Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

For what it's worth the two podcasts Dan Taberski has put out since Surviving Richard Simmons (Surviving Y2K and Running From Cops) are both pretty good. Missing Richard Simmons was definitely a little creepy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Consensus seemed to be that the host was being weirdly invasive into the life of a stranger who hadn’t done anything wrong and just decided to leave the public spotlight for his own reasons, and he doesn’t have to explain himself to the host.

I didn’t listen but sounds like the host thought he was going to be breaking a big story about Simmons, gradually realized that Simmons just wanted to be left alone, and the host released it anyway to get attention.

Ya that's what I was sort of remembering people saying here and in articles like the one you linked.

Lame last episode too where he tried to backpedal and be like "you give it your all for so long, it's ok to live just the way you'd like to blah blah blah" like he's some well-wisher that didn't just blast out everything about Simmons' life, true or not, for the last couple months.

Running from Cops was A+ tho, great rec from this thread so I can't hate him but Missing Richard Simmons was just weird. Maybe I'll check out the Y2K one now.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

terrorist ambulance posted:

The Digs last episode on hourly work is really loving good

Thanks! I like listening to one really good episode of a podcast I don’t listen too!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Anybody following ‘doody calls’?
I only listened to one ep. the one with Eli yudin from what a time pod. It’s sounds pretty funny, but maybe it gets old fast? It’s people telling about the time they shat themselves:D or at least almost.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mrfart posted:

Anybody following ‘doody calls’?
I only listened to one ep. the one with Eli yudin from what a time pod. It’s sounds pretty funny, but maybe it gets old fast? It’s people telling about the time they shat themselves:D or at least almost.

it's entirely hinged on how funny you find the core idea. Do you wanna hear funny people tell a deeply embarrassing story and riff off each other? I do, and I love it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

sexpig by night posted:

it's entirely hinged on how funny you find the core idea. Do you wanna hear funny people tell a deeply embarrassing story and riff off each other? I do, and I love it.

I love the idea.
'Problem' is I don't know any of the guests, and it would be easier if there was a bit of a bio in the description about them.

Or an episode rating list. Like on podchaser, but nobody has rated any of them yet.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 23, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The Xbox Underground episode of Darknet Diaries is loving amazing. Along with that I've been listening to Confronting OJ and I've highly enjoyed that podcast as well. I was 13 when the trial happened and I don't really remember much about it other than my Grandmother being super obsessed with it, watching it daily, and when she came and stayed with us for 2 weeks refused to take my sister and I anywhere during the day when the trail was on.

I'm sure it's also been recommended here but just want to reiterate how awesome the last 7 episodes of Behind the Bastards has been.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Any good podcasts that deep dive into conspiracy theories that aren't true believers or "hurr dee hurr they so dumb"? I'm basically looking for 3+ people discussing modern (and not so modern) conspiracy theories like academics would discuss Greek myths.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sure you've heard this already but Last Podcast On The Left has a ton of good conspiracy episodes mixed in with their true crime/history ones.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Oh No, Ross and Carrie! is a podcast where the hosts actually attend fringe religion and conspiracy events and report back. They're nominally skeptics but they are very gentle about it, more milking the absurdity by reporting what they saw relatively straightforwardly instead of mocking it.

But it's not an academic deep dive so much as an actual deep dive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Splicer posted:

Any good podcasts that deep dive into conspiracy theories that aren't true believers or "hurr dee hurr they so dumb"? I'm basically looking for 3+ people discussing modern (and not so modern) conspiracy theories like academics would discuss Greek myths.

If there are then I haven't found them. Astonishing Legends is as close as I've seen, but they're always err on the side of blind belief, often despite discussing evidence to the contrary. Listening to both them and Skeptoid I feel like I get a well-rounded view of any subject without having to listen to the crazies, but both can be obnoxious.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Seconding that you’re probably going to have to listen to a bunch of different podcasts on the same subject.

Couple more podcasts I’ll throw into the ring:

Mysterious Universe: generally leans credulous but they actually read poo poo and spend more time than average on individual subjects. Content varies pretty widely however and most of their past content is behind a paywall.

Stuff they don’t want you to know: if you don’t know the subject and don’t feel like reading a couple of articles and Wikipedia pages this might save you some time.

I guess I should’ve asked for clarification re what kind of conspiracy theories cos to me my mind usually goes to aliens and jfk and not, say, a ruling class of billionaire pedophiles

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Aaron Gulyas' The Saucer Life is exactly that, but it's just one person (a history professor) and it's just about UFO culture.

Beyond that, you're getting varying levels of true believers, with Astonishing Legends being the gold standard for topic based podcasts and Mysterious Universe the gold standard for news, discussions, and interviews.

