Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Brother Entropy posted:

on the horse archer note, barb camps that spawn a certain number of tiles near horses can start spewing out horseman and horse archers early

it's incredibly annoying

Yeah, a barb camp that can spawn cavalry units can be a game ender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

I remember if funnier. That it was thought to be a major bug because it was affecting how the AI builds, and the same typo was in many places. But the AI was written so poorly that nothing changed even after it was corrected and working as intended.

What happened was that there was another completely different mistake in the yield weighting XML that happened to be largely (but not completely) counteracting the first bug.

Firaxis patched both bugs at the same time, with the net result that the AI got better yield priorities in every era except the classical era... which happens to be a critical period where they're setting up all their early districts, so the holy site spam is nearly as bad as before.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Why in the gently caress is my ally allowed to declare war on one of my allied (suzerained) city-states? And why can I do nothing about it? I hope whoever made that decision dies by fire ants.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Why in the gently caress is my ally allowed to declare war on one of my allied (suzerained) city-states? And why can I do nothing about it? I hope whoever made that decision dies by fire ants.

You can just park your military around the city-state so the ally can't capture it... which is totally what they intended.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fleetwood Crack posted:

That's incorrect. While it's much more likely in betrayal and nuclear, I've seen it in betrayal, nuclear, city-state, and regular old 'city-captured' military emergencies.

That shouldn't happen. You literally don't get to vote in city-state and city captured emergencies if you have a DoF or Alliance with the target. Dunno about Nuclear; I've never seen one pass.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That shouldn't happen. You literally don't get to vote in city-state and city captured emergencies if you have a DoF or Alliance with the target.
Yet another example of the rules for the player being different than the rules for the AI.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Chad Sexington posted:

You can just park your military around the city-state so the ally can't capture it... which is totally what they intended.
In this case the city state was accessible by sea and my entire empire was inland so I had no navy to defend that part of it. I didn't even have shipbuilding researched yet.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sounds like a bad match, if you couldn't defend your vassal!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Allies aren't vassals, though. There's no vassalization in Civ 6.

Typing that makes me want to play Civ 4 again, poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
civ 4 had such great diplomacy options

sure it was a gamey system but who gives a gently caress, it's infinitely better than an AI that automatically hates you just because you have a competitive score

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Dammit, I started Civ 4 again. I don't even know if I still like it, tbh.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Marmaduke! posted:

Sounds like a bad match, if you couldn't defend your vassal!

John F Bennett posted:

Allies aren't vassals, though. There's no vassalization in Civ 6.

Typing that makes me want to play Civ 4 again, poo poo.
Yeah, vassalage was so fun, especially in multiplayer games in civ 4. I remember one game I was playing with my clan and I was the dominant world power, I had 3 vassals under me and decided to make them go to war against the other 4 players in the game. It was literally world war 1, and we all had a blast doing it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31IXlgaKXCo

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Those all sound good to me. I am most excited about the "new world" map with a continent full of barbarians, city states, and "mystery" -- getting your dudes all the way over to the Inca (or trying to) was one of the fun parts of Colonization.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thats all really promising

This gonna be a free update, right? Not a new DLC

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Does anyone know the particulars of the Protectorate War casus belli? I started a game as Mansa Musa recently and Gorgo started attacking Rapa Nui on my western flank, giving me a prompt for the casus belli as I am suzerain.

I took it and proceeded to push her invading army back as well as punish her by razing all her coastal improvements. If I make peace now, that means the war she declared against Rapa Nui is over too, right?

If so, could I theoretically have declared the protectorate war (which seemed to automatically push her units outside the boundaries) and then just sued for peace after 10 turns?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really looking forward to new maps. Hopefully less of those garbage ones with preset sizes.

