Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Short for cinema only they* spell the k sound with a k instead of a c.

*) The Germans

Which is correct enough based on the original pronunciation.

Latin! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Collapsing Farts posted:

You're not depressed just because you don't isntantly consume videogames anymore

The reason is usually "you got older"
On the other hand a very common symptom of depression is losing interest in things you once liked so that's probably a pretty common sentiment among depressed people who like(d) videogames. But also

oldpainless posted:

Which is depressing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

barbecue at the folks posted:

Video games are no longer nearly as fun as they used to be, also, I have some disposable income but I don't use it on infinite candy like 10 year old me was sure I would be doing at my age. Solution is to drink too much and only play From Software games, when you're hateful and angry you're at least feeling something!

For me at least it's not that they're less fun, it's that getting a game no longer has the quality of being an event in my life. I vividly remember the day I got to play FF3/6 for the first time over two decades ago, or Chrono Trigger, or even Gex 2: Enter the Gecko, which is a mediocre game at best but I was exactly the right age and audience for it apparently because it clicked with me. Most games pass in and out of my head like barely a sensation at this point, where the games I played as a kid have strong emotional attachments. As an adult I can get pretty much any game I want, so I get a bunch I never get around to playing since I bought them on sale. Kid me would think that's not a bad problem to have, but it has made gaming a lot less fulfilling as I've gotten older

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Heath posted:

For me at least it's not that they're less fun, it's that getting a game no longer has the quality of being an event in my life. I vividly remember the day I got to play FF3/6 for the first time over two decades ago, or Chrono Trigger, or even Gex 2: Enter the Gecko, which is a mediocre game at best but I was exactly the right age and audience for it apparently because it clicked with me. Most games pass in and out of my head like barely a sensation at this point, where the games I played as a kid have strong emotional attachments. As an adult I can get pretty much any game I want, so I get a bunch I never get around to playing since I bought them on sale. Kid me would think that's not a bad problem to have, but it has made gaming a lot less fulfilling as I've gotten older

Games are also different these days and as we've grown up, so are we. It's okay to let different sorts of things appeal to you when you are older. I want some chickens and a little sailboat, even if getting either would seriously cut into my free video games time.

Anyways most games are either masturbatory timewasters or badly written violent dramas for teenagers to get excited about. This of course does not hold for the Souls games and the Yakuza series which are good quality entertainment for discerning gentlemen like me, unlike other video games which I don't like and so must be utter pap for unrefined commoners.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

You had me for a second there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FFT posted:

Latin! :eng101:

Latin didn't even have a K. It's Greek.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Latin didn't even have a K. It's Greek.

Exactly. Latin didn't have the "soft C" we do today. So since we can't just remove a useless letter, apparently, better to use one that removes all doubt! :hist101:

lol scratch all that, cinema with a K is objectively correct via Greek to begin with

quote:

Latinized form of Greek kinemat-, combining form of kinema "movement," from kinein "to move"

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Sep 4, 2019

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Rollin' around at the speed of clown.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

quote:

Kinema is an indigenous fermented soybean food prepared mostly by the Kirati people of the Eastern Himalayan regions, what is now Eastern Nepal and Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Sikkim regions of India.

ok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Holds as true today as it did 20 years ago; if you can't decide what to play, you play Tetris.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Elysiume posted:

On the other hand a very common symptom of depression is losing interest in things you once liked so that's probably a pretty common sentiment among depressed people who like(d) videogames. But also

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Holds as true today as it did 20 years ago; if you can't decide what to play, you play Tetris.
Tetris, Doom, or the first few levels of Sonic 2.

E: https://m.imgur.com/a/0jRVG

90s Cringe Rock has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Sep 4, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When I’m depressed about video games I start up a new round of Resident Evil 4, or maybe buy it again on a new platform I haven’t played it on yet. Skyrim too.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or Minesweeper

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Elysiume posted:

You might just have found new hobbies though, ask yourself, is there anything else you do with your time instead of gaming? I used to game a lot, now I spend time in my workshop instead. My interests changed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RedSnapper posted:

Or Minesweeper

Windows 10 not having minesweeper any more is criminal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

You might just have found new hobbies though, ask yourself, is there anything else you do with your time instead of gaming? I used to game a lot, now I spend time in my workshop instead. My interests changed.

To each his own, but if someone feels like they don't get the same kicks from playing vidya games as they did 25 years ago and think they're depressed because of it, it does look a bit silly to an outsider. There's a whole world to explore outside the PSN store, which is why I am posting bad prose about video games in the SA meme thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really hope they break free of the Epic store. No steam no life

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Me binging a new Netflix show every weekend: "I have no time for video games."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1169214851429937158?s=21

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/kitty4prz/status/1168323986423336961

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:chanpop:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:eyepop: gently caress this one's good

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I thought I've seen similar memes of somebody holding a severed hand and doing stuff with it. What is this from?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I thought I've seen similar memes of somebody holding a severed hand and doing stuff with it. What is this from?

It's a JoJo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, he's a serial killer antagonist who carries around the hand of his latest victim. And St Gentlemen is the fast food joint in the town they live in

e:

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Sep 4, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Where does one start with this JoJo business? Seems like there's a lot of them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Memento posted:

Depends. Personally I say just start from the beginning on Hulu or Netflix and go from there. I've been describing it to my friends as:

S1/Part 1: Bram Stoker's Dracula, but anime
S1/Part 2: Indiana Jones/a 1930s adventure serial, but anime
S2/Part 3: Around the World in 80 Days, but anime
S3/Part 4: One of those more grounded Stephen King novels where a serial killer is lurking in a sleepy town... but anime

e: also, this isn't a meme but for anyone who's interested, the other day I read a good article on JJBA and queer masculinities

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Sep 4, 2019

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For me, that usually means it's time for a Super Mario Bros. 3 run. Though lately I've been spending way more time tinkering with a retrogaming HTPC vs actually playing any of the games I'm setting up on it. Working on a project does a lot more to keep the darkness at bay than playing games does.

Memento posted:

Windows 10 not having minesweeper any more is criminal.

There's a new version as a freebie on the Microsoft store. I haven't played it, but it claims to have a classic mode.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1169263850866130948?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Memento posted:

Ah, RIP.

zoux has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Sep 4, 2019

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Memento posted:

Don't, it's almost entirely trash. It reached meme status suddenly after being out a while but rest assured it is trash

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Collapsing Farts posted:

Don't, it's almost entirely trash. It reached meme status suddenly after being out a while but rest assured it is trash

Mods?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

I would like to nominate Yakitate Japan to be the next anime to reach meme status

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I would like to nominate Yakitate Japan to be the next anime to reach meme status

i was blown away by HU-PAN. The ending in the manga sure was something lol.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

wtf is wrong with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Anime is blood.