Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Unrelated to everything I boarded a ship I think you'd get a kick out of Prester.

Edit: I should clarify I attended the maiden voyage of the Kobayashi Maru

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

Unrelated to everything I boarded a ship I think you'd get a kick out of Prester.

so...did you save them from the klingons?????

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BrandorKP posted:

If that ship ever issues a mayday......

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jazerus posted:

so...did you save them from the klingons?????

No but I have boarded the Millennium Falcon to inspect sensitive cargos of high consequence.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Prester Jane posted:

If that ship ever issues a mayday......

Imagine the look on the bridge crew's faces when they get a mayday signal from the Kobayashi Maru of all things.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
smdh at the invocations of marxism in this thread waved around to establish fake authority for inch-deep non-marxist critiques. you can't do anything resembling a marxist critique of a theoretical framework without understanding both the framework itself and the historical context of the phenomenon that it tries to explain in order to show how it only seems correct in the context it was developed in due to an accident of history.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uncop posted:

smdh at the invocations of marxism in this thread waved around to establish fake authority for inch-deep non-marxist critiques. you can't do anything resembling a marxist critique of a theoretical framework without understanding both the framework itself and the historical context of the phenomenon that it tries to explain in order to show how it only seems correct in the context it was developed in due to an accident of history.

Mother. Freaking. This.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've thought it over, and I'm going to be moving the thread to TGRS. The point at which moderators are officially sanctioning weird harassment campaigns against me (telling me in pm's that I "deserve" to be "bullied") in addition to me getting punished for politely asking a creeper to stop harassing me is the point at which keeping this thread in C-SPAM is just not worth putting up with that level of bullshit.

Whether this thread fits in C-SPAM or not doesn't really matter, because the moderator has made it clear that the normal C-SPAM community rules do not apply here.

I'll have the new thread out with a new OP up in a week or so.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Sep 2, 2019

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prester Jane posted:

I've thought it over, and I'm going to be moving the thread to TGRS. The point at which moderators are officially sanctioning weird harassment campaigns against me (telling me in pm's that I "deserve" to be "bullied") in addition to me getting punished for politely asking a creeper to stop harassing me is the point at which keeping this thread in C-SPAM is just not worth putting up with that level of bullshit.

Weather this thread fits in C-SPAN or not doesn't really matter, because the moderator has made it clear that the normal C-SPAM community rules do not apply here.

I'll have the new thread out with a new OP up in a week or so.

What's that? C-SPAM leadership being shitlords? Who EVER could have seen this coming :rolleyes:

Harrassment is a form of violence and the fact that they're not just doing the usual white male play of ignoring it, but actually ENCOURAGING it speaks volumes about where their loyalty actually lies. Stay strong sister, and I hope all the creepers die in a fire.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

uncop posted:

At least Helsing actually understands my work- although his criticisms have largely stemmed from how I've presented my work rather than the actual substance of my ideas.

The bulk (not all, but most) of the rest of critics clearly don't understand what my theories actually are. They seem to be knee-jerk reacting because they have this weird idea that my work is incompatible with Marxism or that I'm somehow part of the D&D Centrist/Liberal crew.

What I would like to be able to do is to get back to discussing the substance of my ideas rather than being the target of a half dozen weird personal crusades.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Sep 2, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1168720048225181697?s=19

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s nothing, there’s been Christian panic around Harry Potter for over a decade. It’s silly, sure, but it’s old timey religious paranoia.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting flashbacks to the Meuller thread.

Troll "What about the Iraq invasion?"
Mods "Yes, what ABOUT the Iraq invasion? Clearly, this is the right thread to talk about it because there are no other threads that are discussing the shitshow that has been the Iraq war."
Troll "Russia didn't help but if it did how would it be any different from Allende?"
Mods "Hmm. Good point, let's have a discussion about US imperialism?"
Posters "Or we can have that discussion in any of the other threads about US regional and global imperialism."
Mods "Don't make us issue sixers for stifling free discussion!"

