Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mans posted:

did you bring a land force?

At this point the AI’s so beaten he could just sail into pearl and have the crews disembark as an occupation force :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Carriers are in close, and here come the single engine attack planes.

I have to say, I was expecting greater numbers.

Now we seem to be on to the less scary ones – maybe they are saving the 120+ wave for later....

but it just seems to be more of the previous – level bomber after level bomber.

My own attack is taken apart by the CAP – but this was never about victory, but making our presence known.

The afternoon strikes begin, and we see two more avengers.

Finally, after raid after raid, they land a bomb hit!

Then a second!

My afternoon wave meets the same fate as the morning one.

Then we get the prize – she may not be a warship, but hitting anything this close to their main base is a political win!

In a day of inconclusive dog fighting, this is all I need to claim victory.

We lose big in this wave.

Then they hit us several times more.

My losses are catastrophic, but that was never the point. People are outraged that after four years of war, the Japanese are still able to strike at Pearl Harbor.

With minimal damage.

Meanwhile, two more Allied ships and their crews are at the bottom of the ocean.

There are protests on the streets of most major American cities. In Britain there is also a weariness from six years of war.
It is announced a few minutes before midnight that the allies have signed an armistice with the Empire of Japan – the stalemate that is costing so many lives daily, and the apparently inability of Allied generals to win any form of victory, it is decided to give the Japanese their gains and settle for Peace.

The Soviet Union requires more convincing, but their own heavy losses against the Germans means that Stalin also sees the need for peace – without the lend-lease supplies from the Allies, the crippled Soviet forces will be forced to crawl across China while their Allies are at peace.

Japan claims its war gains, and there is little the Allies can do except demand inspections of the areas, more to save face than anything else.

Reports of the Allied incompetence begin to come in.

Pearl Harbor contains one battleship and one carrier.

It's airfields filled with heavy bombers and other planes with pilots past their service dates. There is one squadron on Avengers on the base.

So where are the rest of the allied ships?

The bulk of their fleet is safely holed up in San Francisco – with no intention of ever coming out to fight.

The vast majority of the air force is also stationed at bases here. No wonder we saw no real threats at Pearl Harbor – the Americans have been stockpiling their more deadly planes here.

The post war inquests lead to huge numbers of Generals being dishonourably discharged and sentenced to long prison terms. General MacArthur takes his own life in a cell.

Japan goes into a boom post war, as it has unrestricted access to oil and raw materials from the Greater Co-Prostperity Sphere, and the world as we know it changes.....

Thank you for sticking with me on this one – I love to read you comments, and I'm just sorry the AI was so broken to not give much of a threat. I hope you've enjoyed it!

I think I'm done with this game now though.....

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Wow. Can't believe its been that long. Great LP grey, and shame about the terrible AI.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Thank God it's over.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haha San Francisco, good job AI.

See you whenever WitP 2 comes out Grey

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Great job. I think you've done infinitely more playtesting than the developers ever did.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This game's AI is loving insane. God bless, Grey, I can't think of many people with the fortitude to play through the last, boring year.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Thank you for doing this game and also every other game in this series, Grey Hunter! I started reading your original War in the Pacific LP the day it launched all the way back in December of 2009 and haven't missed an LP of the War in the ______ series since then. I would never play these awful games, but you've made them very fun to follow which I can't say for any of the AARs on the Matrix Games forums.

I know that you are currently doing a video LP of the full German campaign of War in the West on YouTube, but will you be doing that game's Battle of the Bulge scenario as the Germans when the video series is done? It's probably the only way to actually go on the offensive as the Germans in that game. Also, before I forget, do you have plans to play War in the East 2 when it comes out, and possibly whatever horrible hack job of a game they inevitably make that combines both that game and War in the West?

