Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Adblock is a the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Every time I try to support a website by turning off uBO, I get those exact same webpage redirecting ads. Every time.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

PBS posted:

Usually bad ads or something she clicked on.

Here's a deep dive for the curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQls-Xggsc

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Nalin posted:

Every time I try to support a website by turning off uBO, I get those exact same webpage redirecting ads. Every time.

You know what they say: "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rafikki posted:

What is the entry point for these scam popups? Is it a bad ad or actual malware on a machine? Windows Defender isn't showing any problems and windows updates are actually up to date. According to my mom, she had just done a yahoo search for weather and clicked on some of the results. Looking around in the browser history doesn't show anything objectionable.

There's your problem. I have a doctor (who of course has local admin on all his PCs because *reasons*) that I constantly have to clean up after because he decides he wants to install Firefox, goes to Yahoo, types in Firefox, and clicks on the first result that comes up. Inevitably the real link is the fifth or sixth one because Yahoo is horrible.

Yahoo is pretty much only used by the exact kind of computer-illiterate people these scams target.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

wolrah posted:

There's your problem. I have a doctor (who of course has local admin on all his PCs because *reasons*) that I constantly have to clean up after because he decides he wants to install Firefox, goes to Yahoo, types in Firefox, and clicks on the first result that comes up. Inevitably the real link is the fifth or sixth one because Yahoo is horrible.

Yahoo is pretty much only used by the exact kind of computer-illiterate people these scams target.

Oh I know. I thought I had adblocker installed on her computer but who knows. At least she called me instead of the number on the screen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wolrah posted:

Why don't you yourself install the real Firefox with an adblocker instead of resetting to the same situation you have to clean up after?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's probably a modal pop-up on the scam page itself. Nothing wrong with her computer, just the page trying to trick her. If she is redirected to it from other, innocent pages, she has malware.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

wolrah posted:

Just put a ninite installer on his desktop (or network share, whatever). It will install an up-to-date Firefox (or update the existing install) when he clicks it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love getting those on my phone

"Oh no, I have a virus" *clicks back once* "Gone."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Schadenboner posted:

Just put a ninite installer on his desktop (or network share, whatever). It will install an up-to-date Firefox (or update the existing install) when he clicks it.

Well pay for it first and then do it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sickening posted:

Well pay for it first and then do it.

I have never looked at Ninite Pro before now and goddamn does their interface look like a disaster.

:yikes:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I have never looked at Ninite Pro before now and goddamn does their interface look like a disaster.

:yikes:

Yeah, but my point is that I am pretty sure that you can't legally use ninite installers for business purposes without paying for the licenses. I might be wrong.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sickening posted:

Yeah, but my point is that I am pretty sure that you can't legally use ninite installers for business purposes without paying for the licenses. I might be wrong.

The idea someone would use software without full and complete licensing in place prior to use fills me with a combination of fury and nausea.

I'm rage puking at the very thought!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

The idea someone would use software without full and complete licensing in place prior to use fills me with a combination of fury and nausea.

Ethics is information security?

Nah...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Schadenboner posted:

I noticed tonight that our VDI jumphost isn't a legal copy of windows >.<

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why don't you yourself install the real Firefox with an adblocker instead of resetting to the same situation you have to clean up after?

We don't install Firefox by default for them because one of their vendor web sites doesn't work properly with it. It works in Chrome and they use G-Suite anyways so we install that instead. It's not like we're leaving them with IE/Edge, in fact we remove the icons for both of those from the desktop and taskbar entirely.

That said, for this user we had already installed Firefox ESR after the first time he did this. The problem is he keeps deleting the icon from his desktop (itself an amazing feat because every time I use his machine there are 2-4 copies of it), then deciding he'll "fix it" himself.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Speaking of Edge, not infosec related, but the new Edge in the dev channel is real real good.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Isn't it just Chromium with "M$ EDGE" slapped over it?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

Basically, yes. Just like about every modern browser. Firefox stands alone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Mustache Ride posted:

Yup. It's fast as hell and runs chrome extensions.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Mustache Ride posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

It's giving Google too much control over web standards. Diversity is a good thing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

It is. It's just like IE was back in '99. Same monopolistic behaviour, same everything. Just the company name is different.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Volguus posted:

It is. It's just like IE was back in '99. Same monopolistic behaviour, same everything. Just the company name is different.

Chromium. Not Chrome.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Chromium. Not Chrome.

Yes, what's your point? Sure is the open source version, but is still the same thing. The reason why everyone (Firefox still holding) is moving to that engine is because of Google's "oopsies" on the websites they control which break the other browsers in fun and exciting ways.
Microsoft back then had an OS monopoly which it used to push its browser monopoly. Google has a services monopoly which it's using to push its own browser. Sure, I could put a different skin on Windows 98 too, not that it mattered much. It was the same poo poo underneath.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Chromium development is still driven by Google, and having every major browser except Firefox using some version of webkit isn't a good thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Volguus posted:

Yes, what's your point? Sure is the open source version, but is still the same thing. The reason why everyone (Firefox still holding) is moving to that engine is because of Google's "oopsies" on the websites they control which break the other browsers in fun and exciting ways.
Microsoft back then had an OS monopoly which it used to push its browser monopoly. Google has a services monopoly which it's using to push its own browser. Sure, I could put a different skin on Windows 98 too, not that it mattered much. It was the same poo poo underneath.

I mean, it's a good engine and open source. Someone can make a new one? I just don't care much about this, sorry. I'll withdraw myself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm more irritated by Google using their services to constantly remind you that you're not using Chrome and hey maybe you should try that. gently caress off.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wolrah posted:

We don't install Firefox by default for them because one of their vendor web sites doesn't work properly with it. It works in Chrome and they use G-Suite anyways so we install that instead. It's not like we're leaving them with IE/Edge, in fact we remove the icons for both of those from the desktop and taskbar entirely.

That said, for this user we had already installed Firefox ESR after the first time he did this. The problem is he keeps deleting the icon from his desktop (itself an amazing feat because every time I use his machine there are 2-4 copies of it), then deciding he'll "fix it" himself.

:stare:

I mean, at this point I'd just set up his firewall to only whitelist stuff he actually needs for work in a way that'll be hard for a non-expert to fix even with admin privileges.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

I mean, at this point I'd just set up his firewall to only whitelist stuff he actually needs for work in a way that'll be hard for a non-expert to fix even with admin privileges.
Our most recent solution, that's been working so far, is sort of the same approach from a different direction. We set up Software Restriction Policies that prevent anyone, even local admins, from executing software within %UserProfile% other than a couple of specifically whitelisted locations where software they use likes to put things.

So far this has proven sufficiently foolproof, but you know what they say about the ingenuity of fools.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

The Fool posted:

It's giving Google too much control over web standards. Diversity is a good thing.

Great, then go back in time and tell web developers to actually test in other browsers. That didn't happen; if it's not mobile Safari or Chrome, nobody cares. Everyone wants diversity as a concept, nobody wants to put in the work, and here we are.

Small credit to Microsoft for living in the real world, and making a good app instead of throwing good money after bad. Plus, for awhile now there's been a vague "could we have Google tech without Alphabet Co slurping up all our data"? And here it is, a de-Googled Chrome that's actually good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Since this is the infosec thread, let me pose an infosec related hypothetical.

Let's say that @taviso has announced a sandbox escape vuln in webkit's font rendering engine. Say that it's in an old enough part of the engine that it also affects all forked versions of webkit as well.

Not only would this hypothetical affect every major browser except Firefox it would affect every minor browser on this list.

Now say that webkit fixes this vuln in their latest release. How many of those projects are actually going to update?

Which ones are actually operating off of a fork like Blink and would need to implement their own fix?

How quickly will MS patch Edge? Google patch Chrome? Apple patch Safari? How many people will actually apply those updates?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a webkit vuln affecting every branch isn't hypothetical tbh

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Fool posted:

Since this is the infosec thread, let me pose an infosec related hypothetical.

Let's say that @taviso has announced a sandbox escape vuln in webkit's font rendering engine. Say that it's in an old enough part of the engine that it also affects all forked versions of webkit as well.

Not only would this hypothetical affect every major browser except Firefox it would affect every minor browser on this list.

Now say that webkit fixes this vuln in their latest release. How many of those projects are actually going to update?

Which ones are actually operating off of a fork like Blink and would need to implement their own fix?

How quickly will MS patch Edge? Google patch Chrome? Apple patch Safari? How many people will actually apply those updates?

I think this is a misleading hypothetical if you aren't also considering whether having the 3 biggest companies in the industry concentrating on the same code has security benefits.

For example, @taviso works for google, he's not gonna drop a webkit/chromium zero-day. He's gonna notify apple to fix it in webkit and google will fix chromium and all the chromium-derivatives will get told privately it's an important patch they should merge ASAP. Now multiply that by all Microsoft's security people as well, who will be concentrating on chromium rather than the IE engine.

Browsers are so important as targets these days that I wouldn't be surprised if security wasn't among MS's reasons to abandon their own browser.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Klyith posted:

I think this is a misleading hypothetical if you aren't also considering whether having the 3 biggest companies in the industry concentrating on the same code has security benefits.

For example, @taviso works for google, he's not gonna drop a webkit/chromium zero-day. He's gonna notify apple to fix it in webkit and google will fix chromium and all the chromium-derivatives will get told privately it's an important patch they should merge ASAP. Now multiply that by all Microsoft's security people as well, who will be concentrating on chromium rather than the IE engine.

Browsers are so important as targets these days that I wouldn't be surprised if security wasn't among MS's reasons to abandon their own browser.

Yes, I'm aware that in reality taviso is going to give every stakeholder a 90-day notification window and that all of the major players will have patches released on or before that deadline.

I'm also aware that in reality not every product has a 100% patch rate, and a vulnerability doesn't magically appear when it is announced. A vulnerability of this magnitude would have been around for a significant amount of time and potentially exploitable before being discovered.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Fool posted:

Yes, I'm aware that in reality taviso is going to give every stakeholder a 90-day notification window and that all of the major players will have patches released on or before that deadline.

I'm also aware that in reality not every product has a 100% patch rate, and a vulnerability doesn't magically appear when it is announced. A vulnerability of this magnitude would have been around for a significant amount of time and potentially exploitable before being discovered.

Yes but you're dodging the actual point. My response about what taviso would do in reality wasn't a counter to your hypothetical, it was an illustration that these companies employ a lot of the most talented people in the biz.

3 browser engines with n/3 security researchers looking at each one, or 1 browser engine with n researchers? Which is more secure?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Klyith posted:

Yes but you're dodging the actual point. My response about what taviso would do in reality wasn't a counter to your hypothetical, it was an illustration that these companies employ a lot of the most talented people in the biz.

3 browser engines with n/3 security researchers looking at each one, or 1 browser engine with n researchers? Which is more secure?

back in the capitalist hellscape of 2019, it’s just as likely that the companies will downsize their security teams because they’re expensive and surely google has that covered

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Klyith posted:

Obviously the project that has the most eyeballs is going to be the most likely to be secure, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

My point is that because of an over-reliance on a single (admittedly good) project, a single vulnerability has potential to cascade down and have wide reaching effects. This is the kind of scenario that system diversity would mitigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Great, then go back in time and tell web developers to actually test in other browsers. That didn't happen; if it's not mobile Safari or Chrome, nobody cares. Everyone wants diversity as a concept, nobody wants to put in the work, and here we are.

Small credit to Microsoft for living in the real world, and making a good app instead of throwing good money after bad. Plus, for awhile now there's been a vague "could we have Google tech without Alphabet Co slurping up all our data"? And here it is, a de-Googled Chrome that's actually good.
You're posting in the infosec thread, and you can't make the definitely hugely massive leap of logic that if standards aren't open and implemented across different alternatives so that people have a choice, you're just putting money directly into Alphabets pockets since they make the vast majority of their money by tracking people?