Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

frickin festival season in Ehime/Kawaga in October!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

peanut posted:

oh poo poo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i definitely should've asked here before i booked my tickets back in january, or i would've planned an october trip instead.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Thanks for the link, though I think that's a bit outside our needs/budget. I'd prefer <$2K/mo, and there seems to be plenty of options according to the little research I've done already. Gaijinpot seems to be a decent resource here, unless I'm missing something. https://apartments.gaijinpot.com/en/rent/listing

Looking at actual apartment listings is going to be a bit of a misnomer because most places are 1- to 2-year leases, and that itself is going to require visas and proof of residence.

The short-term places are going to be more for expats on ridiculous contracts, for your use case AirBnb in the suburbs is likely better.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

peanut posted:

After I leave. I recall theres one or two during my trip, I need to dig them up again. Shrine sumo or something.

EDIT: In Osaka during my vacation theres a 'ramen girls' festival. The pictures of the ramen look good and its 900yen a bowl. Maybe I should starve myself the day before and then go on a rampage and taste all the kinds I can. I think I've only had like 2 or 3 kinds since thats all thats offered around here.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 3, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's an all-Ehime festival showcase at Matsuyama castle park this Sunday, September 8th, from 12-5pm.
https://www.mcvb.jp/souneri/intro/midokoro.html

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Friendly ask if anyone can sort me some Tatsumi gin or absinthe. Will cover all costs, shipping and time spent.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Laws against shipping alcohol to some countries without a business license. Especially the US. But I may know a guy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mikeycp posted:

i definitely should've asked here before i booked my tickets back in january, or i would've planned an october trip instead.

January is good in Japan though. Especially as an alcoholic, that's the season for touring sake breweries and chugging the fresh product.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

peanut posted:

Laws against shipping alcohol to some countries without a business license. Especially the US. But I may know a guy.

Fair enough, I have a few places I could ship to that aren’t the US though. I also may come through before the end of the year for a pickup and it’s so rare it’d be worth my paying now and picking up later

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 4, 2019

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Anyone filled out a goshuincho before? https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2017/11/a-beginners-guide-to-goshuincho-how-to-get-one-and-how-to-use-it/

Just learned about them and I was planning to hit a lot of shrines and temples anyway so now I'm super excited because ~collecting thing~

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sellouts: Let me ask a guy I know who runs a liquor shop and does a little bit of exporting, mostly sending sake to Hong Kong.

Fuzzy: One of my friends is obsessed with goshuin. You can buy those traditional style books at some temples or altar supply shops, or use a bigass sketchbook.

Everybody: 2019 dates
Niihama Taiko Festival Oct 16-18
https://ohmatsuri.com/en/articles/ehime-niihama-taiko

Saijo, Ehime (danjiri) Matsuri, Oct. 13-16
http://www.saijomatsuri.jp/english/

Saijo, Hiroshima Sake Matsuri Oct 12-13
https://sakematsuri.com/

Himeji Nada no Kenka Matsuri Oct 14-15?
https://www.nadamatsuri.jp/index.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sellouts posted:

Fair enough, I have a few places I could ship to that aren’t the US though. I also may come through before the end of the year for a pickup and it’s so rare it’d be worth my paying now and picking up later

https://www.hasegawasaketen.com/eshop/products/list?name=%E8%BE%B0%E5%B7%B3

PM me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Grand Fromage posted:

January is good in Japan though. Especially as an alcoholic, that's the season for touring sake breweries and chugging the fresh product.

no. i booked the tickets in january. for this november.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mikeycp posted:

no. i booked the tickets in january. for this november.

well then you hosed up november is the month where everyone in japan is issued baseball bats to go out and beat up tourists

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

well then you hosed up november is the month where everyone in japan is issued baseball bats to go out and beat up tourists

sounds pretty good tbh. i love a good beating.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fuzzy_logic posted:

Anyone filled out a goshuincho before? https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2017/11/a-beginners-guide-to-goshuincho-how-to-get-one-and-how-to-use-it/

Just learned about them and I was planning to hit a lot of shrines and temples anyway so now I'm super excited because ~collecting thing~

Most bigger shrines you can also buy the books too, but otherwise you’re either looking for a booth or asking a question to staff about the goshuin and getting led to the spot where they’re done.

