Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Like if I’m gonna spend a thousand dollars on space barbies and spend hundreds of hours painting them I’m going to “suggest” I use whatever rules I want to play with them.

And this doesn’t make me an rear end in a top hat it’s the entire spirit of the 80’s Rogue Trader. I’ve got a loving space tank I made from a deodorant that White Dwarf taught me how to build.

So keep on good sirs.

Post the deodorant tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's the likelihood of Renegades and/or Chaos Guard being made an actual army instead of a Forge World thing?

Like, every single Blackstone release just seems to be adding more models to that pile, and while they're mono-pose they're loving sick.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

goose willis posted:

What's the likelihood of Renegades and/or Chaos Guard being made an actual army instead of a Forge World thing?

Like, every single Blackstone release just seems to be adding more models to that pile, and while they're mono-pose they're loving sick.

Fingers crossed. I was going to buy the crap out of them to play in an R&H army, but even the Traitor Commissar is keyworded to only play in the army with the BSF Chaos Hammer lord and his chums! So you're basically stuck proxying them for now.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

None, given that none of them can be released standalone

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

TheChirurgeon posted:

None, given that none of them can be released standalone

The OG BSF box? For sure. The newer stuff is coming out on frames you could make box sets out of.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chiwie posted:

The OG BSF box? For sure. The newer stuff is coming out on frames you could make box sets out of.

the new stuff are cultists, though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone have a good tutorial for Retro Ultramarines?

As part of my slow slide into middle age and eventual senility I am regressing and thinking of the lovely Ultramarines I had back in 2E and wondering if the color scheme would look good on Primaris. It's BORAT VOICE MY TINY HU-MON'S birthday in a month or so and maybe I could pick up First Strike or KNF.

Death Guard vs. Ultras is kind of the centerpiece of the current boxed sets right?

E: Hurr. Goonhammer has it at the bottom: https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-ultramarines/

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

goose willis posted:

The lore spends so much time talking about renegades and the Imperium spends more time fighting then then actual Chaos Legions but they never seem to get an actual army outside of FW.

Genestealer Cult-esque brood brothers rules for Chaos would also be cool just so I can take my impulse purchase leman Russes with my thousand sons but that'll probably take away from GSCs thing.

Re: psychic awakening, given the Tau are meant to be trailing the path of humanity during the Dark Age of Technology, some kind of psychic posessed drone which the Tau naively believe isn't a ticking time bomb waiting to happen would be cool. And/or Nicassar.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One of the big pre-8th rumors was a new non- Imperial human army. People were expecting everything from Maccrage successionists to Tau colonials, but chaos guard seems much more likely and obvious.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sharkopath posted:

I've been bouncing my head around trying to think of tyranid paint schemes I can do with what paints I have but I don't think there is a scheme better than Behemoth with the black carapace and blue edge highlighting. Real excited to get some warriors and gaunts soon and practice it.

For a specific fluff/gameplay question about the different fleets: Does the Behemoth trait of rerolling charges feel more or less useful than Krakens fall back and charge? I'm mostly experienced in Kill Team so the nuances of 40k proper phases I'm in the dark for.

Kronos and rerolling 1s sounds a bit useful but having played tyranid kill teams before the high movement and assault weaponry makes them seem like an army where the mobility is the great strength and not sitting still and sniping.

Kraken is a ludicrously good hive fleet trait, it pretty much guarantees a 5-6 inch advance and fall back and charge is great, it makes your assault units near impossible to tie up with anything. It's also got easily the best relic and the warlord trait's decent too. I've never even considered taking any of the other hivefleets.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

I've been bouncing my head around trying to think of tyranid paint schemes I can do with what paints I have but I don't think there is a scheme better than Behemoth with the black carapace and blue edge highlighting. Real excited to get some warriors and gaunts soon and practice it.

I'm a big fan of the coconut crab look:

https://youtu.be/QBu3e8jZDEc

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ro5s posted:

Kraken is a ludicrously good hive fleet trait, it pretty much guarantees a 5-6 inch advance and fall back and charge is great, it makes your assault units near impossible to tie up with anything. It's also got easily the best relic and the warlord trait's decent too. I've never even considered taking any of the other hivefleets.

