Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

I made fun of star citizen in 2014 with my pathological vigor. AMA

Same. Vintage here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

MrOzzy posted:

Can someone please TL;DR 6,5k pages? Thank you!

Derek Smart called it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MrOzzy posted:

Scammer thwarted by publisher; 10 years later steals hundreds of millions with exact same scam by removing publisher from equation and targeting marks directly.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MrOzzy posted:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:five:

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Wow, I haven't posted in this thread for like 10 months.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

We've been missing some important quotes from our Star Citizen retrospective.

June 2016:

ManOfManyAliases posted:

I know I said it a number of times: I really expect at least a mission or two out of SQ42 this year as a teaser, with release of SQ42 next year (summer maybe)? And I'm thinking we'll enter beta by the end of next year with full release in 2018. That said, my 'oh-poo poo' moment will likely be observation of progress by end of Q2 next year: if procedural tech, netcode and and other gameplay mechanics aren't more refined at that point, it's probably too far past a salvage point. Then again, I fully expect the grey-market to still be a viable alternative to offload most of my assets, even by Summer of next year.

Jan 2017:

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

What's going on in this thread?

everyone is getting sentimental
thread caught some serious “end of the millenium“ feeling

i am crying too

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

boviscopophobic posted:

We've been missing some important quotes from our Star Citizen retrospective.

In the end, MoMA did in fact see "3.0", since CIG's modus operandi is to release whatever poo poo they want with whatever version number they feel like. It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict we'll probably see a great "4.0!" push before collapse. It will be the same poo poo it is now, but the number on the launcher will start with 4. If they remember that part at any rate.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I stumbled upon this video review of an autism chariot the other day, it made me think of you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0CHMYDIZg

I think it's this ship ?

There's everything, from the utter lack of self awareness needed to produce this 30 minutes wank with a straight face, overlooking the fact that there's absolutely no purpose for that ship ingame, to the dreams that people would actually want to crew this poo poo to be space peons for the space elite. Just lol. I kinda wish Star citizen would come out so we could grief these people now.

The impressions of the VIP guests as they enter the 890 Jump is how this video starts. The guy states that it's unlikely all the guests will arive at the same time.

OK, just gently caress off. The loving VIP guests might arive at different times.

Why do these guys want a game that just serves to show them what they wanted from their real lives but have failed to achieve? It's like controlling an avatar who's eating a delicious feast while I sit there with my controller eating a sandwich I got from the supermarket. It's not you, you're not eating the feast.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

I'm not buying PM powers just because the SCAM is falling apart. (Spent too much on avatar jpegs recently...)

Here's a great earlier one for your files:

Beautiful, thank you. Going to save all these links and compile them some day.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Raskolnikov posted:

I made fun of star citizen in 2014 with my pathological vigor. AMA

Same, but then I forgot about it for years until I heard the forum was closing.

Does anyone have that gif from 2013 or 14 with the guy sitting in his ship spazzing out? It used to be hosted at http://s18.postimg.org/qmjf35slj/INMAHSPACESHIPS.gif but that site's gone now and I didn't save it.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 5, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Peter.Quint posted:

The impressions of the VIP guests as they enter the 890 Jump is how this video starts. The guy states that it's unlikely all the guests will arive at the same time.

OK, just gently caress off. The loving VIP guests might arive at different times.

Why do these guys want a game that just serves to show them what they wanted from their real lives but have failed to achieve? It's like controlling an avatar who's eating a delicious feast while I sit there with my controller eating a sandwich I got from the supermarket. It's not you, you're not eating the feast.

There needs to be a word to convey this level of sadness. There's more self-respect in just sitting there with your gas station sandwich than there is in eating space caviar in a hot tub with your fidelitious commando. There's nothing wrong with ambition, and there's no shame in falling short. The shame comes in creating a virtual substitute and treating it like the real thing, with all the pompous and self-important behavior they think befits the station. The sad part is in real life many people who make it big remain humble. I guess it's probably good these guys had to settle for virtual achievement - based on that Kazan's behavior, I can't imagine what these people would be like if they accomplished anything for real.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I stumbled upon this video review of an autism chariot the other day, it made me think of you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0CHMYDIZg

I think it's this ship ?

There's everything, from the utter lack of self awareness needed to produce this 30 minutes wank with a straight face, overlooking the fact that there's absolutely no purpose for that ship ingame, to the dreams that people would actually want to crew this poo poo to be space peons for the space elite. Just lol. I kinda wish Star citizen would come out so we could grief these people now.

