Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm not even sure how you can pigeonhole yourself into the GUI so hard. Unless you're programming in machine code, you imagine that every GUI is written with a backend that's organized by with functions that are comprehensible and readable to a human working with text. I'm not saying that it's directly trivial to plug that all into Powershell but the idea that they're not arranging these functions to be executed with comman-line semantics and testing them that way before adding radio boxes or whatever just furthers my concern about their developmental hygiene.

Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

That is a driver crashing..

This utility: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html Will show you which driver is causing the bluescreen. I put my guess on video driver.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Given that you have a HP Probook... and it is that particular driver causing the crash, Google search points here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Windows-10-Fall-Update/td-p/6430686 and here http://hpservicechennai.in/kunena/hp-laptop-problems/16-stop-code-error-ipeaklwf-sys-failed

Try uninstalling "HP Velocity" if it is installed.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
One of the guys near me:
1. Eats constantly
2. Chews with his mouth open
3. Eats while talking on the phone

Almost enough for me to look for another job.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

One of the guys near me:
1. Eats constantly

I had a coworker we referred to as Sniffles. I think he had a forever cold, dude would go through a box of Kleenex every 2-3 days. Constantly doing that big whole sinus HOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKK nose blowing thing then wetly clearing his throat for 5 minutes. It was disgusting and while not *the* reason I quit my job it was certainly a relief to be away from him.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Grrr... Salespeople who don't get the message...

SAP Concur calls 1-2 times a week. I have told them we are not interested, stop calling, hung up on them, etc... The receptionist has instructions to always send them to extension 13 (puts caller on a never-ending hold). This still hasn't stopped them. On more than one occasion they waited more than 10 minutes on extension 13.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bigass Moth posted:

One of the guys near me:
1. Eats constantly

I worked with a remote contractor that would eat noodles every time we were on a conference call together. He worked for a pretty secure customer, so the only access I'd have would be by screensharing a webex and I'd get control of his VM. He had a headset and would eat slurpy noodles the entire time, like he just had noodles there ready for when we worked together. It was disgusting he had terrible manners and was just awful to talk to. Occassionally I'd be in his office and work with him in person and sure enough, noodles.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

Given that you have a HP Probook... and it is that particular driver causing the crash, Google search points here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Windows-10-Fall-Update/td-p/6430686 and here http://hpservicechennai.in/kunena/hp-laptop-problems/16-stop-code-error-ipeaklwf-sys-failed

Try uninstalling "HP Velocity" if it is installed.

That worked, thanks!

Pissing me off:

Today SoO wanted me to call and wake up a night shift guy and ask him a question (that was not time sensitive in the least). I refused to do it and told him he could wait until the guy came in tonight and I'd stick around and ask him then.

Twenty minutes later my boss called me up and told me SoO told him I needed to work on my sense of urgency and that they don't want to hear no, they want to hear yes.

:rolleyes:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tactlessbastard posted:

That worked, thanks!

Pissing me off:

Today SoO wanted me to call and wake up a night shift guy and ask him a question (that was not time sensitive in the least). I refused to do it and told him he could wait until the guy came in tonight and I'd stick around and ask him then.

Twenty minutes later my boss called me up and told me SoO told him I needed to work on my sense of urgency and that they don't want to hear no, they want to hear yes.

I don't know what a SoO is. But if that is an executive, the best course of action is to not say no but just to say yes and then don't call.

"Well, looks like this person is fast asleep, I will ask them when they get in."

Your boss, while a complete jackass, is right. They do want to hear yes. So tell them yes!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I worked with a remote contractor that would eat noodles every time we were on a conference call together. He worked for a pretty secure customer, so the only access I'd have would be by screensharing a webex and I'd get control of his VM. He had a headset and would eat slurpy noodles the entire time, like he just had noodles there ready for when we worked together. It was disgusting he had terrible manners and was just awful to talk to. Occassionally I'd be in his office and work with him in person and sure enough, noodles.

No jury would have convicted you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

I don't know what a SoO is. But if that is an executive, the best course of action is to not say no but just to say yes and then don't call.

"Well, looks like this person is fast asleep, I will ask them when they get in."

Your boss, while a complete jackass, is right. They do want to hear yes. So tell them yes!