Yeah if you’re looking for mobility and flexibility Kraken is absolutely the best choice. If you’re playing a bunch of Carnifices it’s also killer to force bonus mortal wounds on units each turn. Yeah, you take a little more overwatch, but the upside is incredible.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Kraken Genestealers are loving ludicrous

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm a big fan of the coconut crab look:

https://youtu.be/QBu3e8jZDEc

Thats an incredible look and almost probably too much for me right now, thanks for sharing.

Also thanks for everybody giving advice on the hive fleet choice, I didnt think through what the ability to constantly reposition and recharge meant, in addition to the advance bonus I forgot about.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I've never had Kraken Genestealers NOT complete a charge on turn 1, it's great.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Enjoy my post-NOVA round-up of just how bad Aer Lingus is, with some incidental mention of playing in a tournament or something: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-corroad-to-nova-pt-5-aer-lingus-can-suck-it/

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Rutibex posted:

Post the deodorant tank

Unfortunately mine has probably disintegrated somewhere in my parents basement but here,

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Enjoy my post-NOVA round-up of just how bad Aer Lingus is, with some incidental mention of playing in a tournament or something: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-corroad-to-nova-pt-5-aer-lingus-can-suck-it/

it's kind of amazing that they lost your bag both times

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Katya Úlfurdottir’s knight house was almost torn to shreds by Magnus the Red’s campaign of vengeance against the Space Wolves. Only her Armiger Helverin, Fjandahamri, and a few others managed to escape the destruction of their fiefdom at the hands of Chaos. Now she fights on as a Freeblade of sorts, having been inducted into the pack of the Raudhklo’s. A unit of Primaris Space Marines belonging to the 13th Great Company of the Space Wolves.
Her diminutive size in comparison to the towering Marines have earned her the affectionate nickname “Cub”. A name she partially resents but also wears with pride at the same time. For she is a cub that packs a mean bite with her heavy firepower.

Done over about a weeks time or so. Possibly two. Didn’t really keep track of things. Unlike last time around this has some of the best edge highlights I’ve done in a while, having sharp corners (and good flowy paint) helps a lot. Even if there’s some smearing here and there.
First time I’ve used transfers in a very long time and it ended up pretty well. Did help I cut it out pretty close.

The lessons learned from this is that if I’m ever building another Armiger is that I’m going to magnetize the connection between the body and legs because that thing is not stable at all. Probably not meant to stay unglued.
Oh and base with metal primer next time around.

Still a neat kit. But I do wish I could swap one of the arms out for the chainsword or some other melee weapon. And also use one of the head swaps available on Shapeways.

Base will be unfinished until I get my hands on Mordant Earth.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
If I had a game one like that I'd make a loving t-shirt next year declaring that yes, I was indeed that guy who lost his entire army to his own Kytan. What a glorious death.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I'm sorry you had to go through that first game to entertain the rest of us but if it's any consolation, holy poo poo was I entertained reading about it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

it's kind of amazing that they lost your bag both times

Tonight's update: the delivery guy called to say it would be with me in an hour. 3 hours later, he audibly shrugged and said maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey guys, I did some more Mathhammering. This thing lets you figure out the probability of an attack performing damage against a target. To use it make your own personal copy and then edit the highlighted region.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey guys, I did some more Mathhammering. This thing lets you figure out the probability of an attack performing damage against a target. To use it make your own personal copy and then edit the highlighted region.

This is cool as hell and the name is the best.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm sorry you had to go through that first game to entertain the rest of us but if it's any consolation, holy poo poo was I entertained reading about it.

nite_moogle posted:

If I had a game one like that I'd make a loving t-shirt next year declaring that yes, I was indeed that guy who lost his entire army to his own Kytan. What a glorious death.

Ha, thanks! For these kinds of things I think it's generally better to lose hilariously than in boring fashion stringing out six slog turns, points be damned.

Also, if you haven't read part 2, it's out: https://www.goonhammer.com/nova-2019-part-2-the-big-titty-werewolf-appreciator-has-logged-on/

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In regards to Renegades and such... I would really dig non-Chaos Renegades, both marines and others. Just people in general, fed up with the Imperium and doing their own thing, or fighting them like the Soul Drinkers did.

