Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone spritz their pork butts? I saw a recipe that said to spritz every hour or 2, I've never really had an issue with pork butts being dry or anything is this just for some flavor (apple juice and apple cider vinegar)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Picked up a Traeger Pro 575 this weekend. Got a bunch of free crap with the labor day sales. I've got some seasoned chicken legs defrosted already that I'm going to smoke tonight. Can't wait.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Slow Smoking Meat: Do you spritz your butts?

No, it will slow down cooking and might gently caress up that delicious crusty bark.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
^ what he said

The stall is actually caused by the excess moisture in the meat coming to the surface and evaporating off, so by introducing more moisture you're prolonging the stall. What this looks like practically is that when your meat actually does come to temp (like 5 hours after it should have) it will actually be dried out. I know this because I thought it would be a good idea to spritz my butts one day and this is that happened.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

McSpankWich posted:

^ what he said

The stall is actually caused by the excess moisture in the meat coming to the surface and evaporating off, so by introducing more moisture you're prolonging the stall. What this looks like practically is that when your meat actually does come to temp (like 5 hours after it should have) it will actually be dried out. I know this because I thought it would be a good idea to spritz my butts one day and this is that happened.

Raising the humidity of the smoking chamber should prevent moisture evaporating from the meat. That's why humid air feels hotter than dry air: evaporative cooling is less effective.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm thinking "Spritz my butt?" would be a good thread title.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Bad advice, though. Better to have "Don't spritz my butt"

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What are thoughts on spritzing in general? I've never bothered tbh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This was my general belief and all words I said to the person reading me the recipe while I was saying wtf.

opening the smoker means longer cook times since it needs to now deal with the cold air and additional moisture.

Spritzing would ruin the bark.

And it's dumb.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Spritzing is necessary to help even out cooking for uneven cuts of meat like briskets and beef ribs. Spray the thinner/drier looking parts to help increase the cooking time of that portion compared to the rest of the cut.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/vegan-woman-community-barbecue-sued-neighbours-meat-smells-perth-a9091396.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

So now instead of her being a dick, everybody is a dick.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah, this is just pointless assholery. She’s not against people eating meat or anything.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My dad just gave me a whole 12.5lb wagyu brisket as a birthday present. It's loving beautiful, but now I am torn on what to do with it. Should I just do a standard salt, pepper, oak smoke, or something else? My brisket skills are good, but not amazing. I have however made a number of batches of KILLER pastrami, and wagyu pastrami sounds pretty incredible. Should I separate the point from the flat and do the point alone S&P, then the flat pastrami? Something else?

What say you goons?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Doom Rooster posted:

My dad just gave me a whole 12.5lb wagyu brisket as a birthday present. It's loving beautiful, but now I am torn on what to do with it. Should I just do a standard salt, pepper, oak smoke, or something else? My brisket skills are good, but not amazing. I have however made a number of batches of KILLER pastrami, and wagyu pastrami sounds pretty incredible. Should I separate the point from the flat and do the point alone S&P, then the flat pastrami? Something else?

What say you goons?
[/

[quote="Doom Rooster" post="498070077"]

What say you goons?

Smoke that poo poo

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Doom Rooster posted:

What say you goons?

I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts here, because I recently picked up a whole brisket and while it’s not wagyu, was thinking of doing the same (I.e., smoke the point and make pastrami with the flat). I’m still getting the hang of my smoker so splitting it into two projects feels like a better way to improve over doing the whole thing in one go.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Shave it and make Philly cheesesteaks

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Suburban Dad posted:

Meh, this lady is a loving loser.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's Perth, not known for its urbane cachet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I vote separate out and experiment.Variety is good.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
She literally tried to get a court to prevent them from hanging it in their own backyard with their family and using the grill.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

She literally tried to get a court to prevent them from hanging it in their own backyard with their family and using the grill barbie.
ftfy

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Did a rack of baby backs on my somewhat new to me smoker. https://louisiana-grills.com/shop/grills/charcoal/lgk24-blue

This is probably around the 4th time I've used it, and I have to admit I had somewhat of buyer's remorse on it because it and me just didn't seem to jive. But my god finally got it dialed in last night and nothing was greater than watching that temp just cruise along. All is good in the world now. The price at Costco was easier to stomach than a Big egg.

Unloading it was a bitch though. :v:

As for the ribs, awesome.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Did a rack of baby backs on my somewhat new to me smoker. https://louisiana-grills.com/shop/grills/charcoal/lgk24-blue

This is probably around the 4th time I've used it, and I have to admit I had somewhat of buyer's remorse on it because it and me just didn't seem to jive. But my god finally got it dialed in last night and nothing was greater than watching that temp just cruise along. All is good in the world now. The price at Costco was easier to stomach than a Big egg.

