Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Somebody decided she wanted to be a still life :3:

Anyone else doing inktober this year? Anyone else accidentally delete the promopt list email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

lofi posted:

Somebody decided she wanted to be a still life :3:

Anyone else doing inktober this year? Anyone else accidentally delete the promopt list email?

Very nice, very nice.

Yeah, I think I should participate in inktober and then try and continue that streak. Last week I noticed I have fallen victim to perfectionism and that I find it hard to complete stuff as it looks so nice now and I might gently caress it up and I worked so hard on it. Starting something new is no option, I first need to finish that one piece. Instead I then watch youtube and troll forums. Figured that inktober should help me get a daily rhythm going. Never participated before, but subscribed on the site to the newsletter.

(also in october I will be running a half marathon, it will be an interesting month)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Its good to draw a thing or two.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Really digging those brushstrokes, Al!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Al! posted:

requesting a critique on this one because it feels like a high point in terms of lighting

You specifically requested critique, so here goes. The way you've spread the light around from the sources is really neat, but I think that the ambient lighting is wrong; there's too much of it - the cave's light enough that I don't think there'd be that much visible light from the electrics, and the light coming in from the entrance looks like it should be warm going by the colour of the sky, but it looks too cold.

I've got a question for people - with watercolours, what's the best way to add texture to my sea to make it look more watery?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thank you, thats really good critique and i was thinking that maybe i overdid it and color temperature is something ive recently started thinking about so thats really helpful

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Angrymog posted:

I've got a question for people - with watercolours, what's the best way to add texture to my sea to make it look more watery?

I don't have any water-specific advice, but some things you can try that will vary the texture effects you get on your paintings:
  • Put a layer of clear water over the paper first, then add pigments into the water with a brush and let them disperse
  • Mask off some areas of water with masking fluid, after the paint dries you can peel off the fluid and have hard-edged shapes with the paper color showing through (or whatever color was on the paper before you put a second layer on top of it)
  • Adding some salt to very wet areas of pigment creates some very unique textures
  • Use a very dry brush to get a scratchy effect

Been a long time since I posted any art of my own here, I'm making a bit of Rowdy 3 fan art so I have at least one new thing to show at our open studio this weekend - turns out working full-time with a small child at home is bad for personal art.

I'm sure there's some big glaring anatomy issues that I haven't noticed since I mainly work on this piece from about midnight to 2am, feel free to pick it apart and I'll see how much I can improve it between now and Thursday, when I have to print it.

This is a really awesome color scheme and layout, I like it a lot.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Everything below is based on my experience so far, I consider myself a beginner with watercolor, lofi is much better. But I did pick up a few things from Youtube and other sources that might be of help here.

General thing to remember: watercolours are great to create the illusion of detail so you do not want to paint object x, object y and background z but you want to layer rough shapes that together form a visual illusion of being the thing you want to express. A good example for this are trees. It is just a bunch of blobs but somehow, your brain really REALLY wants to see a tree. This leads to the conclusion that complex shapes and surfaces, if expressed with watercolour, need to be simplified a whole lot and let the brain of the viewer do the rest. Two examples of a tree and a cat where this happens.

Let's start with saying that painting water is hard, no matter the medium. I am not good at it either but I do notice a few things with your painting that could be improved upon. We'll get to the subject of painting water later (maybe in a later post after I figured it out myself).

There is a hard line between the three colours of the water and it seems you used a completely different paint at the top third. The middle seems to be a second layer of the base layer you put down. Looking at the strokes and how sharp these stand out, even in the same colour layers, you went with wet on dry (wet paint on dry paper) and I believe this is your first error for this subject. As the water is so far away, there are no hard edges on the surface but there can be transitions in colours from a darker blue to a lighter. Achieve this by slightly applying a light layer of water on the paper and then paint into that. Start with the lighter colour and add tiny quantities of the darker one and blend it with even strokes. Practise this technique a ton to get a feel for what works.

As mentioned by gmc9987, if you want to have hard shapes on a soft surface, you can use masking fluid but just waiting until all paint is completely dry and put it on top, should also work.
You can "cheat" and add highlights on the water using a white gel pen (uni ball signo white gel pen), white gauche or, again, mask it using masking fluid.

Everything considered, the more I use watercolours, the more I feel it really comes down to practise a ton using different techniques picked up from youtube or by accident and discover finding out what works for you. You would almost say it is like any medium out there!

ninja edit: Some people are just really good at things mortals like you and I struggle with. It could be practise or they could be assholes who sold their soul to the devil, not that I am suggesting anything.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 27, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's actually the same paint on all sections, but yeah, you're right about it being wet on dry. I'm using a little Windsor and Newton travel set for these.

What happened, was I did the initial sea, then wanted it darker at the back (the sea there has lots of different dark and light areas due to it being an estuary rather than open ocean), so tried to layer darker on top, but obviously didn't get the blending right, same with the middle area.

Will try wet on wet next time, and what you said about simplifying shapes.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lovely trees as trees are hard and I suck at trees. Just trying some stuff to get over this fear of screwing up the one I am halfway with.

