Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been working on my Nos all week. I've dialed him into someone that is highly intelligent but is very insecure about it.
So I'm thinking that his aura makes people feel like he's always about to UM, ACTUALLY them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

'guy that everyone assumes is going to sealion them immediately' is a powerful Nos aura.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Angry Lobster posted:

I heard that the Giovanni in V5 got mauled by the inquisition/Harbringers, and are merging with the Samedi and remaining Cappadocians. Is that even true? Sounds a bit unlikely.

Strangely yes, at least the merge part. I don’t recall exactly why it’s happening.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PantsOptional posted:

Strangely yes, at least the merge part. I don’t recall exactly why it’s happening.

From what I read the Second Inquisition took out a number of the elders and the younger members of the clan made a deal with the other necromancer clans. The younger ones might have sold out the remaining elders, like the Lasombra did, but they haven't gotten a full write up yet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry Lobster posted:

I heard that the Giovanni in V5 got mauled by the inquisition/Harbringers, and are merging with the Samedi and remaining Cappadocians. Is that even true? Sounds a bit unlikely.

That does feel as bland as I've to come to expect from V5.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The best way to merge the Giovanni with the Samedi and Cappadocians is for the latter two to eat the former.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah that would be fairly consistent with the 'writing backwards from the conclusion' style of V5.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
more nosferatu disfigurements

hair naturally looks like a really bad wig
eternally bleeding nose
skin exposed to any light gains a burned appearance a day later and "heals" slowly
teeth shaped like tiny clawed hands
large protrusive eyes that occasionally extend themselves on small stalks

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ogresque posted:

more nosferatu disfigurements

hair naturally looks like a really bad wig
eternally bleeding nose
skin exposed to any light gains a burned appearance a day later and "heals" slowly
teeth shaped like tiny clawed hands
large protrusive eyes that occasionally extend themselves on small stalks
Hands with no fingernails (just smooth skin to the tip) and see how long it goes before someone notices and just starts throwing up

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The best way to merge the Giovanni with the Samedi and Cappadocians is for the latter two to eat the former.

Honestly, all the “independent” clans could go the way of the Ravnos and the setting wouldn’t lose much. They all started out (in 2e) as dumb, offensive stereotypes. There have been heroic efforts to retcon them into something interesting, but there’s a limit to how much you can polish those particular turds. Then again, I prefer Requiem for just this reason, so I’m probably not the target audience here. But if you’re committed to nostalgia over actual quality, why bother to make changes at all? (I know, I know — because Ericsson wanked all over 5e, and the new writers have to deal with the mess he left. Poor bastards.)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

DSPaul posted:

Honestly, all the “independent” clans could go the way of the Ravnos and the setting wouldn’t lose much. They all started out (in 2e) as dumb, offensive stereotypes. There have been heroic efforts to retcon them into something interesting, but there’s a limit to how much you can polish those particular turds. Then again, I prefer Requiem for just this reason, so I’m probably not the target audience here. But if you’re committed to nostalgia over actual quality, why bother to make changes at all? (I know, I know — because Ericsson wanked all over 5e, and the new writers have to deal with the mess he left. Poor bastards.)
Yeah no I agree on every point, but if one of the selling points (is it?) of owod/WoD is that the metaplot actually changes options, "yeah these guys are clans now, those guys are food now" would be an interesting change to make.

Rather than a metaplot being "here's what changed ok go, go, go, STOP THIS IS EXACTLY AS FAR AS ANYTHING EVER CHANGES" which is the sense I get of a lot of it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The translation guide had clans like the Giovanni and setites act more as secret covenants that any clan could be a part of. I liked that so much that I still use it in my Requiem games.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Well Thought Out Alliance Between Junior Necromancers, Those The Junior Necromancers' Forebears Slaughtered

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

Say you're trying to solve a murder, and you walk up to this Nos and make a wild guess about who the culprit is. Does the Nos then go into excruciating detail about how the deed was done and by whom?

Probably not? I meant the obscure part as in trivia. But the idea of a Nos being cursed with a pedantic, oracular shadow that constantly corrects him is a powerful one.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Not World of Darkness, but I just found out this was a thing and it should be in my hands tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1689960671/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Soonmot posted:

Not World of Darkness, but I just found out this was a thing and it should be in my hands tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1689960671/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pounded in the Butt by My Demon Roommates' Embed Key.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Soonmot posted:

Proof the Seers are losing!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So I've been checking Mors' Rattus' F&F of Shunned by the Moon when I can, and it's a pretty stellar Werewolf sourcebook. As someone who only has the 2e CoD book of WtF, can any shapeshifting veterans in this topic recommend me some of Werewolf's other best books?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Libertad! posted:

So I've been checking Mors' Rattus' F&F of Shunned by the Moon when I can, and it's a pretty stellar Werewolf sourcebook. As someone who only has the 2e CoD book of WtF, can any shapeshifting veterans in this topic recommend me some of Werewolf's other best books?

