Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

a fatguy bald spot posted:

Are there any good podcasts about the dark ages, migration age Europe, all that jazz? I’ve always been really interested in the period after the fall of Rome to the tenth century, but it’s hard to find good stuff outside of Wikipedia.

Dan Carlin did Thor's Angels, which is one of my favorite episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Any recommendations for Japanese history podcasts?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

History of Japan by Isaac Meyer is the big one. I wish he did more ancient Japan but he jumps around on all kinds of subjects.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Any recommendations for Japanese history podcasts?

Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East is pretty good but its also extremely Dan Carlin-y and only about ww2/sino-japanese wars and their immediate background

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East is pretty good but its also extremely Dan Carlin-y and only about ww2/sino-japanese wars and their immediate background

This was the first Hardcore History I couldn't finish. I got lost when he took his drug addiction analogy about conquering territory way too far even for Dan.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

same. it was like a greatest hits of dumb analogies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just started the Russian revolution section and the stuff on Marx and communism is really well done.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Are there any good podcasts about the dark ages, migration age Europe, all that jazz? I’ve always been really interested in the period after the fall of Rome to the tenth century, but it’s hard to find good stuff outside of Wikipedia.

The History of Byzantium has covered the Eastern Roman Empire from the 6th to 11th centuries and touches on a lot of the big picture European stuff in its "end of the century" episodes. The episodes on the rise of Islam are particularly interesting, though I have to say that I don't like the host's Carlin impression when he did a 2 and 1/2 hour long episode on Heraclius. The British History Podcast has been going through dark ages England in what some might call excruciating detail, though as the name suggests it's strongly focused on Anglo-Saxon England and only occasionally touches on the goings-on on the continent. Also, the Roman Britain stuff is extremely rough and skippable if you know the era well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

I just started the Russian revolution section and the stuff on Marx and communism is really well done.

He goes 8 episodes before even beginning Russian history

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Twelve Byzantine Emperors was the first podcast I listened to; I haven't touched it in seven years or so but I remember it being pretty good.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

history of philosophy without any gaps covers how philosophical texts and traditions survived that era, if you want something even more niche.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't believe I'm finally caught up on Revolutions. I've been listening to it while driving around and mowing my lawn for over a year. Now I have to wait for the slow drip-drip of weekly content with the rest of you swine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

He goes 8 episodes before even beginning Russian history

Yeah it’s pretty fantastic.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

History of Philosophy is amazing, but you can't skip straight into the Islamic episodes unless you already have a general understanding of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, and probably also some of the neoplatonics. Everyone up to and including Avicenna draw so much from the classics that you need to background to really understand it. But if you can understand Avicenna, you can understand the rest of the Islamic episodes just fine.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

euphronius posted:

Yeah it’s pretty fantastic.

It's basically the best summary of Marxist thought I've ever read or heard

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Some good alt-right bashing at the end of this week's Tides of History, if you're into that sort of thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1171079742570803200?s=19

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's basically the best summary of Marxist thought I've ever read or heard
I'm thinking of passing it along to some fellow DSAers who are just decent human beings who don't know anything about theory and would like a straightforward explanation.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anyone got good podcast recommendations for series about linguistics?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Anyone got good podcast recommendations for series about linguistics?

Lexicon Valley is the go to choice. Lingthusiasm was another but I find one of hosts really annoying, though they do cover things well.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I must have forgotten that Dan had a book coming out

https://twitter.com/BridgetPhetasy/status/1176264041045512192

Also the blurb starts out with Dan_Carlin.txt

quote:

The creator of the wildly popular award-winning podcast Hardcore History looks at some of the apocalyptic moments from the past as a way to frame the challenges of the future.

Do tough times create tougher people? Can humanity handle the power of its weapons without destroying itself? Will human technology or capabilities ever peak or regress? No one knows the answers to such questions, but no one asks them in a more interesting way than Dan Carlin.