In the vein of Last Podcast on the Left, the Cryptonaut podcast covers cryptids, in the same panel style, with about the same level of belief from the hosts.

Not Alone has a true believer and a skeptic going over individual cases of the strange.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The only thing I dislike about Astonishing Legends is the padding and repetition. It often feels like they have a half an hour of material and stretch it out to 2 hours.

I’m looking at you, 14 hour multi-part series on the Patterson/Gimlin film.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Not Alone has a true believer and a skeptic going over individual cases of the strange.

Is this the one where the skeptic sounds like an intelligent guy who's done his homework and the believer sounds like a stoner who hasn't even read the things he supposedly believes in?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Seconding Stuff They Don't Want You To Know, although I would classify it as more of a Medium Dive.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Imagined posted:

Is this the one where the skeptic sounds like an intelligent guy who's done his homework and the believer sounds like a stoner who hasn't even read the things he supposedly believes in?

it would be pretty funny if joe rogan and, like, sarah koenig tried to do a podcast together

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Imagined posted:

That isn't how I would describe it at all, I suspect you're thinking of a different podcast.

Their division of labor is that Sam, the true believer, does most of the research and presents a narrative of whatever topic they're tackling while Jason, the skeptic, asks questions and provides comments. At the end, they'll each discuss what they think is actually happening. They'll occasionally reverse this for a "Jason Special".

Sam's research, regardless of what one may think of his conclusions or credulity, is pretty thorough and he does a good job of presenting the topic. Aside from minor points of fact, I don't know that I remember an episode where he just straight up got something totally wrong, though I will admit that they do tackle topics that I have no previous knowledge about (golem, jinn, some other folklore stuff).

However, their series on UFOs and the Cold War and their Unidentified Saucers of America series are both spot on from what I know from other sources and about as good a UFOs 101 course as I know exists.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Azathoth posted:

Cryptonaut podcast covers cryptids, in the same panel style, with about the same level of belief from the hosts.

Man, I'm trying. But this feels so much like The Dollop but with less obnoxious yet less funny hosts. Maybe they'll settle into it over time, or maybe I will, but I was hoping for something less goofy because I love the subject matter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WEH posted:

I guess I should’ve asked for clarification re what kind of conspiracy theories cos to me my mind usually goes to aliens and jfk and not, say, a ruling class of billionaire pedophiles
Aliens and JFK but I'm flexible. Oh No, Ross and Carrie! Isn't what I was looking for but I am enjoying it. Like, I'd love to hear someone explain flat earth theory like you'd hear someone describing the Norse cosmology.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Splicer posted:

Check out "MonsterTalk". They're primarily covering cryptids but there's a few eps that deal with conspiracy theories and UFO/Alien coverups. I'd recommend checking out the monster episodes anyeay since they're chock full of anthropological and historical information instead of just rehashing "But COULD it be real? How would it work if it did?" over and over.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Check out "MonsterTalk". They're primarily covering cryptids but there's a few eps that deal with conspiracy theories and UFO/Alien coverups. I'd recommend checking out the monster episodes anyeay since they're chock full of anthropological and historical information instead of just rehashing "But COULD it be real? How would it work if it did?" over and over.
I bounced off their earlier episodes, is there a good one to get a better idea of their later stuff from?

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Splicer posted:

I bounced off their earlier episodes, is there a good one to get a better idea of their later stuff from?

It's the same interview show it was a decade ago. Pick a subject you like or a guest you're familiar with and see if it's for you.

Otherwise I guess "Stuff They Don't Want You To Know" might be something to check out. It's a not a real academic deep dive but it's plenty informative.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Splicer posted:

Aliens and JFK but I'm flexible. Oh No, Ross and Carrie! Isn't what I was looking for but I am enjoying it. Like, I'd love to hear someone explain flat earth theory like you'd hear someone describing the Norse cosmology.

I got to meet Ross and Carrie and can confirm they are super nice and that Ross looks like David Duchovny, but in a good way.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

WEH posted:

Anyone looking for the latter check out Trueanon

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Judge John Hodgman is a mainstay when commuting with family, and while it does sometimes have strong episodes (anything with Alton Brown, or when the case mutates to reveal one of the litigants is a horrible person), it’s generally a mid-tier show.

They’ve had recent episodes that seem like Hodgman is doing a parody of a middle aged insecure liberal trying to retain a younger audience. When the subject was a husband who BBQs too much, they put a trigger warning on the episode because it regards meat?! I can understand trigger warnings for American Life episodes about horrible crimes, but this was absurd.

