Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morpheus posted:

I do like the lovecraftian element in the series - the idea of this world-encompassing creature that thrives on pain not because it enjoys it, but because that's simply what it consumes, is a cool idea. I find that the part that sucks is the part that involves (spoilers, I guess) the succession of the Prince, since there's simply too much of a human element there.
You're right that it would be a cool idea, if not for the problem that you're also right about : it has too much of a human element and feels too much like human cruelty and spitefulness. You can't make a story about vengeful spirits and a story about cosmic horror at the same time, they're just not thematically compatible that way. The series would've worked so much better if it has just been about a succession of angry spooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I feel like part of the reason the Chzo games were so well-received was because they were in the middle of that enormous mid-2000s adventure game drought. The only other decent adventure games released around the time were Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 (and calling Season 1 "decent" is the highest praise you can offer it), so they came across as classics* rather than pretty good but not mind blowing. Which makes them seem disappointing when you play that really awesome game you remember from 15 years ago and end up thoroughly unimpressed.

*In retrospect "I just wanted to go into spaaaaaaace" is the single best and most classic thing about them, because goddamn is that an inadvertently hilarious anticlimax.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

You're right that it would be a cool idea, if not for the problem that you're also right about : it has too much of a human element and feels too much like human cruelty and spitefulness. You can't make a story about vengeful spirits and a story about cosmic horror at the same time, they're just not thematically compatible that way. The series would've worked so much better if it has just been about a succession of angry spooks.

No, they-- are. They're perfectly compatible with one another, whether they feed off each other, or work at cross purposes. There's ways to do it, just not in the way it was done. The way it was presented was characters being lead around by the nose from one scene to the next, their actual personalities weren't given time to come into their own, and they acted in accordance to the story's agenda. If they'd had more time to be more than set pieces, themselves, maybe that might've changed, but Yahtzee just isn't a strong enough character writer to pull it off.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I feel like part of the reason the Chzo games were so well-received was because they were in the middle of that enormous mid-2000s adventure game drought. The only other decent adventure games released around the time were Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 (and calling Season 1 "decent" is the highest praise you can offer it), so they came across as classics* rather than pretty good but not mind blowing. Which makes them seem disappointing when you play that really awesome game you remember from 15 years ago and end up thoroughly unimpressed.

*In retrospect "I just wanted to go into spaaaaaaace" is the single best and most classic thing about them, because goddamn is that an inadvertently hilarious anticlimax.

It helps that there are some legitimately decent ideas in there, but 'Ideas Guy: The Game' only has so much mileage. That said, I doubt people would still be passing them around if there weren't, so I'm not prepared to say 'poo poo, it's all poo poo,' or even that they're just bog-standard mediocre, outside of my own aforementioned 'can't death of the SPAAACE author.'

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think the LP in the archive is slightly over acerbic, but there’s a great denouncement near the end that points out how completely stupid everything about the kid, the tree, and Chzo are.

Trilby’s Notes is the one worth playing at the end of the day, even if it does just crib from SH2. The final puzzle is really good.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 5, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It also helps that, outside of the plot overall, the game's did a pretty good job of being spooky - the atmosphere, the scares, they weren't something (still aren't) that you got from point-and-click adventure games.

Like, having a murderous entity stalk towards you while being completely unable to click on anything it hurts was genuinely unsettling in a way that a lot of horror doesn't really execute well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Old Boot posted:

No, they-- are. They're perfectly compatible with one another, whether they feed off each other, or work at cross purposes. There's ways to do it, just not in the way it was done. The way it was presented was characters being lead around by the nose from one scene to the next, their actual personalities weren't given time to come into their own, and they acted in accordance to the story's agenda. If they'd had more time to be more than set pieces, themselves, maybe that might've changed, but Yahtzee just isn't a strong enough character writer to pull it off.
I personally disagree. Cosmic horror is all about a grand and terrible but mostly uncaring universe, while personal horror like a "vengeful spirit" plot is all about the notion that human feelings and conceptions of justice matter enough to even upturn the natural laws of life and death, if the grudge is serious enough. I don't see them as compatible because they basically approach the genre from diametrically opposed directions. It's not worth arguing about, though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bogart posted:

I think the LP in the archive is slightly over acerbic, but there’s a great denouncement near the end that points out how completely stupid everything about the kid, the tree, and Chzo are.

Trilby’s Notes is the one worth playing at the end of the day, even if it does just crib from SH2. The final puzzle is really good.

I would agree if Yahtzee didnt show up to provide an opposing (or agreeing :haw:) viewpoint, as it is I think it works great :v: also I'm really glad Yahtzee overcame that weird proto incel/volcel thing because that was the creepiest part of the last game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't say "overcame," if some of the outright spiteful things he had to say about women in his last few Zero Punctuation are any indication...

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Danaru posted:

also I'm really glad Yahtzee overcame that weird proto incel/volcel thing because that was the creepiest part of the last game.