Predators was also good, I'm moving onto the Pure book next paycheck.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Libertad! posted:

The only other 2e book currently out is The Pack, plus the Werewolf eras in the Dark Eras and Dark Eras Companion books (of which The Sundered World from the former and Forsaken by Rome from the latter are quite good).

Looking over 1e Werewolf books, Predators was the go-to book for grasping the ecology and character of the Shadow throughout first edition (and contains some classic spirits like Little-Road-Tyrants, the extremely bossy and not especially powerful spirits of traffic lights). Night Horrors: Wolfsbane is the 1e counterpart to Shunned by the Moon and follows a similar format with some thematic similarities, although it's not quite as creative as some of SbtM's ideas and cleaves more to individual characters than classes of character. It's got Urazakh-Angir, though, who remains one of my favorite Werewolf NPC writeups. The War Against the Pure, while it only devotes one chapter to it (and is otherwise about large-scale conflict with the Pure and epic gifts and blessings), is the favored choice for introducing other types of shapeshifting breeds to the nWoD, given that the book ostensibly dedicated to providing this was the execrable World of Darkness: Changing Breeds.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Predators, like Damnation City, is a book I find myself using all the time even when I'm not running the game line it's supposedly for.

Five Eyes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 5, 2019

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

LatwPIAT posted:

I actually wanted to go in the other direction: play down the Italian and maybe gangster aspects, play up the tight-knit Clan of necromancers with particular Embrace customs. A vampire group that Embraces solely (that is to say, tries to and fails frequently with lots of bastard children they refuse to acknowledge) within loyal ghouls from their own extended family is a pretty unique thing that I think could be kept. VTM-with-extra-family-politics is a wonderful avenue for playable conflicts, and there's a certain horror to play up in being part of a powerful, rich, and controlling family.

Note that you'll never this kind of post pointed towards the kindred of the east. Because they're such a lovely idea that there is literally NO way to fix them without completely nuking 99.99% of their lore from orbit and starting all over again. Just start at "Asian Vampire Myths" and "Actually Undead Vampires" and try to make something out of those concepts without being a racist white idiot. Personally I'd COMPLETELY drop the idea of their religious beliefs as being the splats. Western Vampires and Werewolf's religious beliefs are second to their political ones so I don't see why we need to make the Asian Vampires follow that stupid lovely stereotype.

But then again I dislike 75% of VTM in general for being a white man's idea of what morally grey issues are.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

To be honest I do like the general idea of KotE as "Psychic/Literal Vampires whose souls escaped from Hell".

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I love that when they tried writing something culturally considerate they ended up being MORE wrong and offensive than if they had just showed up with their balls hanging out of their pants, slurring "everything we're using we learned about from the movie Robo Vampire and the Magic Cop/Mr. Vampire saga, fuckin deal with it nerds."

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Praying for our Carolina gamers right now 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Libertad! posted:

As far as first ed books, War Against the Pure is a good one, and has some non-wolf shapeshifters in it, can be used for inspiration if nothing else.

Blood of the Wolf has a lot of good information in it for getting into the mindset of a werewolf, just ignore the :biotruths: stuff in there.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
So after my ST brutally chopped my Brujah's head off for a masquerade breach I decided to reroll as a setite/Ministry member who is a tattoo artist who has a cult following/herd to feed on. My understanding is that setites basically "get off" on metaphorically walking someone through self realization and coming to terms with a truth, be it for better or worse?

So during a tattoo session/feed a member of his herd basically admitted that she was an exotic dancer to get through school and I decided that my character was going to push to see if this was merely a way to pay for school or if she actually desired that lifestyle and even further preparing to go into the field of being a sex worker full time. The NPC said fairly firmly it was for school while I pressed. It didn't go over so well.

My group has a system that I believe is vaguely described in the books to manage our groups comfort level with a scene using green for 'this is okay', yellow for 'haha slow your roll chief' and red for ' I Am Uncomfortable'. We conduct the sessions through roll20 and skype but post memes and stuff in a discord. I was in roll20 at the time and couldn't see the discord or the Webcam of my coterie faces but afterwards I tabbed over to see:

I'm embarrassed as hell that I didn't see it and mortified that I took it so far trying to RP a setite wanting to know someone's true nature. Am I doing this right? I guess it got weird but am I track for what a setite is trying to do? I'm all over the place and am super embarrassed but want to keep playing this character. I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Edit: sorry, this is V5

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 5, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man, quit playing with those assholes.

