Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, I don't play as many board games as I'd like to but I'm hoping for a recommendation before I head over to my mom's house today. We mostly play dumb dice games like Farkle so I'm hoping to instead go to my local gaming store and find something that is:

1) horror themed 2) co-operative 3)rules light and fast 4) commonly found at stores that sell Warhammer 40k miniatures and RPG rulebooks.

This store has a whole wall of board games, so I know they stock several dozen titles, but it's a fantasy/sci fi gaming store so I don't think they're going to carry stuff like, Tigris & Euphrates (I listen to the three moves ahead podcast about board games and then never get to play them.)

Horrified is a light coop game that plays fast and I find the theme and flow entertaining. Each monster having g a different way to defeat them gives just enough variety for what is essentially a filler game. I think it’s alright .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This seems like a fun game to play with the kiddos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A lot of people praised that game for “exploring new territories and pushing boundaries of what a board game can be”, which whatever, that’s fine, but that specific game I think is problematic to the point of being offensive because the central conflict in the game is that the nurses (players) have to choose to use their time resource to either care for the patient or dig through his personal life and uncover story elements at the expense of patient care. :psyduck:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This seems like a fun game to play with the kiddos.

This seems like the kind of game that an artist makes one copy of, like the Trains game where you are organizing the holocaust (without knowing whats going on until the end). It does not seem like the kind of game that would be mass produced and sold on store shelves, but here we are.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

A lot of people praised that game for “exploring new territories and pushing boundaries of what a board game can be”, which whatever, that’s fine, but that specific game I think is problematic to the point of being offensive because the central conflict in the game is that the nurses (players) have to choose to use their time resource to either care for the patient or dig through his personal life and uncover story elements at the expense of patient care. :psyduck:

At the end does he describe Keyser Soze?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Maybe not quite on breif but Mysterium?

Seconding this, I’ve played mysterium with probably 25 different people total and every single one of them likes the game, which I can’t say of anything else. games great.

It definitely helps to have someone who’s played before to be the ghost though, and for a first time ghost to have someone in the group who’s done it before just to explain how it works simply. I could see a first game being rough if every player is new.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

the central conflict in the game is that the nurses (players) have to choose to use their time resource to either care for the patient or dig through his personal life and uncover story elements at the expense of patient care. :psyduck:

As a critical care nurse I feel qualified to say this isn't an entirely inaccurate simulation. There is only so much time in a day. We tell people to limit calls for updates because every time they call they are pulling us away from bedside. Trying to find histories is time consuming and doesn't help medical situation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s my point though, I assume nurses would not neglect patient care to dig through personal life details unrelated to medical issues. As far as I know with the game, they’re completely unrelated and it seems more like snooping through his life story than piecing things together to care for him better.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

The Eyes Have It posted:

Hey, any of you tried Black Angel? I find the gameplay concept intriguing but I'm worried it'll be really fiddly. What's it like to actually play?

It's definitely fiddly, but I absolutely love it. It's quickly become a top 10 game for me. Setup is probably the worst part, because there's a ton that needs to come out and be shuffled and organized on the board. The most fiddly part of the game is probably when a player chooses the command ship action. There's several steps that need to happen and it can be hard to remember each one in the heat of the game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Instead of uncovering personal life they could have had players slogging through the mass of paperwork and insurance requirements- but I that only makes sense in the USA

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Frozen Peach posted:

It's definitely fiddly, but I absolutely love it. It's quickly become a top 10 game for me. Setup is probably the worst part, because there's a ton that needs to come out and be shuffled and organized on the board. The most fiddly part of the game is probably when a player chooses the command ship action. There's several steps that need to happen and it can be hard to remember each one in the heat of the game.

Thanks for sharing, I haven't been able to hear much about it but it looks pretty cool.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Frozen Peach posted:

Hardly anyone has talked about in depth? Can you say what you like about it? If you can, would you be able to compare it to Troyes?

I want to like Troyes more than I actually do. When I play it I find it fun and compelling for it's relatively short (1.30 - 2 hr) playtime. I just can't find myself excited to bring it to the table when I have Gaia Project, Pax Pamir, Brass Birmingham, FCM & Great Zimbabwe all there ready to play. I actually feel the same way about Hansa Teutonica. I've been debating getting rid of both for a while now.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Get rid of Hansa now before the big box comes out. Alternatively, why would you get rid of the best game?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Megasabin posted:

Hardly anyone has talked about in depth? Can you say what you like about it? If you can, would you be able to compare it to Troyes?