Most are only a few hundred yen at most, but the cool part is seeing somebody do the calligraphy. Sometimes you can’t see, but it’s awesome if you can.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

fuzzy_logic posted:

I completely filled out a book during my last trip. It's fun, and gets you to areas you might not have otherwise gone. Do keep in mind if you're traveling with people not interested in it, that it might get old, fast. I felt bad dragging the two people I was with around, so I saved the out of the way temples they didn't want to see for after they left.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not gonna lie, kinda wanna fill out a goshuuincho too. Would give me a good excuse to stop by that bicycle shrine on Innoshima too.

peanut posted:

Niihama Taiko Festival Oct 16-18
https://ohmatsuri.com/en/articles/ehime-niihama-taiko

Saijo, Ehime (danjiri) Matsuri, Oct. 13-16
http://www.saijomatsuri.jp/english/

Saijo, Hiroshima Sake Matsuri Oct 12-13
https://sakematsuri.com/

Himeji Nada no Kenka Matsuri Oct 14-15?
https://www.nadamatsuri.jp/index.html

:slick: I’m gonna hafta hit up that sake festival, dang. Lots of good stuff around this time it seems!!!!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
In one month, I’ll be in Tokyo.

Going to DisneySea on the Tuesday or Wednesday of my trip. Hoping it’s not too crowded on a weekday.

Can you reserve dining at a park restaurant from the US? If you can, anywhere in particular you all would recommend?

Also, now that it’s a lot closer to the trip, I’ll be updating my itinerary. I want to keep it loose, just one or two major things a day.

Anything specific to Tokyo you all would recommend doing/seeing between October 6-12?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

There's an all-Ehime festival showcase at Matsuyama castle park this Sunday, September 8th, from 12-5pm.
https://www.mcvb.jp/souneri/intro/midokoro.html

Is this an annual event? I've still got your awesome post saved about a summer shikoku plan but next year's Fuji Rock is end of August (instead of end of July - thanks, Olympics) so I'm trying to see what annual events are taking place between mid-Aug to mid-Sep to take advantage.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

fuzzy_logic posted:

It's cool, though maybe cook up a way of tracking which temple you got each goshuin at. I have a goshuincho from my trip earlier in the year and other than Hokkaido Jingu (because the calligraphy is pretty clear and I know the kanji) and Mt Atago (which I remember because it has a boar on it) I have no idea which goshuin came from which shrines.

You can usually get the goshuin from the same place they're selling the charms and what not at smaller shrines and temples, larger shrines and temples will often have a separate desk/area. Some Buddhist temples will not have goshuin but basically any shrine that isn't super tiny will.

If you try to fill a goshuincho you wil probably overdo the temple thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

It's cool, though maybe cook up a way of tracking which temple you got each goshuin at.

Best idea I can come up with off the top of my head would be numbering the pages (very small of course) and keeping that detail in a separate list. Or learn how to read the kanji, including for dates, since they always date them as well.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

take a picture of the page in front of the sign telling you the name of the temple

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mikeycp posted:

take a picture of the page in front of the sign telling you the name of the temple

Do it with the goshuin stamp, IMO, or you run the risk of not being able to read the kanji.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

If they actually did this, but with nerf bats, it would be a hilarious tradition.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could use some advice for an upcoming trip in october/november. I've been to Japan several times but haven't spent a lot of time in Kyushu yet. So this time, after landing in Tokyo I'm going to fly out to Kyushu and tour around.

I always try to visit at least one onsen town and Kurokawa Onsen seemed like it'd be really nice. My current plan is to travel around Kyushu, eventually end up in Kumamoto for 2 days, then travel to Kurokawa from there as it's not too far by bus. My problem is where to go after, like many onsen towns t's pretty far out of the way and while I'd like to go to Nagasaki after, traveling for 5 hours doesn't seem like the best way to spend my time.

Looking for any suggestions of places to stay and visit after Kurokawa Onsen for a day or two, or even other onsen towns. Nothing's set in stone yet except for my arrival and departure from Tokyo so any suggestion is welcome.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey team, I found out today that I actually have enough spare vacation to add 4 extra days onto the front end of my trip. It's great news, but I'm not sure what to do with them.

My itinerary is currently the following:

Dec 12 | ORD -> NRT
Dec 13-15 (3 Nights) | Tokyo
Dec 16-17 (2 Nights) | Matsumoto
Dec 18-20 (3 Nights) | Kiso Valley
Dec 21-23 (3 Nights) | Takayama (+ overnight at onsen)
Dec 24-25 (2 Nights) | Ainokura
Dec 26-27 (2 Nights) | Kanazawa
Dec 28 (1 Night) | Eihei-ji
Dec 29-Jan 3 (6 Nights) | Kyoto (+ surrounding area)
Jan 4-6 (3 Nights) | Tokyo
Jan 7 | NRT -> ORD

The front end will move forward to Dec 8 (arriving Dec 9). Ideally, I'd like to add days to Matsumoto/Takayama and especially Kanazawa, but if I do I'll have to rebook literally everything on different days which sounds like a pain in the rear end (and I already did it once with some of them when my plans moved up a day). The Eihei-ji date is set, so I can't stay longer in Kanazawa than I am. Maybe I'll just spend more time in Tokyo and add a day to Matsumoto and/or Kyoto since that's easier. Any good day trip suggestions from Tokyo, other than Nikko? (I went there last time.) Or from Matsumoto?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Dad and I are seriously considering another trip for late next year, possibly centered around Shikoku and including biking Shimanami. What's there to do in western Japan (southern tip of Honshu/Shikoku/Kyushu)? Places I know of are Hiroshima, Onomichi, Ehime, and Fukuoka, but I'm not sure exactly what the itinerary would look like. Any suggestions?

Nagasaki is really cool and has a big festival from 7-9 October.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Is this an annual event? I've still got your awesome post saved about a summer shikoku plan but next year's Fuji Rock is end of August (instead of end of July - thanks, Olympics) so I'm trying to see what annual events are taking place between mid-Aug to mid-Sep to take advantage.

Yes, the festival showcase in Matsuyama is a newish annual event. The real autumn festival (mikoshi) is usually the 2nd weekend in October.

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 6, 2019

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stash bags for six days in Shinjuku? After a week in Tokyo we’re are heading to Kyoto and Hiroshima before returning, and I’d rather not schlep whatever souvenirs we buy on the Shinkansen. I looked into a locker at the station, but those are three days max. We are staying at Keio Plaza the first week then the Hilton when we get back, so something on the west side of the station is preferable.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

captkirk posted:

It's cool, though maybe cook up a way of tracking which temple you got each goshuin at. I have a goshuincho from my trip earlier in the year and other than Hokkaido Jingu (because the calligraphy is pretty clear and I know the kanji) and Mt Atago (which I remember because it has a boar on it) I have no idea which goshuin came from which shrines.

You can usually get the goshuin from the same place they're selling the charms and what not at smaller shrines and temples, larger shrines and temples will often have a separate desk/area. Some Buddhist temples will not have goshuin but basically any shrine that isn't super tiny will.

If you try to fill a goshuincho you wil probably overdo the temple thing.

The notes are a good idea, thanks all for the suggestions :peanut: also looks like a few places I'm going have complexes of shrines and then one central large temple that does all of the stamps, so I'll have to figure out how to navigate that. Luckily the very first place I'm staying is Asakusa so I can easily pick up a book there!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Slow Graffiti posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stash bags for six days in Shinjuku? After a week in Tokyo we’re are heading to Kyoto and Hiroshima before returning, and I’d rather not schlep whatever souvenirs we buy on the Shinkansen. I looked into a locker at the station, but those are three days max. We are staying at Keio Plaza the first week then the Hilton when we get back, so something on the west side of the station is preferable.

Did you ask the Hilton?
Never tried it myself but there's also this, 10-day max for most locations per the FAQ: https://cloak.ecbo.io/en

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Slow Graffiti posted:

Yamato Transport’s luggage shipping service let’s you state an arrival date for your luggage up to 7 days after drop-off if I remember right, and there’s a counter in Shinjuku station (although a lot of hotels do it too, so Keio Plaza might be able to do the drop-off service). So you could in theory drop your luggage off and request that it arrive for you at the Hilton hotel on the day you’ll be checking in.

http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/scene02.html

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Thank you for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of going over to the Hilton and seeing if they would hold a bag for us. I've got gold status with them thanks to my credit card, so hopefully that would work. It would certainly be the easiest option. Luckily it's right near Keio so I can walk over and check with them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
This may not necessarily be the thread for it, but if I wanted to bring my own straighteners and hair dryer from the UK to Japan on my trip, what type of converter/transformer/whatever would I need to buy to get the plugs to work? I assume the same device could be used for my phone charger, too.

I know of the really cheap adapters on Amazon but I don’t think they change the voltage, so devices would either be underpowered or might just break altogether.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Your phone charger probably only needs a simple plug adapter, they're mostly universal switching power supplies and take any standard mains voltage across the world. Or you can just buy a new charger wallwart when you arrive.

Things with heating elements are different and generally need both voltage and frequency matched, you would need a full transformer for that. Japan is 120 volt mains (UK is 230 volt), and half the country runs at 50 Hz (like Europe) and the other half runs at 60 Hz (like USA), so depending on where you are staying your transformer would also need to convert the frequency.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That’s... complicated. I assumed the whole country would be standardised! Our main bases are in Tokyo, Osaka and one night in Iya Valley.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

well tokyo is 60 and osaka is 50, so

luckily you can pretty easily buy a transformer at a bic or yodobashi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My friend's UK hair dryer was stupid underpowered here. England is a primitive, beastly country.