Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I apologize for comment, I did not mean it in that way but I see how it came like that. :(

I don't think you meant anything malicious. I reserve my expressions of horror for the people committing these crimes against humanity.

Tax in honor of my 3 year old's favorite stuffed animal:

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Range supervision is a "Please lock the gate when you leave" sign.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

This doesn’t surprise me, there’s an inherent parasocial aspect to this.

If we closed Something Awful tomorrow, there would be offshoots and some people might gather and stick together, but most people probably wouldn’t because it’s hard to just replicate a community like that. There’s both a lack of legitimacy and the reality that not everyone likes everyone else enough to want to do that.

there have been dozens on dozens of forums offshoots over the years and all of them die, sooner or later. the most successful ones are the ones which have some independent reason to exist, like file piracy. the least successful ones are when some posting clique gets ejected from the forums, tries to set up their own little forum, and it rapidly dies from infighting and lack of interest

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ripoff posted:

As for the homemade bomb thing yeah, this is true. We’d suddenly see incels and former 8-channers getting a sudden interest in fertilizer and aluminum oxide. Thankfully though, bomb-making is hard and would be less successful, as evidenced by the Columbine shooters.

We also have incredibly strict laws around purchasing bomb-making precursors, and wow, instances of bomb violence has dropped dramatically.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Also lol at anyone who thinks there would actually be mass violent resistance to a strong gun control law. The vast majority of the MORON LABEL crowd is upper middle class middle aged White dudes.

They'd complain a lot and vote chud harder, and a bunch would probably just ignore the laws, but nobody is taking to the streets.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

luxury handset posted:

there have been dozens on dozens of forums offshoots over the years and all of them die, sooner or later. the most successful ones are the ones which have some independent reason to exist, like file piracy. the least successful ones are when some posting clique gets ejected from the forums, tries to set up their own little forum, and it rapidly dies from infighting and lack of interest

Ya, I’ve been in this situation in the past and it is never sustainable long time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't even like the just take away assault weapons poo poo. take it all away.

if people want to shoot guns they can go do it at the range where it's supervised but gently caress anyone personally owning one.

i've said it before but if they didn't want to give up an inch we should take a mile. this is on them for not even compromising on things that are universally popular.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

luxury handset posted:

same

i mean this without any malice at all, but a take like "folks don't consider the impact that separating a young child from their parents has on the child's emotional health" is a take that can only come from someone who doesn't have kids. for parents it is screamingly obvious

Friend of mine had to explain it to her brainwormsed parents in terms of "how would you feel if your grandchildren were locked up" because somehow that hadn't occurred to them. Nobody on FNC/Brightbart/whatever said it.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Paradoxish posted:

She's not super wrong, though.

Like, this isn't an argument in favor of not taking away peoples' guns, but it's super likely that you're going to get some people freaking out over even fairly minor attempts at gun control. It wouldn't surprise me if there are a whole lot more people carrying handguns into Walmart right now just because Walmart specifically asked them not to do it.

Edit- This clip is great because she literally yells "I'm not living without guns!" like a loving child who's having their toys taken away.

I’m always a little taken aback by how much pro-gun people are willing to admit that they would murder government officials rather than follow a law to give up these assault rifles, and how that’s just accepted as a not-crazy thing to say. Especially given their reactions when black people so much as sneeze around a police officer. It really paints a picture.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Democrazy posted:

I’m always a little taken aback by how much pro-gun people are willing to admit that they would murder government officials rather than follow a law to give up these assault rifles, and how that’s just accepted as a not-crazy thing to say. Especially given their reactions when black people so much as sneeze around a police officer. It really paints a picture.

They only consider the government legitimate if it does what they want

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

IIRC only governors can request disaster declarations from the Federal Government because it requires the consent of the state for federal involvement. So this adds another layer of stupid on this stupid poo poo sundae.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Democrazy posted:

Schrodinger’s Government Legitimacy, the government is legitimate when it supports their desires and it is not when it doesn’t.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/1169043264881778688

ACLU is doin work. I would wager this new transfer breaks some law or ordinance regarding funding because this administration is that stupid. Plus, any slowdown of the racist monument is a good thing imo and will generate a lot of steaming toilet takes from Donny

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/IanBegley_/status/1168945328873181184

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

luxury handset posted:

same

i mean this without any malice at all, but a take like "folks don't consider the impact that separating a young child from their parents has on the child's emotional health" is a take that can only come from someone who doesn't have kids. for parents it is screamingly obvious

It's just a dumb take. I don't have kids or ever want kids but that is a blindingly obvious major issue. Like I guess it's better to do a study than not do a study but "taking a small child away from their parents and locking them in a cage apparently has negative consequences to their mental health" isn't really groundbreaking.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Democrazy posted:

Millions of dead cops, guillotines, etc.

