Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Scourge Arrow is real easy. You stack as much attack speed that you can reasonably get while adding flat.

Get yourself a Tempest and as much flat lightning as you can and you're set for endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

I don't have the brain power necessary to remember what Impale and Maim do, or what the differences between Chain and Fork are

Impale is basically just "when you do physical damage, you do more physical damage"

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Lightning trap sabo still fine for a league starter?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

BobbyK posted:

seems to be. the pyromaniac node got a slight nerf but it's still a strong build that doesn't need any uniques and really only eventually wants a tinkerskin and a wise oak

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

BobbyK posted:

I think the harder question is finding a build that's real bad as a league starter. I'm sure there's bunch of scrub tier mistakes that people make, but I've gotten to maps with every self-made jank build I've tried.

Maybe my definition of "league starter" is different than everybody else's, though.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
the only thing i didn't like about LT trapper is how long the animation locks you in

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

boo_radley posted:

I think the harder question is finding a build that's real bad as a league starter. I'm sure there's bunch of scrub tier mistakes that people make, but I've gotten to maps with every self-made jank build I've tried.

Maybe my definition of "league starter" is different than everybody else's, though.

Builds that are attack based, but specific weapon attack based, tend to fare poorly as league starters unless you know what you're doing. Even though I always end up 'maining' a bow character for the bulk of a league, I never start as a bow character; unless I'm running something that uses either a Quill Rain or a Storm Cloud / Tempest.

So like doing Sunder is fine because you can use (1h or 2h) maces, axes, or staves. Doing Blade Flurry is a bit more bold and adventurous than I would like for a league starter because you need to use claws, 1h swords, or daggers. And finding one of those for a reasonable price in the first weekend is probably going to be harder.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Follow up question, do most trap builds eventually transition to LL/Shavs for more damage or do you stick to just with tinkerskin?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

BobbyK posted:

Follow up question, do most trap builds eventually transition to LL/Shavs for more damage or do you stick to just with tinkerskin?

Tinkerskin w/ EB lets you basically have infinite mana for traps, and lets you fully reserve your mana proper. I would say that these days doing LL/Shavs is very much not worth it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

For me a good league starter is something that can get to maps in under 6 hours and can push into T13+ with a budget of ~2ex and no hard to acquire build enabling items.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I'm hopeful that Wasp Nest will stay cheap since it's really common but if a lot of people are playing Assassin then it might spike initially. Fireball Ignite is probably smarter but meh.

Maybe everyone will be playing minion builds instead.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vasudus posted:

Tinkerskin w/ EB lets you basically have infinite mana for traps, and lets you fully reserve your mana proper. I would say that these days doing LL/Shavs is very much not worth it.

Hey thanks for the answer and in general all your helpful advice. I was going to do your fireball build for league start but I can't resist a celestial mtx

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Traps real strong (I mean, patch notes today etc.) with not a lot of gear. If you are playing the basic lightning traps build you can basically swap it out for whatever skill you want as there's very little lightning damage on the tree. I finished the season with purifying flame traps and that owned.

Tinkerskin is very much a QOL item, there's better choices for defence or offence but it's best in slot for removing jank.

They've removed the gloves mod that adds 1 extra trap however which was an insane upgrade for basically free so I imagine early on that will be missed.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Vasudus posted:

2 leagues back I did Arc traps and did the swap, played for a couple of hours and swapped back because it just played so much worse. LL/Shavs hasn't gotten better for traps since then.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

going LL/Shav's for glacial cascade mines meant that you could run a taste of hate instead of a life flask. it never made a ton of sense for arc traps/mines since vinktar's isn't as effective and the damage was already insane

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Alright, so I'm gonna try the Assassin autobomber build, but that doesn't come online until basically endgame. What can/should I level with? I've done the acts a billion times so I just run through as fast as I can, but I've never done an assassin before.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

BobbyK posted:

Lowlife is something you'd do to take on endgame content. I don't think LT is good for that to begin with, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So is there a guide anywhere for the Fireball Trickster build? I see a couple for Elementalist but they're all pretty outdated (before the Ele ascendancy got nerfed it sounds like?) and I don't see any guides for Trickster.

