Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/1169111838660804608?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hollandia posted:

Meanwhile, what's happening in Perth?

Important stuff, folks.

Hooray for "quiet enjoyment" I suppose.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Breaking

Hong Kong 'to withdraw' China extradition bill as Beijing bows to protesters afters months of demonstrations

Via The Independent

Isn't this a big deal for China to back down to protesters? Or do they know it isn't enough now and are offering it as a token gesture to say "look, we tried to be reasonable" before sending in the troops?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHm8MeNzadQ

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Melbourne lost to Vienna for world's most liveable city because of terrorism and crime according to 7 lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Host of the ABC's Q&A program Tony Jones has issued a rare on-air correction, at the very end of the broadcast of the show, regarding comments which disparaged Sky News television ratings aired on the publicly-funded broadcaster.

During a live broadcast of the network's weekly flagship political program on August 26 Shadow Immigration Minister Kristina Keneally noted that platforms including "Sky News After Dark" were growing in Australia.

The Shadow Minister was interrupted by ABC host Tony Jones who interjected that the subscription television network was "growing to a very small audience, to be fair. You’re probably talking about 5,000 people watching at that time", followed by an invitation to "correct the record" by Sky News.

Sky News CEO Paul Whittaker took up the offer to correct the record and wrote to ABC management including recently installed Chair Ita Buttrose and news director Gaven Morris requesting a correction to the record to adhere to the ABC's charter which mandates factualness.

Mr Whittaker noted in the letter that Sky’s evening average viewership between 6pm and 10pm on Foxtel alone, 43,921, is "more than eight times higher than the number referenced on the Q&A program" which outrates ABC News in Foxtel homes by 350 per cent.

It also receives ratings on par with ABC News across regional Australia via its Sky News on WIN channel which is a commercial operation and receives no government funding to operate.

Sky News’ recent half-yearly results saw a 29% audience increase year on year to its evening programming. In primetime Sky News reaches 472,000 Australians per week on Foxtel and 374,000 per week in regional Australia on Sky News on WIN, to deliver an audience 12 times larger than the publicly funded broadcaster claimed.

The correction from the national broadcaster follows a recent study by independent media monitoring service Streem which showed 'newsworthy' print and online media articles, examining more than one million print and online news articles during 2019, that more political news originated from Sky News than any other television channel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Foxtel homes"

That would be a quick way to calibrate The People's Drones tbh

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-03/climate-change-breaking-the-law-extinction-rebellion/11475060

quote:

When 23-year-old Emma Dorge appears in court, she will be relying on a unique defence.

Charged with traffic offences for blocking Brisbane streets during a protest, she will argue she should be allowed to break the law because she is saving the planet.
"I'm pleading not guilty on the basis of the extraordinary emergency defence, which basically allows for people breaking the law in an extraordinary emergency," she told The Signal.
"We're in the midst of a crisis and that's the climate crisis, we believe we've essentially been forced to break the law to avert a far more catastrophic outcome."
The article says it might work

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

It won't.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Melbourne lost to Vienna for world's most liveable city because of terrorism and crime according to 7 lol

also because Vienna’s great

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Bernstrike posted:

also because Vienna’s great

It means nothing to me.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah nah that won't fly.

Also not sure why it's a "unique defence"

"No sir I was speeding because my pregnant wife was in labor in the back seat/my child was bleeding out/I was fleeing for fear of my life."

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 4, 2019

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Griffith raid:

Land title searches show an owner of the house is Cameron Gill, a former senior defence adviser to Coalition ministers who is understood to have worked for the Australian Signals Directorate.

Another owner is Australia's ambassador to Iraq, Dr Joanne Loundes, who is also a senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

Melbourne is such a crime ridden hellhole that it's only ranked the second best city on earth.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Peccadillo posted:

Griffith raid:

Land title searches show an owner of the house is Cameron Gill, a former senior defence adviser to Coalition ministers who is understood to have worked for the Australian Signals Directorate.

