Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nier isn't trying to make you feel bad, it's just telling a story about a character.

i dunno i'm pretty sure it wants you to feel pretty bad about your actions by how much it twists the knife when you can read what things are saying in the later playthroughs

that's just how I took it though

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

i like that twist in nier because the repeating gameplay means youre just trying to kill everything as fast as possible and not listening to dialogue, turning the player into the same single focus monster the character has become

theyre nudging you to change your behaviors, rather than just saying pick one:
>DO GOOD THING?
>DO BAD THING?

but changing your behaviors means just stopping the game

that's why I found it to be sort of manipulative, like, I guess you could say "well you could have just quit the game" but I'm saying at least undertale gives you an option to change your ways and still advance

if you don't want to kill beepy you are just done playing nier

that's an interesting take though about like being the rushing through not listening to anyone the second time thing I never thought of it that way

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

In Training posted:

Unfair to compare anything to Undertale mate.

My turds compare

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Stefan Prodan posted:

but changing your behaviors means just stopping the game

that's why I found it to be sort of manipulative, like, I guess you could say "well you could have just quit the game" but I'm saying at least undertale gives you an option to change your ways and still advance

if you don't want to kill beepy you are just done playing nier

that's an interesting take though about like being the rushing through not listening to anyone the second time thing I never thought of it that way

he fucks up the world, thats just how it is. its not judging you for playing

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

i think that's certainly a valid interpretation but that's just not how I took it personally as far as whether the game wanted me to feel bad personally

that could be totally on me tho I think it's fine for something to give people different reactions

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 4, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

elf help book posted:

I don't feel like you're being "judged" necessarily but there are definitely things in the game meant to equate Neir to "the player". Like the big true ending twist mechanic kind of beats you over the head with how his memories are also your memories. But I haven't played the game in a loooong time so maybe I'd read it differently now

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
so astral chain should I get this poo poo or what

a lot of people seem to like it then other people say the setting is bland and you just mash buttons

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

so astral chain should I get this poo poo or what

a lot of people seem to like it then other people say the setting is bland and you just mash buttons

i def regret buying it but im probably minority opinion. buy it if you like doing side quests i guess

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HolePisser1982 posted:

i def regret buying it but im probably minority opinion. buy it if you like doing side quests i guess

hmmm

well sometimes I agree with the minority though a lot of people seemed to like xenoblade 2 and I played like an hour or two and was like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

after playing yakuza 0 this statement is now extremely loaded

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this month is extremely good for switch gamers and ive heard nothing but bad things about assturd pain

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

hmmm

well sometimes I agree with the minority though a lot of people seemed to like xenoblade 2 and I played like an hour or two and was like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this game

the game is basically platinum meets xenoblade. at the very least buy it physical so you can resell it just in case

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

trying to jack off posted:

after playing yakuza 0 this statement is now extremely loaded

i feel like yakuza is like in an incredibly tiny group with the witcher and ....???? where the side quests are equally good or better as the main stuff, with equal level of effort put into their development

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

the game is basically platinum meets xenoblade

Oh poo poo....

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Oh poo poo....

lmfao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Oh poo poo....

get in dude, a world of win awaits you

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Oh poo poo....
Norm looking up from the newspaper .gif

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

im 16 hours in and the game is still reusing the basic enemies from the start of the game in nearly every fight. haha but maybe im the crazy one and that doesnt suck huge amounts of nads, who knows

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

HolePisser1982 posted:

im 16 hours in and the game is still reusing the basic enemies from the start of the game in nearly every fight. haha but maybe im the crazy one and that doesnt suck huge amounts of nads, who knows

Might I suggest switching the femc out of the default outfit and into something a little more... exciting?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

side quests in ASTRAL CHAIN aren't big productions like a yakuza game, I'd compare them to walking around a jrpg town talking to people except sometimes an event will happen.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Astral Chain is so boring. First Platinum game I dont love.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

if you're on the fence I think a good comparison is to Okami. It feels great, it's really original, and the presentation is really cool but there's tons of stuff that sticks out as not really working. It's really my poo poo tho I love it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

fadam posted:

Astral Chain is so boring. First Platinum game I dont love.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1169082507582562304

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ReWinter posted:

If they're talking about the original Nier then it definitely wants you to feel bad for wasting your life on video games at least in parts

weird message but what can you do

Play more videogames

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

yeah it's a platinum game

I dunno, there's a lot of weird stuff in it, it's not as tightly designed and definitely not as good as like Bayo 2, but it's a good time imo. I don't really care for the aesthetic but I definitely seem to be in the minority there, I find it visually unclear and struggle with the feedback in most fights.

The combat is better than N:A and the side questing and activities are fun, and all the creative uses for your legions in and out of combat stay compelling and imaginative

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 4, 2019

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

you can ignore all the blue ones since they arent graded and dont really give you any good rewards. the part i really hate is the stealth sections. which are graded. the combat is probabaly better than bayonetta

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
to expand .. you can play it like MGR if you want. or you can do it story style with all the padding out and cutscene crap. but the story is poo poo

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

FE Warriors is over half off on Amazon right now. don't know anything about this one compared to hyrule warriors, how does it stack up?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

FE Warriors is over half off on Amazon right now. don't know anything about this one compared to hyrule warriors, how does it stack up?
it's better in some ways but all the characters are incredibly samey so it gets boring fast

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

No Ike, don't buy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

its better. but its still dynasty warriors

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im working some long hours today and will miss the direct...hope we see smt5 lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

extremebuff posted:

im working some long hours today and will miss the direct...hope we see smt5 lol
wagecuck rear end

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Some guy's wife retweeted a tweet and now everyone is saying that there's a new Monolith game coming. X3 hype!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Overwatch confirmed coming out next month. Hype!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

goferchan posted:

Overwatch confirmed coming out next month. Hype!!!

https://twitter.com/PKdeGallo/status/1169254352479031297

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

American McGay posted:

Some guy's wife retweeted a tweet and now everyone is saying that there's a new Monolith game coming. X3 hype!

i thought they already had a game kinda announced that wasnt xeno

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i thought they already had a game kinda announced that wasnt xeno

that was botw2, i dont think theyve said anything about what the xbc people have been making, but i assume its something like a new Xeno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xenosaga IV? Xenogears VI???