Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
You COULD probably but it would fly in the face of the intention of that rule you dingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

If you do a Blackshields army with the Chymeriae trait (which forbids taking an allied detachment) can you still take them as an allied detachment (to Mechanicus or Solars Aux or whatever, subject to the "Fellow Warriors only" restriction as per usual for Blackshields)?

yep

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Really excited to see that army built and painted!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This is going to be the most Blanchitsu army ever

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Raven Guard would be far more interesting with a bunch of bits mashed in from these guys:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warcry-Corvus-Cabal-2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Raven Guard would be far more interesting with a bunch of bits mashed in from these guys:

Hard disagree, but I do wish they'd redesign these dudes to look just a bit cooler.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-Dark-Fury-Assault-Squad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Hard disagree, but I do wish they'd redesign these dudes to look just a bit cooler.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-Dark-Fury-Assault-Squad

Those guys are rad, stick the weird bird skull hat heads on them

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

They’re cool but the scale is off—if you wanted to do e.g. a legionary with one unarmored gnarled feathered arm ending in a clawed hand poking out from under a pauldron and holding a bolt pistol, you’d probably need it it to be beefier than the arms from that kit.

I am planning on trying to learn how to make casts of the bird skulls masks they’re wearing so I can stick ‘em on the front of the RG Reiver helms, but that’s 40k stuff and this is the 30k thread.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just lol if you think anyone plays Raven Guard.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you think anyone plays Raven Guard.

I know like five people who’ve “started a raven guard army” and have yet to show a painted model. Curse of Corax.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
They have fun looking rules I just have no desire to play them.

Those ap2 claws are dope tho

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Really excited to see that army built and painted!

Book 9 has a chart on the last page "marines must be this tall to be played"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I really like raven guard. I wrote up a ZM list that is extremely style over substance. Maybe I’ll do them after I complete all my toxx armies. :dukedoge:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TTerrible posted:

I really like raven guard. I wrote up a ZM list that is extremely style over substance. Maybe I’ll do them after I complete all my toxx armies. :dukedoge:

Ill add you as my sixth “I swear I’m doing a raven guard army” player.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ill add you as my sixth “I swear I’m doing a raven guard army” player.

The models just own. The special lightning claws for sgts, the headhunter dudes. It’s all so cool. Mk6 is cool as hell in itself.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's really loving funny that Raven Guard are completely non-existent in the 30k community. Like, they're played less than even Iron Hands.

Lore-accurate though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I JUST realized today that their funny wings on the Dark Furies are ravens.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Real talk: 30k RG have a neat pacific islander aesthetic going on in some of the black book art and it'd be great to see it expanded to more of their model range. Their contemptor features some elements, but that's about it. And that's not to say that their models are bad or anything; the mor deythan are fantastic and the dark furies have the insane murder bird thing covered.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You know who would make for some great Raven Guard proxies? These iron hands.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

Real talk: 30k RG have a neat pacific islander aesthetic going on in some of the black book art and it'd be great to see it expanded to more of their model range. Their contemptor features some elements, but that's about it. And that's not to say that their models are bad or anything; the mor deythan are fantastic and the dark furies have the insane murder bird thing covered.

Well, Corax hated the Pacific Islander aesthetic dudes and exiled them to the edge of the galaxy, so it’s no wonder they don’t get played up much in core RG stuff.

Which, overall, was a service, as it allowed them to become the objectively far superior Carcharodons Astra. Raven Guard may be My Dudes but I can only look upon the Space Sharks in envy.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Zasze posted:

Those ap2 claws are dope tho

Unfortunately, they are merely AP3, albeit with Rending. They’re still a pretty drat good deal for the points, but you might actually see some RG on the table if they were AP2.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

But enough about Primaris Shryke

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Well, Corax hated the Pacific Islander aesthetic dudes and exiled them to the edge of the galaxy, so it’s no wonder they don’t get played up much in core RG stuff.

Which, overall, was a service, as it allowed them to become the objectively far superior Carcharodons Astra. Raven Guard may be My Dudes but I can only look upon the Space Sharks in envy.

I'm curious what the split of space sharks vs ashen claws is from the outcasts since tyberos weapons were said to be from the ashen claws armory in outer dark.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Unfortunately, they are merely AP3, albeit with Rending. They’re still a pretty drat good deal for the points, but you might actually see some RG on the table if they were AP2.