As for the ribs, awesome.

That’s next on my list. I need one to build into the outdoor kitchen I’m planning.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was surprised how loving heavy my Traeger 575 was when I had to get it out of my car. I had to have my son help me. He almost dropped it 5 times getting it from the van into the house. I finished putting it together after everyone went to bed and went to wheel it out to my back porch. All went great until I made it to the lip between my kitchen slider and the back patio. I had to find a creative way to lift it up quietly over the lip without waking my infants up. At one point I thought I was going to dump it over it was so loving heavy. Thankfully made it unscathed.

Kept it simple and smoked some chicken legs on Tuesday. They turned out phenomenal. Juicy as hell, and the whole family was blown away at how much better these tasted than just grilling them. I'm going to do a tri tip on Saturday and a pork shoulder on Sunday. I have no idea what pellet goes well with what, but mine came with their Reserve blend, which is Oak/Cherry/Apple.

Is this a fair guide?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy some blend pellets on amazon and use them for everything and I’m happy. I’m not cleaning out the hopper of pellets to switch flavors.

Edit: these ones
CookinPellets 40PM Perfect Mix https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00819OICI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DzPCDbAATHWN5

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 6, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Some reviews say they've found plastic in them. Hmmm.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
https://amazenproducts.com/accessories/fuel/amazen-pellets-20lb-pitmasters-choice

I've been using these on everything. No plastic.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I just use chunks of plastic. It stays lit and gives off smoke... And you can get it pretty much anywhere cheap.

I actually use the Amazen stuff as I got a buncha bags from them because they sent me a mess up A-Maze-N.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is this a fair guide?

Yeah, apple for pork. Cherry for birds. I do hickory or oak for beef.

tl;dr Just buy a few different bags of wood chunks and smoke with it. I'm at around the end of my stash so need to buy before the season really ends. I'll toss what I have in.

But cherry will give you that nice reddish color on something that used to fly.

In the end, there is no right or wrong. Selection of smoking wood is not one of them. It's all good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Is this a fair guide?

No, not really. Oak goes well with almost anything, mesquite is great with pork, etc. Really not sure what the metrics are supposed to be for that chart.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There are a lot of reviews on the amazon pellets and I’ve never had a problem.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I usually go for a mix of hickory / mesquite for that deep smoke flavor and I'd I want something lighter I use apple/cherry/pecan.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Is this a fair guide?

Eh, i've used apple, cherry and maple on my smoked salmon and they didn't taste off or anything. Maple probably actually came out the best. I want to try alder though, i just haven't gotten around to buying a bag. Also i would imagine mesquite on fish to be pretty powerful. That's one of those woods you normally only see for southern bbq.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 7, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No, not really. Oak goes well with almost anything, mesquite is great with pork, etc. Really not sure what the metrics are supposed to be for that chart.

Yeah I was going to jump on that. I've heard of hickory as the king of smoking wood but oak is the queen.

Mesquite is an ambassador from another country that is bound by completely different rules.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Back with some more beef ribs. Beef ribs are the easiest and have the best results given the effort.

Rub: ~1 pt kosher salt, 2 pt course pepper

Beef ribs were rubbed with Franks Hot Sause and then coated with the rub. It wasnt too heavy handed but enough coverage; think about the amount of salt you'd typically used for the size of the meat and apply appropriately.

Smoked bone side down starting at 260F, then ramped up to 280. Spritzed (think direct spray, not a mist) on the edges that were drying out faster than the rest of the bark with an apple cider and water mix.

Took off at about 6.5 hours, when my thermapro easily when through all membranes between the bones and let them rest for about an hour or so wrapped in just butcher paper.

Since this was for a party, I cut the meat off the bones and chunked it up for easy grazing.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've a full packer in my freezer that I'm going to defrost, is there any worth to smoking the whole thing? Or should I trim and separate out the point/flat and smoke those separately.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Really depends how many you plan to feed. I always smoke them whole and then freeze leftovers since there's always a ton left, but I could see it making sense to only do half now and half later.

I haven't had much luck doing just a flat vs. doing a full though, it got too dry.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

McSpankWich posted:

Yea beef really only needs salt and pepper, and really not even all that much. The pepper becomes way more spicy than you think after being smoked.

On a big rear end brisket that rub I'm sure would have been fine but your meat to bark ratio is tilted a lot towards the meat side compared to beef short ribs.

That said, I think I'm swearing off both brisket and beef ribs and just sticking to smoking pork ribs and shoulders. The beef ribs were okay but I like braised 10x as much, and I don't think I like brisket enough to bother with it over just grilling a steak. Or I'm just not that good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is there not a grilling thread?

Is this the grilling thread?

What's happening?

Where am I?