Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

not seeing the problem here

The slower the format the worse playing against t3feri and field of the dead is going to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AnEdgelord posted:

The slower the format the worse playing against t3feri and field of the dead is going to be

still not seeing the problem here

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

still not seeing the problem here

then you are lost

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AlternateNu posted:

I actually want the round Guilds rug. :ohdear:

:same:

looks nice

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

then you are lost

you're the one that wants the game to end before turn 4, i'm just looking to play some good ol fashioned magic

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

1) so do we have confirmation for how Adventures work? Activated ability, castable from graveyard, castable from hand, or are we just guessing?

2) lmbo goldilocks is a berserker

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
she's clearly a bearzerker

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1) so do we have confirmation for how Adventures work? Activated ability, castable from graveyard, castable from hand, or are we just guessing?

no idea yet

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

you're the one that wants the game to end before turn 4, i'm just looking to play some good ol fashioned magic

It has been a very long time since an aggro deck could kill on turn 4 in standard and even if it could that is 400% less miserable than endless grinding t3feri/field mirrors. Especially since neither of those cards are "good", "old fashioned", or "magic".

Edit: Also I played control for most of this standard and play uw control in modern. I'm no stranger to long games but these cards make for miserable games of magic and without aggro decks to check that the future of the format sounds awful.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

2) lmbo goldilocks is a berserker

My bears on wall are ticking clock BERSERKER

Anyone want to try the next line

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

AnEdgelord posted:

It has been a very long time since an aggro deck could kill on turn 4 in standard and even if it could that is 400% less miserable than endless grinding t3feri/field mirrors. Especially since neither of those cards are "good", "old fashioned", or "magic".

Edit: Also I played control for most of this standard and play uw control in modern. I'm no stranger to long games but these cards make for miserable games of magic and without aggro decks to check that the future of the format sounds awful.

There’s more than one aggro deck that can kill on turn 4 in standard right now

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Time posted:

There’s more than one aggro deck that can kill on turn 4 in standard right now

fine but that doesn't really matter for the rest of my point

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

T1 scorcher T2 cavalcade T3 spitfire T4 assorted hasty goblins.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

fine but that doesn't really matter for the rest of my point

the rest of your point was also woefully inaccurate

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I love the promo storybook frame soooo much, I need sets of the Gingerbread one. :kimchi:
Because he has to be one!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

the rest of your point was also woefully inaccurate

lmao

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1169022264182038531/photo/1

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So I guess it's more like monstrous? That cars doesn't make much sense unless you can use both halves

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

So I guess it's more like monstrous? That cars doesn't make much sense unless you can use both halves

it makes plenty of sense if you can't use both halves, it's called a downside

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lone Goat posted:

it makes plenty of sense if you can't use both halves, it's called a downside

Didn't realize the mana cost was so low at first you're probably right

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Beast in love with a Thopter. Also, "Noble" is a creature type now?

dragon enthusiast posted:

she's clearly a bearzerker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2LZ4AwyEU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that makes me think you can't use both sides because that card would be fairly nuts if you could. "G: make a 1/1" is a fairly gross repeatable effect to tack onto a 3 mana 5/5 (even one that can't attack most of the time but can still block). i think they're probably sorcery/creature split cards; the sorcery half resolves and goes to the yard like a normal sorcery, the creature once resolved effectively doesn't have the adventure text box.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Saw this in the cEDH discord, and I want it. >_>

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

that makes me think you can't use both sides because that card would be fairly nuts if you could. "G: make a 1/1" is a fairly gross repeatable effect to tack onto a 3 mana 5/5 (even one that can't attack most of the time but can still block). i think they're probably sorcery/creature split cards; the sorcery half resolves and goes to the yard like a normal sorcery, the creature once resolved effectively doesn't have the adventure text box.

Agreed G for a 1/1 is too good to be repeatable but it's so clearly set up to use the adventure side I'm convinced you'll be able to go adventure then cast from exile.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Finally a 'back to basics' set, where based on the card alone we can only speculate as to how it actually functions

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AlternateNu posted:

The Beast in love with a Thopter. Also, "Noble" is a creature type now?

Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Saproling and the Beast

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

also apparently they've got a new euphemism for "not tanking the price of the secondary market"

Where is this quote from because lol

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The flavor on the beauty and the beast card owns

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Eej posted:

Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Saproling and the Beast

tremendous

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is it a failure of design that we can only speculate to how adventures work without the instruction manual?

maybe the regular editions will have reminder text?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

is it a failure of design that we can only speculate to how adventures work without the instruction manual?

Those are the promo frames. I would be surprised if the standard ones didn’t have reminder text.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bet the commons will have reminder text. Possibly their creature halves will all be vanilla to fit it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I get the feeling that it can be reused, but since it's a spell (and?) an activated ability, it can be countered. So maybe that's the "downside" since activated abilities don't have quite as many counters otherwise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm tending towards non repeatable activated ability (a la monstrous), that counts as a spell

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

i'm tending towards non repeatable activated ability (a la monstrous), that counts as a spell

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I wonder if it's going to be part of the story for the set that the fairy tales are all a little off. Goldilocks makes bears instead of killing them, the beast gets more aggressive when beauty is around, and so on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i honestly think it's just a creature/spell split card because too many of the other options make the beauty and the beast card absolutely bugfuck nuts.
if it's an activated ability it's the best one they've printed on a creature since stoneforge
if it's an aftermath style card it's a hyper-efficient beater that basically always two-for-ones your opponent
even if it's an activated ability you can only use once it's busted for the above reasons combined. plus the last two times they did that (monstrous, renown) they used +1/+1 counters to solve the "memory issues" problem, and neither of the cards we've seen do that, so it's very very unlikely that that's how it works. also activated abilities don't have names.

so my guess is it's a split card; you can cast it as a sorcery, in which case it resolves as a sorcery and goes to your yard, wherein it is both a creature and a sorcery. or you can cast it as a creature, in which case its "adventure" text box is blank.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's going to be like forecast

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
My guess is that it’s a spell you cast while the permanent it’s attached to is in play, requiring you to either tap it, discard a card, or both as an additional cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It can't be an activated ability because that would be stupid and if it's a split card than the card is beauty or the beast which is clearly a flavor fail