Still trying to decide between that, a Spark Inquisitor, or a HoAG Scourge Arrow build. All 3 seem cheap, capable of beating all content, and fairly straightforward to play, and since I'm playing on console those are pretty much the most important factors.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

and there are fire/lightning variants as well

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jinnigan posted:

the only thing i didn't like about LT trapper is how long the animation locks you in

Frostblink is your friend. It is instant-speed and allows you to dodge even in mid-throw of a trap without interrupting the throw. If you're in a pile of enemies its cooldown lowers automatically, and if you have the enchant for it, it moves your really far.

500 good dogs posted:

Alright, so I'm gonna try the Assassin autobomber build, but that doesn't come online until basically endgame. What can/should I level with? I've done the acts a billion times so I just run through as fast as I can, but I've never done an assassin before.

Well, the no-button version of the build relies on Abberath's Hooves. If you can get really lucky to make some money at the start of the league, or get a similar leveling item that is valuable early league and cheap later (i.e. Tabula), you can consider trading it in for Hooves. Hooves are always 10-15c in the middle of a league but pricey at league start because they're an outstanding leveling item that will carry you singlehandedly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAx4oDAM4io

Failing that, it sounds like one of the most reliable Assassin league starters is Frost Blades and it has synergy with Herald of Ice which you'll be leveling anyway: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2093747

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Vasudus posted:

I used to run Elementalist but that was before the Trickster rework and before Elementalist lost the free prolif this league. If I run it next league it's 100% going to be a Trickster.

It's a pretty simple build concept really, here's a skeleton that I just cooked up: https://pastebin.com/erC7wNvY

You can pick either Swift Killer or Prolonged Pain for your Uber Lab ascendancy, dealer's choice. This framework is good for any type of ignite spell based build - Fireball, Incinerate, or Stormfire + Divine Ire. Build has plenty of wiggle room - 5 free points in the PoB link, and you can move things around as you see fit since there's a bunch of good nodes all over the place.

I personally always run EB + MoM with my Tricksters now but you can run whatever.

Your links are Fireball, GMP (swap with Swift Affliction on bosses), Deadly Ailments, Combustion, Ignite Proliferation, and Empower (can also run Unbound Ailments or Efficacy until Empower 4). A 21/0 Vaal Fireball is *usually* very cheap except at the absolute start of the league.

The playstyle is very fluid - you can basically run around throwing out one cast of fireball per pack, and when it's up hit Vaal Fireball which is basically 'gently caress you and everyone within 9 square screens of you'

Quoting cause someone asked. It'd need a look over with the new tree but that should work for a basis pretty well.

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If you have 100% impale chance it's effectively 50% more physical damage, 70% more for the champion node that gives +2 impale stacks, multiplied by increased impale effect. Actually more than that because impale damage is calculated before damage mitigation.

Impale is based on your post-mitigation damage, it just doesn't go through mitigation itself so the mitigation doesn't double-dip. Base impale is always exactly 50% more.

500 good dogs posted:

I like Winter Orb CWC Ice Spear. Plenty of crit synergy, benefits from the same nodes on the tree, and can use a lot of the same supports.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I was a big fan of Lightning Trap in Legion. I started out with it and grew it all the way to the end (easily killed everything but Aul because I never found him). Here's a random snapshot PoB I took when Ciaphas was asking about LT midway through the league: https://pastebin.com/TUEfPEyb (Ignore my weird links on LT. I was playing around with Charged Traps and GMP to see how they felt clearing monoliths.) I went with Malachai's + Lightless chest instead of the EB/Tinkerskin route, though with the Pyromaniac changes, I might reconsider that choice.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hate patch notes day because they always publish them so late I might as well go to sleep and read them in the morning while taking a poo poo

