Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Lone Badger posted:

Also prosecutors have authority over police officers and can have them demoted or fired if they don't come up with the 'correct' evidence.

I think this one is commentary on actual Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

It's like, accidental Highlander rules for most of the series. There's one good defense attorney in Japanifornia at any one time, it's just that who it is changes. It takes until the fifth game for there two be two active, good defense attorneys simultaneously for any significant length of time.

And I don't think they have the death penalty, either, it's just that you never see the people charged as guilty again so it's easy to presume death. Lana from the AA1 bonus case is imprisoned for conspiracy but lives, Pearl's mother is convicted in the second but lives to try and fail to orchestrate Maya's murder in the third. Dahlia in AA3 is executed, but that's well before the events of the rest of the series to the point where the fact she was executed is a surprise and a plot point. I believe it was said the death penalty was outlawed between her conviction and AA3's 'present' but she was still on death row, but I might be mistaken.

No, they do have the death penalty in-game. The exceptions you mentioned are because it's not like they're wheeling the defendant out for execution the moment the gavel falls, it takes time to organize and a date has to be set.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I think this one is commentary on actual Japan.
a fair amount of it is, I believe

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, they do have the death penalty in-game. The exceptions you mentioned are because it's not like they're wheeling the defendant out for execution the moment the gavel falls, it takes time to organize and a date has to be set.

Yeah, I was mistaken in thinking they outlawed the death penalty, but I know for a fact that not everyone gets it. AA2 confirms it: you get Matt Engarde to plead guilty because he pissed off De Killer and needs the protection of life in prison to escape a revenge kill. This doesn't make sense unless Matt definitely isn't getting the death penalty.

The only one that we know for certain did get executed in the first three games (I can't speak for the rest) is Dahlia, who's also the only one found guilty of multiple murders.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like it was implied somewhere that the 3-5 villain gets the death penalty but I could be making it up

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PancakeTransmission posted:

It also had awesome cardboard buildings.

Len posted:

Games with 3d gimmick boards are the best.

THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER

I can't find a good picture of it, but there was this neat gimmick that involved heisting the diamond, which would tumble very satisfyingly out of the front door of the museum when you won.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I feel like it was implied somewhere that the 3-5 villain gets the death penalty but I could be making it up

It's been a good while since I played the early Ace Attorneys, but wasn't Pearl's mother on death row while she was plotting from in prison?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Not quite, he does die but it's because his body is still all janked up and he was on borrowed time from the start.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
And then of course there's Dahlia, who at that point been dead for rather some time. 3-5 has a lot of people you can consider 'the villain'.

2-4 might be my favorite case from the series to see in action, but 3-5 just has so much crazy stuff to bring up. It's also, as an unrelated detail to this discussion, got one of my favorite bits of localization to look at to understand how sometimes, localization is just really hard: In English, Pearl's mother gives Pearl orders to do a few things to defile a temple and leave Maya to die, without actually saying she's angling for death because Pearl is an innocent child. But specifically, one of the orders is to 'gravely roast' the art of Misty Fey, and Pearl isn't just innocent, she's also about as smart as you'd expect a child to be. So after getting help from a grown-up to read these words she doesn't know, she misunderstands it as 'gravy roast' and instead of burning the art, just slathers it in the gravy they had with dinner.

In the original Japanese the misunderstanding is largely similar, but instead ends in Pearl covering the scroll with curry. Which is a neat bit of trivia, but then you have to realize that the translators had to come up with a whole new order for Pearl to be given, which is then not easily readable by a small child to the point where she needs help to read it, and can then be misunderstood by said child when hearing it to refer to a food that could be at a dinner, that at least looks kinda like curry because they couldn't redraw any art assets for this. And of course all of this needs to check out logically, because the entire game is about figuring out the facts of a case.

You take just one step back from Ace Attorney and take in the kind of work needed to localize it, and you start realizing that team deserves some loving applause for what they do.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Sep 3, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish they'd just retcon the whole setting as being in Japan so we don't end up with another eye-rolling "town built by Japanese immigrants complete with yokai".

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I was mistaken in thinking they outlawed the death penalty, but I know for a fact that not everyone gets it. AA2 confirms it: you get Matt Engarde to plead guilty because he pissed off De Killer and needs the protection of life in prison to escape a revenge kill. This doesn't make sense unless Matt definitely isn't getting the death penalty.

The only one that we know for certain did get executed in the first three games (I can't speak for the rest) is Dahlia, who's also the only one found guilty of multiple murders.

I'm pretty positive Manfred von Karma got the death penalty since he's dead by the start of AA2.

Qwertycoatl posted:

And it's not enough to prove the defendant couldn't possibly have committed the crime, they're still going to prison unless the defence attorney can find the real culprit and prove that they did it.

On a related note, the defense has the power to formally indict witnesses in the middle of a trial even for separate, unrelated crimes that took place, say, 15 years ago.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish they'd just retcon the whole setting as being in Japan so we don't end up with another eye-rolling "town built by Japanese immigrants complete with yokai".

This would probably be a worse angle at this point. The strength of the Japanifornia setting is that they can both keep the art assets largely the same, but also include American neologisms, cultural touchstones and legal phrases without breaking the actual setting.

Case 2-5 has my favorite example of this, because it's fairly small but shows why the American part of all of it actually has its place, when someone pleads the fifth and you have to work around that. I presume because they wrote this in that a similar legal precedent actually does exist in Japan, but I'm pretty sure most of us have no idea what it's called, and the script doesn't give enough room to explain it because they can't add in extra text boxes, and Japan didn't need it explained to them. If they hadn't relocated the game to America, this scene actually would've been way harder because of it, but since they can just say 'I plead the fifth' then we're not playing catch-up because of a different country's legal minutia.