At least our mods are still better than the ones at Reddit or Youtube.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/s...ingawful.com%2F

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

This just in, soon to be married couple to inherit wedding venue from racists after racists self-immolate.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

RandomPauI posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the Meuller thread.

Troll "What about the Iraq invasion?"
Mods "Yes, what ABOUT the Iraq invasion? Clearly, this is the right thread to talk about it because there are no other threads that are discussing the shitshow that has been the Iraq war."
Troll "Russia didn't help but if it did how would it be any different from Allende?"
Mods "Hmm. Good point, let's have a discussion about US imperialism?"
Posters "Or we can have that discussion in any of the other threads about US regional and global imperialism."
Mods "Don't make us issue sixers for stifling free discussion!"

At least our mods are still better than the ones at Reddit or Youtube.

Something Awful Dot Com: Slightly less pedophiles, guaranteed

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So someone's putting a whole hell of a lot of money into telling Christians that they need to arm up and start seriously fantasizing about violently resisting antifa:

https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1168987234755907587?s=19

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Is anyone here still subscribed to Tim Urban's blog, full of infographics and originally about life's economies or whatever?

He started putting out weekly articles again and his new ones are BONKERS.

If you don't remember, Tim Urban was paid off to be the first Bazinga. He boosted Elon's cult into the stratosphere by suddenly switching to writing nothing but Musk articles at the peak moment of his blog's popularity, redirecting his own entire fan base Elon's way. He opened with one called "Elon Musk: The World’s Raddest Man". He admits right off that it was in response to a cold call one day from Elon. We know Elon, so we know exactly what that cold call was. It was to become the first of many PR moves by Musk's atroturfing campaign.

Literally his own drawing

....yeah.

So Urban went from creating wonderful infographics about our society like these:

To these:

(Special LOL for him naming that image "pyramid2.png". He knew.)

To now, uh........ these:

From the above, we can see the effect the Musk incident had on Tim, even though there's no mention of Musk whatsoever in new articles or even in the fans' comments on them.

Instead it seems what he got out of his whole Elon Musk saga was.... weed?

Seriously, look at his newest article series and tell me you're not looking at the rantings of the stoned. You know what those read like.

So, did Tim ever issue an apology for starting the Tesla cult, which financially wrecked hundreds of thousands and killed dozens due to belief in something totally faked, not to mention empowered an extremely abusive billionaire? I jest, I jest, of course he didn't. There's been no acknowledgement by Tim of what was, in hindsight, his open astroturfing.

I wrote to Tim Urban at the tail end of his Musk debacle. He must have felt immense presure and what I assumed, immense guilt. I suggested there was a way out of this that could save his reputation, and put all the blame on Elon for doing what he does best. I offered to show him enough information to write a massive exposé for an apology. He never wrote back.

Back then, like every day, it looked like Tesla's collapse was imminent, and that Elon would soon be way too busy with bankruptcy to crush anybody else with his lawyers over an NDA. Knowing what we know now about the continued Trump-like shield against scandal, it's probably best for old Tim that he still hasn't crossed anyone.

Hey Prester, in your opinion is the dude I'm writing about above acting schizophrenic? After I made the post about him, I realized looking up and down his articles that he writes with a LOT of Special Capitalized Words that have Special meanings only in the context of his article, only he just doesn't capitalize them.

Just look at how many he uses in this one:
https://waitbutwhy.com/2019/09/stories.html

His blog is increasingly trying to channel what at first seemed to be as deep "stoner thoughts", but might actually be mental illness, into some greater understanding of how society is organized. Case in point:

Almost wish we had a guy like him making infographics about our own observations of cult narratives right?

Unfortunately, his similarities to what we do here end there because he hosed up majorly by 1. Actually starting a cult, 2. About Elon Musk, an extremely abusive conman and 3. It blew up huge and wrecked hundreds of thousands financially and physically. Fitting for this thread. So, is Tim Urban your evil doppelganger?

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Sep 4, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

So someone's putting a whole hell of a lot of money into telling Christians that they need to arm up and start seriously fantasizing about violently resisting antifa:

https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1168987234755907587?s=19

From the USPOL thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892697&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=973#post498021804

FizFashizzle posted:

I can tell you from an industry prospective, these movies exist almost exclusively to launder money and grift, and are never originally written past the first "big scene" in the movie.