Huh I always thought they were native ap2 whoops.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zasze posted:

Huh I always thought they were native ap2 whoops.
AP3 with shred and rending is still pretty good. That re-roll to wound will probably snag a couple more rends each combat. Still not something you'd want to throw at terminators, but should help out in a pinch.

They're also all master-crafted which I'm sure makes rolling out dark furies a fun time.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Zasze posted:

I'm curious what the split of space sharks vs ashen claws is from the outcasts since tyberos weapons were said to be from the ashen claws armory in outer dark.

Given that the Carcharodons seem to become some sort of monsters as they age and the Ashen Claws don’t (and given that whatever sort of monsters they become don’t seem to have anything to do with sharks), my commentary about the Pale Nomads becoming the Carcharodons is probably just wrong and the Pale Nomads/Dust Clad became the Ashen Claws while some surviving Raptors fled Corax’s purge by following their predecessor-gene-brothers to the same edge of space and became the Carcharodons.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Given that the Carcharodons seem to become some sort of monsters as they age and the Ashen Claws don’t (and given that whatever sort of monsters they become don’t seem to have anything to do with sharks), my commentary about the Pale Nomads becoming the Carcharodons is probably just wrong and the Pale Nomads/Dust Clad became the Ashen Claws while some surviving Raptors fled Corax’s purge by following their predecessor-gene-brothers to the same edge of space and became the Carcharodons.

Third company is strongly hinted at being world eaters so its all kinds of interesting. The ashen claws also stole the nostromo Gene seed vaults contents before loving off so the space sharks might just be hosed up bathtub khymera.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So Ashen Claws would be using Void Reavers thing in 30k and gently caress it, what sane man would play 40k.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

JBP posted:

It's like the weird dude who you're taller than but when you sit down to dinner he's really big and you're like what the hell then you stand up to leave dinner and he's got small legs and you start yelling hey you've got wheels for legs wheels for legs wheels for legs and he cries

I need someone to explain this post to me because I am really struggling.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I played a doubles game once against Salamanders and Ravenguard. The Ravenguard player kept his entire army in reserve, so being a typical Alpha Legion player, I stacked his reserve rolls to -3, coming in on a 6+. We tabled the Salamanders player before turn 4 so I can't confirm that the Ravenguard guy actually had an army or not.

Schadenboner posted:

If you do a Blackshields army with the Chymeriae trait (which forbids taking an allied detachment) can you still take them as an allied detachment (to Mechanicus or Solars Aux or whatever, subject to the "Fellow Warriors only" restriction as per usual for Blackshields)?

I've always played it so that if something forbids an allied detachment, they also can't be an allied detachment.

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 5, 2019

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Ghazk posted:

I played a doubles game once against Salamanders and Ravenguard. The Ravenguard player kept his entire army in reserve, so being a typical Alpha Legion player, I stacked his reserve rolls to -3, coming in on a 6+. We tabled the Salamanders player before turn 4 so I can't confirm that the Ravenguard guy actually had an army or not.

I've always played it so that if something forbids an allied detachment, they also can't be an allied detachment.

That’s hilarious, and entirely appropriate for Alpha Legion, so well done.

Regarding the second thing; I do the same, as I feel that anything different is trying to game the system, which is pretty counter to the social contract that most of my local 30k community aims to adhere to.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Broken Record Talk posted:

Regarding the second thing; I do the same, as I feel that anything different is trying to game the system, which is pretty counter to the social contract that most of my local 30k community aims to adhere to.

Eh, I think it’s at least semi intentional, given how stuff like the imperial army/alpha legion allies matrix works.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Eh, I think it’s at least semi intentional, given how stuff like the imperial army/alpha legion allies matrix works.

I think trying to game the system is how our local meta works.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Yeah it's weird. That matrix entry was confirmed to be intentional. But then the Headhunter Leviathal says "Detachments using this Rite of War may not take an Allied Detachment (They can't afford to leave witnesses!)." which makes me think that at least in that specific case the intent was no allies in any form.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Booley posted:

I think trying to game the system is how our local meta works.

the WAAC PNW meta

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
PNW meta makes Armies of Dark Compliance an automatic write off.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
before playing I beg my opponent for forgiveness

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This one stipulation makes Armies of Dark Compliance DOA in the PNW.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

No he can play it but his wins dont count

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
any change ZM boards are being pulled to be updated or did I officially screw myself by going to bed without ordering lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

any change ZM boards are being pulled to be updated or did I officially screw myself by going to bed without ordering lmao

:unsmith: Such bold dreams