Elias_Maluco posted:

:cawg: :homebrew:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats all really promising

Yeah it's a patch

Looks like they placed some stuff in the background teasing a 3rd expansion pack. Looks like a Venetian mask and a model ship behind him

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/cz5928/civilization_vi_september_2019_update/eyw4v99?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 3, 2019

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fleetwood Crack posted:

If you remove your suzerain status (moving amani around or w/e) you can trigger a truce.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Great admirals and halicarnassus were already OP and didn't need buff.
Primordial sounds like an epic map mode.
They should work on giving multiplayer basic functionality (i.e. fixing stability issues, sorting lobbies by ping, letting ppl rejoin lobbies, some kind of token leaver prevention, maybe even matchmaking and rank??) before adding new modes that nobody will play.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pewdiepie posted:

Great admirals and halicarnassus were already OP and didn't need buff.
Primordial sounds like an epic map mode.
They should work on giving multiplayer basic functionality (i.e. fixing stability issues, sorting lobbies by ping, letting ppl rejoin lobbies, some kind of token leaver prevention, maybe even matchmaking and rank??) before adding new modes that nobody will play.

Admirals are OP? So far in my short experience I found then really lackluster

The ones I got had a mild bonus on the retire and keep then as admirals to drag around seems not worthy

Maybe apI not getting the good ones?

And speaking about sorting, is really bad how its lacking on almost every list on this game, like available trade routes, city report and others. Actually, the lists are all terrible and crammed with too much information, is a chore to browse then

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Elias_Maluco posted:

The ones I got had a mild bonus on the retire and keep then as admirals to drag around seems not worthy

And speaking about sorting, is really bad how its lacking on almost every list on this game, like available trade routes, city report and others. Actually, the lists are all terrible and crammed with too much information, is a chore to browse then

I agree, there are some really awful admiral abilities- and it's a pity they can't cross oceans by default any more; I always felt that trans-oceanic journeys of discovery were an excellent use of a GA! The balanced abilities look fun, as does the new Mausoleum. And those new maps look excellent.
Finally, they could greatly improve the game by replacing the World Congress system with a man who comes to your door irl and kicks you sharply in the groin.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Gaius_Duilius_(Civ6)
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Santa_Cruz_(Civ6)
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Yi_Sun-Sin_(Civ6)
These 3 are really strong. By making the other early admirals really good now admirals are outrageously strong & that makes Victoria way too good. Maybe it will balance out now that halicarnassus won't let you retire them twice.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Tilted axis seems like a really fun map - though all the new types look pretty good.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pewdiepie posted:

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Gaius_Duilius_(Civ6)
[url]https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Santa_Cruz_(Civ6)
[url]https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Yi_Sun-Sin_(Civ6)
These 3 are really strong. By making the other early admirals really good now admirals are outrageously strong & that makes Victoria way too good. Maybe it will balance out now that halicarnassus won't let you retire them twice.

I'd skip the first one in your list and replace it with the battleship guy instead. It seems weird that there's such a focus on the Mausoleum considering a lot of players (like myself) don't even have the DLC that lets you use it. How do you balance a balance patch when not everyone has the same set of rules?

Reminds me of my latest game, a rather advanced Scotland, got a few quite modern wonders, including the Venetian Arsenal... except the country had no coastal cities, it had just put it on a tile a few spaces out from one of its weaker cities, but didn't have an actual harbour. I assume that one city could've still made ships but wow, just when you're thinking the AI has done a good move, you get that instead...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Just started a quick game and within 5 turns I've been denounced by Khmer for not being religious when it's pretty much impossible to have developed a religion that early in the game. I keep not playing it until I forget all the little stupidity that drives me away until I forget again and then the cycle begins anew...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jojoinnit posted:

Just started a quick game and within 5 turns I've been denounced by Khmer for not being religious when it's pretty much impossible to have developed a religion that early in the game. I keep not playing it until I forget all the little stupidity that drives me away until I forget again and then the cycle begins anew...

i think you'll find that this is actually very realistic and you're just hating on it because it's the latest game in the serie:commissar:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i think you'll find that this is actually very realistic and you're just hating on it because it's the latest game in the serie:commissar:

Not long after, I hit my "favourite" recurring thing. Defending myself against a surprise war, taking a city from my attacker, have them cede it in the peace treaty and now I can look forward to every AI civ repeatedly denouncing me as a warmonger for the rest of the game.

E: that civ (Russia) just denounced me for occupying one of their cities. Is the cede function just completely broken because that would explain a lot?

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 4, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Are you sure that they were denouncing you for the entire game? Because for your specific case that doesn't really happen anymore since the update that introduced grievances.