I actually like the video, because IMHO it actually does show quite a bit of self awareness.
They guy's operating on the "content creator bible" . Find some "defining" thing about you (an architect reviews.... ) and put your spin on the thing.
He doesn't need any of those "gameplay loops" or "fun" to make videos like that, and I'm pretty sure I heard of the guy actually promoting and hyping up the yacht video in streamer's channels before it was even released., so he has that whole "self promotion thing" down.
See, guys like him see this for what it is and exploit it , while people like twerk are having meltdowns on stream about the content drought while their viewership plummets.
I mean, this guy will go on to make "An architect reviews.....your starting apartment in Cyberpunk 2077" and drop Star Citizen once it stops providing 100 k views.

TL;DR : I'm willing to bet the guy doesn't care about Star Citizen, but about "muh kahntent" "muh engagemunt" "muh brand".

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One thing that amuses me highly about the 890 is that all the citizens want it to roleplay being a space oligarch while all the intended gameplay mechanics for it involve being a space chauffeur for NPC space oligarchs

(Not that any of these gameplay mechanics exist yet)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

UnknownTarget posted:

I did it. After three years of lurking this thread, I registered to post before it's gone.

I've had two dreams about Star Citizen this month. The most recent was at a small convention in the middle of nowhere. Chris Roberts was demonstrating the game in a cheesy low budget booth to a very small crowd of mostly incredulous people. The dream started with Borderlands. I was confused; I thought this was a Star Citizen presentation. Then I realized; Chris had spent his time developing the next "killer feature": a screen inside Star Citizen that lets you play other games while you wait for your quantum jumps to finish. The crowd was not happy as he proceeded to start selling more ship concepts, brand new for the convention.

For some reason my uncle in law was there and he was shocked and laughed out of sheer disbelief when I explained how some people paid up to $25,000 for those spaceship pictures.

Then some other stuff happened. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Welcome, new friend :wave:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

In case I never get another chance to say this to you - good bye thread. You were there for me when I was feeling down, and shared your happiness with me. We are destined for each other, be it in this life or the next.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's like the Flintstones, where every episode you see Fred on that dinosaur, moving a rock. Nothing is ever built, nothing ever gets done, there is no forward momentum. But something is always happening, there's movement and busywork and lots of spectacle. Just never any results - the status quo is maintained until the end of time.

Star Citizen is basically a sitcom about game development. If the game was ever made they'd have to cancel the show.

Busywork is basically Star Citizen in a nutshell. Instead of fun like a real game, they put in long travel times and busywork. Instead of actual progress toward a final product, Chris has everyone occupied with pointless busywork.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Awesome Fidelity posted:

It is the best AAAA+ thread i have ever posted in. I've got my :10bux: worth just reading the first page. Now it is getting better daily. Recently with the introduction of bear pics we get procedurally generated crobear pics almost every day. I could watch at bear pics for hours and i would never be bored. I don't mind that we didn't have a kayak report in the last few months. I am sure there are awesome photos of kayak being finished every week. We just have to be patient. Beet Wagon said the switch to the games subforum takes only two mods and a few hours. They just have to run a text search-and-replace from scam to game. Posting only really started after Derek was banned from the thread. Hairyballs was just a gimmick mode. We have already won.

This is a good post.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

MrOzzy posted:

D_Smart posted:

So our new contender for my WIP blog (latest PDF export) on the abusive White Knights in the Star Citizen community, is Nick Butler (that's him in the wheelchair)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is true, but for the layman that likes space dogfighting games it's completely understandable to be sold entirely on this. There's a sense from the original kickstarter of an actual game that could exist - not as well defined as many other kickstarted games, but it's there.

Yeah, but like I said, its only there if you believe Roberts. His initial kickstarter was real shady making it seem like the crytek mockup cutscene was already a playable alpha, but it wasn't.

Its all smoke and mirrors.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Since everyone here is reposting things they made, here's mine.

I can't wait to make a third one for 2020. See you in the 'verse.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sample_text posted:

They guy's operating on the "content creator bible" . Find some "defining" thing about you (an architect reviews.... ) and put your spin on the thing.
He doesn't need any of those "gameplay loops" or "fun" to make videos like that, and I'm pretty sure I heard of the guy actually promoting and hyping up the yacht video in streamer's channels before it was even released., so he has that whole "self promotion thing" down.

