Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It Came From the Paradox Interactive Forums:

"Difference between feudal kingsdom and Eastern Roman empire

More specifically, the inheritance wars and incessant infighting.
Why was it such a problem for the Byzantines (and Western Rome alike) and was it much less a problem in the feudal kingdoms?"

lemme stop you right there friend

I'm working on a tabletop RPG campaign set in 1423 Europe. Picked the date at random so I started looking up what the world was like at the time. King Henry V got promised the crown of France during their war in the hopes of creating peace, then both he and the French king died at the same time. The Dauphin Charles VII calls bullshit and runs away to declare himself the rightful king and continues the war to decide who gets to keep France.

This was one of the simpler questions of succession between medieval England and France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

they run out of supplies and they goddamn die

he gets them hooked on pasta and their supply trains die due to sudden doubling of water requirements

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Platystemon posted:

He said “tactics”, not “strategy”. :smuggo:

:nsavince:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tias posted:

he gets them hooked on pasta and their supply trains die due to sudden doubling of water requirements

I see you, too, have played Campaign for North Africa.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ynglaur posted:

I see you, too, have played Campaign for North Africa.

I’m seriously considering finding an artist to draw military Mario dying in the desert clutching a handful of dry spaghetti while Mussolini-Luigi looks on from the sky with “That’s how it be in beach of an earth”.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't get it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There was an old board game called Campaign for North Africa. It was one of those games with a map overlaid with hexagons and little square cardboard pieces representing military units. It was a war game simulating the North Africa campaign during WW2. It was notorious for being the most complex game ever produced in that genre.

It had a rule covering the impact on the water supply of Italian units based on whether or not they received their pasta ration.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
(dry pasta was in fact not issued in the desert)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Though the Italians were using horse-drawn logistics in the desert, which is a terribly rough scene for the poor animals.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The pasta ration came canned in sauce. You can just heat it up.

(Lol at americans who believe that myth. Where I grew up we were heating up chef boyardee and spaghetti-os on desert and mountain nights by age 8, southwest rep)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I know Classical India is light on primary sources for such topics, but is there any real information on how the Yaudheya Gana functioned?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the pasta came with sauce, it should still affect the water requirements but in the other direction.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

If the pasta came with sauce, it should still affect the water requirements but in the other direction.

What if it was over salted and gave you the runs

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m seriously considering finding an artist to draw military Mario dying in the desert clutching a handful of dry spaghetti while Mussolini-Luigi looks on from the sky with “That’s how it be in beach of an earth”.

I think Tias was saying they don’t get this, not the pasta in the desert, considering they made the reference to it in the first place. I also do not get it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pontius Pilate posted:

I think Tias was saying they don’t get this, not the pasta in the desert, considering they made the reference to it in the first place. I also do not get it.
There was an American Super Mario cartoon back in the 80s featuring a wrestler, Lou Albano, and a scriptwriter who made Mario talk a lot about pasta. "If the food isn't pasta, it doesn't count!" "Pasta power!" etc.

Thus Mario is more clearly associated with Italian-American identity in the American media sphere.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mamma Mia

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

We in archaeology without written documents land really need to stop giving culturally loaded names to things. I just worked on an Ancestral Pueblo "shrine", called a "shrine" because it is a structure, not a Great House or Great Kiva and it is associated with a road alignment.

It had 2m high walls, no entrances, was disassembled at some point, and had a grand total of 20 artifacts or so, all little ceramic sherds and lithic flakes. Honestly I don't see why we'd call it a shrine and not just use "herradura", "zambullida", or "avanzada" even though those are also loaded terms. Descendants also don't really have a full understanding of what these things were used for, and these Chaco era structures differ from later shrines.

We just gotta dig more, only two of these things have been excavated.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

We in archaeology without written documents land really need to stop giving culturally loaded names to things. I just worked on an Ancestral Pueblo "shrine", called a "shrine" because it is a structure, not a Great House or Great Kiva and it is associated with a road alignment.

It had 2m high walls, no entrances, was disassembled at some point, and had a grand total of 20 artifacts or so, all little ceramic sherds and lithic flakes. Honestly I don't see why we'd call it a shrine and not just use "herradura", "zambullida", or "avanzada" even though those are also loaded terms. Descendants also don't really have a full understanding of what these things were used for, and these Chaco era structures differ from later shrines.

could have just as easily been a hot dog stand

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KiteAuraan posted:

What are the politics here? Is the local descendant community invested in it being a shrine, view it as an important relic of their ancestors, etc? I can just see some unfortunate pushback from the community if you're trying to explain that the thing they've been telling their kids for generations was a sacred ancestral shrine is really a grain silo or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Curious too since I don't know much about the subject. Is it a "ritual purposes" deal that now you know is wrong? Is shrine just a loaded term but it's a religious site? I can see the logic of using a more familiar word even if it's not quite accurate in public-facing media. Unless it's just wildly inaccurate.

