Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Al! posted:

hot take: world war 1 was essentially a war fought over which empire was going to become the new roman empire. it essentially ended in a stalemate, which is why ww2 happened and the united states somehow got the title away from europe

Ottomans + Vatican were the heirs of the roman empire in 1914 so yeah. Ottman Sultan even had as one of his titles, Caesar ruler of rome or some poo poo. on the other side it's the roman church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Modest Mao posted:

Ottomans + Vatican were the heirs of the roman empire in 1914

lol no

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"heirs to the roman empire in the 20th century" is mostly a nonsensical statement but if you have to assign meaning to it, the Ottomans, Russians, and Vatican are the leading candidates

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The heir to the Roman Empire is Israel.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i am the last caesar, bow down binch

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The only way to beat the Romans was to use one weird trick like convincing them it was a good idea to send a column through the Teutoburg Forest

etalian has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Sep 5, 2019

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

etalian posted:

The only way to beat the Romans was to use one weird trick like convincing it was a good idea to send a column through the Teutoburg Forest

or starve the armed goths at Adrianople

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Scionix posted:

I was listening to the ancient history podcast i was recommended and yooooo the minoans sound tite as gently caress

then they got volcano + tsunami RKO'd, rip

most of what pop history tells us about them was made up or heavily embellished by a shellshocked ww1 vet to present a more 'civilized' ancient culture than the mainland Greeks

the art was 'restored' by a pair of art deco artists, which is why it looks so much like art deco

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Modest Mao posted:

Ottomans + Vatican were the heirs of the roman empire in 1914 so yeah. Ottman Sultan even had as one of his titles, Caesar ruler of rome or some poo poo. on the other side it's the roman church

"There is a Third Rome!" -A voice in Moscow, orthodoxly.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

I thought the Ottomans called it Rūm.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"There is a Third Rome!" -A voice in Moscow, orthodoxly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Uranium posted:

and the Romans called it Roma, it's a word like any other and varied by language

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Uranium posted:

Depending on the map it's variously the Sultanate of Rome/Rum/Rūm. All callbacks to that older empire who's glories everyone was trying to appropriate for themselves.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
edit: I retract my dumb comment

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 10:06 on Sep 5, 2019

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Pretty sure the Turks in Anatolia called themselves the Sultanate of Rum because they made it in the land of the Romans, not because they were claiming to be the new Roman empire.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What is the etymology behind the Roma people group vs Rome and all that

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

mastershakeman posted:

Roma people are the true descendants of the Roman empire and are roaming their lands to this day

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Rome-ing the lands

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Flavius Aetass posted:

Pretty sure the Turks in Anatolia called themselves the Sultanate of Rum because they made it in the land of the Romans, not because they were claiming to be the new Roman empire.

apparently Rum was what the turks called greek, so its more like Kingdom of the Greeks
although i guess they called them that because the byzantine greeks considered themselves roman anyhow

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dalael posted:

Roma people are the true descendants of the Roman empire and are roaming their lands to this day

Somehow I feel like this isn't how they got their name because everyone who hated them (everyone) would have erased that name

Unless that's the reason they got called gypsies?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

got roman hands

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

mastershakeman posted:

Somehow I feel like this isn't how they got their name because everyone who hated them (everyone) would have erased that name

Unless that's the reason they got called gypsies?

I was making a bad joke and i really have no idea how they got the name Roma. It would be purely accidental if what I said was right, and it would really be sad if true.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

apparently Rum was what the turks called greek, so its more like Kingdom of the Greeks
although i guess they called them that because the byzantine greeks considered themselves roman anyhow

yeah, the romans of the greek-speaking world called themselves romanoi long after the western empire fell

it was a cultural signifier more than anything to do with rome, the city

Dalael posted:

I was making a bad joke and i really have no idea how they got the name Roma. It would be purely accidental if what I said was right, and it would really be sad if true.

it's unrelated to rome. the term "gypsies" came about from europeans thinking the romani people were from egypt

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
How does everyone feel about the term "Dark Ages" and the associated connotations?