People talk a good game in online echo chambers. Occasionally one crazy actually does it and gets iced by the pigs.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

the least successful ones are when some posting clique gets ejected from the forums, tries to set up their own little forum, and it rapidly dies from infighting and lack of interest

What was the one called with “Style Points” or whatever where they offered rewards for good posts? “Posting with Style” or something? That was a loving riot.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

fool_of_sound posted:

Solving spree killings shouldn't be the primary goal of gun legislation in any case.

Why not? What should it be?

Democrazy posted:

I think a major gun buy-back program is really the best idea. It's voluntary, realistic, has worked in the past, and a lot of the people who hoard guns can use an extra several hundred bucks. Let's see if they'd rather keep all 45 guns or make their mortgage.

Then use the money to help fund mental health programs which is another big part of this problem.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

What else is he going to do with them after kidnapping them via balloon?

*ahem* it's called a Fulton Device

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

1glitch0 posted:

Why not? What should it be?

Because spree killings and mass shootings are actually a tiny percentage of overall gun violence. Most gun violence is occurring in the context of low level street crime or domestic abuse and is done using a handgun.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

Because spree killings and mass shootings are actually a tiny percentage of overall gun violence. Most gun violence is occurring in the context of low level street crime or domestic abuse and is done using a handgun.

Fair enough.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest thing to keep in mind regarding gun legislation—even if every semi-automatic rifle was hoovered up into a black hole in the sky, it would barely cause a dent in overall gun violence.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

1glitch0 posted:

Fair enough.

Mass casualty events get the big headlines, but the constant background death toll is done one at a time by handguns. Those would be my personal A+ #1 priority for a ban/confiscation.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Which brings us to the soul crushing realization that white people only care about mass shootings because it is something that may affect their white suburban children or family at gatherings, and they have no regard at all for violence that disproportionately affects women and POC at staggeringly higher rates because “I need a handgun to protect myself!!!”

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

1glitch0 posted:

I think a major gun buy-back program is really the best idea. It's voluntary, realistic, has worked in the past, and a lot of the people who hoard guns can use an extra several hundred bucks. Let's see if they'd rather keep all 45 guns or make their mortgage.

If they gave realistic values to them, absolutely. But I wouldn't turn in a rifle that cost me $600 for a $50 home depot gift card.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

unfortunately scalia and co. have made it impossible to ban handguns because the right has spent decades spreading a lie about what the second amendment means.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/RepTimRyan/status/1168994851133755395?s=19

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gently caress lol I laughed at a Tim Ryan tweet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AFewBricksShy posted:

If they gave realistic values to them, absolutely. But I wouldn't turn in a rifle that cost me $600 for a $50 home depot gift card.

It would have to be an appealing amount to be meaningfully different from a straight confiscation program. If you're going to force people to sell guns at a loss you may as well make it a total loss and save the government some money.

Groovelord Neato posted:

unfortunately scalia and co. have made it impossible to ban handguns because the right has spent decades spreading a lie about what the second amendment means.

I think in these hypotheticals the Court has already been brought to heel somehow and won't interfere.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

5.56 is also generally much safer for use indoors due to its tendency to fragment and tumble rather than plow through walls like buck or slugs.

This is a myth.

5.56 will over penetrate multiple walls depending on construction and just because it may start to tumble doesn't mean it won't keep going though a wall.

Plus there's the fact that the vast majority of platforms that chamber a 5.56 are carbines or rifles, which aren't great for moving around indoors and getting sights on target. Then there's dealing with recoil. All in cases where the maximum distance between you and your target is very likely to be a lot less than 20 feet, lights off, and you're sleepy.

Ultimately, there is risk to choosing any firearm as a method of home defense.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Mass casualty events get the big headlines, but the constant background death toll is done one at a time by handguns. Those would be my personal A+ #1 priority for a ban/confiscation.

