Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

funkybottoms posted:

it's a weird scene, man; our six-person production crew includes a 26yo black dude who's obsessed with ELO, the Beatles, mumble rap, Frank Zappa, and Death Row records and a 22yo suburban white girl who almost exclusively plays barrelhouse blues, cowboy music (Gene Autry, Marty Robbins), and... dubstep. lots of dubstep. which, you know, is cool in a production facility because it primarily sounds like equipment failing and poo poo going wrong. one guy has similar taste to mine, so it's fun when it's just us and we blast poo poo like Jesuit and Deadguy with impunity, and the other two guys listen to a mixture of decent stuff and total poo poo. fortunately, it's a pretty good crew and i'm lucky that someone playing that same loving Dilated Peoples record again is generally my biggest complaint of the day, and nobody whines too much so long as my poo poo doesn't have harsh/crazy vocals, hence the need for more instrumental jams.

Our brewery team is (mostly) three people, with one or two others popping in now and again to help. I'm lucky that the other two dudes are into at least stuff like Iron Maiden and Sabbath, and pretty much most of the stuff that comes up in this thread. A few times a week the head brewer indulges his desire for emo or indie stuff, but it's pretty good music-wise for the most part. It was only two of us today and we were jamming Power Trip and Creeping Death and Cult Leader, so that was a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just so y'all know, Boris has patches of vampire rabbits with pedals on their merch table this tour:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Even wearing ear plugs, Boris was so loud I nearly vomited, highly recommended

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Shakenbaker posted:

Just so y'all know, Boris has patches of vampire rabbits with pedals on their merch table this tour:

When I saw them they didn't have any patches. :(

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Detective Thompson posted:

Our brewery team is (mostly) three people, with one or two others popping in now and again to help. I'm lucky that the other two dudes are into at least stuff like Iron Maiden and Sabbath, and pretty much most of the stuff that comes up in this thread. A few times a week the head brewer indulges his desire for emo or indie stuff, but it's pretty good music-wise for the most part. It was only two of us today and we were jamming Power Trip and Creeping Death and Cult Leader, so that was a good day.

oh, i listen to all kinds of poo poo, but nothing tops sds for brewing, so finding this thread has been fantastic

if anyone is going to the Blackout Cookout next Friday and thinks weird, heavy, jazz/prog/metal sounds good, make sure you check out Brain Tentacles; they're pretty fun live. also, i was hanging with their drummer yesterday (he is part owner of a really good vegan food truck that we book) and he said that going to an Inter Arma show is like being punched in the face while your hair stands on end, which is "loving sick," but i obviously don't need to tell anyone here to stick around for that.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

funkybottoms posted:

any recommendations for heavy instrumental poo poo like Bongripper, Omega Massif, Pelican, Belzebong, Karma to Burn, etc? i know most of the "big" names, i think
Yuri Gagarin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boa96c7uOSM&t=469s

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

funkybottoms posted:

her second metal show is gonna be a huge letdown

any recommendations for heavy instrumental poo poo like Bongripper, Omega Massif, Pelican, Belzebong, Karma to Burn, etc? i know most of the "big" names, i think

one of the guys from omega massif is in cranial which gets pretty heavy. they have a new album out september apparently which i should check out

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

European stoner doom goons, aussie band HOLY SERPENT are coming your way and I highly suggest you see them if they play near you. Absolutely one of the best acts in this genre and extremely worth your time.

They deserve far better than being stuck in this wasteland of low quality screamo-adjacent heavy bands.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I really can't emphasize how much rear end Merlin kicks/hauls. They come up in the thread often but poo poo

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
This is gonna be a weird question, but maybe someone can help out.

Does anyone know bands with merchandise shipping from Europe to Asia? I want to get some cool t-shirts now that I'm officially middle-aged, but I live in Asia. It looks like USPS international shipping starts at 20 bucks, which is ridiculous.

A few years ago I ordered a shirt from Elder and shipping was only 6 bucks from Germany, which is much more reasonable. The lead singer was the one doing the shipping, and he even e-mailed me to check the address.

So where can I get some cool shirts that doesn't require me paying more for the shipping than the shirt itself?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Really wish there was a good answer too. I recently spent nearly as much on UK-US shipping as I did on a shirt because only the band's official site sold licensed merch. Thought I'd let them have a couple bucks rather than some knockoff Amazon seller.

(It was a Sisters of Mercy shirt)

So really, the only valid option is to buy enough merch to make the shipping worthwhile!

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

cryptoclastic posted:

This is gonna be a weird question, but maybe someone can help out.