What *is* Leonard French talking about these days?

`Can LeBron James really Trademark #TacoTuesday?`

Ahh.

Lord Stimperor posted:

In case I never get another chance to say this to you - good bye thread. You were there for me when I was feeling down, and shared your happiness with me. We are destined for each other, be it in this life or the next.

We'll just get to radicalize the entirety of Games into a fighting force that the world hasn't seen since Commodore Jack 'gently caress'em up Jack' Hargreaves assembled his commando team to take on the task of sowing disorder before the Normandy landings.

Just got to stay ahead of the thread sheriffs.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Who here remembers B'tak?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LOL, David is starting to wonder where stuff is after 5 years.

Some SC backers aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed are they?

By the way, is David, Erris?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

By the way, is David, Erris?

Without the bowtie there is no way to know.

ImperfectTense
Sep 12, 2017
Here at the end of all things, I feel compelled to share my story. I never backed but I heard about this thing a few years ago and investigated and got caught in the insanity ever since.

It was all worth it for the Kayak pics though - that's my story.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

TheDarkFlame posted:

Judging by everything people who know about the forum code have said, and the actions of those who have had to work on it, I... don't think we'll find anyone who wants to run their forum website on the Awful Engine.

Why are you even here if you're going to be so negative?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One thing that amuses me highly about the 890 is that all the citizens want it to roleplay being a space oligarch while all the intended gameplay mechanics for it involve being a space chauffeur for NPC space oligarchs

(Not that any of these gameplay mechanics exist yet)

Temporarily embarrassed space millionaires.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Hav posted:

We'll just get to radicalize the entirety of Games into a fighting force that the world hasn't seen since Commodore Jack 'gently caress'em up Jack' Hargreaves assembled his commando team to take on the task of sowing disorder before the Normandy landings.

Ahh, the Fudakin.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, at least we'll have a fun new home in Games

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
See you all in games. I'm riding this train until it falls over the cliff finally

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mormonpartyboat posted:

DEREK loving SMART

lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's time for another summary of INSIDE STAR CITIZEN: the show about nothing!

In today's episode:
* We're talking about "Personal Commodity Inventory" which is a new bullshit term that CIG has made up and what it actually means is "An inventory like every other MMO for the last 30 years, but worse."
* It will be tier zero of course
* You can pick things up- but not, uh, not items like guns or magazines? This is a specialized inventory that "Only stores commodities" like uh, mining stuff.
* Why doesn't it store everything? (Hint: it is because CIG is completely incompetent and they are now fragmenting their inventory system into bespoke random layers, like the "Physical Inventory" for your guns and the "Commodity Inventory" for your rocks. This is extremely stupid.)
* I mean you're literally watching a company fail to make a simple inventory system in real time, while patting themselves on the back about it.
* They are doing this new inventory with a radial menu. You can put the things from the menu on the floor, or in a box. You can use boxed items on your ship to buy/sell them, I guess? This actually sounds like it'd be fine if it were the one and only inventory system.

* Oh boy time to look at some SPACESHIPS. Looks like the Vanguard Sentinel is getting a new paint job. I like that the name doesn't make any sense. Is it at the forefront of an attack or is it a vigilant defender? Who cares! gently caress you! It has large glowing interior terminals now- they are very pretty, and there are no mechanics attached to them. The artist "Imagines" that in the future they "Might be replaced with diagnostics that give you... relevant information." Yes, I also imagine that about your youtube shows.
* Don't worry, the Vanguard Sentinel still gets to keep its bed and galley! I know you were concerned about that.
* But what about the Vanguard Harbinger? It has a new interior with a plexiglass window so you can watch it... fire torpedos? Is... does anyone care about standing in the middle of a ship, watching the guns fire? I am bewildered.

* Oh good another stupidly named thing, "Within Proximity Assist," which is a bullshit term that CIG has made up as well. What it actually means is: "Holy poo poo the hover mode we introduced last patch is awful and everyone hates it."
* The "Helicopter aspect" of hover mode has been removed! It wasn't intuitive and wasn't achieving what they wanted! Why did they loving introduce it then! It's like they don't test anything!
* "Softer, more believable, more realistic flying" is the new promise. It was also the old promise. I'm sure they aren't going to gently caress this one up.
* The goal is to decrease the ship's ability to thrust and accelerate when it's... close to the ground? Huh, okay. They are literally going to force you to fly the way they think you should. I wonder if they've actually tested this reduction in agility against all those ground attack missions where you have to shoot like 6 turrets. Two bucks says they forgot those missions existed.
* "This fits better with the lore of the game." It's funny because it kind of sounds like you'd say that about loving anything. It sounds a LOT more like "It fits better with marketing's vision of not upsetting literally every remaining whale by adding flight-sim mechanics to their flight-sim game."