They get enough money to film the first big scene, sign someone people have heard of (Sorbo in this case), and then go around to all the gun clubs, churches, whatever and offer investment/charity opportunities so they can "finish their message" and defeat the "mainstream something" thats keeping it out of the festival circuit.

In the rare case these things ever get finished, everything past the first act is all interior shots on a different camera from before, and you notice the lighting is off, and everyone is kinda wearing the same thing for however many days this goes on.

This is a very old film grift. I bet the movie isnt even close to being done; that's just a trailer for what they had. like they very clearly used the same shot for two different kevin sorbo reactions there.

It got me too, but it is most likely a grift. A kind of trailer.

It is plugging into very violent narratives, but the main thrust is to get money from people who want that poo poo.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ice Phisherman posted:

From the USPOL thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892697&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=973#post498021804

It is plugging into very violent narratives, but the main thrust is to get money from people who want that poo poo.

Well that's partly relieving, although it's also kind of concerning that grifters feel that this kind of radicalized narrative is what sells right now. Thanks for quoting this post and clearing that up, it makes a lot more sense that this is just a grift.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

His blog is increasingly trying to channel what at first seemed to be as deep "stoner thoughts", but might actually be mental illness, into some greater understanding of how society is organized. Case in point:

Almost wish we had a guy like him making infographics about our own observations of cult narratives right?

That's actually a pretty good illustration of the process of how how dogma and a theonomy work a description of how it worked in Catholicism (and a good general case) I've posted before:

"Don't forget all these steps: FIRST, the natural thought, which is in every religion. SECOND, the methodological development of doctrines. THIRD, the acceptance of some doctrines as protective doctrines against distortions. FOURTH, the legalization of these doctrines as parts of the canonic law. FIFTH, the acceptance of these doctrines as the foundation not only of the Church but also of the state, because the state has no other content than the content the Church gives it., so that he who is supposed to undermine this content not only undermines the Church but also the state."

Basically that's a casual loop diagram of kicking starting that process of creating a theonomy.

The crazy part is looking at it and going yes this is a good idea we should do this. How it works is not being perceived incorrectly, that it's bad and not desirable to do it that's where urban's crazy is.

Is he a goon?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
There is a rapidly emerging humanitarian crisis in the Bahamas: https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1169461904382791681?s=19

Reports from the ground in Abaco and Grand Bahama Island indicate 90-100 percent destruction of all structures across both Islands. The majority of those who survived have lost all their caches of food and water, the vast majority of heavy equipment that was on the island has been destroyed. The ports are completely inaccessible, and the airport is similarly completely inaccessible.

https://twitter.com/CBS21NEWS/status/1169395970057990145?s=19

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1169311728913588225?s=19

At present Abacos and Grand Bahamas islands are more or less uninhabitable, and it is going to take a tremendous amount of work to even begin to address the problems there. The more immediate crisis though is the inability to get any significant amount of supplies onto Grand Bahamas island- all that's available right now are a few helicopters and small seaplanes.

What really needs to happen right now is something on the level of the United States Marines rolling in to provide logistical support, as they are one of the few groups in the world that has the kind of landing craft necessary to get on and off such devastated beaches. Heavy equipment and food / water / medical supplies need to be brought in oh, and people need to be brought out. This is starting to happen with what's available, but what's available simply isn't remotely close to meeting the need.

I don't know what's going to happen- but I know that Trump/Miller et all would be more than happy to sit on their thumbs and watch the Bahamas descend into chaos as food/water supplies rapidly run out. I hope someone with some serious logistical capability steps up and pledges Aid to the Bahamas soon, because this really is a case where a state actor needs to step in. Private efforts pribably aren't going to be enough to do anything but buy time for a state actor to step in.

Edit: according to this video the runway has been cleared- but aircraft still cannot use the airport because the tower has been effectively destroyed by flooding, as has all the aviation fuel.

