Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This game owns in case anyone was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

site posted:

celeste is free on the epic store right now, if you ever missed that

+Inside, the second atmospheric platformer from the LIMBO devs!

Next week is The End is Nigh (a Super Meat Boy-style platformer from the Binding of Isaac developer) and Abzu (relaxing marine exploration).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 29, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The only free game that I have ever gotten that I have played, finished and replayed was Subnautica.

Most free games that I have come across, and I search on near a daily basis because i am dirt poor, are just meh.
OK, but i mean, this is likely why they were free right?
Because they either just weren't that good or they are trying to drum up interest in their new one, like in Subnauticas case.

e: not that good, is wrong, not appealing to a wide audience is probably a better way to put it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Most of the free games going up on Epic are genuinely good, and quite a few are even less niche than Subnautica (like Celeste). Epic is throwing their Fortnite money around left and right to try the get the store off the ground.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes games are free because they're older and are so far down the long tail of sales that providing them for free has no real impact on the sales (and weirdly, sometimes leads to an increase of sales on platforms where they're not free since they're back to the forefront of people's minds)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The developers of DiRT Rally have a very odd conception of what a "custom championship" is.

No, I don't want a Finland stage--their roads are absolute trash

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Finland stages were really fun. Just jam the front wheel into the ditch on the inside of the corner and let it pull you around.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

In my experience that typically resulted in repeatedly qualifying for the Nailed It! achievement. The Renault Alpine is very roll-friendly.

Though I may not have been doing it to the inside corner. On Sweden in the Open now but that'll be good to remember.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mutant Year Zero was another genuinely good game that the Epic Store gave out.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

dogstile posted:

Mutant Year Zero was another genuinely good game that the Epic Store gave out.

It's a good looking game that works just fine mechanically, and I'm gonna try it again, but I'm bouncing hard off of it. Maybe I skipped something, or I'm just bad, but it seems like the difficulty curve is way to steep. I can't get past the first fight in the first, main non tutorial mission. And the world building comes across as lazy. You control a "Stalker", you hunt "Ghouls" in "The Zone", you find things made by "The Ancients", your main base is "The Ark", it's a bunch of placeholder labels.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

oh dope posted:

It's a good looking game that works just fine mechanically, and I'm gonna try it again, but I'm bouncing hard off of it. Maybe I skipped something, or I'm just bad, but it seems like the difficulty curve is way to steep. I can't get past the first fight in the first, main non tutorial mission. And the world building comes across as lazy. You control a "Stalker", you hunt "Ghouls" in "The Zone", you find things made by "The Ancients", your main base is "The Ark", it's a bunch of placeholder labels.

The trick is to not treat it like X-Com and take it on its own terms. You need to do everything you can to off as many enemies as possible before you get to the main fight. Get three stealth weapons and get them upgraded ASAP. Dux and Selma start with one each, there's another in the side area right after you meet Selma, and you're not going to get better stealth weapons than the ones you get early. If you need to down some one who has more health that you can burn through in one stealth round, you can use a stun ability (like Bormin's Hog Rush) to keep them from alerting anyone on their turn to give you more time.

In a big firefight enemy control is basically the name of the game. Stuns, snares, and smoke grenades are all super important. Feel free to upgrade your main firefight weapons to level 1, but save level 2 for the obvious endgame high tech guns.

Also I think that's just the terminology of the original 80s P&P game. Roadside Picnic was influential.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 30, 2019

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
That's very useful advice, I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks. And I didn't know about the 80s RPG, so all that makes a lot more sense now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A lot of it is really cool, you start to get a feel that this really is just people who have no idea what the gently caress came before. But yeah, treat it as a stealth game first and foremost. I actually ended up sneaking by areas and coming back later with different people/powers. Sometimes i'd find an area that had two goons and a big guy, so i'd kill off all three without using powers and then go back to the bigger area and use my power to take out an enemy i can't take out with straight shooting.

Also yeah hog rush is basically mandatory.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Ubisoft is launching an Uplay+ subscription service for all their stuff on Uplay, and there's an offer for a free month.
You will have to provide personal data and a valid credit card, but if you cancel before the jig is up, it's a free month of Ubisoft games.

Are you free games thread people interested in these kinds of credit card tied offers? Or should 'free game' mean more like: Click a link, get steam code/installer, play and forget?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

StoryTime posted:

Are you free games thread people interested in these kinds of credit card tied offers? Or should 'free game' mean more like: Click a link, get steam code/installer, play and forget?