Son of Owner.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

SoO is the Son of our Owner. You're damned right he's an executive, lol

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

SoO is the Son of our Owner. You're damned right he's an executive, lol

Nepotism is a hell of a drug.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is pissing me off and idk where the hell to vent/ask for help

I have no idea where to ask this but it's an issue I have never run into before in my lifetime of cell phone use. I am on a sprint android and a friend is on a verizon iphone, occasionally when I send a text, this is what happens:

Me: "Hey what are you doing tonight? Wanna get some beers"
They Receive: "Hey woah did the night? Wanna got them boats"

It's not like the texts are getting truncated or lost, they are actually coming in completely malformed with what looks like some busted spell correction. I have NO idea what it's about and am totally baffled. This one person is the only person I am having this issue with and the same is mutual on their side.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You both need to factory restore your phones to eliminate the possibility of a software issue on either side.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Eikre posted:

I'm not even sure how you can pigeonhole yourself into the GUI so hard. Unless you're programming in machine code, you imagine that every GUI is written with a backend that's organized by with functions that are comprehensible and readable to a human working with text. I'm not saying that it's directly trivial to plug that all into Powershell but the idea that they're not arranging these functions to be executed with comman-line semantics and testing them that way before adding radio boxes or whatever just furthers my concern about their developmental hygiene.

Am I wrong?

I think a lot of their older GUIs aren't. Especially things like NPS (that someone already mentioned), which as far as I know is actually deprecated but they just don't have a replacement for it. But I think the things that are left over from Server 2003 don't have Powershell backends, since Powershell didn't exist at the time. Contrast that to Exchange 2007 which was SO much of a Powershell front end that it would give you the exact Powershell command it was running in every wizard.

Basically it's the same old Microsoft issue - they bend over backwards so hard to maintain backwards compatibility that at any given point in time they're gonna have 50% of their codebase left over from 20 years ago and those bits don't operate in the same way as the newer stuff. This is not a slam - one could argue (and I usually do) that Microsoft has such a strong enterprise presence precisely because they understand that massive companies don't want to change poo poo up every two years and can't afford to have things they invested $boats in 20 years ago stop working for minor reasons like "it's less secure than a plain text file of passwords" and "no one else uses this loving API anymore and did you know it's still got a function call to determine if you're running Windows NT 3.5 or 4.0". Contrast that to Apple which not only deprecates things whenever they drat well please but you're lucky if they even mention that they did it in the release notes.

Anyway I have no direct knowledge so this is all just guessing on the Internet, but I imagine that anything that still absolutely needs the GUI is something that existed in Server 2003 or before and has just been carried forward for 25 years.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

tactlessbastard posted:

That worked, thanks!

Pissing me off:

Love that sense of urgency poo poo they're shoveling at you, when they're clearly too cowardly to make the call themselves if it's so loving important.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

cr0y posted:

This is pissing me off and idk where the hell to vent/ask for help

I have no idea where to ask this but it's an issue I have never run into before in my lifetime of cell phone use. I am on a sprint android and a friend is on a verizon iphone, occasionally when I send a text, this is what happens:

Me: "Hey what are you doing tonight? Wanna get some beers"
They Receive: "Hey woah did the night? Wanna got them boats"

It's not like the texts are getting truncated or lost, they are actually coming in completely malformed with what looks like some busted spell correction. I have NO idea what it's about and am totally baffled. This one person is the only person I am having this issue with and the same is mutual on their side.

It's sending your original text before autocorrect, learn to type n00b

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So yesterday, our IT manager decided to take it upon himself to head to our disaster recovery site and "clean up." He did this by looking at equipment, and if he didn't know what it was or thought it was too old, removed it. He removed a Nokia fiber switch that handles the 10gig link between our data centers, pulled out the admittedly old network taps and almost removed a citrix netscaler, but stopped to ask a question about it. Apparently a coworker spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday cleaning that up.
Why did he do this? Who the gently caress knows. He wants the network taps replaced with a better system, but keeps ignoring the request to buy a new Gigamon shelf. Well, sign off on the quote that landed on your loving desk 3 loving years ago you gently caress. gently caress.
"Our wireless infrastructure isn't up to date", well no poo poo, it was put in by a lunatic over a weekend who didn't tell people what he did and when we ask for support hours to fix, we are told to wait to finish other projects, well that stop loving complaining about this while we can't fix it.
Oh, you guys want training? Well here is a free Citrix webinar about deploying to the CLOUD. Well gently caress me running, I don't deal with Citrix, or any of the cloud stuff, thanks for this free class that even if it was applicable, requires access to websites blocked by our webfilter anyway.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

CollegeCop posted:

Hey, Third Level Analysts -

You ARE allowed to interact directly with the user.

Do not Skype/Team chat/Email me saying "Adjusted something, have user try this".

I sent you the ticket 4 hours ago. Do you think I have been sitting at the users desk, holding her hand and comforting her until you get back with me?

See that section at the top of the ticket labeled Contact Info? The one with the phone number and email address of the user?

Call/Skype/Team chat/Email the user. Ask them to try whatever it is you want them to try.