Of course I also grind my teeth every time I see the word Byzantine, so. :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What do you guys think is going to happen after the upcoming civilizational collapse in the next 300 years?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What’s a good source on medieval English currency and its use in peasant life

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

What are the politics here? Is the local descendant community invested in it being a shrine, view it as an important relic of their ancestors, etc? I can just see some unfortunate pushback from the community if you're trying to explain that the thing they've been telling their kids for generations was a sacred ancestral shrine is really a grain silo or something.

The best I can find is that like most Ancestral Pueblo structures, it is viewed as a sacred stopping point of the ancestors on their migrations to the Center Place, but that the exact use isn't really discussed.

The way Pueblo peoples view their ancestors and their relationship with them means all aspects of a settlement or stopping place is sacred. Trash middens, fields, storage rooms, kivas, burials, all viewed as sacred. Their is a belief the ancestor's spirits still live there and are active and preserving these places until the soil reclaims them is important.

The designation as shrines came from archaeologists in the 1960s, who were looking at them through a global perspective and applying what they thought the use was based on cross-cultural comparisons. There are issues with this, especially that they do not resemble any ethnographic or known archaeological shrine in the region.

Grand Fromage posted:

Curious too since I don't know much about the subject. Is it a "ritual purposes" deal that now you know is wrong? Is shrine just a loaded term but it's a religious site? I can see the logic of using a more familiar word even if it's not quite accurate in public-facing media. Unless it's just wildly inaccurate.

Sort of the former. They are associated with Chaco roads, which usually lead to Great Houses or Great Kivas over short distances and aren't really "roads" in the sense of say, Roman road networks. The North and South Roads are the longest, and even they seem to be sacred paths that travel 55km to end at unique topographic features to the north and south Chaco Canyon. So they seem to have some special use. The one I worked at sits on a road like that, a very short one that runs between the south ridge of this village, across to the north hill Great Kiva. But we have no idea what the actual use was, heck, the other excavated example is at a minimum 100 years later than ours, a completely different shape, and it had a whole ceramic vessel, turquoise offerings and a stone bowl in a vault with more turquoise.

We can rule out granary just based on an absence of leftover anything food related. Even open-site storage rooms have some maize kernals or burnt stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

Every time. It's not like there's some other Roman empire it needs to be distinguished from either, since everybody always uses Holy Roman Empire to talk about that other one.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Every time. It's not like there's some other Roman empire it needs to be distinguished from either, since everybody always uses Holy Roman Empire to talk about that other one.
lol in period german sources you can only tell the difference between das römische reich and das römische reich from context

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jazerus posted:

could have just as easily been a hot dog stand

Proof Pre-Contact Pueblo Indians had pigs!

Grand Fromage posted:

True it should be referred to as the Empire of the Greeks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

KiteAuraan posted:

Please tell me all the lithic flakes were shatter.

Edit: and that the ceramics were all non diag.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you guys think is going to happen after the upcoming civilizational collapse in the next 300 years?

Futurism seems like the opposite of history, but after every great civilizational collapse there has been a slow recovery period and eventually the creation of new societies based on modern principles. The Bronze Age Collapse was followed by cultures that were flexible, less centralized, more diverse, and fundamentally better equipped at dealing with the ecological, technological, and economic changes that had devastated their forebearers. The same could be said for the societal collapses occuring after the fall of the Western Roman Empire, or the onset of the Black Death pandemic, or even to a lesser extent the conclusion of the World Wars.

With all that in mind, I would focus my futuristic attentions on the systems at play that are being challenged. International governments are already grappling with climate change, and that will only become more challenging. And capitalist economies are beginning to choke as increasing automation erodes the value of labor. Finally the highly-interconnected nature of modern society is also proving to be a major vulnerability - allowing minor weak links to threaten global structures (whether we're talking about media propaganda, digital crimes, financial crashes, etc.)

If these societal flaws ultimately lead to a major collapse, I would expect future successful societies to directly address them in some fashion. But accurately predicting the future that far out is impossible so I won't try to pretend I can.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Basically read Desert

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Basically read Desert

The zine? Haven't seen or heard it being mentioned anywhere for a long time.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

Please tell me all the lithic flakes were shatter.

Edit: and that the ceramics were all non diag.

Entirely non-diagnostic ceramics, just Pueblo II Indented Corrugated and Pueblo II White Unpainted, the flakes were actual flakes. Only dating of the structure is by everything around it, which actually have all yielded nicely diagnostic stuff. Lots of Mancos Corrugated rims and very temporally restricted variants of decorated stuff.

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Basically read Desert

It's a good read, but bleak.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
It was a toll booth

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Morholt posted:

(dry pasta was in fact not issued in the desert)

The genre of hyper-simulationist war games didn't let a pesky thing like accuracy (or playability) get in the way of a game that can grind to a halt because an individual jeep in your supply line popped a flat.

https://kotaku.com/the-notorious-board-game-that-takes-1500-hours-to-compl-1818510912

quote:

“Every military division has a sheet of paper, and on it you’ve got a box for every battalion. It’ll tell you how many guns you have, but more interestingly, it’ll also list the fuel and water. Every game turn, three percent of the fuel evaporates, unless you’re the British before a certain date, because they used 50-gallon drums instead of jerry cans. So instead, seven percent of their fuel evaporates,” explains Phipps. “Every loving turn you go around and make a pencil note of how much fuel you have. The pasta rule is funny, but this is what the game is about. Just doing tedious calculations all the time.”

quote:

The flight units are handled as individual planes and individual pilots, which is outstandingly fussy, even for wargame standards.)

