposed to start Monday? (I assumed today due to the holiday)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

Weren't Throne spoilers supposed to start Monday? (I assumed today due to the holiday)

Maro column made it sound like next Monday.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
https://twitter.com/NumotTheNummy/status/1167564424518852608

They (probably) start tomorrow, although I don't think anyone knows what time the stream starts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Guh, wish I got some SFMs before they spiked, it's something I'd thought about. The Orzhov and Mardu lists I've seen look fun and my Pyromancer list is banned.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mossyfisk posted:

I would rather concede than hardcast a narcomoeba, though I cannot speak for other dredge players.

It's more for prized amalgam, but i think having the option to get it out so it can die, go to the graveyard, then get out on top of your deck via a this is better than just sitting in hand and being dead weight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

rkajdi posted:

It's more for prized amalgam, but i think having the option to get it out so it can die, go to the graveyard, then get out on top of your deck via a this is better than just sitting in hand and being dead weight.

Hey dead weight is at least cheap removal.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Devor posted:

My guess is that humans snap up dual-lands because they want to fill out their collection for deck building, so after the first tuning pass bots love them too? Or they might give them high values to reflect a "real" draft experience where real life people are filling out their collection and won't want to pass rare dual lands.

It’s neither of these; it’s because they make Good Dual Lands inherently hard to get because then people will buy lots more packs to get them. It’s a way of increasing scarcity in a world where all rare cards theoretically have an equivalent value. I’m not sure they actually said this out loud ever but have certainly come close a few times.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
oh god we've got a live one

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Devor posted:

The guy who designed the system (one of the original hosts of LR, maybe first one? Ryan Spain? Maybe?) was on LR and got into the algorithm some.

It starts with hand-made card rankings, kind of like a normal individual card set review.

Bots start with the highest value pick

Bots will eventually lock into a color, then a second color within a certain number of picks (looking at purely colors, not pips as I recall), and HIGHLY prioritize those colors. I think there's some de-prioritization to avoid picking a dual-color card if they're not locked in.

Bots give no thought to curve, except that an efficient card would have a higher value. But if you looked at their deck at the end it might be loaded with 5 drops

After a while, they go back and use human draft data to fine tune the value of picks, which will change around the meta. This is a one- or two-time process, not continuous.

My guess is that humans snap up dual-lands because they want to fill out their collection for deck building, so after the first tuning pass bots love them too? Or they might give them high values to reflect a "real" draft experience where real life people are filling out their collection and won't want to pass rare dual lands.

There's no way the bot pick orders are based off human data, because they keep taking white cards in M20

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lone Goat posted:

There's no way the bot pick orders are based off human data, because they keep taking white cards in M20

Allegedly they took data from MTGO drafts in the past, where maybe taking a white card makes sense since you can be the only white drafter in the pod.

Obviously taking data from Arena drafts to tune the Arena bots would be pointless since you're usually railroaded into UB or Temur.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So the spoiler season officially kicks off tomorrow with the stream, but they refuse to answer anyone's questions about what time it starts. Which makes sense, if you want to use a Twitch stream to start generating hype in order to drive sales of your newest product, the smart move is to not tell anyone when it starts, right?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Allegedly they took data from MTGO drafts in the past, where maybe taking a white card makes sense since you can be the only white drafter in the pod.

Obviously taking data from Arena drafts to tune the Arena bots would be pointless since you're usually railroaded into UB or Temur.

Yeah, but in the past drafts came out on MTGO before they went live on Arena, and now I think they happen at the same time?

Taking white cards to be the sole white drafter only makes sense if you're seeing it's open a few picks in, not slamming Protector Griffin 2nd pick but still passing Raise the Alarm like the bots are doing.

Do common print run orders still exist, and does Arena follow them? If so, I could look at draft logs and figure out the what the bots are taking the first couple picks in each pack.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LifeLynx posted:

So the spoiler season officially kicks off tomorrow with the stream, but they refuse to answer anyone's questions about what time it starts. Which makes sense, if you want to use a Twitch stream to start generating hype in order to drive sales of your newest product, the smart move is to not tell anyone when it starts, right?

honestly it wouldn't be that surprising if they haven't even decided on a start time yet

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lone Goat posted:

Do common print run orders still exist, and does Arena follow them? If so, I could look at draft logs and figure out the what the bots are taking the first couple picks in each pack.

I am not aware that *common* print runs ever existed on Arena, but they got rid of the* uncommon* print runs by M20 (and WAR I think)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1168962535619514370?s=19

Food token

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If i can't eat the food tokens, magic is over

Also im liking the look of oko here

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kurtofan posted:

Soylent food token.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, definitely bringing some kind of candy or snack to the prerelease to use as food tokens.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do not bring edibles to prerelease to use as food tokens

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kurtofan posted:

Do not bring edibles to prerelease to use as food tokens

You can't make me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Food will be like Treasure and have its attributes defined by the rules of the game rather than the card. That makes it kind of annoying because I can't tell what Food does.

It's probably an artifact to work with Oko's other two abilities. Or it could be a creature.

How rude of WOTC to change how creating Treasure works so they can use the technology on cards without reminder text.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Obviously there'll be a card that turns your Food tokens into creatures

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Also im liking the look of oko here

They're a shapeshifter and instead of having a cool art where they're changing forms or something cool it's just some dude lounging around

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I would totally lounge around tbf

Eating food tokens

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The +1 can target any creature or artifact and has an unlimited duration, so you can elk your opponent's darksteel citadel or whatever, as well as making your tiny dudes or mana rocks into emergency elks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Obviously there'll be a card that turns your Food tokens into creatures

It's this one.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
What a shame that Yargle, Glutton of Urborg is rotating out of standard before food gets printed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
MAgic the GATHERING is a normal game that makes me holler WHAT IS FOOD WHAT DOES FOOD DO

I'm SCREAMING because I just do not know the properties of fFOOD

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Food token

sac food token, put two +1/+1 counters on target creature. It becomes fed until end of turn. You gain 1 life.

When a creature is fed, remove all damage that has been done to it this turn.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

MAgic the GATHERING is a normal game that makes me holler WHAT IS FOOD WHAT DOES FOOD DO

extremely same

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can elk your food

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Add 🍗

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
my new ska band name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If they put +1/+1 counters on creatures they'll be limited to sorcery speed.