I want to like Troyes more than I actually do. When I play it I find it fun and compelling for it's relatively short (1.30 - 2 hr) playtime. I just can't find myself excited to bring it to the table when I have Gaia Project, Pax Pamir, Brass Birmingham, FCM & Great Zimbabwe all there ready to play. I actually feel the same way about Hansa Teutonica. I've been debating getting rid of both for a while now.

It feels a lot like Troyes, but something it's hard to put my finger on makes it much more rewarding. I liked Troyes, but Black Angel clicks with me in a way that Troyes didn't.

Each turn you take feels important, and the decision making is really interesting. The game has a low VP count, so every time you score VP it feels like you've been setting yourself up for it for several turns. Every game I've played has been relatively close. It's quite punishing if you make a mistake too.

On your turn you decide to either pass, or you activate your board, draft a die, and take an action with that die. You're managing cards that can be used to activate your board or put out into space on missions. When you pass, the Black Angel travels further in space, leaving behind actions, robots, and ships. When robots and ships fall off the board, you lose them. When missions fall off, they have the possibility of giving you resources, points, or allowing you to get more points at the end of the game.

Passing is scary, because it refreshes the board with new dice, which are used to take actions, and allows the players at the table to prolong their turns by buying dice from you. In my first game, poor planning and resource management caused me to have to pass twice in a row, which while awful really taught me how important managing everything was in the game. There's just so many little decisions, and getting resources, robots, ships, and debris cubes is incredibly difficult unless you're planning just right. It's incredibly rewarding when things go right and you take a turn worth a monstrous 9 points, but getting yourself into that position and not having it stolen from you by another player is really hard.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played Teotihuacan and it was very mediocre. For the most part it's a serviceable rondel point salad game, but it does a couple of very annoying things. One of the worst is that there's a built in mechanic to effectively pass your turn (I'm referring to the "get cocoa" action). Cocoa is basically the most important currency in the game since without it, you basically can't do anything. The issue is that there's no "passive" way of getting cocoa, you just have to effectively pass to get it. It's a mechanic that annoys me in any other game that has it, which off the top of my head is Small World and Manhattan Projects (to go into decline and get your workers back, respectively). It's just dull and makes it feel like the wait between turns is longer than they are.

Another thing is that one of the (default) technologies is super, super overpowered (get an additional resource, which for the most part effectively doubles your resource generation)., so you're at a huge disadvantage if you don't get it, which I find to be kind of inherently poo poo design. Maybe we're overvaluing it, but it almost immediately replaces the opportunity cost of getting it, so why wouldn't you?

Lastly, the pyramid making minigame is pretty annoying and it's not at all worth the annoyance. Pyramid blocks have symbols on them and if they cover up the same symbol, you get a point each. Maybe if you're better at spatial awareness you can get this figured out faster, but it took a couple minutes per block to optimize points. It was just really unnecessary and I don't think anything would have changed if they just increased the point value per block by 2-3.

Not a bad game per se, but all the small things chipped away at what was already a mediocre base.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone played Mistfall and can tell me if it's any good?

There is a good deal near me for base game + expansion but I think I remember that I read some mixed reviews somewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

Has anyone played Mistfall and can tell me if it's any good?

There is a good deal near me for base game + expansion but I think I remember that I read some mixed reviews somewhere.

I've played it, and it's loving dogshit. Even Sentinels of the Multiverse is better at doing what it does.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

I've played it, and it's loving dogshit. Even Sentinels of the Multiverse is better at doing what it does.

So a pass then for me.

Thanks

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GrandpaPants posted:

I played Teotihuacan and it was very mediocre. For the most part it's a serviceable rondel point salad game, but it does a couple of very annoying things. One of the worst is that there's a built in mechanic to effectively pass your turn (I'm referring to the "get cocoa" action). Cocoa is basically the most important currency in the game since without it, you basically can't do anything. The issue is that there's no "passive" way of getting cocoa, you just have to effectively pass to get it. It's a mechanic that annoys me in any other game that has it, which off the top of my head is Small World and Manhattan Projects (to go into decline and get your workers back, respectively). It's just dull and makes it feel like the wait between turns is longer than they are.