Also had a weird moment when he referenced a quote by Anthony Bourdain about Tin Tin, then brought the show to a halt to apologize for the racism in Tin Tin, then apologized for mentioning Anthony Bourdain so soon. When he and his bailiff went on a rant to support this new idea of “tipping” for 15 drat minutes I was thinking “you’d pick up a probation for that on the forums.”

Anyway, I’ve pushed to start listening to then Adventure Zone instead and it’s much better.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 8, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hyrax Attack! posted:

seem like Hodgman is doing a parody of a middle aged insecure liberal trying to retain a younger audience.

This is also my impression of what the Adventure Zone has become, is that not true?

I loved the first story arc but it seemed like they ended up going for a Night Vale fanservicy thing. I was more into the kooky comedy side of it I guess.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I got to meet Ross and Carrie and can confirm they are super nice and that Ross looks like David Duchovny, but in a good way.
Thanks for this, visualising them as an off-brand Mulder and Scully investigating discount X-Files episodes will greatly enhance my listening enjoyment.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

evilpicard posted:

He asked for conspiracy orientated pods. The pedo cabal that rules us is real.

There was a conspiracy/weird story podcast that ended like 2 years ago but had run for about 6 years that was 2 guys and a lady and it was based out of Portland or seattle. I can not for the life of me remember the name of it.

Edit: Thinking Sideways was the pod and it was decent. Doesn't do deep dives, but it was entertaining.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snowy posted:

This is also my impression of what the Adventure Zone has become, is that not true?

I loved the first story arc but it seemed like they ended up going for a Night Vale fanservicy thing. I was more into the kooky comedy side of it I guess.

Nah it's very genuine, the first campaign they did blew up with Tumblr and they got a lot of flak that a show by three cishet white brothers and their elderly father didn't have enough queer PoC representation, so they did the Doug thing and retroactively made one of their characters blue to act as minority proxy and then every campaign since then has every other character they play being a queer Latina monster hunters or a trans native American werewolf or whatever. Also they stopped even trying to be funny.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Two shows I enjoy that I haven't seen posted, apologies if they were:

Your Inner Child Is An Idiot: Two guys review stuff from their childhood (mostly movies) and see if it holds up.

The Horror of Dolores Roach: short drama about a woman out of prison who can't shake her old tendencies.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
is there a good crazy conspiracy theory show/podcast? I dunno if anyone else has any loving clue who this is, but there's a a station that runs something called "ground zero" by clyde lewis in Austin, and it's loving hilarious.

To give you an idea, the last thing I heard him discussing was the Manhattan Project was actually a collaboration between scientists and magicians, and the purpose of the nuclear bomb was to summon a Djinni who would go on to bless us with the technological advances of the 50's and 60's

I'm aware of "last podcast on the left" but the hosts are, uh, annoying. I'm looking for like, hillary clinton is a time traveling lizard versus jeffrey epstein hosed kids

Scionix fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 23, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Conspiracy theory podcasts were being discussed a few pages ago in this thread. You might be able to find some recommendations if you read back a bit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Art Bell's old episodes of Coast to Coast AM are being released as podcasts now. Might have to pay though.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/art-bell/page/1

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 23, 2019

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The only one I can think of other than LPotL that covers that stuff is Blurry Photos, but if you find the LPotL hosts annoying, I'm not sure you're gonna like Blurry Photos. It's worth a try, and I should probably point out that the older episodes have more comedy in them, complete with opening skits, but the most recent ones play it very straight. I happen to really like their episode on Dulce Base, which is pretty woo woo, if you want an old episode recommendation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This might overlap a bit with the conspiracy theory conversation, but can anyone recommend good spooky podcasts for the upcoming spooky Halloween season? Stuff about ghosts or aliens, or even true crime stuff as long as it's more spooky than sad. Like, spooky disappearances, not sad child murders.

Just no fiction, I don't approve of it, and no Last Podcast on the Left.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

evilpicard posted:

I tried but Brace is loving intolerable

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Astonishing Legends and Pleasing Terrors are exactly what you want. Also The Strange and Unusual Podcast and Unexplained.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Snap Judgements Presents: Spooked.

True scary stories told by the people who experienced them on a wide range of topics, from ghosts to kidnappings. It only airs around Halloween time so they can be selective about which stories make the cut, and the production values are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Azathoth posted:

Astonishing Legends and Pleasing Terrors are exactly what you want. Also The Strange and Unusual Podcast and Unexplained.

Human Tornada posted:

Snap Judgements Presents: Spooked.

True scary stories told by the people who experienced them on a wide range of topics, from ghosts to kidnappings. It only airs around Halloween time so they can be selective about which stories make the cut, and the production values are really good.

I will try all of these, thanks.

Goddamn, Astonishing Legends did a fifteen hour long series on the Patterson Gimli film. I am 100% down for that