Campaign for North Africa was generally made as a joke/sendup of its own genre, which by that time had been going strong for many decades. But the most dedicated board gamers love to go down esoteric rabbit holes, attempting to play and mod anything they like the gist of into a workable game, even and especially if the base material is plainly awful. The more ambitious the job it would be, the better; the act of sharing a vision perfected among a group of contemporaries is what drives a lot of this.

This is fun reading (the story of H.G. Wells modding a famously clunky war game from the 1800s, Kriegspiel):

http://faculty.virginia.edu/setear/students/wargames/page1a.htm

quote:

Hobby gaming and professional gaming were largely inseparable during the early days of wargaming, but by 1913, the year when H.G. Wells (an ardent pacifist) published the rules for his game Little Wars, it was clear that two camps had developed. Little Wars was (and is) a combat game played with miniature figures. Wells spent the majority of his book detailing rules for combat, movement, and capture. After observing that all the military officers who had played his game found its simple rules too confusing to grasp, Wells remarked in his concluding paragraph:

Great War is at present, I am convinced, not only the most expensive game in the universe, but it is a game out of all proportion. Not only are the masses of men and material and suffering and inconvenience too monstrously big for reason, but—the available heads we have for it, are too small. That, I think, is the most pacific realization conceivable, and Little War brings you to it as nothing else but Great War can do.

Wells’ books demonstrated that extensively detailed wargames of the Kriegspiel model could be played, enjoyed, and popularized as games, rather than as professional instruments. Wells protested in an appendix that his game was “not a book upon Kriegspiel” and that it was “merely a game.”

Despite this stated “game” focus, even Little Wars could not divorce itself from professional wargaming. In his appendix, Wells went on to relate that those military officers with which he had corresponded had “pointed out the possibility of developing Little Wars into a vivid and inspiring Kriegspiel” unlike the “dull and unsatisfactory exercise, lacking in realism, in stir and the unexpected” that characterized professional military Kriegspiel. Thus, Wells implied that Little Wars was in many ways superior to the professional game than Kriegspiel at the time, especially in “waking up the imagination.”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The funny thing is that all this little fiddly bullshit was completely doable with even a fairly basic computer by our modern standards... except that I think games like that never really caught on, probably in part because they are boring.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

quote:

“Every military division has a sheet of paper, and on it you’ve got a box for every battalion. It’ll tell you how many guns you have, but more interestingly, it’ll also list the fuel and water. Every game turn, three percent of the fuel evaporates, unless you’re the British before a certain date, because they used 50-gallon drums instead of jerry cans. So instead, seven percent of their fuel evaporates,” explains Phipps. “Every loving turn you go around and make a pencil note of how much fuel you have. The pasta rule is funny, but this is what the game is about. Just doing tedious calculations all the time.”

Drums or four‐gallon “flimsies”?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KiteAuraan posted:

The best I can find is that like most Ancestral Pueblo structures, it is viewed as a sacred stopping point of the ancestors on their migrations to the Center Place, but that the exact use isn't really discussed.

The way Pueblo peoples view their ancestors and their relationship with them means all aspects of a settlement or stopping place is sacred. Trash middens, fields, storage rooms, kivas, burials, all viewed as sacred. Their is a belief the ancestor's spirits still live there and are active and preserving these places until the soil reclaims them is important.

The designation as shrines came from archaeologists in the 1960s, who were looking at them through a global perspective and applying what they thought the use was based on cross-cultural comparisons. There are issues with this, especially that they do not resemble any ethnographic or known archaeological shrine in the region.

Sort of the former. They are associated with Chaco roads, which usually lead to Great Houses or Great Kivas over short distances and aren't really "roads" in the sense of say, Roman road networks. The North and South Roads are the longest, and even they seem to be sacred paths that travel 55km to end at unique topographic features to the north and south Chaco Canyon. So they seem to have some special use. The one I worked at sits on a road like that, a very short one that runs between the south ridge of this village, across to the north hill Great Kiva. But we have no idea what the actual use was, heck, the other excavated example is at a minimum 100 years later than ours, a completely different shape, and it had a whole ceramic vessel, turquoise offerings and a stone bowl in a vault with more turquoise.

We can rule out granary just based on an absence of leftover anything food related. Even open-site storage rooms have some maize kernals or burnt stuff.

Sounds like a souvenir-shop selling poo poo to people traveling to and from the sacred sites

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Any civilization that comes after us is gonna have a hard time of it without easy access to coal and oil which helped push technological progress way forward.
Imagine trying to live your life without plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VanSandman posted:

Any civilization that comes after us is gonna have a hard time of it without easy access to coal and oil which helped push technological progress way forward.
Imagine trying to live your life without plastic.

I’d be more concerned about metals.

We’re not literally burning them up like fossil fuels, but our landfills will only last so long and go so far.