Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The original SNES version of Yoshi’s Island was only rereleased on the SNES Mini so far.

I know considering where we're at I'm wishing for the moon and stars here, but there isn't even a 'yoshi's island definitive edition.' The GBA remake contains 6 new levels and a handful of small quality of life improvements, but it looks worse and especially sounds like complete poo poo compared to the SNES version. So the ideal version would add in the GBA improvements and new levels into the SNES version of the game. Right now, you need to get a SNES romhack that faithfully recreates the new levels in the SNES engine. Like others have been pointing out, huge barrier of entry there, so that's enthusiast-only content. Literally, piracy is required for the 'best' and most complete experience of a goat tier all time classic. How many hours would it take Nintendo to put together Yoshi's Island DE and release on Switch? And how many millions would it sell at $3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyrim Job
Sep 1, 2019

by Smythe
They're scared to sell you emulators incase another Haxchi situation arises

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I know considering where we're at I'm wishing for the moon and stars here, but there isn't even a 'yoshi's island definitive edition.' The GBA remake contains 6 new levels and a handful of small quality of life improvements, but it looks worse and especially sounds like complete poo poo compared to the SNES version. So the ideal version would add in the GBA improvements and new levels into the SNES version of the game. Right now, you need to get a SNES romhack that faithfully recreates the new levels in the SNES engine. Like others have been pointing out, huge barrier of entry there, so that's enthusiast-only content. Literally, piracy is required for the 'best' and most complete experience of a goat tier all time classic. How many hours would it take Nintendo to put together Yoshi's Island DE and release on Switch? And how many millions would it sell at $3?

There's a pretty big romhack scene for YI. I wouldn't be surprised if someone already didn't back port the GBA levels back into the SNES version.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Yes, it exists, the romhack I was referring to in that post. It's called secrets of yoshi's island

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've got to try that YI hack. I wonder if it will work on SD2SNES.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

It's worth giving a shot. The new levels are great postgame content and especially 5 and 6 are non linear and loop back on themselves like much more fleshed out versions of the impossible maze (extra 4)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yes, it exists, the romhack I was referring to in that post. It's called secrets of yoshi's island

I somehow completely missed that part of your post.:blush:

Thanks for the name of the hack, I’ll check it out.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I picked up a Wii U and going through the motions to install CBHC on it. As I'm doing that, I'm realizing how much I hate the Wii U controller. I have a Wiimote at home but what are the recommended controllers for it? Should I buy a Wii U pro controller?

I plan on playing mostly Wii and GCN on it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bank posted:

I picked up a Wii U and going through the motions to install CBHC on it. As I'm doing that, I'm realizing how much I hate the Wii U controller. I have a Wiimote at home but what are the recommended controllers for it? Should I buy a Wii U pro controller?

I plan on playing mostly Wii and GCN on it.

Pro controller is a solid choice, that thing is way more comfortable to use than wiimote or tablet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

pro controller is a great gamepad and you can use it on PC too

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks! Looks like they go for around $30. Anything I should be aware of for these? For example Joycons have drift, N64 joysticks turn to mush, etc..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bank posted:

Thanks! Looks like they go for around $30. Anything I should be aware of for these? For example Joycons have drift, N64 joysticks turn to mush, etc..

The Wii U Pro controller is pretty much perfect so no. Just make sure you're getting an actual one.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Make sure it's a Wii U one and not a Switch one. The switch pro controllers don't have a good dpad.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah, my problem now is trying to find a clean one. I'm pretty picky when it comes to my controllers. Most of the ones I've seen so far are grimy and/or have plastic scarring. Why oh why did Nintendo have to use such cheap glossy plastic.

New ones are pretty darn expensive. I might have to scour my local Gamestop to see what kind of garbage I can sort through.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomFerret posted:

Yoshi's Island is just about the worst example you could have picked. I personally own that game on four different platforms (snes cart, gba, wii vc and snes mini)

And only the SNES version is worth playing, the GBA bonus levels are fun but they ruined the game otherwise.

RandomFerret posted:

The real pisser is stuff that's so lost in red tape nobody could rerelease it even if they wanted to. You want to buy eternal darkness, you're going to need to spend some serious cash on eBay and hope the disc isn't too scratched up

This too, it sucks that games can literally be lost to time because consoles eventually die and so to discs and cartridges.

