Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

something something toyetic

Toyetic is releasing yet another stormtrooper but this time the helmet is 0.005% smaller because it used the "background character" version of a helmet prop rather than one that's used in close-ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Never forget that Darth Vader's first words in Star Wars were "Are you an angel?"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

euphronius posted:

Lucas is obviously joking and making fun of fans.
Doubling down on midichlorians:

quote:

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles for the Whills to travel around in….We’re vessels for them. And the conduit is the midichlorians. The midichlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force… All the way back to—with the Force and the Jedi and everything—the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it.”

Nov 6, 2002

He is such a goddamn liar. There is no way that was ever the original intent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe it it seems more like jokes or sarcasm.

Some of that was in the first drafts from like 1973 or whatever

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Part of Lucas' opening crawl for Episode 7 is in the TFA art book, and mentions a "Coalition of Star Systems" that's challenging the New Republic's right to rule the galaxy, which sounds like an evolution of the Separatists from the prequels.
Padme was on the verge of siding with them in Episode 3, so having a conflict that actually does have "heroes on both sides" would be an interesting way to go.

Nov 6, 2002

Robot Style posted:

Part of Lucas' opening crawl for Episode 7 is in the TFA art book, and mentions a "Coalition of Star Systems" that's challenging the New Republic's right to rule the galaxy, which sounds like an evolution of the Separatists from the prequels.
Padme was on the verge of siding with them in Episode 3, so having a conflict that actually does have "heroes on both sides" would be an interesting way to go.

Would evil be everywhere?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

no, sand

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Does the New Republic tolerate slavery?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

euphronius posted:

Lucas is obviously joking and making fun of fans.

Nah, I think he was legit. That's just the kind of out-of-the-blue twist you'd get in some pulp scifi. Compare with Lensman's "suddenly warfare is fought by psychics using the concept of love as a cudgel" or Dune's "suddenly the protagonist is a man-worm" or Childhood End's "suddenly humankind doesn't exist like that."

Scifi going psychedelic in the third act ain't anything new.

Nov 6, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Does the New Republic tolerate slavery?

Remember when Qui-Gon won a small child slave in a bet and took him from his mother the slave rather than just freeing them both straight up cause he's a loving Jedi?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Remember when Return of the Jedi spent Act 1 on a desert, Act 2 in a forest, and suddenly they're in space blowing things up?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like a lot of people try and cover up Lucas having dumb ideas by saying 'he's just joking'

Like don't get me wrong, he's done good things and is successful as all hell, but there have been plenty of times (ie. the Prequels) where it was obvious that he needed someone to tell him no to his dumb ideas.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
My earlier post about it being hard to continue a story that's finished was more about them going back to that Empire/Rebels well, rather than the fact it's impossible to tell a new star wars story. They had pretty much an open field and chose to do what the OT did again, but not as well. Maybe Lucas' mini universe idea would have been better, or if the war profiteers from TLJ were the actual villains of the story rather than just an aside that I'm betting will never come up again, we could have some good movies.

But they went back to the old story and it's just not interesting, the empire lost last time, who cares about some cosplayers trying to carry on their legacy?

This is why even though I don't like the ST, I think a lot of the hate is misdirected at Rian Johnson and TLJ, whereas I think the problem stems from TFA. That movie just locked them into doing the same old poo poo, Johnson seemed to want to break free but was constrained by the story prompt he received. Although he could have done a better job of actually "killing the past", rather than just talking about it and ending with a fascist group headed by a space wizard vs a plucky group of rebels again.

Nov 6, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like a lot of people try and cover up Lucas having dumb ideas by saying 'he's just joking'

Like don't get me wrong, he's done good things and is successful as all hell, but there have been plenty of times (ie. the Prequels) where it was obvious that he needed someone to tell him no to his dumb ideas.

Hey George, maybe not fill this movie full of racist caricatures? Also, could we build some sets too?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TFA had problems but I think it at least built somewhat of a foundation that could be used for the rest of the trilogy. The problem is that Rian Johnson clearly didn't want to do any of that so he did his own thing, but it still felt pretty restrained despite it feeling like he was trying to deconstruct the SW mythos. The solution to this would have been to have someone in charge of the SW films actually put together a roadmap of how this new trilogy was going to proceed from beginning to end so that it doesn't feel so jarring. I'm still not convinced that Episode 9 is going to be able to wrap up all of the plot stuff without making the rest of the movies into more of a mess. I get that they are doing a time jump, but a year doesn't feel like nearly long enough. It's also not a good sign when all of the leaks keep circling around 'Palpatine is responsible for everything' which is a giant copout.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Hey George, maybe not fill this movie full of racist caricatures? Also, could we build some sets too?

D for effort

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

garycoleisgod posted:

This is why even though I don't like the ST, I think a lot of the hate is misdirected at Rian Johnson and TLJ, whereas I think the problem stems from TFA. That movie just locked them into doing the same old poo poo, Johnson seemed to want to break free but was constrained by the story prompt he received. Although he could have done a better job of actually "killing the past", rather than just talking about it and ending with a fascist group headed by a space wizard vs a plucky group of rebels again.