Oh, and while you are looking at the ticket, how about you read the actual notes to see what troubleshooting I did? You know, instead of Skype/Team chat/Emailing me to ask "Did you try (this simple troubleshooting step as outlined in the Knowledge Doc (which is also linked to the ticket))?"

I've been on both sides of this, so I understand where you're coming from. It was always very frustrating to have to act as a middleman like that, especially when it required additional followup between both parties.

I'm not sure how it is where you work, at the company I work at my goals and the performance I'm judged on don't include user support at all. Any time I spend on user support is time I'm not going to be able to spend working on what actually impacts me and my position, and at the end of the day I don't particularly like dealing with users or having to switch focus.

Realistically both sides have their faults. L3 doesn't always document things the best or provide the best experience for lower tiers, L1/2 doesn't always do their due diligence or document their tickets correctly.

I don't know who's approach is right or wrong.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Anyway I have no direct knowledge so this is all just guessing on the Internet, but I imagine that anything that still absolutely needs the GUI is something that existed in Server 2003 or before and has just been carried forward for 25 years.

Apple deprecating whole swathes of its operating system causes some issues, but I really respect their dedication to only shipping modern code. Microsoft's dedication to keeping major components around forever has bonuses for longevity of a legacy OS, which is a mixed blessing at best.

What I really hate from MS is their fanatical dedication to not touching existing code ever. That's why in Windows 10 we still have the same loving dialogue boxes that can't be resized that have been around since Windows 2000. And why Powershell can't edit a local security policy directly.

I'm also annoyed that the executive who got the 'everything is Powershell" implementation in Exchange 2007 doesn't seem to be there any more. So it's a decade later and we still need the GUi for almost everything.

Fuckers need to bite the bullet and go full Unix-like.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

mllaneza posted:

Apple deprecating whole swathes of its operating system causes some issues, but I really respect their dedication to only shipping modern code. Microsoft's dedication to keeping major components around forever has bonuses for longevity of a legacy OS, which is a mixed blessing at best.

What I really hate from MS is their fanatical dedication to not touching existing code ever. That's why in Windows 10 we still have the same loving dialogue boxes that can't be resized that have been around since Windows 2000. And why Powershell can't edit a local security policy directly.

I'm also annoyed that the executive who got the 'everything is Powershell" implementation in Exchange 2007 doesn't seem to be there any more. So it's a decade later and we still need the GUi for almost everything.

Mac is shipping modern code? I'd get more up to date binaries in a Windows subsystem.

That's probably one of the more frustrating things I've had to deal with on the Mac, nothing Homebrew can't fix though.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

mllaneza posted:

look man, if you can't accept Haiku OS as the future you can :getout:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

One of the guys near me:
1. Eats constantly

I have a coworker that I call Smacky for this reason. He can be eating anything, from an orange to chips, and the sound is always the same wet slurping and smacking. I have no idea how anyone can eat dry food so wetly. I have to get up and leave every time I see him coming to his desk with food.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain posted:

So yesterday, our IT manager decided to take it upon himself to head to our disaster recovery site and "clean up." He did this by looking at equipment, and if he didn't know what it was or thought it was too old, removed it. He removed a Nokia fiber switch that handles the 10gig link between our data centers, pulled out the admittedly old network taps and almost removed a citrix netscaler, but stopped to ask a question about it. Apparently a coworker spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday cleaning that up.

If he still has a job then you work at a place that cannot be saved

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PBS posted:

Mac is shipping modern code? I'd get more up to date binaries in a Windows subsystem.

That's probably one of the more frustrating things I've had to deal with on the Mac, nothing Homebrew can't fix though.

IIRC there were a few major open source components of OS X that went from GPLv2 or GPLv2+ to GPLv3 after Apple started shipping them, and Apple doesn't want to abide by the new terms, so those ended up getting frozen at whatever version was the last before the license change. Some have been replaced with alternatives from the BSDs or in-house tools, others have just ended up getting the Red Hat treatment and freezing at one version forever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CitizenKain posted:

Why did he do this? Who the gently caress knows. He wants the network taps replaced with a better system, but keeps ignoring the request to buy a new Gigamon shelf. Well, sign off on the quote that landed on your loving desk 3 loving years ago you gently caress. gently caress.
"Our wireless infrastructure isn't up to date", well no poo poo, it was put in by a lunatic over a weekend who didn't tell people what he did and when we ask for support hours to fix, we are told to wait to finish other projects, well that stop loving complaining about this while we can't fix it.
Oh, you guys want training? Well here is a free Citrix webinar about deploying to the CLOUD. Well gently caress me running, I don't deal with Citrix, or any of the cloud stuff, thanks for this free class that even if it was applicable, requires access to websites blocked by our webfilter anyway.