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1169472617155137538?s=19

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 08:32 on Sep 5, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're already dealing with a natural disaster and you want to send in the Marines?

I've heard serious propositions in the Auspol thread that the Australian military is effectively vestigial, and should be disbanded and replaced with a rapid-response disaster relief force. The main argument is whether to use the theme from Thunderbirds or Rescue Heroes.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're already dealing with a natural disaster and you want to send in the Marines?

I was going to make a joke about things in Grand Bahamas island being so bad that even the Uncle Sam's misguided children couldn't possibly make it any worse, but I've heard one too many stories from former warrant officers about the shenanigans enlisted Marines get up to...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The logistics that are used to set up an airfield or docks in 72 hours don't care if it's for war or peacetime. That said, having that capability in the first place specifically for wartime applications is unnerving. I mean, it's obviously not meant for defensive purposes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

We have RORO ships just sitting, waiting with everything a marine battalion needs, everything. Most out by small islands in the middle of the oceans.

Army trains JLOTS, joint logistics over the shore, response to natural disasters all the time, for cases when a port might go down due to weather or seismic events.

I'm wondering if he won't even send the hospital ships. Edit : I should look up where they are.

Edit Comfort is down by Trinidad, Mercy is on the west coast.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Sep 5, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yup. Perhaps the one thing the US can do militarily that no other nation even attempts anymore is rapidly establishing multiple beachheads and the infrastructure to move supplies into a theater for sustained periods of time.

Edit: This doesn't do much good if there isn't the political will to use the forces for disaster relief and if the govt decides that border walls are more important, of course.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2018/08/27/us-air-force-tests-base-in-a-box-in-poland-to-prep-for-future-wars/

quote:

Defense News traveled to Poland’s 31st Air Base near Krzesiny this July for an exclusive look at the first-ever trial of the U.S. Air Force’s new deployable air base system, or DABS — a series of humble-looking shipping containers filled with everything needed to stand up air operations, including temporary billeting and mess facilities, vehicles, airfield repair resources, and power and electrical equipment.

"When we deploy forward, we have very generous hosts, but in a crisis, they’re going to need their capabilities for their priorities, their mission sets, and we’re going to fight jointly and operate jointly,” said Brig. Gen. Roy Agustin, U.S. Air Forces Europe’s director of logistics, engineering and force protection.

“But rather than add a burden by adding our [requirements] — ‘Hey, can you provide us power, can you provide us lodging?’ — if we can bring that organic capability with us, we are both more capable and there’s more synergy as a result,” he told Defense News in a July 31 interview.

RandomPauI has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Sep 5, 2019

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ice Phisherman posted:

From the USPOL thread:

Dismissing straight-up fascist propaganda like this as a “grift” is just one of many fatal mistakes the centrists and parts of the left make when dealing with right-wing politics in America. It’s way more than just a grift - millions of Christians and Republicans in this country literally believe America’s decline is primarily poor people’s/AntiFa’s fault, and how the 2nd Amendment is the only thing that will save them. Just wait until one of these people shoot and kill a protestor at a Trump rally, and don’t be surprised when the crowd shows no remorse whatsoever.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Hey Prester, in your opinion is the dude I'm writing about above acting schizophrenic? After I made the post about him, I realized looking up and down his articles that he writes with a LOT of Special Capitalized Words that have Special meanings only in the context of his article, only he just doesn't capitalize them.

Just look at how many he uses in this one:
https://waitbutwhy.com/2019/09/stories.html

Unfortunately, his similarities to what we do here end there because he hosed up majorly by 1. Actually starting a cult, 2. About Elon Musk, an extremely abusive conman and 3. It blew up huge and wrecked hundreds of thousands financially and physically. Fitting for this thread. So, is Tim Urban your evil doppelganger?
I am exceedingly hesitant to give some sort of diagnosis, but it certainly does seem like his thinking is undergoing the same kind of gradual transformation that my own did as my symptoms appeared. Schizoaffective disorder is peculiar in that the schizophrenic portions of its sun comes appear gradually- often starting in late adolescence and progressing slowly. Schizoaffective disorder is notorious for causing homelessness because it's generally not until the early to mid thirties that a person with the disorder become so dysfunctional as to no longer be able to maintain employment.