In The End is Always Near, Dan Carlin looks at questions and historical events that force us to consider what sounds like fantasy; that we might suffer the same fate that all previous eras did. Will our world ever become a ruin for future archaeologists to dig up and explore? The questions themselves are both philosophical and like something out of The Twilight Zone.

Combining his trademark mix of storytelling, history and weirdness Dan Carlin connects the past and future in fascinating and colorful ways. At the same time the questions he asks us to consider involve the most important issue imaginable: human survival. From the collapse of the Bronze Age to the challenges of the nuclear era the issue has hung over humanity like a persistent Sword of Damocles.

Inspired by his podcast, The End is Always Near challenges the way we look at the past and ourselves. In this absorbing compendium, Carlin embarks on a whole new set of stories and major cliffhangers that will keep readers enthralled. Idiosyncratic and erudite, offbeat yet profound, The End is Always Near examines issues that are rarely presented, and makes the past immediately relevant to our very turbulent present.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ok, how many boxing references will there be

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Glumslinger posted:

Also the blurb starts out with Dan_Carlin.txt

Aren't those literally three episode topics? At least the first two are.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I hope he does an audiobook version of this.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

that's a given I mean c'mon

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. If he does an audiobook version where he reads it, I'm in. Otherwise, nope.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He already said he finished recording it I think. At the least he's in the process.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
I remember Mike Duncan talking about one of his books being released in audio format, and said something to the effect of, "of course I'm going to record it myself. Writing things and reading them to you guys is my job"

so yeah

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Has Duncan said what date he's gonna end the Russian series and if this is the last one?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

From what I recall he's leaving it open ended and it'll be as many episodes as it needs to be. It isn't the last one because he was talking about Revolutions wrapping up in 2022, and I don't think the Russian Revolution is going to last that long.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I know the chinese revolution is probably too large to cover but Im hoping we can at least get in the cuban and iranian revolutions before the end

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I'm pretty sure he's going up to at least Cuba and possibly Iran. Cuba makes sense as the finale given the themes that have emerged throughout the podcast. Iran comes out of a different revolutionary tradition than the ideas that were rattling back and forth across the Atlantic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think he said he's not doing China or other Asian revolutions because he doesn't think he knows the history nearly well enough to make an attempt, which is fair enough. I dunno if he's including Iran or specifically thinking East/Southeast Asia. Cuba seems possible for sure.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I saw an interview from 2015 where he said he'd probably do Iran, but IIRC he's said anything more recent than that is more history than current events (and he may have included that revolution as current events at the time), so it'll be the last one if he does it. I hope he does Cuba too.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I can't imagine we won't get a quick shot at the Spartacists, if not the entire German Revolution. Might wind up as a side episode or two of the Russia series but you could lump in Hungary and Bavaria as well and go full red scare.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

It was kind of weird how the audio quality of Duncan's reading of The Storm before the Storm seemed way lower than on his normal podcast. I know he probably just had to go somewhere to read it, but it seems like a studio could put out something on par with a guy just recording on his own. Maybe it's just a different kind of standard for audio books.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
The last chapter of Revolutions will be "The American Revolution, 2019" and it will just be Mike issuing a call to arms and rallying the people to take the streets and abolish private property and inheritance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s getting there

He was moderate when he started Rome

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
poo poo posters of the world unite, all you have to lose is your :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

It was kind of weird how the audio quality of Duncan's reading of The Storm before the Storm seemed way lower than on his normal podcast. I know he probably just had to go somewhere to read it, but it seems like a studio could put out something on par with a guy just recording on his own. Maybe it's just a different kind of standard for audio books.

I'm not sure which particular audiobook service/app you might have been using, but most of the big ones will default to delivering a rather low-bitrate audio file to your listening device. And that often means that by default you'll get audio quality that's worse than many podcasts use.

Usually, you can set an option to get the larger files that don't mash down the audio quality.