In most cases I'd agree not to do this heavy a localization effort--the Shin Megami Tensei games are better for having stopped trying to back in the nineties, and Yakuza's quintessentially Japanese so a light touch does them a lot better. But Ace Attorney's an interesting challenge in comparison, because the absolute most important part of the whole game is making the script as tight and understandable as possible. I think the world being a weird mishmash of Japan and America is an acceptable sacrifice, especially since it's not exactly meant to be a realistic, sane setting in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Petit Gregory posted:

On a related note, the defense has the power to formally indict witnesses in the middle of a trial even for separate, unrelated crimes that took place, say, 15 years ago.

Iirc, what's generally inferred here is they're nailed for the current crime and the historical one will come to court at a later date for a VERY speedy proceeding based on what was presented at the first trial.

I will still swear blind the developers set aside a case in each of the newest games just to actively gently caress with the localization team by going as openly-Japanese as possible.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Petit Gregory posted:

I'm pretty positive Manfred von Karma got the death penalty since he's dead by the start of AA2.

Also a 9 year old is still guilty of murder even if it was an an accident and arguably self defence.

I've just finished the first one and my favourite little thing is when von Karma says something like "I'm the prosecution, it's not my job to prove things!" which really sums the whole nonsense up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Astral Chain is loving cool so far but an early little thing I really appreciated is it lets you change your outfit like ten minutes into the game so you can take off your dumb necktie and look less like a brooding boarding school kid.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 has special super attacks you can access by playing as specific character combinations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Condemned series does a great job of accurately capturing the feeling of brutally beating homeless drug addicts to death with your hands and pipes. Kudos.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

oldpainless posted:

The Condemned series does a great job of accurately capturing the feeling of brutally beating homeless drug addicts to death with your hands and pipes. Kudos.

More like oldruthless, amirite?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

madeintaipei posted:

More like oldruthless, amirite?

More like oldpainful

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I forgot how loving cool the general’s speeches were in the older Total War games. I played Shogun II today and one of my general’s lines before attacking an enemy army in my territory was “Our foes today are dishonored and dishonorable. They were born in filth, and will die unloved, their infamy a shroud to wrap their rotting corpses” which is just insanely good

Ones from other games that stuck in my memory are a general with the “insane” trait assuring his men that they’ll win this time because he’s wearing his special helmet so the moon people won’t be able to interfere with his thoughts, and another just randomly stopping in the middle of a line to scream that he saw a snake and plead for someone to get it away from him—I think both were from Medieval II but the first one might have been Rome 1

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My favorite one personally is from Rome I. If a general has the "boring" trait he'll give a tremendously boring pre-battle speech. He's just like "well my wife said I should give a speech today..." Then he just rambles in this dumb monotone.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Speaking of Shogun II I loved all the cutscenes from the ninja actions. Watching your level 1 dumbass accidentally throw himself from the walls of a castle or your max rank dude winning a sick sword fight it was always entertaining.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

Brimming with excitingly bad ideas.

Lobok posted:

Mousetrap was great for evil lairs of small action figure bad guys when Santa was being a tool and didn't bring you the actual evil lairs of those bad guys.

I'm convinced that no one ever actually played Mousetrap as an actual board game. Did we gently caress around with all the crazy contraptions? Oh, absolutely. But did anyone ever sit down and actually take turns while following the rules to see who won? I doubt it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zarkboy posted:

I'm convinced that no one ever actually played Mousetrap as an actual board game. Did we gently caress around with all the crazy contraptions? Oh, absolutely. But did anyone ever sit down and actually take turns while following the rules to see who won? I doubt it.

I played my copy exactly once. Every other time was to gently caress around and it ruled.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zarkboy posted:

On the one hand, kudos for them making building the trap a core component of the gameplay. On the other hand, the rest of the rules are really basic and boring so who can blame anyone for just skipping the game part entirely.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Claire the extended cut. I try not to buy games with a female protagonist but it was cheap and I love the dog in it. I love all the dogs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

More like old- wait, loving what?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

oldpainless posted:

Claire the extended cut. I try not to buy games with a female protagonist but it was cheap and I love the dog in it. I love all the dogs.

...why?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

more like old dameless

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, that's... huh? Alright the male gaze for some titles can be pretty bad, but that's no reason to exclude all female protagonists.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

More like old sexist

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
hosed up if true

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I only buy games with female protagonists.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ok I want to clarify something about my last post. The breed of the dog in the game looks to be a German shepherd. I didn’t want to confuse or mislead anyone. Sorry about that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

oldpainless posted:

Ok I want to clarify something about my last post. The breed of the dog in the game looks to be a German shepherd. I didn’t want to confuse or mislead anyone. Sorry about that.

More like oldexplainless.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Few things in the natural world can match the single-minded ferocity of a pack of goons that have caught the scent of a potential self-own.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Kanfy posted:

Few things in the natural world can match the single-minded ferocity of a pack of goons that have caught the scent of a potential self-own.

I don't know if you've met Twitter but that's humanity online in general my friend. And it won't work cause I've honestly never seen painless troll poorly.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I only buy and play games that prominently feature pubic hair. Since they censored FF8's Siren summon, I'm down to flash hentai games, Shadow of the Colossus, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Petit Gregory posted:

Ace Attorney is a parody of the Japanese criminal justice system but like most parodies it doesn't really translate overseas. The ACTUAL Japanese system has a 99% conviction rate, close coordination between prosecutors and the police, and [until recently] no jury system at all. All of this comes across as wacky video-gamey courtroom hijinks to an american audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...