Another thing is that one of the (default) technologies is super, super overpowered (get an additional resource, which for the most part effectively doubles your resource generation)., so you're at a huge disadvantage if you don't get it, which I find to be kind of inherently poo poo design. Maybe we're overvaluing it, but it almost immediately replaces the opportunity cost of getting it, so why wouldn't you?

Lastly, the pyramid making minigame is pretty annoying and it's not at all worth the annoyance. Pyramid blocks have symbols on them and if they cover up the same symbol, you get a point each. Maybe if you're better at spatial awareness you can get this figured out faster, but it took a couple minutes per block to optimize points. It was just really unnecessary and I don't think anything would have changed if they just increased the point value per block by 2-3.

Not a bad game per se, but all the small things chipped away at what was already a mediocre base.

Since everyone needs cocoa, it's not the same as 'passing' in any other game. Everyone has to do it at some point and the challenge is to do it efficiently. It's not at all like Small World because the effect of getting cocoa in Teotihuacan is not nearly as strong as the effect of decline in Small World.

I honestly have no clue what technology you're talking about. And note, there are no default technologies. There's a technology set up that's suggested for your first game(s) but they are not default.

Even I don't complain about a 2 minute turn.

I really enjoy the game, and so far the expansion has been great as well. Note that I've been lapped in two games and have never won a game despite playing over 10 times. Perhaps I should add whiskey to the drink offerings and decline to drink any myself.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I only had to gather cocoa twice because there are a few temple tiles that give a lot of cocoa, and there’s one lock space that gave me 6. Even so I agree it’s not a big deal, as you’re always planning the rondel multiple turns in advance so it’s usually part of an action chain. The tech that gives an additional resource when you gather is strong, but all the techs are and have a built in incentive to get them early.

The biggest possible issues I’ve seen so far are how strong those cocoa tiles are, especially the free feeding one, and the general fiddly upkeep. It was a better game than I expected.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yes it may be time for a house rule on the free cocoa tile, so it can’t be used to feed your workers. It’s pretty unbalanced.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well I have a game on the way but as usual I have no idea which one it is. The original order confirmation is long done, and now that I'm finally getting a shipment the shipping notification is "from" the company doing the fulfillment which provides no hint whatsoever to which game or from who it is.

I do a lot of shipping and receiving and this is kind of a uniquely board game "thing" :shrug:

E: like, I KNOW this is a board game precisely because this is the only kind of item/workflow this happens with.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 3, 2019

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well I have a game on the way but as usual I have no idea which one it is. The original order confirmation is long done, and now that I'm finally getting a shipment the shipping notification is "from" the company doing the fulfillment which provides no hint whatsoever to which game or from who it is.

I do a lot of shipping and receiving and this is kind of a uniquely board game "thing" :shrug:

It's a fun surprise! It's like ordering something on eBay that says it'll take about two months to arrive and you just plain forget about it until a magical present arrives at your doorstep. Or in my case, a missed delivery notice that is kind of annoying to actually take care of.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

FulsomFrank posted:

Or in my case, a missed delivery notice that is kind of annoying to actually take care of.

hey we turned up in the middle of a weekday without notice and wow what a surprise you weren't home, now drive 20 minutes to our depot on the other side of town loser

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I picked up Era: The Medieval Age at PAX West this weekend, and I’m rather impressed with the design. I just found the thread so I don’t know if it’s been discussed so I hope I’m not being redundant here.

It’s basically a dice-based resource management and city builder - you gain dice based on the buildings you have, dice are rolling for resources, the ability to build more buildings, the chance for disasters and so on. And you’re literally placing 3D buildings onto a pegboard, which is rather nifty looking. There’s even a phase where the different nobles try to intimidate each other and steal resources. 1-4 players. There are limited numbers of buildings, which when 3-5 different types run out, the game is over and final scores are tallied.

Layout is solid, the pieces are nice (I will say that my copy was missing one whole type, but I’ve already contacted the manufacturer and I presume they’ll be around shortly) but the pegboards can be difficult to read. Some folks online have resorted to coloring the recesses in but it’s not absolutely needed.

Solid game. MSRP $69 but I got it for $55 with tax.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Three games in a single evening!? 3 players, all.

