Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

Lol he makes his hair messy in the front to distract from the bald spot in the back

this is boris with his hair cut and 'smartened'. because he's serious now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The Lords talking about guillotines :discourse:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bankers, on their hands and knees, crying and groveling as they beg BIGG COMMIE DADDY to save them from Brexit

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

bankers, on their hands and knees, crying and groveling as they beg BIGG COMMIE DADDY to save them from Brexit

:yeshaha:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jam stocks are through the roof

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

dpf posted:

this is boris with his hair cut and 'smartened'. because he's serious now

The UK version of Rick Perry's smart guy glasses.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
23:36:25 Lord True (Conservative)

The main conservative lord who is putting forth all the amendments (Lord True) is really terrible at filibustering, and keeps giving the same terrible speech at the beginning of every amendment proposal, and everyone is getting pretty annoyed with him

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Here’s the Sun’s take (in England)

And in the Scottish Sun-

Oh Murdoch

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
"the guillotine motion could be dropped"

poor choice of words

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

The Lords talking about guillotines :discourse:

and saying it quite a bit!

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

wow never thought i'd see the day

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Ah, I was hoping the super weird corporate state of the City of London would stick their noses in this. If you're a dumb boggling yank like me reading about that clusterfuck is another fine detail of British politics that will make your head spin.

Maybe somehow the Protectorate period laws will come into play. :allears:

twoday
May 4, 2005

The Sun is only 55p?? That’s crazy cheap, even for such a rag

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

twoday posted:

Probably a case where its readers would revolt if they changed the price because inflation does not exist if you're a dumb Boomer.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
am i really watching this. Is the commons done for today?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What does the House of Lords do? Is it just a vestigial part of the government now?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raccooon posted:

What does the House of Lords do? Is it just a vestigial part of the government now?

it’s like the senate but for rich pricks. sort of

twoday
May 4, 2005

Seamlessly transitioning from a discussion about how it is important to Lords that they all have degrees from Cambridge and nepotistically appointed each other to jobs, to a discussion about how they would have “wriggled and fought and farted” to evade the literal guillotine of the French Revolution, this is the absolute distilled essence of the House of Lords

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

twoday posted:

if you want to reach a large audience with your reactionary bullshit to poison their minds, you make your paper cheap or free

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

But seems weird because it looks much weaker than the US senate from a quick glance at its wiki.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

how many votes are left to go in the Lords. Does anyone know?

e: this is the liviest i've ever seen the upper house. they're even heckling. madness. usually eveyone is just asleep

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

So Hey Long is born again as an Englishmen.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

lost my old email posted:

do not do it you fucks do not turn this into a dr. who thread you fukken sickos

would you say wednesday is bigger on the inside?

sorry, im sorry, im trying to delete it

twoday
May 4, 2005

dpf posted:

how many votes are left to go in the Lords. Does anyone know?

e: this is the liviest i've ever seen the upper house. they're even heckling. madness. usually eveyone is just asleep

There is no way they have gone through more than a dozen, and there were somewhere between 90 and 110 amendments. I read somewhere that at the current pace they were expected to go till Sunday

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

twoday posted:

There is no way they have gone through more than a dozen, and there were somewhere between 90 and 110 amendments. I read somewhere that at the current pace they were expected to go till Sunday

the first elderly casualities of a no-deal will be in the upper house at this rate lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Raccooon posted:

But seems weird because it looks much weaker than the US senate from a quick glance at its wiki.

check out what they can expense and how much oversight is exercised over those expenses

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I'm still watching the Lords. Specifically this fucker is talking:

This bastard is Lord True. As a professional logician I find that name offensive.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1169388492851437568?s=20

https://twitter.com/hisham_hm/status/1169271866755899394?s=20

I think they have to keep it up till Friday at 5 pm to win, but I’m not sure

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Hexyflexy posted:

professional logician

whereof you cannot speak, you must be silent

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Aw, I kind of hoped the Lords still wore wigs and fancy robes on a daily basis.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
The main function of the House of Lords is to determine whether It Is Wednesday. This is an oft-overlooked, yet vital function, since time does not actually exist.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

[DID YOU KNOW?] Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was in the music video for Fat Les's song "Vindaloo"? Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaBdajHOsSM&t=132s

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Cross posting from the cspam wrestling thread

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

https://youtu.be/4E5sHRhk5YA

Spoilers for NJPW Royal Quest if you haven't seen it yet

ZSJ blames Boris Johnson for his losing the British Heavyweight Championship

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Taintrunner posted:

So the senate

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Raccooon posted:

Like the Commons, the members of the Lords group along party lines plus some independents ('Crossbench' peers), but the Conservative Lords aren't 'the government'. They can be expected (but not relied on) to support legislation coming from the government and the whip system also operates in the Lords.

Since the 1900s the Lords has been subordinate to the Commons (a positioned strengthened by further legislation in the 1940s)- its purpose is to review and recommend changes to Bills coming up from the Commons. It cannot block them or recommend 'changes' that nullify the legislation. A Bill normally needs to pass both Houses to go on and receive Royal Assent to become law. If, after a Bill is shunted back and forth too many times or without any clear resolution, the Commons can invoke the Parliament Act and bypass the Lord's entirely. There is a :siren: convention :siren: that the Lords won't delay the passage of legislation that was in a government's election manifesto as this is seen as having even more democratic weight.

As seemingly ridiculous and patently undemocratic as the Lords is, it often works surprisingly well. Because its members are appointed for life they're under very little political pressure to follow a party line. Many have decades of experience in parliamentary procedure, law, foreign affairs or various economic, industrial or scientific areas of expertise (plus a good number being octogenarian inbreds and/or nonces and other horrors). They can, do and have stopped badly-drafted, knee-jerk or the most blatant authoritarian laws being passed through and, during the Brexit Years have passed some spectacular slap-downs on governments trying to weasel out of the proper channels. In the pre-Corbyn 2010-2015 years when Labour lacked any balls the Lords Spiritual, of all loving people, who were pretty much the only voice in Parliament saying "Maybe it's immoral to kill all the poor, disabled people and deport anyone who looks a bit foreign?"

That's not a real defence of the Lords as a institution, but it has its place in the weird British political system and it really kinda works quite well. Far better than you'd think it would when the basic description is 'unelected upper chamber of overwhelmingly old, rich, white dudes who are there for life, some of whom are required to be high ranking members of the state religion'

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg
Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg
Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg
Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg
Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg
Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg
Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg
Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg
Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg
Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg
Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg

Must be hard getting a flight ticket with these names. Guess they don’t really fancy leaving their island, though.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

dpf posted:

whereof you cannot speak, you must be silent

I was trying to come up with a good response, you've bloody got me on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Hexyflexy posted:

I was trying to come up with a good response, you've bloody got me on that one.

anayltic philosophy is brexit