E: Not for using RED, obviously, but this is the same ST who nuked your character for playing the game "wrong," right?

moths fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 5, 2019

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I hope you apologized.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Less a WoD specific issue but more of a general roleplaying issue. Stoplight system is generally a good thing, especially if the setting touches on issues that necessitate it.

Generalizing based on the lack of context in your post, but the context of your kinda toxic table based on previous sessions, I’d say it sounds like the ST saw the red, and diverted the NPC encounter. You’re both probably responsible for taking the conversation down that route, but if it were me I would (delicately and non-confrontationally) ask the player what you can do to avoid the situation from happening again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would say that if you've agreed to this traffic light system (which I like) but neglected to use it, you should apologize to everyone and maybe send a PM to the person who had the issue with the scene.

It doesn't sound like you didn't anything malicious but people need to be really careful and cognizant about the comfort levels of others.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Blitz7x posted:

So after my ST brutally chopped my Brujah's head off for a masquerade breach I decided to reroll as a setite/Ministry member who is a tattoo artist who has a cult following/herd to feed on. My understanding is that setites basically "get off" on metaphorically walking someone through self realization and coming to terms with a truth, be it for better or worse?

So during a tattoo session/feed a member of his herd basically admitted that she was an exotic dancer to get through school and I decided that my character was going to push to see if this was merely a way to pay for school or if she actually desired that lifestyle and even further preparing to go into the field of being a sex worker full time. The NPC said fairly firmly it was for school while I pressed. It didn't go over so well.

My group has a system that I believe is vaguely described in the books to manage our groups comfort level with a scene using green for 'this is okay', yellow for 'haha slow your roll chief' and red for ' I Am Uncomfortable'. We conduct the sessions through roll20 and skype but post memes and stuff in a discord. I was in roll20 at the time and couldn't see the discord or the Webcam of my coterie faces but afterwards I tabbed over to see:

I'm embarrassed as hell that I didn't see it and mortified that I took it so far trying to RP a setite wanting to know someone's true nature. Am I doing this right? I guess it got weird but am I track for what a setite is trying to do? I'm all over the place and am super embarrassed but want to keep playing this character. I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Edit: sorry, this is V5

If you're going to use the traffic light system maybe you should actually follow through. It's important to respect the feelings of others when you agree to a safety system like this

Ingame: situations like this might be when you need to presence her into avoiding her future path of misery and guide her towards your ministry

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I would say that if you've agreed to this traffic light system (which I like) but neglected to use it, you should apologize to everyone and maybe send a PM to the person who had the issue with the scene.

It doesn't sound like you didn't anything malicious but people need to be really careful and cognizant about the comfort levels of others.

Yeah consent is really important. But if this is being played in chatrooms, why didn't the ST say something OOC about things going too far? I'm not sure how I feel about having to monitor multiple windows in multiple programs when playing, since I am an Old and don't like multitasking.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

moths posted:

Man, quit playing with those assholes.

E: Not for using RED, obviously, but this is the same ST who nuked your character for playing the game "wrong," right?

You do realize this is his fault for not following the agreed upon safety system

Imo blitz isnt giving us the whole picture and this 2nd post is more indicative of what is actually happening in his game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wait you're telling me the guy who refused to answer my question might not be telling the whole story!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oberst posted:

You do realize this is his fault for not following the agreed upon safety system

No poo poo I do, I said as much in the clarification edit that you yourself quoted.

I'm surprised that he's still playing with his garbage group. But he's also playing V5, so his trash tolerance is probably much higher than I'm used to.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Masquerade clans weren't worth saving.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Antediluvian is my favorite bloodline.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do you have any Vampire devotions you'd like to share?
I tend to write a lot but don't usually take them.

Here are two:

"Dressed to Suppress"
Req: Majesty *, Obfuscate **
Cost: 1 Vitae
While active, this devotion clouds the minds of those that can see you. You are given a glamour that turns your clothing (or lack-there-of) into a pristine outfit that best suits the environment. A Willpower may be spent to turn the clothing into that of an authority figure, even if you don't know what it should be.

Being touched breaks the glamour for the person doing the touching.

"Fear Eater"
Req: Nightmare **, Vigor *
Cost: 2 Vitae
Activating this devotion increases your Strength by 1 for every nearby creature that has the Afraid condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

As far as first ed books, War Against the Pure is a good one, and has some non-wolf shapeshifters in it, can be used for inspiration if nothing else.

Blood of the Wolf has a lot of good information in it for getting into the mindset of a werewolf, just ignore the :biotruths: stuff in there.

I rather like Hunting Grounds: Rockies even if I can't recommend it entirely because it's got stats for every werewolf except the pack leaders who are in the 1E book. One of the main conflicts is a juicy nobody's right and nobody's wrong ideological one, so that's always cool. Shadows of the UK is somewhat woof-centric, but is a great read on its own with things like Glasgow's The Other City.