I have bad news for you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh no :saddowns:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah I think after this long it’s safe to say that the dude genuinely hates women, and I’m glad I stopped watching ZP years ago

Which is a real letdown but I guess not really surprising

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is the kind of hard accusation that I really don't like making without major proof, but yeah, at this point it's clear that the guy has some serious issues of the "get out of my loving internet" variety.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What's he done aside from just finding sex to be weird and icky?

I haven't heard about Yahtzee since i was literally in college.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Old Boot posted:

Shame this got wrecked by the tire fire that followed it up, but given what Yahtzee's turned into, it's not really a surprise. :v:

Also WTF Deadly Premonition 2 being Switch-exclusive? Am I reading this right?

I always find it annoying when a sequel comes exclusively out on a platform the original was never on. Ya I know they are releasing the original on there too...but would be nice if it came out on PC.

A gamer hating women? Inconceivable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Heard it confirmed in the Steam thread, so presumably that's a thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
For what it's worth, Yahtzee is married now. His wife occasionally appears with him on his livestreams.

There are definitely a couple of eyebrow-raisers in early ZP videos, but I haven't noticed anything like that in a while.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, DP2 is Switch exclusive.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Old Boot posted:

It helps that there are some legitimately decent ideas in there, but 'Ideas Guy: The Game' only has so much mileage. That said, I doubt people would still be passing them around if there weren't, so I'm not prepared to say 'poo poo, it's all poo poo,' or even that they're just bog-standard mediocre, outside of my own aforementioned 'can't death of the SPAAACE author.'

That's fair enough, I didn't mean to come down too hard on the series. I just remember people (myself included) treating them like they were a Silent Hill 2-level addition to the horror game canon, which was a bit much. At the very least Trilby's Notes is a definite highlight and worth replaying, it's just not a genre-defining game (IMO).

The real aughties point-and-click horror game I loved at the time and am terrified of revisiting is The White Chamber, because I have very fond and vaguely foggy memories of it and unlike Chzo it seems to not be remembered at all.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So, Detention. Loved The Cat Lady and Downfall, and they were my missus' early introductions to videogames after the Telltale series. Watching the trailer I can tell Detention looks fantastic and there seems to be good buzz about it - are there any mechanically tense puzzles or set pieces? She's not the fastest at responding under pressure and fear can give way to frustration quickly if she has to repeat scenes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've only watched videos, so take that opinion with a grain of salt, but while there's the occasional situation where a Spooky Thing walks at you and you need to quickly run away, I do believe it's otherwise fairly sedate in terms of pace.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Yeah, the spirits in Detention aren't really a problem during the game, only appear for a bit. To avoid one you hold your breath as it passes by. Once you see them once or twice, they really aren't all that scary.
Great game though, shame we'll never get Devotion.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Man of Medan with a non-communicative friend is a nightmare. We beat the game but I'm not even entirely sure what the game's story even is. I'm gonna have to do another playthrough so I have time to read notes and check things. Dig the curator tho. That guy is cool.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I really do dig the ‘Saturday night TV special horror movie with sassy creep host’ feeling they got going on

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blair Witch is really one of those games where I find it hard to sympathize with the protagonist. Not because of anything he has done, I haven't gotten to that yet, but because someone literally goes "you know, you could just turn around and leave" to him and he is just all "hmm.... naaaaah."

You had five hours to think better of it, man. At that point, it's really your own fault. That witch is awfully patient with you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's why I think the protagonist would've been stronger had he just been a regular Joe trying to get his 5 minutes of fame instead of someone whose past trauma manifests into monsters.

I jokingly say The Shining ruined horror for a generation but it is getting tiresome that the protag must be a tortured individual. The Blair Witch was a powerful film because it was a bunch of kids, not unlike most of the audience, getting in way over their heads. It makes the evil that much more malicious when it can happen to you by accident.

e: I say all this and yet I think it would be a neat spin on Cabin in the Woods if the victims were discretely manipulated from birth to become the horror movie tropes they are instead of *handwaves* magic pheromone gas or whatever.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 5, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

I jokingly say The Shining ruined horror for a generation but it is getting tiresome that the protag must be a tortured individual.
You're not alone in that, I can tell you this. It was interesting when it was fresh and new, but now it's just an expected cliché, which really robs it of any meaningful impact it could have before you even start playing the game.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Wanderer posted:

For what it's worth, Yahtzee is married now. His wife occasionally appears with him on his livestreams.

There are definitely a couple of eyebrow-raisers in early ZP videos, but I haven't noticed anything like that in a while.

One can both be married to a woman and have terrible opinions about them.

All in all it filters into his ZP material at times, albeit less frequently, but he was going on intensely GG-esque rants in his streams for some time. It's not new, and maybe it's "tapered" some since I bailed out, but it's definitely there, and was definitely taking up a whole lot of real-estate circa 2015-onward.