Skyrim Job
Sep 1, 2019

by Smythe
San Andreas running on Android on the switch is amazing... What's some other good android games?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Dragon Quest games all have really good phone conversions. Except for DQVIII, that's a poor port.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

OpenMW is a decent port of Morrowind, there's also an open source port of HL1 that supports mods and expansions

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there any way to use the Wii U Gamepad as a Wii Classic controller? I know you could for Wii games that you can buy on the Wii U eShop but I mean for every game. What about a Switch Pro controller?

Skyrim Job
Sep 1, 2019

by Smythe
9.0.0 is out, different tsec keys so it breaks cfw, obviously wait before updating if you want to use yours

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Can someone point me in the direction of the best programs for emulating/injecting/whatever GB, GBA and SNES games on my recently modded 3DS?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Can someone point me in the direction of the best programs for emulating/injecting/whatever GB, GBA and SNES games on my recently modded 3DS?

Injected cias people already made are your best bet. Not too difficult to find.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Butterfly Valley posted:

GBATemp

edit: Basically everything by Asdolo: https://gbatemp.net/search/member?user_id=389539&content=thread

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 12, 2019

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I missed my Wii (non-u) with USB Loader GX and Nintendont, I have run into 2 minor issues. First, Nintendont is apparently using an internal or emulated memory card for GameCube, I found this out because I plugged a real GameCube memory card into my console and it crashed Mario kart after the first save, and refused to load Zelda at all. Fortunately, I found that simply removing the memory card let me play the games with (almost) no issues. I would like to be able to use the genuine card only because I think it would prevent the memory card loading screen of Nintendont from showing up, and it would be easier to transport my saves to my friend with a GameCube. Do I need to simply plug the card into slot b, or disable the emulated memory card, or what?

The next problem I think is much easier, I can't figure out how to exit the GameCube games and go back to USB Loader. I searched Google and it said when using a Nintendo GameCube controller to press R + Z + Start, and I think that combination is resetting Nintendont, but not exiting Nintendont. Instead, I simply press the power button on my Wii and it goes to fully shut down immediately, which means completely rebooting to switch games. Besides just the added annoyance of having to actually walk over to the console, I am worried this might not be very good for my hard drive to be shut off unexpectedly.

Lastly, I have a second Wii that is newer and lacks the GameCube controller or memory card ports, does this mean I cant play GameCube games?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
1. I think there's an option in the Nintendont settings to emulate the memory card or not. You probably have to turn off memory card emulation to use a real one.

2. I think I hit the reset button on the system itself I don't think I ever found a way to quit back to menu out of GameCube games since the console literally turns into a GameCube and at that point can't function like a Wii any more. (This is my understanding please correct me if I'm wrong.)

3. You can also set Nintendont to emulate the GCN controllers and allow you to use classic controller pro etc. to play GameCube games.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
1. I tried looking in the settings, bit I simply didn't see anything that obviously looked like GameCube memory card emulation. Should I look under the settings in USB Loader or do I need to actually fire up the Homebrew chsnnel, then Nintendont and look for the setting?

2. I em, actually never realized the button beside power was reset, I assumed it was more like a PS3 or Xbox 360 where the power and reset button are the same. I will try just hitting reset from now on, I wish there was a better solution but I guess that will work.

3. I do have a couple classic controllers for a wiimote, the only issue I have with using those is I don't want to have a Wii mote tied to the controller. Is there any other kind of controller I can use with the new Wii + gamecube?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm pretty sure the memory card setting is somewhere in USB launcher but if you can't find it, do HBC to Nintendont and fix it in there.
After posting I remembered the reset button might just reset the GCN mode and only reboot the game rather than going back to the home menu. Sorry.
And yeah my classic controller suggestion does mean you need the Wii mote plugged in. I think I've heard of people getting other controllers working but I've never tried.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I believe exit is R+B+Z+dpad down

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Use usbloadergx to boot Nintendont, which will allow you to exit back to the visual library by hitting the Wii home button.

Your smaller Wii is a crappier version and yeah, you can't play GC games natively.