I have to say I'm in favor of it as it in the sense that Europe really did plunge into widespread anarchy and depopulation for centuries (i.e. it wasn't just a cultural blending/transition, but was violent and resulted in dramatically decreased quality of life for nearly everyone in Europe), but on the other hand it's a very regionally specific term to use for a broad period of time (e.g. the Muslims weren't sharing that experience).

twoday
May 4, 2005

Nice try Otto III, but I know that's it really TYOOL 1722

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

twoday posted:

Nice try Otto III, but I know that's it really TYOOL 1722

this is the weirdest conspiracy because it relies on the chinese etc. also being in on it somehow

twoday
May 4, 2005

There's also that one that it's even more ridiculous that was written by some Russian guy that conflates the Hunnic and Mongolian invasions, among other things, and suggests that all of recorded history prior to the French revolution took place over a span of approximately 500 years

I like the term Dark Ages, because it emphasizes how sunny it must have been during the Roman and Early Medieval warm periods which bookend it

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
global warming is good now according to history scientists

typical LIEberal logic

twoday
May 4, 2005

Just wait until the post-Brexit economy has a glorious resurgence once British wine exports return to 12th century levels

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Flavius Aetass posted:

How does everyone feel about the term "Dark Ages" and the associated connotations?

I have to say I'm in favor of it as it in the sense that Europe really did plunge into widespread anarchy and depopulation for centuries (i.e. it wasn't just a cultural blending/transition, but was violent and resulted in dramatically decreased quality of life for nearly everyone in Europe), but on the other hand it's a very regionally specific term to use for a broad period of time (e.g. the Muslims weren't sharing that experience).

There's nothing wrong with it. It perfectly describes the time period and even is a much better term for the same period compared to competing terms like "information age" or "21st century"

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mostly I wish we'd specify Dark Age of Europe or something, cuz plenty of the rest of the world was bangin' during that time period. Buncha whities chasing each other around the woods with axes hardly matters to China, etc.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I'm of two minds about the term. On the one hand it is reasonably descriptive of the early, chaotic centuries following the collapse of the Western Empire, but on the other it comes larded down with loads of moral opprobrium from the Renaissance authors that came up with it as a way to brag up how awesome they were versus the presumably barbaric mud princes of the preceding medieval period.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Speaking of podcasts and roman sucessor states, Lars Brownworth's 12 Byzantine Rulers isn't bad for learning about the Byzantine empire at an armchair historian level. I enjoyed his Norman Centuries podcast as well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
If it wasn't for the Normans you'd all be speaking German

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I actually just got done reading Cathederal, Forge, and Waterwheel about medieval technology which was an interesting read. What's the perspective on it now? I get the impression some of it was more groundbreaking when it came out, like tracing inventions to China and such

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

If it wasn't for the Normans you'd all be speaking German

Ya.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

i think it has something to do with their passage into europe via romania but idk for sure

Flavius Aetass posted:

its bad imo, coined by the same people going around talking about "the light of civilization" and "barbarian hordes"
the average european sees a generations long evolution to a new economic system but no cataclysm. people that believe in a dark age are mainly bemoaning the loss of a small cadre of plantation owners with the parasitic leisure to write poetry and treatises
late antiquity was a vibrant time ignored by academics until like the 1980s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uranium posted:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I thought about asking this in the Roman, Ancient History thread, but I'm only 18 pages into that one.

What exactly determines the transition between BCE and CE? I know that they're "Before Common Era" and "Common Era," respectfully (I guess?). But why?

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I thought about asking this in the Roman, Ancient History thread, but I'm only 18 pages into that one.

What exactly determines the transition between BCE and CE? I know that they're "Before Common Era" and "Common Era," respectfully (I guess?). But why?

It's just a rebranded version of BC\AD for the secular crowd, while also having a vaguely universalist claim to dates, sort of like a global metric system for history that just so happens to be exactly like the entrenched western european christian calendar

edit: AD stands for "Anno Domini: or basically "Year of Our Lord", and basically people wanted a way to say "it's the year 2019" without Christian overtones but also without having to change anything because last time the West did a calendar change was revolutionary France and messing with calendars is now associated with guillotines

Fuzzy McDoom has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

those names are modern academic parlance for ad and bc which was the cusp of what the council of nicea in the 300s ad decided was jesus' birth year.

the era system is just to strip the religion out