Does anyone know bands with merchandise shipping from Europe to Asia? I want to get some cool t-shirts now that I'm officially middle-aged, but I live in Asia. It looks like USPS international shipping starts at 20 bucks, which is ridiculous.

A few years ago I ordered a shirt from Elder and shipping was only 6 bucks from Germany, which is much more reasonable. The lead singer was the one doing the shipping, and he even e-mailed me to check the address.

So where can I get some cool shirts that doesn't require me paying more for the shipping than the shirt itself?

Evil Greed ships from Germany and has stuff from tons of bands.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trabant posted:

Really wish there was a good answer too. I recently spent nearly as much on UK-US shipping as I did on a shirt because only the band's official site sold licensed merch. Thought I'd let them have a couple bucks rather than some knockoff Amazon seller.

(It was a Sisters of Mercy shirt)

So really, the only valid option is to buy enough merch to make the shipping worthwhile!

I love the Sisters more than anyone but that's one band I'd be ok buying a knockoff of since Andrew never paid anyone but himself lmao

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Drifting a little out of this thread's sphere, but the initial line-up for Amfest has been announced.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kvlt! posted:

I love the Sisters more than anyone but that's one band I'd be ok buying a knockoff of since Andrew never paid anyone but himself lmao

:laffo: You're not wrong!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Saw Big Business last night. They rule live.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Detective Thompson posted:

Saw Big Business last night. They rule live.

I saw em Saturday night, it was pretty great. I never saw them before but would absolutely recommend it now. Those guys are both very very talented.

My friend lucked out and bought a drum head spattered with drummers blood. I’m still jealous.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Revisiting the last Conan album. I forgot about it quickly after it released. Didn’t dislike it or anything but if you listen to the band you know they’re a bit more of a “killer sound and vibe” band than a memorable riff band. Maybe that’s just me. Anyway they’ve actually managed to write some of the catchiest and most well paced parts of their discography this time around. I wonder if it will catch on with me now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fuuuuck yes

https://twitter.com/gileadmedia/status/1168978551279951872?s=19

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Saw sleep live Sunday in my own home town at the club I saw my first concert in. loving amazing. First show with concert full frequency earplugs too and it was a goddamn glorious event.

Matt Pike's sweaty butt cleavage in person.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Faffel posted:

First show with concert full frequency earplugs too and it was a goddamn glorious event.

How did you find using these plug things? Someone was telling me they're worth using and I should try them but IDK what to think. You can hear the music OK but you can't hear your mates talking right into your ear? How is this even a thing, please enlighten

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I don't know how they work but it's loving amazing. It was so loud but my ears didn't ring at all after. They basically cut the decibel level and then cut off some of the most damaging frequencies, but it leaves the sound and volume very much intact.

They're just called musician or concert earplugs. You should be able to find them on Amazon or at music stores for around thirty bucks. I got ones by Vic Firth myself.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 4, 2019

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In case any of you DMV area fucken wizards don't know, Nebula and Sasquatch are playing DC9, one of the town's best tiny clubs tonight. It should be absolutely killer

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://www.musicradar.com/news/al-cisneros-sleepom-when-im-stoned-its-readily-apparent-whether-a-rhythm-has-a-shelf-life-or-not

This is great

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Alright now that I've given the new Crypt Sermon a few spins now, this is definitely far and away the best album of the year for me. It's sooooo good, goddamn. The vocals, the riffs, the solos, man, it's all perfect

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

punished milkman posted:

Alright now that I've given the new Crypt Sermon a few spins now, this is definitely far and away the best album of the year for me. It's sooooo good, goddamn. The vocals, the riffs, the solos, man, it's all perfect

Wait they have a new album out??? I was thinking about them yesterday wondering when they would be releasing new music!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wait they have a new album out??? I was thinking about them yesterday wondering when they would be releasing new music!

Not officially until September 13th but it looks like Decibel is streaming it early https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2019/09/03/full-album-stream-crypt-sermon-the-ruins-of-fading-light/

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A couple of smaller Florida bands are hitting the road for a small east coast run, Meatwound and Thunderclap. Catch them if you want two flavors of Florida sludge:

9/06/2019 The Atlantic – Gainesville, FL w/ Flying Limbs
9/07/2019 The Jinx – Savannah, GA
9/10/2019 Slash Run – Washington, DC w/ Almas
9/11/2019 Anthorna Gallery – Philadelphia, PA w/ Binary, Billy and the Bad Peach
9/12/2019 The Building – Coplay, PA w/ Noose Party, I’m Done!
9/13/2019 Meatlocker – Montclair, NJ, w/ Concussion
9/14/2019 Worthen Attic – Lowell, MA w/ Bedtimemagic, Skytigers, Birdorgan, Pain Chain
9/15/2019 Dead Air Studios – Amherst, MA (private event)
9/17/2019 Legion Of Doom – Columbus, OH w/ Body Farm, xpaddingtonx
9/18/2019 State Street Pub – Indianapolis, IN w/ Plague Walker
9/19/2019 Northside Yacht Club – Cincinnati, OH w/ Ball of Light, SleepCrawler
9/20/2019 Fleetwoods – Asheville, NC w/ The DiMarcos
9/21/2019 Reggie’s – Wilmington, NC w/ Swamp Raptor, AFA
9/22/2019 Rain Dogs – Jacksonville, FL w/ Unearthly Child, Umanita Nova

On a barely related note it feels kinda lame to lose a filling at a show because of chewing gum and not anything remotely cool like getting kicked in the head.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Shakenbaker posted:

A couple of smaller Florida bands are hitting the road for a small east coast run, Meatwound and Thunderclap. Catch them if you want two flavors of Florida sludge:

On a barely related note it feels kinda lame to lose a filling at a show because of chewing gum and not anything remotely cool like getting kicked in the head.

I live about ten minutes from Coplay, PA, and a friend of mine lived there for over a decade, and I've never heard of "The Building." I also checked maps online and came up with a hair cutting place at the supposed address. I'll need to do more research to see if I can find if this is indeed a real place for future SDS shows, but I have to believe that is incorrect info for that date.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I live about ten minutes from Coplay, PA, and a friend of mine lived there for over a decade, and I've never heard of "The Building." I also checked maps online and came up with a hair cutting place at the supposed address. I'll need to do more research to see if I can find if this is indeed a real place for future SDS shows, but I have to believe that is incorrect info for that date.

I'm guessing you found it already but this is where I took the tour information from and here is the facebook post for the actual show they have up.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

it might just be the name given to some house they're using for shows

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

9/06/2019 The Atlantic – Gainesville, FL w/ Flying Limbs
9/07/2019 The Jinx – Savannah, GA
9/10/2019 Slash Run – Washington, DC w/ Almas
9/11/2019 Anthorna Gallery – Philadelphia, PA w/ Binary, Billy and the Bad Peach
9/13/2019 Meatlocker – Montclair, NJ, w/ Concussion
9/14/2019 Worthen Attic – Lowell, MA w/ Bedtimemagic, Skytigers, Birdorgan, Pain Chain
9/15/2019 Dead Air Studios – Amherst, MA (private event)
9/17/2019 Legion Of Doom – Columbus, OH w/ Body Farm, xpaddingtonx
9/18/2019 State Street Pub – Indianapolis, IN w/ Plague Walker
9/19/2019 Northside Yacht Club – Cincinnati, OH w/ Ball of Light, SleepCrawler
9/20/2019 Fleetwoods – Asheville, NC w/ The DiMarcos
9/21/2019 Reggie’s – Wilmington, NC w/ Swamp Raptor, AFA
9/22/2019 Rain Dogs – Jacksonville, FL w/ Unearthly Child, Umanita Nova

...is xpaddingstonx a SXHC band that dresses like Paddington Bear?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
That would be cool since Paddington is Peruvian 🇵🇪

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Shakenbaker posted:

I'm guessing you found it already but this is where I took the tour information from and here is the facebook post for the actual show they have up.

Thanks. I never got into looking for more info, but this gives me some idea.

nerve posted:

it might just be the name given to some house they're using for shows

I was thinking this last night, and it's gotta be what it is.

Very interesting info for sure.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I played with Thunderclap and partied at their house afterwards a few years ago, super rad people, and a kick rear end band, catch em if they're in your town.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

DC's turn for Boris tonight

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

I copped these and I guess I'll put them on...a western shirt?

Speaking of consumerism I've enjoyed finding all the easter eggs on the Sleep tour poster. "I should look up those numbers dialed into the cockpit of the spaceship seems like they could be Iommi's birthday...and yep"

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At this point in their careers Sleep probably has at least one guy on the payroll who's sole job is finding more ways to cram Sabbath references into things.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shakenbaker posted:

At this point in their careers Sleep probably has at least one guy on the payroll who's sole job is finding more ways to cram Sabbath references into things.

It’s not his only job, he also plays bass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
ELECTRIC loving WIZARD is coming to St. Pete holy loving poo poo!!!!

EDIT - ohoho its the fucken electric wizard