Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DaveSauce posted:

Traffic is a problem because of human drivers doing stupid poo poo. True the volume won't change, but it will be massively more efficient if every car on the road is communicating with each other and planning its route in coordination with every other car.

Merging, lane changes, exits, etc. will all be seamless. Sure it won't be 90mph all the time during rush hour, but things will move MUCH smoother.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Autonomous vehicles are a bandaid. We need to figure out teleporters yesterday.

I'm perfectly ok being murdered at home and reborn at the grocery store or wherever. Bonus points if the lovely computer gives me an extra limb or does a gender swap for one whacky day.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DaveSauce posted:

if every car on the road is communicating with each other and planning its route in coordination with every other car.

That's a thing that is entirely beyond the basic prospect of autonomous cars. There are days when my car won't even communicate with my phone. If your scheme requires all the other cars from all the different car manufacturers running different software from different manufacturers, probably only several percent of which are actually patched to the latest version, to communicate with each other for basic navigation, your scheme is not going to work. Software sucks. The IoT sucks. What you describe is a pipe dream for venture capitalists.

Hell, I want to see four autonomous cars, from four different companies, show up at a four way stop at the same time and figure out who moves first.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Phanatic posted:

Hell, I want to see four autonomous cars, from four different companies, show up at a four way stop at the same time and figure out who moves first.

I'd like to see four people manage this.

Minority Report style self driving cars ASAP please

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The real solution to traffic is not having people commuting an hour+ each way for their job so they can afford a 4,000 sqft house in the middle of nowhere, suburbia. I live 4 miles from downtown in a small cozy and old vintage home and it's a 15 minute drive most days.

I love seeing news articles about boomers not being able to sell their mcmansion ranches in the country because nobody under 50 wants them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you’re in my market it’s more like commuting an hour so you can afford an 800sqft apartment with roommates, the Bay Area is even worse.

CO and CA are BWM.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Barry posted:

I'd like to see four people manage this.

Minority Report style self driving cars ASAP please

There is a short 10-20 sec Canadian standoff until they figure out who is the most assholish aggressive driver. Then that driver goes first.

That said, long commutes from exburbs or boomburbs are BWL. I would love to see them disappear for a less car based arrangement.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sleepy gary posted:

Assault Rifles 15.
What are the other 12 for?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phanatic posted:

That's a thing that is entirely beyond the basic prospect of autonomous cars. There are days when my car won't even communicate with my phone. If your scheme requires all the other cars from all the different car manufacturers running different software from different manufacturers, probably only several percent of which are actually patched to the latest version, to communicate with each other for basic navigation, your scheme is not going to work. Software sucks. The IoT sucks. What you describe is a pipe dream for venture capitalists.

I'm looking forward to the days of shady back-alley hackers tuning your autonomous vehicle (AV, as those in the industry call it) algorithms to give you priority in either/or situations. Or hacking the algorithms so that your life is worth 10 pedestrians or whatnot. Or using the communication protocols to rewire other vehicles' algorithms to give you priority. Emergency vehicles will probably have that capability and we all know the government is terrible at securing their back doors. Running late? Just spoof your car to look like an ambulance.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Running late? Just spoof your car to look like an ambulance.
Nah, just hack some other cars so they crash and there's actually an accident. Then when you're late you can point to the accident as the cause of the traffic jam that made you late.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eric the Mauve posted:

My favorite conversation to have with almost everyone goes roughly like this:

"Are you looking forward to self-driving cars?"

"Hell no. I will NEVER get in a self-driving car. I don't trust them."

"So you'll never trust a computer as much as you trust yourself?"

"Never."

"OK. Different question, would you trust computers more than you trust all the other morons and assholes and moronic assholes on the road?"

"Hell yes. ... but I'll never allow a computer to drive MY car."

The fact that it will probably take a violent revolution to make autonomous cars ubiquitous in the US is closely connected to the fact that every single human sincerely and vehemently believes that I am a well-above-average driver.
I read a thing where a survey on how autonomous vehicles should handle the suicide trolley problem changed dramatically depending on whether they questions said "a self driving car" or "your self driving car"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Splicer posted:

I read a thing where a survey on how autonomous vehicles should handle the suicide trolley problem changed dramatically depending on whether they questions said "a self driving car" or "your self driving car"

"We absolutely guarantee that our latest model will choose your life over anyone else's, even innocent children"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

GamingHyena posted:

Automated networked vehicles will be a massive national security issue because you’re centralizing your entire transportation system down to one point of failure. Given America’s lackluster willingness to secure critical infrastructure I can’t imagine we will be any better when it comes to autonomous vehicles. Of course there’s also the massive privacy issue of who controls the data about where you’re driving but given we already live in a panopticon of mobile devices real time driver info will likely seem quaint in comparison.