My only argument, and I'm not saying something shouldn't be done about the general gun violence, is the mass shootings have had a severe impact on our culture. Which isn't saying that gang violence or domestic shootings shouldn't be curbed, but we wouldn't be having announcements in theaters about where to run if/when a shooting breaks out (or like when I went to see Michael Moore's latest movie and there was an announcement at the box office that towards the end of the film the screen would go black and alarms would sound but STAY CALM it's part of the movie, you aren't under attack!) or having elementary kids have to go through active shooting training. It rises the collective temperature of society in which small scale disputes don't.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

This is a myth.

5.56 will over penetrate multiple walls depending on construction and just because it may start to tumble doesn't mean it won't keep going though a wall.
Everything will penetrate multiple walls.

5.56 is generally going to penetrate fewer than a slug.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
.223 has not a lot of recoil, your main thing about indoors usage for self defense with basically any gun is both blowing your eardrums out as well as having a light on the gun to make sure you’re not killing your kid sneaking in.

Doctor Butts posted:

This is a myth.

Plus there's the fact that the vast majority of platforms that chamber a 5.56 are carbines or rifles, which aren't great for moving around indoors and getting sights on target. Then there's dealing with recoil. All in cases where the maximum distance between you and your target is very likely to be a lot less than 20 feet, lights off, and you're sleepy.

Ultimately, there is risk to choosing any firearm as a method of home defense.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

1glitch0 posted:

My only argument, and I'm not saying something shouldn't be done about the general gun violence, is the mass shootings have had a severe impact on our culture.

are you trying to fix the culture of fear, or are you trying to fix the violence underscoring that culture of fear? seems like you're treating the symptoms here

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

luxury handset posted:

are you trying to fix the culture of fear, or are you trying to fix the violence underscoring that culture of fear? seems like you're treating the symptoms here
This.

Mass shootings deserve about as much legislative attention as commercial airline crashes.

Big and flashy, but utterly unlikely.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

AFewBricksShy posted:

No, but say 300 bucks in cold hard cash for a rifle you paid 600 bucks for that has just sat in your closet for 5 years next to your other 10 rifles. And then you sell it back and the caravan hoards don't suddenly invade your house maybe you sell another one. It seems the best and most realistic option as opposed to having the national guard or local police knocking on doors demanding you hand over your guns. But yeah, I mean just give em market price for them if that would work. It'd still be a small price to pay.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Objurium posted:

I think a lot of you really don't quite grasp how much the COME AND TAKE IT MOLON LABE DONT TREAD ON ME BROTHERRRRRRR poo poo is entrenched in the gun community. It's not just "the crazies", it is the culture.

As much as I loath the screeching progeny of John McCain, she is correct in that any kind of confiscation operation would likely spark some kind of conflict within the US.

To be clear, I have no idea what the solution is, and there are nearly 400 million guns owned by civilians within the US - but the Dems routinely don't have the loving spine to fight back against the GOP on matters that are far less likely to spark a goddamn second civil war, so 🤷‍♂️
Last time I tried to have a conversation with a coworkers husband, I was shooting poo poo about a great compromise between dems and gop (this was before trump). I got to guns and the dude just loving lost it with "MUH GUNS, I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU TRY N GET MUH GUNS." And he's a normal city dwelling small business blahblabah guy. It's very much the culture. Which is hilarious because 3/4 of them would lick the boot of a cop given the chance.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This.

Mass shootings deserve about as much legislative attention as commercial airline crashes.

Big and flashy, but utterly unlikely.

Commerical airline crashes were a lot more common until they were legislated out of existence

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

No, but say 300 bucks in cold hard cash for a rifle you paid 600 bucks for that has just sat in your closet for 5 years next to your other 10 rifles. And then you sell it back and the caravan hoards don't suddenly invade your house maybe you sell another one. It seems the best and most realistic option as opposed to having the national guard or local police knocking on doors demanding you hand over your guns. But yeah, I mean just give em market price for them if that would work. It'd still be a small price to pay.

You will have Ruby ridges all across the country if you actually tried to bust down doors and confiscating guns. Nevermind the fact that theres so many guns thats it would be near impossible just from a logistical standpoint.

A buyback for assault weapons would be the best option. But it would be really expensive.

Realistically in the near future the best you can hope for is a new assault weapons ban coupled with a voluntary buyback, with the remaining guns grandfathered in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Range supervision is a "Please lock the gate when you leave" sign.

You could write liability into the law.

Would have a double benefit of making their insurance really expensive too