I think TLJ has some nuts and bolts flaws holding it down, but the big reason it feels kind of unfulfilling is that it's fundamentally about Star Wars' inability to evolve as a franchise. Like, it's barely even subtext. Luke has studied the prequels and correctly identified that the galaxy is locked in a never-ending cycle, and he's never really refuted. At the end of it, all he can do is shrug and say, "well I guess we just have no other choice than to do this for forever."

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Also keep in mind that to goons in 2019 everything is a racist caricature and I am a racist for pointing this out.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Since all the spoilers are saying that Snoke was a Palpatine's ghost possession, it will be hilarious how they try and explain how the TLJ novelization had Snoke POV passages where he is in fact not Sheev. Obviously the movies will ignore it but I'll love to see the scrambling by the Story Group as they struggle to explain it away as all in "Unified Canon" with a straight face.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
It still seems utterly insane to me that they knew from day 1 that the sequel films would be a trilogy, and they didn't bother to even plan a basic story arc outline for them.

And I still don't know what the political set up of these films are. I knew the political setup to Star Wars in the first 20 seconds

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It still seems utterly insane to me that they knew from day 1 that the sequel films would be a trilogy, and they didn't bother to even plan a basic story arc outline for them.

And I still don't know what the political set up of these films are. I knew the political setup to Star Wars in the first 20 seconds
TFA doesn't even bother to explain it so clearly it's not important

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The sequels exist in the Fukuyamist dream of the End of History (which in Star Wars means fascists vs. liberal democrats forever).

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

A better way to plan the sequel trilogy would have been to let John Williams write three movies worth of music and then write the script to match that.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Dig up Wagner's corpse.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

A New Hope is one of the tightest movies ever made.

I dunno man, basically everything between the opening scene and Luke getting an exposition dump from Ben is extremely flabby.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FlamingLiberal posted:

TFA doesn't even bother to explain it so clearly it's not important

No, it's extremely important. It's so important that you need to buy the new books, Marvel Star Wars comic series, and Disney+ network so that you can learn all of these things before watching the movie!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Planning an actual story arc means you can't sociopathically adapt to your focus groups and completely rework the entire shape of your narrative at the drop of a hat.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Never forget that Darth Vader's first words in Star Wars were "Are you an angel?"

Actually they were "Mel tassa cho-passa".

Also I noticed now that those two frames of Anakin flinching at Watto's raised arm were actually in the script.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jimbot posted:

That random stormtrooper who fought Finn in TFA did more than Phasma. Why that wasn't Phasma is beyond me. Maybe it's all part of JJ's mystery box of cinema.

sigher posted:

Boba Fett hauls Solo's rear end away leaving his fate uncertain until the next film, it's pretty cool. Also gave us Operation Save Solo in ROTJ which is awesome. Not saying Boba Fett is a great character (because he really isn't a character), but he serves a purpose. You could remove Phasma from the sequels and the films would be no worse because she doesn't do anything.

I still really am stunned at how Phasma turned out, like, why would you even bother designing such a character and still even having them in the final script/movie? Just have that one storm trooper who fought Finn be the same guy that scolds him once in the first act and the one they have take down the shield at gunpoint.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Phasma has to be one of the top 10 people in hollywood movie history who get the most screentime but who the audience knows nothing about and has been given no reason to care about them.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the TRAITOR guy accomplished more in 3 minutes of screentime than Phasma did in 2 films' worth

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m still amazed they kept her in TLJ

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the battle for most pointless terrible character of phasma vs maz kanata, I would have given it to phasma given the state of things after star wars 8. But apparently maz is back in star wars 9 for some god forsaken reason, so the fight's not over yet

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The only thing dumber than bringing her back in TLJ is not bringing her back in TROS. May as well make her the Nolan scarecrow guy of star wars

edit: https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/05/inside-the-mandalorian-star-wars/

Not sure why I find it so funny to see a relatively pastoral scene with a spaceman chilling in it. I hope this means the titular Mandalorian is a nevernuder

The Mandalorian unmasked: ‘We did things no Star Wars fan has ever seen’ the jokes write themselves

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 5, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ingmar terdman posted:

The only thing dumber than bringing her back in TLJ is not bringing her back in TROS. May as well make her the Nolan scarecrow guy of star wars

She's coming back as a force ghost

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Catching up, I love these guys so loving much. I should have known they'd love red eyed Creepio.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Style posted:

Wasn't that always the hidden secret of the Rebellion, that it was just the surviving Confederacy plus whichever human elites got shut out of Palpatine's power grab?

Nov 6, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Phasma has to be one of the top 10 people in hollywood movie history who get the most screentime but who the audience knows nothing about and has been given no reason to care about them.

They know she was in GoT and that's about the only back story she's gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Mameluke posted:

Wasn't that always the hidden secret of the Rebellion, that it was just the surviving Confederacy plus whichever human elites got shut out of Palpatine's power grab?

It’s never made super clear to me but I like the idea that the Rebellion is made up of the surviving Seperatist factions, some of that is reflected in the ship designs