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Magus42 posted:

Christ, what are the odds of getting two stacking enchants on this thing. That’s bonkers

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I hate patch notes day because they always publish them so late I might as well go to sleep and read them in the morning while taking a poo poo

Countdown timer - https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20190904T18&p0=22&msg=Path+of+Exile:+Blight+Patch+Notes&font=cursive&csz=1
As of posting 8 hours 10 minutes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zenithe posted:

Christ, what are the odds of getting two stacking enchants on this thing. That’s bonkers

Practically nothing. It's garbage trash. You best bet if you're going to use it for whatever reason would be to get a good enchant on it then anoint it with something predictable and matching the enchant.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Vasudus posted:

Practically nothing. It's garbage trash. You best bet if you're going to use it for whatever reason would be to get a good enchant on it then anoint it with something predictable and matching the enchant.

I'm much more interested in throwing two oils on it, provided it can grab Timeless Jewel notables, though if it caps at 50% reduced, I'm much less interested in it. Netting effectively 35% resistance from a helmet with bad stats otherwise isn't all that interesting. 40% reduced and we're cooking. Suspect it's 50% sadly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magus42 posted:

The silhouettes are almost a perfect match on Photoshop.

I think this is the first time I notice a unique being a "recolor" (excluding the ones that share the same theme with other uniques on purpose), although granted how detailed and different the new item is and the fact that there are only so many different hoods you can have I don't really mind that.

quote:

"The Berserker's Crave the Slaughter no longer grants a chance to deal Double Damage, with this bonus being moved to War Bringer if you've used a Warcry in the past 8 seconds."

The good thing of being a War Bringer taker is that you only get buffed.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 3, 2019

J
Jun 10, 2001

Level 32 deathless uber elder kill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzp5sx6ZRA4

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ugh no idea what I'm starting with. Considering going back to my old friend of tricurse Vortex Occultist again to start, might be real good depending on how they moved around generic dot multi on the tree.

Vasudus gimme your tree for pure phys skelebros when it's up :skeltal:.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm leaning towards Soulrend for my starter, I miss it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

theshim posted:

Vasudus gimme your tree for pure phys skelebros when it's up :skeltal:.

step 1: take every minion node on the tree

step 2: link brutality to summon skeletons

step 3: run pride, dread aura + generosity, and flesh and stone

step 4: brutal.boney.bois.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is there a good spectre to run with a phys setup? I'll probably use a couple carrion golems too but for the full zoo I gotta have some specs (gently caress zombies)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wonder how melee skelly clear will be with dashing skellies

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Is there a good spectre to run with a phys setup? I'll probably use a couple carrion golems too but for the full zoo I gotta have some specs (gently caress zombies)

I'm going to try out the phys risen vaal advocates and the undesecratable knitted horrors that have become viable with the spectre level changes. Failing that there's always "gently caress it, spectres are for clear not single-target, solar guards or frost sentinels"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Anybody done Signal Fire BV Chieftan? I've wanted to try out BV again after doing Tri-Herald BV Elementalist back in .... Delve league? And I've also never really played a Chieftan build so I thought it might be fun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MMF Freeway posted:

Carnage Chieftain every time.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Magus42 posted:

What exactly does '52% reduced fire resistance' mean? Normally it would be phrased as '-52% fire resistance'. Does it take your total and halve it? Total above zero? Can you still cap with enough, or does it halve your cap as well? Item is trash if the latter is true, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Still thinking of going mines as starter, possibly arc mines if new mines don't pan out and if mines overall doesn't work, lightning trapper again.
What I am wondering is, how bad will be at most 10% regen from Saboteur be, and generally which defenses and body armour. Kinda makes me wish for a Tinkerskin for mines.
Maybe I'll go LL again, it worked well in Legion with LT.