I wonder if suing for peace with the Soviets means that they'll have to give up everything they took in Manchuria and China and retreat to the pre-war border. If so, I could easily see war erupting there again in the future, although I don't think the other Allies will ever challenge Japan after a defeat of this magnitude. It'll be funny as well if relations between the Australians and Americans sour after the war due to the fact that the last Allied warship sunk during the war was Australian while the fleet at Pearl Harbor did nothing.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 3, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please post the save or at least show off the juiciest kills for both sides

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also thanks for doing these, they are always fun to watch along.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
It’s been a hell of a journey, thanks for the years of entertainment you’ve provided us.

What a miserable train wreck of an AI...

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Read both these threads start to finish and it's been an honor Gray. Excellent work!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The Emperor thanks you for your service.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Grey, thank you for 8(?) years of daily entertainment. Your dedication and hard work is profoundly appreciated. Well done!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So did the Allies have any tankers left to support any offensives?

Also, whatever happened to the Aoba? My lucky ship has been missing for three years...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
My guess is the allied AI war plan didn't account for failure, so later operations simply couldn't be started. That meant the ships and assets needed for those operations simply languished at their original bases.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
An absolutely incredible effort, Grey. It's hard to believe it's been almost four years since this thread started.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks Grey.

Captain America was at home, washing his tights!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Congratulations 🎉

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
The original Grey Hunter WITP LP was what got me to buy an account on these forums. Amazing that it's been so long. Thank you GH for your dedication!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is there a link of the highlights somewhere? Want to see the Yamato run down the Enterprise with her guns again

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for doing this, Grey. That was fascinating to watch. Kind of crazy that the AI just sat on multiple carrier battlegroups in San Francisco, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
What an incredibly terrible and broken game.

Thank you for suffering through it for us, Grey.

We'll never forget the Enterprise

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Awesome run, Grey. I’ve enjoyed your LPs for almost a decade now and am continually impressed by your work. :thumbsup:

It is fitting that the game ended with a whimper because of lovely AI. The true shame of WitP is not the interface, which you can learn albeit with difficultly, but the poor AI, which the player can’t do anything about.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What a terrible game, and what a great LP.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Grey, thanks for many many years of entertainment.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wow this game sucks, please never play it again

Incredible LP tho

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Congratulations, Grey, and thank you very much for your continued dedication to our entertainment.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Did they ever find out the location of the Tokyo Bay Fortress?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hot drat! Well done GH, I'm glad I was able to get into this thread on Pearl Harbor day (number one). It's been a pleasure rolling along with your domination of the Pacific for the last four years.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Too bad about the lovely AI, but thank you so so much GH for doing this for literally years. I imagine in 20 years when WitP 2 comes out, GH Jr. will be doing the LPs, can't wait for that.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Crazycryodude posted:

Wow this game sucks, please never play it again

Incredible LP tho

Pretty much. It was cool watching you play but every excruciating step felt like anti-advertising for the game.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

gohuskies posted:

The original Grey Hunter WITP LP was what got me to buy an account on these forums. Amazing that it's been so long. Thank you GH for your dedication!

Same here. Congrats for surviving three WITP games. Too bad one ended earlier due to corrupted save.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

And so the long war comes to an end. An amazing job, GH, even if the game proved over and over again that its AI is incredibly bad.

dublish posted:

So did the Allies have any tankers left to support any offensives?

Also, whatever happened to the Aoba? My lucky ship has been missing for three years...

Meanwhile, my lucky ship never appeared over the course of the entire playthrough. :v:

Hell, Shigure was in fact the only one of the 10 Shiratsuyu-class destroyers that didn't appear.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Thank you for your dedication, Grey. It's incredible that you managed to pull this off once, let alone twice.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thanks for running this Grey, and as both sides no less!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Kind of crazy to realise the day-by-day account of this is done.

Kind of terrifying to realise you've done this twice.

Well done Grey, and thanks for all the WiTP fish :)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Thanks for seeing the broken mess through to the end Grey, it's been a fun ride.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Wow, weird to not have an update for these any more. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Congratulations!