Can’t wait for my 2050 Huawei branded vehicle to only go 30mph max because President Eric Trump decided to get into a trade war with China again. Or drive 100mph into the nearest power plant because he decided to get into an actual war with China.

Plus the electromagnetic spectrum requirements would be insane to coordinate, and could be shut down by any rear end in a top hat with a low power jammer built with $50 worth of off-the-shelf components.

e. not trying to be a naysayer as I'd love to see an answer to the problem, but am not smart enough to know what it is myself.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 3, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Plus the electromagnetic spectrum requirements would be insane to coordinate, and could be shut down by any rear end in a top hat with a low power jammer built with $50 worth of off-the-shelf components.

e. not trying to be a naysayer as I'd love to see an answer to the problem, but am not smart enough to know what it is myself.

So now instead of running over pedestrians because the sun was in your eyes, your car could run them over because sunspots.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

sleepy gary posted:

Assault Rifles 15.
It's the civilian counterpart to the Murder 16 that the army uses.

On a lighter note, have some GWM warm fuzzies to break up the usual BWM gloom in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/czbmyd/i_dont_know_what_to_do_with_money/ posted:

I'm a 21 year old young lady and I have 20k saved. What do I do? Do I invest it? What even is investing? Should I start a retirement fund? A Roth IRA is best I think? I have a job and my boyfriend doesn't currently, I also have had a car for most of our relationship and he doesn't. Is it selfish of me to cut him off from my finances since I want to get on a much stricter budget? How do I meal plan? Should I stock the family pantry or should I only buy myself food? I'm on a different page then everyone else in my life. No one else seems to have a savings or any financial health so I don't have anyone to question or have give guidance. My dad tries to but we've always been broke so I can't imagine his advice is real. I'm doing fine on my own but I think I'd really be doing amazing with some advice. Thanks again.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This got lost in car chat, but thank you for sharing this. I wonder what I'm gonna come back as.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh man, 90 posts. I bet something really hilarious got posted!

Oh.

Nope.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

Oh man, 91 posts. I bet something really hilarious got posted!

Oh.

Nope.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I tried, but the derail bird didn't work and /r/pf is kinda thin today.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dig deep for what we missed....I should have thought of this sooner.

How do you live with tough financial choices? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 26 days ago * by keket87

quote:

I'm in debt. Like a lot of it. $79k in student loans ($52k at 3.75% and 17k at 0%). I also have about $35k in unsecured consumer debt ($7200 at 21%, $900 at 20% and $9200 at 0% for another 2 months). Before you all jump on me, yes, I now have a budget that I stick to and I've learned my lesson about living within my means, but I still have to deal with the debt. I have about $2500 in savings/RRSP/TFSA accounts, which I don't contribute to right now. I have not been able to get a consolidation loan because of the debt load that I already have.

I recently applied for a consumer proposal at $800/month for 60 months. It would wipe out the larger of the student loans (which is listed as a personal loan, essentially the bank lent me the money to pay off my government student loan at a lower interest rate), and the consumer debt. The 0% student loan would stay however. The bank countered with $1225/month for $60 months, which is basically what my minimum payments would be for all of it anyway. I offered $900/month, but was still rejected. I'm currently in a period where I can either withdraw the proposal entirely, or go with it, I'm waiting to find out how long the proposal stays on my credit report if I withdraw it.

More to the point: Regardless, I have a $400 shortfall each month. I pick up extra shifts were I can, and have trimmed my budget back as far as I can without impacting my boyfriend's quality of life as well (yes, he knows about the debt). The issue I'm struggling with is that I own a horse. I've been with her since she was 3, and have owned her for the past 3 years; she's 17 now and she's my whole world. My dream came true when I bought her from my riding coach. Her board is about the cheapest you can find around here, but she has medications and tack needs and shoes and vet care, and when I average out the numbers, it's about $700/month. I know I need to give her up and I have a potential home for her who will let me lease her from them so I can continue to be in her life, but this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Even when it's the only option, how did you find the strength to make the really deep cuts? I just feel so guilty about having to give up the horse who's given so much to me over the years.

TLDR: Very financially broke, but about to be heart broke as well as I come to the painful realization that the only way out of debt is to give up the most important "person" in my life.

ETA: If I withdraw from the proposal, it stays on my credit for 3 years.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Oh man, 90 posts. I bet something really hilarious got posted!

Oh.

Nope.

No offense, but this post, the empty post, and the two birds were the only bad posts in the past 90. The self driving car chat was super interesting.

Humans are wired to be frustrated when they see Rules Get Broken, but there is no need to backseat mod when there's good conversation going

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 4, 2019

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Here solve the trolley problem for the car.
http://moralmachine.mit.edu/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No offense, but this post, the empty post, and the two birds were the only bad posts in the past 90. The self driving car chat was super interesting.

You are probably interested in this because you hadn't already lived out this entire day in the tech nightmare thread, which is a much better place to discuss it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

itskage posted:

OK this is a VERY cool link, wow.