So it's certainly possible, or he could just be smoking an rear end ton of weed 24/7. If I were him I'd definitely talk to a psychologist at least.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

a thread of lib psychobabble to write off all conservatives as cultists should be in d&d.

I want to address this point specifically, because this point (and everyone who barges in here making it) just tells me that you have not hothered to actually read my work before judging it. The Narrativist framework represents an attempt to describe a particular underlying pattern of behavior that is frequently seen in cults and other extremist groups. The behavior pattern itself is inherently apolitical; however by historical happenstance the behavior pattern is concentrated much more heavily in the right-wing at present in the United States, but again- that's because of historical happenstance and not anything inherent to right-wing ideology.

There are plenty of left-wing narrative his troops, however narrative isn't just isn't nearly as widespread on the left, it doesn't have it claws and the leadership of the democratic party. (Mind you, I am Critic Number One of the present Democratic Leadership in D&D and my rap sheet will attest to how frequently I have agitated the Centrist brain worms in the trunk thread.) This isn't to dismiss or under play the problems with the present leadership of the democratic party, rather to acknowledge that their source is completely separate from the dysfunction we see in the right wing.

Now to prove that the behavior pattern I am describing here is inherently a political and a universal feature of mankind regardless of culture or a location, please read this reddit comment. It is a very long and detailed takedown of a Japanese Zen Buddhist cult, written by a recovering Survivor of said cult, who extensively uses the Narrativist Framework to understand and describe the behaviors they experienced, and we're continuing to observe as ongoing for a phenomenon within this Sokka Genkai cult.

I have no connection with this individual and they have no idea that I stumbled upon what they wrote using my work, (thos isnt the mot example of someone doing this- I an us iij ng ot as an example because it is the most recent and best written.)

I have no knowledge of the existence of Soka genkai until I stumbled across this Reddit comment. This is an example of the behavior I am describing occurring in a social envirinment/religious context wholly divorced from anything I have personally experienced; yet the underlying Behavior pattern is recognizable and my conceprs/terms are instantly understood and used by another individual who is recovering from being involved with a recognized cult.

So I would ask my critics who dismiss my work with a handwave to please read that reddit comment. Because if I may be blunt; from my perspectivr you all seem to be approaching the topic of radicalization/extremism (and hand waving away my work) from a purely academic perspective- you don't have direct experience.

I do.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Sep 6, 2019

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Prester Jane posted:

I want to address this point specifically, because this point (and everyone who barges in here making it) just tells me that you have not hothered to actually read my work before judging it. The Narrativist framework represents an attempt to describe a particular underlying pattern of behavior that is frequently seen in cults and other extremist groups. The behavior pattern itself is inherently apolitical; however by historical happenstance the behavior pattern is concentrated much more heavily in the right-wing at present in the United States, but again- that's because of historical happenstance and not anything inherent to right-wing ideology.

There are plenty of left-wing narrative his troops, however narrative isn't just isn't nearly as widespread on the left, it doesn't have it claws and the leadership of the democratic party. (Mind you, I am Critic Number One of the present Democratic Leadership in D&D and my rap sheet will attest to how frequently I have agitated the Centrist brain worms in the trunk thread.) This isn't to dismiss or under play the problems with the present leadership of the democratic party, rather to acknowledge that their source is completely separate from the dysfunction we see in the right wing.

Now to prove that the behavior pattern I am describing here is inherently a political and a universal feature of mankind regardless of culture or a location, please read this reddit comment. It is a very long and detailed takedown of a Japanese Zen Buddhist cult, written by a recovering Survivor of said cult, who extensively uses the Narrativist Framework to understand and describe the behaviors they experienced, and we're continuing to observe as ongoing for a phenomenon within this Sokka Genkai cult.

I have no connection with this individual and they have no idea that I stumbled upon what they wrote using my work, (thos isnt the mot example of someone doing this- I an us iij ng ot as an example because it is the most recent and best written.)