A proper T'au auxilliary army would make me jump back into the hobby.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

evilmiera posted:

In regards to Renegades and such... I would really dig non-Chaos Renegades, both marines and others. Just people in general, fed up with the Imperium and doing their own thing, or fighting them like the Soul Drinkers did.

A proper T'au auxilliary army would make me jump back into the hobby.

You can just use the rules for guard or marines if you're making sensible renegades, not much would change as far as their fighting style and equipment.

A Tau auxiliary range would be pretty interesting.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Ive greatly enjoyed reading this series and its really sold me on the idea of attempting adepticon and nova next year

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JBP posted:

You can just use the rules for guard or marines if you're making sensible renegades, not much would change as far as their fighting style and equipment.

A Tau auxiliary range would be pretty interesting.

The Psychic Awakening would be a perfect opportunity to introduce Tau auxiliaries, but I think new model lines might be thinking bigger than GW is gonna go.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 5, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Inspector_666 posted:

The Psychic Awakening would be a perfect opportunity to introduce Tua auxiliaries, but I think new model lines might be thinking bigger than GW is gonna go.

Plastic Aspect Warriors are already confirmed.

If Auxilliariex get updated rules and models, plus maybe one more client race with psychic, an actual HQ of literally any kind, and a single decent heavy support slot they'd be playable as an army. As is they kinda suck.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Plastic Chaos Guard seems like a no brainer. The Blackstone models got a great response, and the codex is already like 80 percent written.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just give me 40K Dogs of War.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guys help I don't know how to paint my tiny planes. I'll be playing Imperium, and I'm currently leaning toward one of these:

Because they both seem really iconic and also relatively easy, although painting stripes sounds tricky. Any other better ideas?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Strobe posted:

Guys help I don't know how to paint my tiny planes. I'll be playing Imperium, and I'm currently leaning toward one of these:

Because they both seem really iconic and also relatively easy, although painting stripes sounds tricky. Any other better ideas?

One idea could be Aggressor colour schemes.

Even if they might be a bit more work to do but on the other hand they look cool.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
They’re certainly not going to release Traitor Guard using exactly the Blackstone Fortress Models, because, yeah, those things are on existing sprues and you’d need to make new moulds to offer them separately. But those models existing means GW has put artist-hours into designing them visually and creating CAD files for them; which could potentially be tooled into new sprues for a general Traitor Guard release.

As for whether they’ll ever do that... they’re not going to stop putting out new armies any time soon. Current obvious guesses for the next couple of full new army releases be World Eaters, Emperor’s Children, a full Ynnari release, and something that makes use of the plastic Sisters of Silence; current everyone-wants-this guess with less evidence it’s happening would be Dark Mechanicum, I think. That the Traitor Guard have clearly been designed and have CAD files probably puts them as more likely for an upcoming release than the latter?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Strobe posted:

Low tack painter's tape or masking tape makes stripes a breeze. Tamiya even has their own in different widths and a neat dispenser.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Strobe posted:

Painting stripes becomes a lot easier with some tape to block off the areas that you want to paint, and always to paint darker colors over lighter colors. When I did my Iron Warriors, I would do stripes by laying down multiple strips next to each other on the yellow areas and then peeling off alternating strips so that the area that I wanted black was exposed and the yellow was covered.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've never used masking tape for painting before. I think this would be a good opportunity, too, with straight lines and broad flat panels.

The Jolly Rogers are just fuckin' iconic though and that's an easy gray to make look good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Strobe posted:

Invasion stripes are pro af.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Whenever I get around to getting an AI thunderbolts box I'm probably just gonna cave in and paint most of them as the Ace Combat aces. :v:
Even if doing an aggressors scheme is tempting too. I know I have the USN Grey colour at least in VMC form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Like if I’m gonna spend a thousand dollars on space barbies and spend hundreds of hours painting them I’m going to “suggest” I use whatever rules I want to play with them.

And this doesn’t make me an rear end in a top hat it’s the entire spirit of the 80’s Rogue Trader. I’ve got a loving space tank I made from a deodorant that White Dwarf taught me how to build.

So keep on good sirs.

I've been meaning to hunt down a physical copy of Rogue Trader for years, one thing I always thought would be a fun fan project would be backporting stuff from later editions of 40k into Rogue Trader's rules and aesthetics