At my $AWFUL_JOB we were doing a complete network migration one night, it was just a miserable weekend I've posted about numerous time, but during that hell weekend when we were trying to configure the core router, all of a sudden we loose connection and full internet access. We flip out thinking we broke something.

Turns out the owner/boss just wandered into the server closet, powered down and unracked the server because we weren't using matching rack screws. When we went to the server room and found him he flipped out on us and said that was why we would also just be employees and he'd be the boss because he was just frankly better than us.

It was nuts.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CitizenKain posted:

What :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CitizenKain posted:

I'd pass that little adventure along to whoever's directly above him in the foodchain and see if their heart stops dead on the spot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure AD can sync password hashes with an on-premises AD, which is nice. You can also license a tier of the product where users can use all the normal Office 365 web portals to change their own password, which is also nice. What's not nice is that if you just use the Office 365 admin portal to do a password reset, it generates an 8 character alphanumeric (no symbols) password regardless of what your AD password complexity policy is set to. Then when the user attempts to log in with this newly reset credential they get told it's time to reset the password as you'd expect, but the form will not accept the password they've just been given as the existing one, because AD never wrote it back since it didn't meet the complexity requirements.

Good poo poo! Well tested. Why can't the complexity settings sync with Azure AD Connect so the platform isn't generating hosed passwords when people need resets?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Azure AD can sync password hashes with an on-premises AD, which is nice. You can also license a tier of the product where users can use all the normal Office 365 web portals to change their own password, which is also nice. What's not nice is that if you just use the Office 365 admin portal to do a password reset, it generates an 8 character alphanumeric (no symbols) password regardless of what your AD password complexity policy is set to. Then when the user attempts to log in with this newly reset credential they get told it's time to reset the password as you'd expect, but the form will not accept the password they've just been given as the existing one, because AD never wrote it back since it didn't meet the complexity requirements.

Good poo poo! Well tested. Why can't the complexity settings sync with Azure AD Connect so the platform isn't generating hosed passwords when people need resets?

Only do it in the azure portal, not o365

password writeback details posted:

Supports password writeback when an admin resets them from the Azure portal: Whenever an admin resets a user’s password in the Azure portal, if that user is federated or password hash synchronized, the password is written back to on-premises. This functionality is currently not supported in the Office admin portal.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 5, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks, I wish they'd disable it in the Office portal if they can't link them up with each other. I'll have a look when I am back in the office tomorrow but is there a PowerShell way to do a bulk password reset and write the results back out to a CSV or similar?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks, I wish they'd disable it in the Office portal if they can't link them up with each other. I'll have a look when I am back in the office tomorrow but is there a PowerShell way to do a bulk password reset and write the results back out to a CSV or similar?

Yes, you can create a script that will randomize the passwords and write them out to CSV. I avoided that because I had an issue once with a script deadlocking, so I would set everything up front in the CSV and have the script loop thru and reset passwords from a known list.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm not aware of anything that will do it in one go, but you can iterate over a user list, generate a new password, use set-azureraduserpassword, then save the results to a csv on your own.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
if you want something done right the heck now, make sure you know what you want

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

kensei posted:

Yes, you can create a script that will randomize the passwords and write them out to CSV. I avoided that because I had an issue once with a script deadlocking, so I would set everything up front in the CSV and have the script loop thru and reset passwords from a known list.

Yeah I think I'll do that. Just generate some temporary credentials in Excel and then throw that into a one-liner. Cheers (both of you).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Carbonblack. It'll block Malwarebytes, it'll block solitaire (as in warn you of its looming presence in the system files forever, but not even do anything about it), but it won't block any actual malware as such, including Conficker, an 8 year old worm at the time. :downsrim:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I think I'll do that. Just generate some temporary credentials in Excel and then throw that into a one-liner. Cheers (both of you).

And hey, at least they finally fixed Azure to allow long passwords. Just imagine if you still had to tell your users "yeah you can't put a password longer than 16 characters into the Azure reset portal, but if you reset it on your local workstation you can use however long a password you want and then the hash will sync correctly to Azure and it will be able to authenticate you with the longer password, but yeah if you use the reset portal you're limited to 16 and you understood all of these distinctions right? Totally clear?"

It should not have taken until March/April of this year to fix that. Christ.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not hugely fussed about password lengths since I'm totally on board with Microsoft's longer term plan to completely eliminate them, and just put smart card emulation in place for legacy applications. But yeah it was poo poo that that limit was ever put there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks Ants posted:

If you can't easily find it online, I probably have the script I used somewhere. PM if you want it.