I thought each dilemma had a pretty obvious "correct" answer until 12 and 13 (of 13) which made me uncomfortably aware of my biases in earlier questions. Yikes!

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Moneyball posted:

I told you not to talk about me on here

drat son this used to be bannable

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Motronic posted:

You are probably interested in this because you hadn't already lived out this entire day in the tech nightmare thread, which is a much better place to discuss it.

It’s a “much better place” if you want a circle jerk by people who know nothing about tech (beyond being mindless consumers of it) but feel qualified to debate its finer points.

Like, seriously, the tech nightmare thread is the D&D Left’s (but I repeat myself) version of MAGA-style tech-hate. It’s equally lovely and embarrassing.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
In the next 5 years automated posting bots will drag threads off topic without human intervention.

I like these titles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cyttl1/should_i_refinance_my_62_month_auto_loan_at_219/ posted:

Should I refinance my 62 month auto loan at 21.9% interest to a 72 month loan at 3.99%?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cscs2j/i_make_1800mo_just_bought_a_22k_car/ posted:

I make $1800/mo & just bought a 22k car

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ctgjpz/first_auto_loan_does_20_interest_sound_right/ posted:

First Auto Loan, does 20% interest sound right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cywraj/got_two_car_repossession_on_my_record_but_got/ posted:

Got two car repossession on my record. But got approved from Carvana for a 26% apr and $700 down. What options do I have for getting a car?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

OK this is a VERY cool link, wow.

I thought each dilemma had a pretty obvious "correct" answer until 12 and 13 (of 13) which made me uncomfortably aware of my biases in earlier questions. Yikes!

Well what the hell were your biases?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I killed a bunch of cats, apparently, which is weird since I really like cats.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I apparently saved a bunch of old ladies. I could never bring myself to pick a change of course to hit another group. Something about deciding who dies and changing course to accomplish that doesn't sit right with me. Although I had the car commit seppuku every time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

itskage posted:

y'all missed the kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyanideandhappiness/trial-by-trolley

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I never saw a single cat but had lots of dogs, I'm guessing it's pseudo-randomly generated?

All else being equal I'd opt to kill the car as well. Step into the death trap, don't be surprised when :zaurg:

e.

quote:

$3,538,065
pledged of $69,420 goal
noice

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Moneyball posted:

I apparently saved a bunch of old ladies. I could never bring myself to pick a change of course to hit another group. Something about deciding who dies and changing course to accomplish that doesn't sit right with me. Although I had the car commit seppuku every time.

I swerved a lot to show that I made an effort in a bad situation that doesn't have a right answer.

Resulted in killing a lot of old ladies and saved a lot of kids.

Except the cats. gently caress the cats.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Guest2553 posted:

I never saw a single cat but had lots of dogs, I'm guessing it's pseudo-randomly generated?

All else being equal I'd opt to kill the car as well. Step into the death trap, don't be surprised when :zaurg:

e.

noice

One of my scenarios had a self driving car with three dogs and no other occupants. Cool doggos goin for a ride.

TraderStav posted:

Except the cats. gently caress the cats.

:regd09::hf::regd09:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

StormDrain posted:

Well what the hell were your biases?

The questions are vague. For example: are those people in the crosswalk jaywalking? Is anyone watching?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Watch like Singapore or something make a law where everything is required to be fully autonomous and car deaths drop to nearly 0 and it pays for itself with efficiency boosts due to not having any more crashes or traffic and then everyone else goes "well ya know over in Asia the cars drive themselves! why don't we have that uh hyuck" but it never actually gets implemented anywhere else because the government is owned by lobbyists and inside business deals

then a few years later you're getting your rear end whipped for spray painting an autonomous car in the United States of Singaporhea

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phanatic posted:

The questions are vague. For example: are those people in the crosswalk jaywalking? Is anyone watching?

It always specified whether the pedestrians were crossing with a Walk or a Don't Walk sign.

I'm not sure what to think of "Is anyone watching" since this is supposed to be your opinion of the most moral choice, not "what would you do". But.. there are survivors (albeit not always human) in every scenario, and it is reasonable to assume that the car would have records of the event.

You'd get along well with my coworker. He said this website was dumb because it doesn't specify the model of car, type of seatbelts, number of airbags, or the material of the barrier, which might significantly influence the fatality rate of the car passengers.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

How far are we from the decelerating, car-filling gel from Demolition Man? I'm short and have to sit dangerously close to the airbag as things stand right now.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

OctaviusBeaver posted:

In the next 5 years automated posting bots will drag threads off topic without human intervention.

I like these titles:

Sure why not

Cool story bro

Wtf I got approved for a 8.9% loan with a job offer letter, where tf do these first time car buyers go?

‘02 Mitsubishi Galant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No way is serving into a barrier at the speed you would be driving on a street with a crosswalk fatal.