My friend, nothing anyone can ever give this thread will be free of criticism.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

StoryTime posted:

Ubisoft is launching an Uplay+ subscription service for all their stuff on Uplay, and there's an offer for a free month.
You will have to provide personal data and a valid credit card, but if you cancel before the jig is up, it's a free month of Ubisoft games.

Neat. I checked the list of their games on Wikipedia (since the See All Games button on that page doesn't work), and I have no interest in 99.99% of their games, but cool for those who do.

StoryTime posted:

I have no problems listing this kind of thing.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

My friend, nothing anyone can ever give this thread will be free of criticism.

Oh I have been in this thread before.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

StoryTime posted:

if youre gonna list that type of thing id ask that it be disclaimered real up front like you did because i want no part of that

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I mean, it's a subscription service, it's as much "free" as saying you can get a free month of Netflix or Prime Video if you cancel before they charge the next one.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Has anyone been able to actually get into Uplay+ yet? I keep getting an error message when I try to use it.

E: haha I just checked and the Uplay+ tab in the client has vanished entirely.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Seems to still work in mine, what I'm thinking about right now is whether I really want to check out how much worse Trackmania Turbo is than real Trackmania.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StoryTime posted:

Seems to still work in mine, what I'm thinking about right now is whether I really want to check out how much worse Trackmania Turbo is than real Trackmania.

It's alright, I had fun with it

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Kheldarn posted:

I have no problems listing this kind of thing.

:same:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The thing that impresses me most about Ubi is how many different weird semicomplete Gamer Portals they've made. I swear there were three different pseudosocial systems created just for the AC series alone.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/Faqs/000045736/Content-available-through-UPLAY

quote:

Due to technical reasons Anno 1800 will not be available on UPLAY+ at the launch of the service. We are working to make it available for players as soon as possible. We’ll provide a more precise date when we can.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Eh, with Origin Access and Microsoft Game Pass at $5/month each, they're really not selling me on it with the only option being $15/month.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

I mean, it's a subscription service, it's as much "free" as saying you can get a free month of Netflix or Prime Video if you cancel before they charge the next one.

But the Switch thread assures me that the NES games are free completely

Despite needing to pay to get access to them

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Len posted:

But the Switch thread assures me that the NES games are free completely

Despite needing to pay to get access to them

Yea but if you get a free month, it's still free games. Just because you have to suffer the horror of cancelling something doesnt make it not free for a month.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"games you can legally play for free that you would otherwise have to pay for"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If anyone has free (or paid) Destiny 2 and actually wants to keep access to it then you will need to transfer your account to Steam otherwise you will lose it.

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/PCMove

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

If anyone has free (or paid) Destiny 2 and actually wants to keep access to it then you will need to transfer your account to Steam otherwise you will lose it.

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/PCMove

Thanks for the reminder! I haven't played in a while but I saw this a while back while on my phone and forgot.

Guess the actual transfer isn't until October 1?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's going to suck for anyone who dropped off Destiny 2 and wants to get back into it in a few months.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Given the game's going free to play and they're giving everyone super powerful gear to start, are you actually losing anything from not linking other than stats and cosmetic gear?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Oh, I didn't realise it was going F2P. The email made it sound like you would lose access to the game entirely.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The F2P version includes all DLC up to (but not including) Forsaken, and you'll supposedly be able to access future areas regardless of if you have the DLC or not (you just won't be able to do the campaign/quest stuff I guess???)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

~Coxy posted:

Oh, I didn't realise it was going F2P. The email made it sound like you would lose access to the game entirely.

You will because its going F2P on Steam since Bungie is free from Activision now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samuringa posted:

You will because its going F2P on Steam since Bungie is free from Activision now.

Now if Diablo could just get free...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its main purpose I believe is to bring a console save across to PC if you want to move platform. But not merge save, if you have a PC and console save you'll have to choose which one to bring over and the other will just get deleted. They're not doing merging of gear or anything because I heard on the most recent Giant Bombcast that they lost a bunch of premium currency doing the cross save thing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Samuringa posted:

You will [lose access] because its going F2P on Steam since Bungie is free from Activision now.

I don't get it. If it's gonna be F2P on Steam then I will be able to play it because it will be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

~Coxy posted:

I don't get it. If it's gonna be F2P on Steam then I will be able to play it because it will be free.

if you have any pre-existing progress on destiny 2 through battle.net you will lose it if you don't migrate to the Steam version, is how I read it. For someone brand new to d2 they lose nothing, of course.

as to why the email sounded overly serious, well, we're dealing with gamers here so god knows they gotta be as unsubtle as possible :v: