Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Retromancer posted:

does it matter if a card is exiled with adventure or not? I thought that all the adventure creatures could be cast from exile no matter how they were put there.

WoTC folks on twitter say it does matter. That the card only gains the ability to be cast from exile when you resolve the instant or sorcery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

wow, ok that makes the mechanic both worse and clunkier. not much worse, but I can see how people have issues with it now, especially after WotC just got done printing a cycle that just shrugged off exile effects, so clearly they have no problem with having stuff that does that, and it may be an interesting design space to have cards that are weak to destroy removal but more resilient against exiling, as that's something they've never done.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Retromancer posted:

does it matter if a card is exiled with adventure or not? I thought that all the adventure creatures could be cast from exile no matter how they were put there.

I don't know if it's been explicitly stated somewhere in the spoilers and I can't say I'm 100% certain without seeing the full rules, but there's pretty much zero chance that you can cast an attached creature from exile without casting the Adventure first. Anti-exile effects are super-rare* and there's no way it'd be randomly appended to a bunch of creatures.

*The entire list is: the WAR gods, Kaya's Ghostform, Pull From Eternity, Mirror of Fate, Riftsweeper, Misthollow Griffin, Squee, Torrent Elemental, and Eternal Scourge.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Did people really think that every adventure creature was just going to be an Eternal Scourge with more text? Magic players can be dumb but cards with memories associated with their abilities is not new and will work just fine.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Retromancer posted:

wow, ok that makes the mechanic both worse and clunkier. not much worse, but I can see how people have issues with it now, especially after WotC just got done printing a cycle that just shrugged off exile effects, so clearly they have no problem with having stuff that does that, and it may be an interesting design space to have cards that are weak to destroy removal but more resilient against exiling, as that's something they've never done.

Making more creatures for Food Chain is not a very good idea

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Did people really think that every adventure creature was just going to be an Eternal Scourge with more text? Magic players can be dumb but cards with memories associated with their abilities is not new and will work just fine.

the rules text on eternal scourge and the relevant reminder text for adventure are almost identical and currently if you're not following wotc staff on twitter it's easy to see how someone could think that these are just creatures that shrug off being exiled.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've had more than one person claim that Lovestruck Beast is a Sorcery Creature :shrug: I've been telling people that Adventure is a fancy version of cards that have an activated ability you can use from your hand, like Simian Spirit Guide or Faerie Macabre.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Retromancer posted:

the rules text on eternal scourge and the relevant reminder text for adventure are almost identical and currently if you're not following wotc staff on twitter it's easy to see how someone could think that these are just creatures that shrug off being exiled.

the creature isn’t an adventure, it’s a creature. adventure refers only to the spell half. I appreciate that the stupid frames make this non-intuitive, but an adventure card isn’t a creature with a weird ability, it’s a split card where casting the spell half first lets you cast the creature half later. The only place on the card where “you may cast this from exile” might live is in the word “adventure,” which is tied to the resolution of an instant or sorcery.

I think that choosing to use this frame is a mistake because my guess is a lot of people are going to think either 1) the adventure half is an ability the creature has or 2) the adventure text is relevant in circumstances other than you actually casting the sorcery or instant.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the frame was a mistake from a game usability standpoint in a way we haven't seen since invocations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Yeah the card frame is pretty confusing, especially as split cards normally had two arts. I can see adventure cards getting played completely wrong on kitchen tables. Not that it's a bad thing as long as kitchen table magic is for fun.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

How do split cards work for the purposes of searching for a card type though? These creatures with adventure are only searchable with effects that state "creature" even if the adventure has a instant or sorcery typing.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I wonder if an effect that gives cards in your graveyard flashback would let you cast Adventure spells. Obviously no one knows until we see the rules, but I assume no since it's just a creature in the graveyard, right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Shabadu posted:

How do split cards work for the purposes of searching for a card type though? These creatures with adventure are only searchable with effects that state "creature" even if the adventure has a instant or sorcery typing.

Split cards are both types of card. These aren’t, which is further confusing. This mechanic is starting to look a lot like bestow: somewhat intuitively grokkable, but full of weirdly shaped corner pieces that make it interact badly with the rest of the comp rules

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Adventure reminds me of Tribal, in that it's obviously a mechanic Design really want to do (split spell/creature cards) but the Rules Manager said "this is going to be ugly".

I don't think it will be a big gameplay issue though, it's just a little inelegant.

e: surely no one familiar with constructed thought they could be played from exile? Imagine them with Serum Powder, jeez

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
All I want to be able to do with Adventure cards is be a terrible legacy scrub and jam some of them into Food Chain. Adventure sucks since it doesn't work how I think it does. :downs:

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 5, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

mossyfisk posted:

e: surely no one familiar with constructed thought they could be played from exile? Imagine them with Serum Powder, jeez
I did, when I first read the reminder text. The Exile zone has been consistently moving away from its origins as outside the game towards a second special graveyard, and they've already made creatures that avoid exile effects in WAR. I could see R&D being willing to move in that direction, and it's not like any of the Adventure cards so far are strong enough for legacy formats even if they escape Swords to Plowshares.

That said, this is probably a much better solution.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm curious what happens if they want to bring back removed from the game completely. Something gets banished to the shadow realm or maybe whenever bolas is now

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tibalt posted:

I did, when I first read the reminder text. The Exile zone has been consistently moving away from its origins as outside the game towards a second special graveyard, and they've already made creatures that avoid exile effects in WAR. I could see R&D being willing to move in that direction, and it's not like any of the Adventure cards so far are strong enough for legacy formats even if they escape Swords to Plowshares.

My secret tech is Eldrazi Processors to put my opponent's adventures into their graveyard

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tibalt posted:

can't wait til they finally decide to make a proper temporary zone for the things like this and oblivion ring, they have to retroactively errata dozens of cards, like they did for the dumbass Planeswalker Redirection rule

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

can't wait til they finally decide to make a proper temporary zone for the things like this and oblivion ring, they have to retroactively errata dozens of cards, like they did for the dumbass Planeswalker Redirection rule

The the removed from game zone has been renamed to the removed from the freaking game forever zone

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

The the removed from game zone has been renamed to the removed from the freaking game forever zone

AWOL in black border, I like it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

ok yeah this, but you can use wishes to get cards from there again

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, since the removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone counts as "outside the game", you're now allowed to Wish for those cards just like you used to be able to.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I need to make a food tribal deck commandered by Tezzeret, Master of the Fridge

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MisterZimbu posted:

I need to make a food tribal deck commandered by Tezzeret, Master of the Fridge

My Standard Tezzy MotB deck is like 60 percent there and I think Food actually might push it over the top. I am pretty hype

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I don’t remember seeing the alt art for this one yesterday but it is fantastic!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tibalt posted:

I remember when people thought Mirror of Fate was WOTC trying to make exile into a second graveyard, it's been ten years and that hasn't really come to pass.

...jesus Christ its been 10 years since M10

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
The art in this set has been really good so far, but it seems like the ideal time for Rebecca Guay art to come back. Feels like the last one she did that was a reprint was FTV Serra Angel?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Tainen posted:

I don’t remember seeing the alt art for this one yesterday but it is fantastic!

holy poo poo I just realized this card is the blue faerie from Pinocchio

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

InterrupterJones posted:

The art in this set has been really good so far, but it seems like the ideal time for Rebecca Guay art to come back. Feels like the last one she did that was a reprint was FTV Serra Angel?

Shes not coming back

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

She did the Commander land arts in 2016. But yeah, as has been mentioned upthread, Guay is a seriously successful artist now, and basically the only times she comes back to Magic are when WotC are willing to spend a shitload of money on her and she decides she's interested. I'd love to see her stuff in this set, but I highly doubt it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Having Rebecca do more MtG art would be wonderful, but it's not like she's not making art at all anymore. A lot of her gallery work is ridiculously good. (Rather NSFW though.)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Framboise posted:

A lot of her gallery work is ridiculously good. (Rather NSFW though.)

Maybe Wizards is saving her for a lust-based plane.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Human Crouton posted:

Maybe Wizards is saving her for a lust-based plane.

The crossover with the Dante's Inferno game we've been waiting for!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

There is a certain allure to only needing 1 of a card. Feels more collectible that way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

fadam posted:

Some people like having a wider variety of cards to play with? :shrug: Plus only needing one of each card like Sickening said. For my part though, when I did play EDH I was the rear end in a top hat with a Commander that cod tutor for a lot of the cards in the deck, so variance was less of an issue for me.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

fadam posted:

You get the good part of variance, which is that games are different each time and you get to see and play with different cards.

I like both singleton and precon decks, the two of them together is a bit much for my personal taste. I imagine Brawl will be a lot better when you can plan for some sort of redundancy with your cards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It means games play out differently so playing one deck doesn't get monotonous so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also I found the Psully healthcare rant