Or were you just exaggerating for effect?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Are you sure that they were denouncing you for the entire game? Because for your specific case that doesn't really happen anymore since the update that introduced grievances.

Or were you just exaggerating for effect?

Oh no I'm still in the early game. Just that soon after the war ended the denouncing started and in my experience that'll last for the rest of the game. It does seem to have stopped in this specific game so maybe it's finally been fixed. When was that update pushed?

E: I guess the allies denouncements have been fixed but the cede is still hosed cause he just pulled it again:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 4, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It's been a while, it was part of a bigger expansion. I can't remember when it was.

It was a very good change.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Looking forward to playing Maori on a Terra map when I have some time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

jojoinnit posted:

Oh no I'm still in the early game. Just that soon after the war ended the denouncing started and in my experience that'll last for the rest of the game. It does seem to have stopped in this specific game so maybe it's finally been fixed. When was that update pushed?

E: I guess the allies denouncements have been fixed but the cede is still hosed cause he just pulled it again:

Whats wrong with that? Kinda makes sense he would be mad you got one of his cities

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Whats wrong with that? Kinda makes sense he would be mad you got one of his cities

It's a city that was officially ceded a thousand years ago. At some point he should let it go and if cede worked he would only be angry if it was officially "occupied". Unless the Devs have a different definition of cede I'm not getting how this isn't broken.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The way I understand it, is kinda like cores in paradox games: he consider that his city and will forever be upset you have it. It makes no difference that he gave it to you when you were destroying him

Well, I, has a human player, if someone takes a city of mine, I will hate this civ for the rest of the game too, and Ill be waiting for an opportunity to get it back

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I browsed some steam threads about it and it does seem to be officially broken. Apparently the only way to avoid it is to take two cities from them then return one in the peace treaty so the game officially flags that you returned something and then he doesn't care at all about the other one. It's about flagging and you can game it which is idiotic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jojoinnit posted:

It's a city that was officially ceded a thousand years ago. At some point he should let it go and if cede worked he would only be angry if it was officially "occupied". Unless the Devs have a different definition of cede I'm not getting how this isn't broken.

you should always just assume that the game's definition of anything negative is "human occupies this player slot"

quote:

I browsed some steam threads about it and it does seem to be officially broken. Apparently the only way to avoid it is to take two cities from them then return one in the peace treaty so the game officially flags that you returned something and then he doesn't care at all about the other one. It's about flagging and you can game it which is idiotic.

lol. and people said civ 4 was gamey!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The White Dragon posted:

you should always just assume that the game's definition of anything negative is "human occupies this player slot"

Yeah, pretty much that. The only way not to be hated by everyone is to not conquer and dont try too hard to win. And even then, thanks to the agendas, they will complain

Best thing is not to care about it, I think.

I try to keep a friend or 2, if possible. And, above all, I keep an army to discourage them of trying anything and to push them back if they do. Them I let all the bastards hate me all they want

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah I don't really hate this because they almost always cede whatever cities you want if you beat them in a war, and historically I would not expect a country to just let a city go no problem.

But yes, practically it makes sense to give at least one city back if you don't want them to be pissy. Hell, in my current game I stole two cities from Egypt and then conquered one that went free city and handed it back and now we're BFF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

I'd skip the first one in your list and replace it with the battleship guy instead. It seems weird that there's such a focus on the Mausoleum considering a lot of players (like myself) don't even have the DLC that lets you use it. How do you balance a balance patch when not everyone has the same set of rules?

Reminds me of my latest game, a rather advanced Scotland, got a few quite modern wonders, including the Venetian Arsenal... except the country had no coastal cities, it had just put it on a tile a few spaces out from one of its weaker cities, but didn't have an actual harbour. I assume that one city could've still made ships but wow, just when you're thinking the AI has done a good move, you get that instead...

Didn’t even know about the battleship guy. I play multiplayer exclusively - games just don’t last that long. The fleet admiral is super good cause of the lack of naval unit variety. A caravel or frigate fleet is incredibly difficult to deal with. I think in general naval units need a second look and some intermediate units added ala coursers. Going from galleys and quads (Stone Age units) to caravels and frigates (renaissance units) is obviously one hell of a jump.