Another owner is Australia's ambassador to Iraq, Dr Joanne Loundes, who is also a senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 

Maybe we're seeing our whistleblower protection laws in action

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

It means nothing to me.

God dammit I'm never getting that piano music out of my head now.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

It means nothing to me.

:aaaaa:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
No one took up my offer?

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

OUR
COAL
OUR
RAIL
OUR
OOBS

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Eyespy posted:

OUR
COAL
OUR
RAIL
OUR
OOBS

All of this is forgetting, that OUR coal is being shipped ripped from the ground by a Foreign billionaire to enrich his own pockets, on OUR rail that he is making us pay for and maintain at OUR expense, and (if I remember rightly there was some report about this?), will only provide less than a hundred of OUR oobs.

Seriously, It is amazing to me that all the right wing/Queensland LNP fetishizing of Adani and his mine are skipping over the fact that they are basically bending over and loving themselves to enrich a foreign, brown skinned, non christian billionaire at the expense of the environment and at no real benefit to the economy or community.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

All of this is forgetting, that OUR coal is being shipped ripped from the ground by a Foreign billionaire to enrich his own pockets, on OUR rail that he is making us pay for and maintain at OUR expense, and (if I remember rightly there was some report about this?), will only provide less than a hundred of OUR oobs.

Seriously, It is amazing to me that all the right wing/Queensland LNP fetishizing of Adani and his mine are skipping over the fact that they are basically bending over and loving themselves to enrich a foreign, brown skinned, non christian billionaire at the expense of the environment and at no real benefit to the economy or community.

Its because the community thinks there is a benefit to the economy because the people who have made the real money spent a tiny fraction of that on media campaigns designed to lie to the community about the economic benefits. and apparently in this case its good to listen to the community. But not the other times like gay marriage, a federal icac or immigration detention.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Please think of are local overseas billionaires

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

By the time the idiot voters realised they've been tricked there will already be a new scam being sold to them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Atleast in the UK you have a gently caress load of media outlets contesting Tory bullshit but here, here on Hell Boomer Island, we got nothing.

BRB Channel 9 fund raiser

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Anidav posted:

Atleast in the UK you have a gently caress load of media outlets contesting Tory bullshit but here, here on Hell Boomer Island, we got nothing.

Please go repeat this in the UKMT and see what the reaction is. :allears:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cooper's Extra Stout is so loving good.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Isn't Adani running out of money as well? Or hasn't been profitable for years?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Buddy the UK media landscape is even worse than ours

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah the print media, landscape there has like elevenity billion papers.

We just get Courier Mail.

Where is the rest?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I wondered what FriendlyJordies was up to since he pivoted to like a Jordan Peterson self help guy a couple years ago and haha

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Anidav posted:

Nah the print media, landscape there has like elevenity billion papers.

We just get Courier Mail.

Where is the rest?

Would you rather have one Courier Mail, or eleventy billion Courier Mails? Because that's the true comparison.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Whitlam posted:

Would you rather have one Courier Mail, or eleventy billion Courier Mails? Because that's the true comparison.

Dont they have the guardian?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The place with boobies in the paper is better.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

NPR Journalizard posted:

Dont they have the guardian?

UK Guardian tends towards centrism, is my understanding.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

BrigadierSensible posted:

it's corruption, they are corrupt, they take money corruptly to corrupt the laws of the land and enforce the will of the corrupter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Peccadillo posted:

I wondered what FriendlyJordies was up to since he pivoted to like a Jordan Peterson self help guy a couple years ago and haha

That is a dire image

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2Ii_F8tws

A bit out of date but still funny.

Whitlam posted:

Yeah the two big differences are that most of the big papers are national and that non-Murdoch right-wing papers like the Telegraph or the Daily Mail exist.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I've heard bad things about UK Guardian, people say it's super transphobic

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Germain Greer does write columns in the Guardian from time to time yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

bandaid.friend posted:

I've heard bad things about UK Guardian, people say it's super transphobic

It's been dropping the ball a lot lately, true, but it's nowhere near the full on smear campaign the Daily Mail seems to be going on according to my twitter feeds.