This one was fine until I tried adding some sky.

This one never made it to fine but again went worse as I tried to add some quick background

Bonus thing I quit on halfway:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Angrymog posted:

You'll wanna keep detail out of the background, but your shoreline comes up too quick to really get into the area where detail happens. What kinda detail also depends a lot on the wind conditions and where the sun is and stuff. For a windy sea, I would have left some very small batches white here and there to simulate sea foam/streams happening and some mounds, if there's big waves. For calmer seas, I'd probably do these flattened diamond shapes in a darker blue - much like drawing a basic wave form, but thicker. Just drop small bunches of them in select spots. For the beach/shoreline, there would be a white wave shape along the beach containing bubbles of sea and/or sand colour.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

December.

Only the cover image left to do and I'll be able to send this baby off to a test print! :woop:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
The likenesses aren't as good as I want them to be but it's the best I can do by this weekend and still have it colored an printed. Got an open studio this weekend that my wife, our their studio mate, and I are participating in, and I have literally 0 new personal pieces one since the last open studio. Couple that with this weekend also being the 10-year anniversary of the studio being open so having a party there as well, plus my parents flying in for a visit, plus another friend flying in for a visit, and I just want this weekend to be done and over with already.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

And the last one is done!

Time to do the layouting and send it off for a test print.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Those look great, Shinmera! Hope the printers are kind to them. :ohdear:

Done today while I'm figuring out the kinks in streaming Real Art.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Frog musketeer!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I guess this is as done as I can get this tonight. Hopefully the printer is nice to it.

Edit: The printer was not nice to it.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 30, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

"haist ite" - loosely translates to "smel (it) urself", the closest that the Finnish language gets to "no u"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

Done today while I'm figuring out the kinks in streaming Real Art.
Care to share streaming links?

I drew my mums workshop / cottage from reference and kept sending her progress pics:

End result:

The actual photo (I suck at foliage)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keetron posted:

Care to share streaming links?

https://www.twitch.tv/lofi_art
I'm streaming every Monday at 7gmt, and other times randomly. :)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i finally did a self-portrait, in the style of fallen london

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
INKTOBER

Gonna be getting so many goatse drawings first day.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 1, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am super duper hyped for my first inktober, I even bought an alphabet ruler as I suck at lettering. And also consumerism.

On the note of consumerism, I also picked up a Daniel Smith dotcard and just buying that made me so happy.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
With great pains, I can do passable calligraphy IRL.

I am completely incapable of it on the computer.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

you're starting already? cheeky!

e:

No stream tonight because my brain is melting messily at the state of everyfuckingthing, so I drew a cool androgynous alien instead:

OC DO NOT STEAL

lofi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 2, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

you're starting already? cheeky!

No stream tonight because my brain is melting messily at the state of everyfuckingthing, so I drew a cool androgynous alien instead:

OC DO NOT STEAL

I honestly thought it's October. :doh: I've never been able to remember which order the last four months go in English, and having to count down from January every time and then messing up when I get past August has reinforced the wrong neural pathways so often and for so long that I'm basically hopeless in this regard. When I need to know a month, I'm completely depend on a system of counting out the months on my fingers as I say them in Finnish, then having my husband count out the months in English when I ask him what the "ninth month" is.

Also, you can't OC Tilda s/he's already their own OC. (I love it)

Al! posted:

i finally did a self-portrait, in the style of fallen london

Looking good! If you haven't made a painting of essentially yourself as an OC, are you even an artist?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hasan minhaj

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Al! posted:

hasan minhaj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvyyDU2gCaQ
This guy?

edit: foggy morning brain read the first line as the lion king opening song. Leaving it up as it is funny.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I honestly thought it's October. :doh:

That is actually pretty funny. Just remember that October comes from Octo, eight in Latin. You see, it is the tenth month coming after September, from septem in latin which means seven, which is the ninth month.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 3, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

and before November (non, nine) and December (dec, ten) just add two to the Latin prefix and it tells you which month it is! simple!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks you dotpict for being so handy when I'm away from home!

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 3, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ferrets are surprisingly difficult to get right. I'm gonna need to tweak so many faces here.

My first instinct to make something cuter is to make the eyes bigger, but in this case they immediately stopped looking like ferrets, so that was a no-go. I could go giant-buttoneyes and rely on the colouring to get the message across, but I think I'll instead see how far I could push the nose/snout-to-eyes ratio.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Bigger head/paws?

They're looking pretty cute already!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ferrets are surprisingly difficult to get right. I'm gonna need to tweak so many faces here.

My first instinct to make something cuter is to make the eyes bigger, but in this case they immediately stopped looking like ferrets, so that was a no-go. I could go giant-buttoneyes and rely on the colouring to get the message across, but I think I'll instead see how far I could push the nose/snout-to-eyes ratio.

Have you tried drawing a furret walk around the world? I feel like you'll understand furrets better after you draw that.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Those ferrets are adorable.

Sketch I did while on hurricane shelter duty (it's been a slow night).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

new avatar

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Al! posted:

new avatar

This one is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009