Aaaand that's it! gently caress you if you expected progress!

deej
May 29, 2003

hibjibbity
Never posted in here but chiming in to give thanks to those who have kept these threads going the last how many years - I check this dumb thing every day and it never fails to make me laugh.

Biggest highlight had to be the ramp incident when the wheels literally came off the presentation, with the distressed demoer’s “noooooooo~~

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm gonna guess, without having looked at the response yet, that the fans will love this ISC, since their expectations were lowered after the last 2 fiascos and they're pretty content-starved right now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

Without the bowtie there is no way to know.

By day he's the mild mannered David, by night the bow tie and fez go on and he's the mild mannered Erris

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

I like that the name doesn't make any sense. Is it at the forefront of an attack or is it a vigilant defender?

A sentinel is someone that keeps watch, so in this case it's supposed to be the first line of defense. :eng101: Don't say that SC doesn't teach you new things. And now... some Xi'an lessons

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

It's time for another summary of INSIDE STAR CITIZEN: the show about nothing!

In today's episode:
* We're talking about "Personal Commodity Inventory" which is a new bullshit term that CIG has made up and what it actually means is "An inventory like every other MMO for the last 30 years, but worse."
* It will be tier zero of course
* You can pick things up- but not, uh, not items like guns or magazines? This is a specialized inventory that "Only stores commodities" like uh, mining stuff.
* Why doesn't it store everything? (Hint: it is because CIG is completely incompetent and they are now fragmenting their inventory system into bespoke random layers, like the "Physical Inventory" for your guns and the "Commodity Inventory" for your rocks. This is extremely stupid.)
* I mean you're literally watching a company fail to make a simple inventory system in real time, while patting themselves on the back about it.
* They are doing this new inventory with a radial menu. You can put the things from the menu on the floor, or in a box. You can use boxed items on your ship to buy/sell them, I guess? This actually sounds like it'd be fine if it were the one and only inventory system.

* Oh boy time to look at some SPACESHIPS. Looks like the Vanguard Sentinel is getting a new paint job. I like that the name doesn't make any sense. Is it at the forefront of an attack or is it a vigilant defender? Who cares! gently caress you! It has large glowing interior terminals now- they are very pretty, and there are no mechanics attached to them. The artist "Imagines" that in the future they "Might be replaced with diagnostics that give you... relevant information." Yes, I also imagine that about your youtube shows.
* Don't worry, the Vanguard Sentinel still gets to keep its bed and galley! I know you were concerned about that.
* But what about the Vanguard Harbinger? It has a new interior with a plexiglass window so you can watch it... fire torpedos? Is... does anyone care about standing in the middle of a ship, watching the guns fire? I am bewildered.

* Oh good another stupidly named thing, "Within Proximity Assist," which is a bullshit term that CIG has made up as well. What it actually means is: "Holy poo poo the hover mode we introduced last patch is awful and everyone hates it."
* The "Helicopter aspect" of hover mode has been removed! It wasn't intuitive and wasn't achieving what they wanted! Why did they loving introduce it then! It's like they don't test anything!
* "Softer, more believable, more realistic flying" is the new promise. It was also the old promise. I'm sure they aren't going to gently caress this one up.
* The goal is to decrease the ship's ability to thrust and accelerate when it's... close to the ground? Huh, okay. They are literally going to force you to fly the way they think you should. I wonder if they've actually tested this reduction in agility against all those ground attack missions where you have to shoot like 6 turrets. Two bucks says they forgot those missions existed.
* "This fits better with the lore of the game." It's funny because it kind of sounds like you'd say that about loving anything. It sounds a LOT more like "It fits better with marketing's vision of not upsetting literally every remaining whale by adding flight-sim mechanics to their flight-sim game."

Aaaand that's it! gently caress you if you expected progress!

Hold on, wasn’t this ISC going to be focused on info about roadmap and progress for 3.7 etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Dafaq??? :stonk:

The world salad about " "Personal Commodity Inventory"" in today's ISC was a whole new level even for CIG.