Accordion Man posted:

Noooooo, god dammit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

After the Alec Holowka incident last week (and I recommend anyone interested in indie games read Scott Benson's Medium article) you really have to take a lot of this stuff at face value for what it's worth. Especially with creatives, there's no separation of art from artist because art is influenced entirely by the artist's beliefs and mindset. Everything humans create is political blah blah blah

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

It's why I think the protagonist would've been stronger had he just been a regular Joe trying to get his 5 minutes of fame instead of someone whose past trauma manifests into monsters.

I jokingly say The Shining ruined horror for a generation but it is getting tiresome that the protag must be a tortured individual. The Blair Witch was a powerful film because it was a bunch of kids, not unlike most of the audience, getting in way over their heads. It makes the evil that much more malicious when it can happen to you by accident.

e: I say all this and yet I think it would be a neat spin on Cabin in the Woods if the victims were discretely manipulated from birth to become the horror movie tropes they are instead of *handwaves* magic pheromone gas or whatever.

Ya I just finished the game and I didn't really dig the PTSD thing. They could have given him some motivation to go into a cursed forest with his dog instead of "look it me I am helping guys!" Honestly the whole story, if no nobody told me the title, I would think this is a Texas Chainsaw Massacre game.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Playing through Man of Medan again and wow, it's much better doing Movie Night mode than playing online. I'm actually experiencing a story and not being confused the whole time.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm going to have to buy a Switch. York skateboards in DP2.

SKATEBOARDS

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's always time for a shocking swerve but Blair Witch might have the most heavily telegraphed twist I've seen in this type of game in a while 90 minutes into it. The killer, which you see in VHS tapes that the protagonist finds, has extremely similar clothing to him. Later on you find the body of one of your friends and the main character goes something along the lines of "whoever did this must've been someone he trusted to be able to get this close," later on you find a kid's drawing of an Evil Man and an Evil Dog. Your character has a dog companion. There's plenty of spooky visions of your character holding a gun while surrounded by corpses and cop cars. Plenty of lines too with double meaning that can be also understood as "I'm the killer!!! Also hallucinations with spooky voices asking the character about what he has done.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

It's not a video game but that's what I hate about Channel Zero, it's a TV show that rewrites intentionally universal creepypasta into a kind of horror that will only effect people with really specifically bad pasts. It's ridiculous to get scared from a TV show, but turning the basic trope of "it could happen... TO YOU!!" into "you had a OK past, you'll never see this stuff" make the plot predictable and makes the horror itself have way way less of an impact.

Accordion Man posted:

Other places I've seen say "launch exclusive", do you know if it might be that? Because I'm willing to wait for some Deadly Premonition. Also I'm going to be really pissed if it's a switch exclusive forever, because I'm funding his "take a nice European vacation and post selfies of your breakfast" game on the PC right now, when all I really wanted was DP2.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 6, 2019

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

GUI posted:

There's always time for a shocking swerve but Blair Witch might have the most heavily telegraphed twist I've seen in this type of game in a while 90 minutes into it. The killer, which you see in VHS tapes that the protagonist finds, has extremely similar clothing to him. Later on you find the body of one of your friends and the main character goes something along the lines of "whoever did this must've been someone he trusted to be able to get this close," later on you find a kid's drawing of an Evil Man and an Evil Dog. Your character has a dog companion. There's plenty of spooky visions of your character holding a gun while surrounded by corpses and cop cars. Plenty of lines too with double meaning that can be also understood as "I'm the killer!!! Also hallucinations with spooky voices asking the character about what he has done.

I don't like spoilers but this one is really worth reading before you buy the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DP1 was launch exclusive. No reason to assume that this would be handled differently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There’s not a lot info but it may be that Nintendo is footing the bill like they did with Bayonetta.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's made by the layers of fear team so just think about that.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I finished it just now (must've taken around 4 hours) and it was all right. Plenty of weird glitches - I resumed my save and couldn't choose my walkie talkie, inventory or cellphone. At some point I wasn't able to sprint and it fixed itself after a while - it wasn't scripted either. At the end of the game I started getting stuck between every doorway and the only "fix" that didn't involve going back to the main menu to lose nearly an hour of progress was crouching between doors. At another point I clipped through the ceiling then after managing to get unstuck I clipped through a wall and was forced to quit back to the main menu and reload, though thankfully that autosave (manual saves are just the autosave but in a permanent save slot) was only a minute back.
The first three hours are pretty standard Spooky Woods that's been done to death in the last decade, while the final hour is Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion + PT. Most of it is straight-forward enough but there's one or two annoying trial and error areas. Plot itself is pretty predictable as is the case with this type of game, though there's some neat surreal moments and multiple endings even if most of them are just lines of text. Nothing about it is offensive and I'm glad Bloober Team is still getting work since they're a small studio, but it's the kind of game you check if you really like the Blair Witch franchise or want to play another somewhat decent horror game.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Skyscraper posted:

I don't like spoilers but this one is really worth reading before you buy the game.

Agreed. This is such a tired trope in horror games that my curiosity about the game is completely dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dienes posted:

Agreed. This is such a tired trope in horror games that my curiosity about the game is completely dead now.

Yeah I'm glad I read that because my dying interest in that game is now completely gone.