E: just use a pro controller. Put the wiimote in your lap and you'll forget it's even there. Also allows you to play Wii games that have ZL, L, ZR, R

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 30, 2019

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If you get the GameCube controller USB adapter they released for Smash on Wii U/Switch you can use them, that’s what we do with Nintendon’t on Wii U anyway.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Use usbloadergx to boot Nintendont, which will allow you to exit back to the visual library by hitting the Wii home button.
I am using USB Loader GX to load my GameCube games, and at least with my GameCube controller connected, the Wii mote won't connect at all so the home button won't let me exit. I have not yet tried to use a wiimote in a gamecube game since I sorta like having a genuine controller, I just wish it were wireless. I could buy a wireless GC controller, but I would prefer something that would not require the bulky receiver. That said, R + B + Z + D-pad down appears to work for exiting Nintendont.

quote:

Your smaller Wii is a crappier version and yeah, you can't play GC games natively.
It is not a Wii Mini, it's a full size Wii, just Wii without GameCube ports. According to Google, I think it is an RVL-101, but I am just guessing since I am not sure how to check the version. I think this one can 0lay GC games, just without a standard controller. The RVL-202 or Wii Mini is supposedly unhackable, according to Google, I find that difficult to believe.

quote:

E: just use a pro controller. Put the wiimote in your lap and you'll forget it's even there. Also allows you to play Wii games that have ZL, L, ZR, R
I own 2 controllers, for a Wii that look like Classic controllers with handles, are these pro? I like them, but I think they are kinda made for smaller hands than mine. I think it is possible to use a PS3 controller with the Wii, I watched a YouTube video showing someone doing this, but they kept it connected by the USB cable.

Keito posted:

If you get the GameCube controller USB adapter they released for Smash on Wii U/Switch you can use them, that’s what we do with Nintendon’t on Wii U anyway.
Thanks, I will look into this!

I currently own 1 GameCube controller, I want more. Should I go with Nintendo branded ($$$ possibly worn out) or eBay branded ($ quality???) controllers?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Crotch Fruit posted:

The RVL-202 or Wii Mini is supposedly unhackable, according to Google, I find that difficult to believe.

This was actually true for quite a while. The thing is, the Wii Mini does not have any obvious way exchange data with the outside world. It has no Wi-Fi, no SD card port, and no USB ports; it was purely designed to play Wii disc games and nothing else. The disc drive only accepts pressed and Nintendo signed discs without hardware mods. So how would you even hack it?

Turns out, there is a way: The Wiimotes still communicate with the console, over bluetooth! Someone found an exploit there, so the Wii Mini is now finally hackable. Though really, with the lack of USB and SD, it's kinda useless...

e: Apparently it does have USB ports but no implemented network stack. So I guess with homebrew it would be possible to use USB HDDs, at least.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 30, 2019

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Crotch Fruit posted:

I currently own 1 GameCube controller, I want more. Should I go with Nintendo branded ($$$ possibly worn out) or eBay branded ($ quality???) controllers?
YMMV but in Japan they are gearing up to release another batch of official Smash GameCube controllers as well as the adapter. I haven't checked if the US has the same plans or not but don't spend $$$ on a second hand Nintendo branded one just yet. You could probably ship it from Amazon Japan new for cheaper than the used ones are selling now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pegnose Pete posted:

YMMV but in Japan they are gearing up to release another batch of official Smash GameCube controllers as well as the adapter. I haven't checked if the US has the same plans or not but don't spend $$$ on a second hand Nintendo branded one just yet. You could probably ship it from Amazon Japan new for cheaper than the used ones are selling now.

This already happened last year.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Cojawfee posted:

This already happened last year.

Fair enough. They are all sold out in my region and sell for 40-50 used and 100 new, hence YMMV.
e: Amazon USA has people trying to sell them for 140 new so there's that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't know if they were from the original printing but I found the official GC controllers at my local Best Buy a few months ago.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
So I picked up a second hand Wii U. The sellers are not the original owners so it looks like they don't have the PIN or password.

I can't get past the account selection screen. The one profile is password protected. Hitting "create account" brings up the parent controls PIN prompt. Getting the PIN wrong several times doesn't give me the "inquiry number" necessary for the master key generator. I can't get into system settings to do a reformat.

I'm wondering if I'm screwed on this one. Has anyone been in this situation?

I would love some new Gamecube controllers that didn't cost more than a used gamecube.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Get your inquiry code (you recieve it when you mess up the PIN 3 times and the secret question 3 times).

That and seems to imply you need to mess up the secret question a few times too.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
As I mentioned, there was no way to get the inquiry code from the inescapable account selection screen.

I called Nintendo and after a 25 minutes they fixed me up. The process involved delinking the Nintendo ID account from the Wii U, which removed the password requirement to enter the main menu. It's done by holding +, - and Y at a specific screen and reading some codes to the tier 2 customer service person who gives you a 16 digit code to input back into the Wii U.

Turns out the system came loaded with digital copies of Splatoon 1 and Bayonetta so the former owner had good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There would have also been this:

https://mkey.salthax.org/

edit: altough maybe that wouldn't have helped since you also need inquiry number for this