Porta Nigra seems like a solid MWE, for all that is a weird category now. Very pretty, felt like we were accomplishing stuff, wasn't really like anything else I've played to be honest. I'm surprised it's so cheap and available, 4 years old but seems good?

Uptown I retaught to our guest and I still love it; takes 5 minutes to teach and half an hour to play, light abstract tile laying and it's just really solid. This version, not the horrid Blockers! version.

High Society somehow I'd never played before! It's good. The key is that we played the chinese version because we happen to have one picked up in hong kong a long time ago. Pretty language independent though.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I made a convertible gaming table so that my wife and I can leave games set up and not have to worry about pesky toddlers!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kerro posted:

I made a convertible gaming table so that my wife and I can leave games set up and not have to worry about pesky toddlers!

Ah, very nice! (Although I hope you don't need to worry about pesky/clumsy adults spilling things on the mat!)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
It's neoprene so pretty easy to wipe off, but I have built it so the mat can be removed and replaced in the worst case scenario. Thankfully the worst I've ever had in ten years of gaming was someone spilling gin on one of the Archipelago tiles and a puppy eating an action point marker from Earth Reborn :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kerro posted:

It's neoprene so pretty easy to wipe off, but I have built it so the mat can be removed and replaced in the worst case scenario. Thankfully the worst I've ever had in ten years of gaming was someone spilling gin on one of the Archipelago tiles and a puppy eating an action point marker from Earth Reborn :)

You really don't have good luck with Boelinger games, do you?

E: metal band Powerwolf are selling a boardgame through their website called Armata Strigoi, featuring minis of the band members as werewolves who hunt vampires. This is either going to be poo poo, incredible, or both.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 4, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kerro posted:

How hard/expensive was the DIY on this? I’ve been thinking about buying something like this, but if I can make one for cheaper...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

How hard/expensive was the DIY on this? I’ve been thinking about buying something like this, but if I can make one for cheaper...

Protip: Old pool tables convert into "gaming" tables very easily. Just go on craigs list and look for someone trying to get rid of one cheap (there is always someone).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gotta have a 72”x48” table to store wargames undisturbed until the next weekend.

Envious of anyone who can set up case blue with Guderian’s blitzkrieg in one spot. The entire eastern front :allears:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I made an 8'x4' table topper for something like $100, then used some extra wood and scavenged table legs to make it into its own table. Got a thread on bgg about it: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1891092/my-100-table-topper

It doesn't have the edge around it to cover it up though, as that requires a few more tools than I have. The topper just needed a staplegun to attach the fabric, then making it into a full on table required a powerdrill and a saw, though you might be able to get pieces cut to size at a bigbox store.

Though, I have a dedicated gaming area, so needing to convert between a normal table and a gaming table isn't needed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd rather have the recessed edge, but that's definitely some good info.

A pool table is way too big for the area I have to fit my table.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I wanted a recessed edge, but I didn't have the tools to do it, so I just made it simple.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Some Numbers posted:

I took a craigslist table. Removed the top. installed a recessed bottom on the edge of the apron and glued down some felt. $10 table, $20 in materials. It's smaller than many game tables, but I often find people get massive things they almost never use full. It was great to have for Pandemic Legacy. We just left the game set up and placed the top back on.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pool tables are shite. They are a bitch to move, and saddling up to them (depending on design) is shite.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

djfooboo posted:

Pool tables are shite. They are a bitch to move, and saddling up to them (depending on design) is shite.

That's why my table uses those central pillar-y kind of legs instead of legs around the outside. Can sit anywhere without worry of intersecting a table leg.

Pool tables are too heavy for that kind of thing though, one would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ravendas posted:

I made an 8'x4' table topper for something like $100, then used some extra wood and scavenged table legs to make it into its own table. Got a thread on bgg about it: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1891092/my-100-table-topper

It doesn't have the edge around it to cover it up though, as that requires a few more tools than I have. The topper just needed a staplegun to attach the fabric, then making it into a full on table required a powerdrill and a saw, though you might be able to get pieces cut to size at a bigbox store.

Though, I have a dedicated gaming area, so needing to convert between a normal table and a gaming table isn't needed.

in addition to the cool tables posted on the page, i wanted to say that your chairs look v comfy