I have no knowledge of the existence of Soka genkai until I stumbled across this Reddit comment. This is an example of the behavior I am describing occurring in a social envirinment/religious context wholly divorced from anything I have personally experienced; yet the underlying Behavior pattern is recognizable and my conceprs/terms are instantly understood and used by another individual who is recovering from being involved with a recognized cult.

So I would ask my critics who dismiss my work with a handwave to please read that reddit comment. Because if I may be blunt; from my perspectivr you all seem to be approaching the topic of radicalization/extremism (and hand waving away my work) from a purely academic perspective- you don't have direct experience.

I do.

Shengji is a reactionary bigot and should be demodded and permabanned, op

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Eh I don't like this trend of so many people being demodded+banned lately, it smells too much like a directed coup. Let's stop that, and mod additional people instead.

Even in this thread as soon as we started making GBS threads on a mod a couple pages ago, FYAD regulars were in here making GBS threads on them too with us, except by manipulatively never stating who they were, trying to blend in and escalate the argument. Pretty soon all the FYAD posters with red stars will be the only mods left on SA, which they'd see as a huge victory, and at that point their griefing will probably escalate until we lose the forums.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
The matter of earlier moderation itt was addressed in a QQCS thread and all parties came to a better understanding of each other/the situation. It's all water under the bridge, a bad call was made but progress was also made and no good is served by dragging things out.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Prester Jane posted:

The matter of earlier moderation itt was addressed in a QQCS thread and all parties came to a better understanding of each other/the situation. It's all water under the bridge, a bad call was made but progress was also made and no good is served by dragging things out.

I wouldn't feel good about it just yet. Nearly every single poster who engaged your thread was a FYAD regular who was loving with you and everyone.

Most small QCS threads are started by or quickly invaded by FYAD. Look at the usernames of posters from your thread, and compare to the recent usernames of this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804573

I think you'll find their behavior alarming once you really notice some things about it. It's really not all that different from other abusive groups or psychopathic behaviors you've written about. Most of their activity on SA is just obsessively making sure there's always some cross-forum bullying campaign currently going strong via that linked thread.

Besides those crusades across the forums they unconditionally have each others' backs while in QCS. Outsiders just get drowned out. They're griefers by hobby so they probably have alts/sockpuppets in the mix too, standard practice.

Notice what happened in any thread when someone pointed out that the crowd all seems to know each other and all seems to come from FYAD. One at a time different ones called them crazy for saying such a thing, while not admitting that they themselves are regulars. That is super manipulative gaslighting that can only go on as long as enough normal posters remain unaware of which usernames to look for. I was surprised you all even did spot one.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

So it's certainly possible, or he could just be smoking an rear end ton of weed 24/7. If I were him I'd definitely talk to a psychologist at least.

Everything there is something he'd have been taught to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrandorKP posted:

Everything there is something he'd have been taught to do.

I feel it's a big point that a lot of internet communities, whether outright cultish or otherwise, become vectors for actively teaching bad and dangerous ideas and habits that have very clear long-term negative effects on their users. Often under the language and ideas of therapy and support. Basically the mental health version of essential oils.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/LatinoUSA/status/1169986010748542978?s=19

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I have been following reports from the ground closely and it is my belief that Dorian killed thousands in the bahamas. Great Abacos and Grand Bahama islands are basically uninhabitable and it will take years to even begin to address the damage caused.

There is a rapidly emerging humanitarian crisis on those islands- the Bahamian government has control of the ports and food distribution centers but has totally abandoned everything else. Many of the hardest hit areas still have not received any aid a week later. The smell of purifying bodies is omnipresent on the islands, and people are being sickened by eating food/drinking water that has been contaminated by the rotting corpses.

The Bahamian government is trying to keep a tight lid on things and publicly are pretending that they are in control, but conditions on the ground are dire, worsening by the hour, and turning violent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbCihwOzBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MbOuIrzPhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEkDuQ7lBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AJQqt_fEnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ2Ffrxtok8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
nm

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Sep 10, 2019