Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

This has been your Cubs FactTM for the day.
big congratulations to Cubs superhero Kyle Schwarber, for slightly out-hitting scrap-heap pick up Max Muncy who is currently on the IL with a wrist injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:catstare:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

https://twitter.com/SmittyOnMLB/status/1169346889277485057?s=20

:ughh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Well if we're not making the playoffs we're going to make it as painful as possible for as many as possible" - exactly what you would expect out of the BoSox

https://mobile.twitter.com/pitchingninja/status/1168859265005756416

lol how does anyone ever hit a baseball

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1169645964996567041?s=09

They're finally replacing his pitching bone

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 5, 2019

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Going to the game at Fenway on Saturday... will bring a book. Also something to shield myself from all the stuff that will be thrown at me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I might actually not watch a Yankees - Boston game for the first time in years....

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That Twitter thread gave me the best laugh I've had all day. Everyone's calling the manager of a 108 win team irrelevant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zigmidge posted:

That Twitter thread gave me the best laugh I've had all day. Everyone's calling the manager of a 108 win team irrelevant.

You think he's doing a much worse job this year than he did last year?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Enjoy it while it lasts because next year the September 40-man roster expansion is officially :rip:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

mcmagic posted:

You think he's doing a much worse job this year than he did last year?

Hi mcmagic, show your work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In a world full of "What have you done for me lately?" sports fans, Boston somehow always ends up being the most "What have you done for me lately?" city on the planet.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

zoux posted:

11 Phils (127 ERA+)

Sometimes I think about the Giants 2011 rotation. They're not very high on this list because WAR adjusts for home ballpark, and also is a bad stat

but check these ERAs. Then check the W-L records, lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Hi mcmagic, show your work.

Huh? I asked you a question.

Inspector_666 posted:

In a world full of "What have you done for me lately?" sports fans, Boston somehow always ends up being the most "What have you done for me lately?" city on the planet.

No fanbase deserves their success less.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1169634666078441474

I don't see Strasburg actually leaving the Nats so much as I see him trying to negotiate a better deal, but he would certainly shake up the FA market for starters, which currently sits at "Gerrit Cole, and uh..."

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

No fanbase deserves their success less.

Yankees

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

When I went to see the Sox play the Tigers in July I sat near some Boston fans who were talking poo poo about Cora and I wanted to punch them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

howe_sam posted:

When I went to see the Sox play the Tigers in July I sat near some Boston fans who were talking poo poo about Cora and I wanted to punch them.

The send-off that Tito got was shameful.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1169634666078441474

I don't see Strasburg actually leaving the Nats so much as I see him trying to negotiate a better deal, but he would certainly shake up the FA market for starters, which currently sits at "Gerrit Cole, and uh..."

What a completely useless tweet. He can opt-out or sign an extensions. No loving poo poo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Since July 1st Kyle Schwarber has a higher wRC+ than Paul Goldschmidt, Gleyber Torres, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Nolan Arenado, and Max Muncy:

https://twitter.com/mauro_erik/status/1169224410206789632
https://twitter.com/mauro_erik/status/1169224564943085570
https://twitter.com/mauro_erik/status/1169225200304611330

This has been your Cubs FactTM for the day.

He also has a higher OPS than Castellanos since the trade.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing (beyond him hitting another HR), Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Simon has to getting up there as one of the worst trades this decade

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Apropos of nothing (beyond him hitting another HR), Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Simon has to getting up there as one of the worst trades this decade

I never knew how the Reds acquired Suarez until now. This is incredible.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tom Gorman posted:

I never knew how the Reds acquired Suarez until now. This is incredible.

You should check out his contract

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Reading this as "If we can't make the playoffs then gently caress you"

e: beaten

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

:hmmyes:

Also, Springer diagnosed with "mild concussion", Luhnow says possibly back next week but there were some angry tweet responses about a mandatory 7 day IL stint for a concussion dx?

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 5, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

It's also going to make Manfred's head explode which is okay in my book.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
:alert: new co-worker who is an ancient old person is convinced steroids didn't help anyone hit home runs because muscles don't let you see the ball!!

Argument right now is that neither bonds nor mcgwire benefited from roids

I'm in awe

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yankees haven't won the world series in over 10 years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Thank God

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mastershakeman posted:

:alert: new co-worker who is an ancient old person is convinced steroids didn't help anyone hit home runs because muscles don't let you see the ball!!

I'm in awe

In awe because an old man isn't bitching about how steroids ruined the pure and clean sport of based balls?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Thoughts and prayers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

nice try, but November 4th 2009 was 9 years, 10, months, and 1 day ago.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the popes toes posted:

Thoughts and prayers

Thank you for your kind words, it has been a hard time for me and my family.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Hopefully we can keep the streak going and go for 11.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm in awe

Personally I'm annoyed at how much the seeing the ball well era ruined the sanctity of the sport, all these guys who saw the ball so well don't deserve the hall imo, unfair to the other guys who couldn't see the ball as well as them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sydin posted:

Personally I'm annoyed at how much the seeing the ball well era ruined the sanctity of the sport, all these guys who saw the ball so well don't deserve the hall imo, unfair to the other guys who couldn't see the ball as well as them.

The late 60s and early 70s, when the smog laden air reduced the ability of hitters to see the ball well, was truly a pitcher friendly time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

mastershakeman posted:

I'm in awe

It let them play longer and recover from injuries better but yeah the main cause of the home run boom was expansion and subsequent watering down of pitching talent. Your coworker sounds cool tbh, sorry.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Lumpy posted:

The late 60s and early 70s, when the smog laden air reduced the ability of hitters to see the ball well, was truly a pitcher friendly time.

The 20s where in addition to being, you know, deadballs, spitballs were legal and the balls were the color of tobacco spit

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intruder posted:

The 20s where in addition to being, you know, deadballs, spitballs were legal and the balls were the color of tobacco spit

But to counter that, the hitters were drunk and fat, so it all evened out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Remember last month when Molly Knight dropped this galaxy brain take on twitter and everyone told her how stupid and bootlicking it was??

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/1162799986167300096?s=2

She decided to lean in and write a lovely column about it

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/1169705785909116928?s=21

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Darren O'Day has been called up to Atlanta, this could get interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I don’t think that thinking about value that way is weird at all, like not one bit. Fangraphs does a trade value article that uses contract details to help set the value and nobody thinks that’s bootlicking or whatever the gently caress

If two players are equally good, literally the same player, and one makes 0 dollars and the other makes 30 million, doesn’t the one making nothing offer more value to the team?