Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ok just reading about the UK for the first time and what's up with that little tiny piece of the island they have next to them? Northern Ireland is a part of the UK? But just that little tiny part?

Really weird setup, I think I'd be super mad about that if I were Irish. Did they just try to invade and that's as far as they got or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oliwan posted:

Why is it so difficult for americans to understand the ceremonial role of the monarchy

We keep being distracted by the fact that you still have an entirely unguillotined monarch in TYoOL 2019, complete with a set of equally unguillotined lords who apparently have actual loving power

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what the gently caress is with his hair, does he not own a comb or hairbrush?

A good distinctive character design is one that a 5 year old can draw from memory. He’s a posh Tory dickhead so beards and face tattoos are out, as is blatantly dying your hair - That leaves either a terrible haircut or a hitler mustache.

The mustache comes later.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what the gently caress is with his hair, does he not own a comb or hairbrush?

he messes it up on purpose because it makes the press treat him like an eccentric goofball

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Pryor on Fire posted:

Ok just reading about the UK for the first time and what's up with that little tiny piece of the island they have next to them? Northern Ireland is a part of the UK? But just that little tiny part?

Really weird setup, I think I'd be super mad about that if I were Irish. Did they just try to invade and that's as far as they got or something?

Ireland rented out their unused top half but then the british wouldnt leave and have squatters rights

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sometimes it just boggles my mind how much stuff the attlee government just sort of did

it might have been one of the most effective five years of any government ever, unless one counts genocide as a policy

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

loquacius posted:

what's up UK thread, is it still Wednesday in here or what

did I do this right

Kaedric has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Sep 6, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm still super confused as to why the queen got dragged into this and supposedly approved the decision to suspend parliament. Did that just never really get written about or we are just pretending it never happened or what was the deal there?

Look, they are starting a new round (or “rogue”) of parliament, so they need to “prorogue” it. But the only one with any power ceremonially is the queen. So she must ceremonially give away her power to the parliament, so she must be involved. And where does the queen get her power? From her ancestors who are buried in a “cairn” or stone tomb under Buckingham palace, which represents the realm of the dead. But the living can only cross the bridge between the realms of the living and the dead in the darkest phase of the lunar cycle, a.k.a. the “New Moon.” To guarantee that she will have enough time to do this, she is given 4 weeks (28 days, one full lunar cycle) to do the ritual in the cairn, plus one more week to prepare the speech. This is why there are 5 weeks of proroguement. On the night of the new moon she consults with the spirits of her ancestors in the cairn, and “charges up” the Golden Mace with parliamentary authority from the collective ancestors of the crown. Then she delivers a speech and the mace is returned to the House of Commons, newly recharged with ancient authority, and a new session (or “rogue”) of parliament can begin. The queen is the only one who can wear the crown, and thus the only one who contact the dead monarchs on the New Moon, so it is essential that she is involved. It may be largely ceremonial, but failing to comply would be a violation of the Druidic code by which Parliament functions, and if they didn’t do this, the whole house of commons would be considered “tainted” and they would have to ceremonially sacrifice them and throw them into a bog. This would require an entire set of local elections to be done, and even more delays (to prepare them for sacrifice, etc.), it would really be a giant headache.

British parliamentary procedure may seem a bit old-fashioned at times, but it’s not as complicated as it seems, and really quite logical, and when you think about it it’s ultimately not very different from the American system.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

sometimes it just boggles my mind how much stuff the attlee government just sort of did

it might have been one of the most effective five years of any government ever, unless one counts genocide as a policy

It really does. It's also what a lot of people (me included) are realising from all these Brexit shenanigans - that when you strip away all the convention and non-binding-but-traditional procedure, a British government with a strong majority can do virtually anything it wants, because it can just rewrite any rules it wishes with a 50%+1 majority.

Of course that's slightly terrifying to consider with the wrong sort of government, but it explains how the Attlee ministry was able to do so much radical stuff - it wanted to and not much could get in it's way. Nationalise the entire transport infrastructure of the nation? Yep. Create an all-encompassing cradle-to-grave welfare state? Done! Embark on a massive country-wide housebuilding programme? Consider it done! Introduce a 75% top tax rate? Try and stop us! Radically reform the education system? Already on it! Capital controls? What u gonna do about it?

The only reason no other government has gone quite so change-crazy is because they either lacked the political power or the will to use it since the status quo suits them very nicely, thanks.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Twitter has been completely taken over by snark and sarcasm and generally lovely comments, this combined with the legendary British wittiness and snark and sarcasm is just the perfect storm of disinformation. It's literally impossible to learn anything about this event, all articles and commentary are completely indistinguishable from sarcasm.

It's like a black hole of information sarcasm now, nothing escapes and no new info is created, only destroyed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

oliwan posted:

Why is it so difficult for americans to understand the ceremonial role of the monarchy

because its stupid as gently caress that you haven't beheaded them in the past 200 years

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

you almost got rid of them but then you had the stupid idea of inviting them back after you killed charles

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

The English invaded Ireland just to stop the Spanish from trying to establish a foothold. And got the whole island, as the irish were bog men tribal at the time.
Then they spent centuries treating the Irish like poo poo, even more so when the Famine happened, until the Irish booted them out at the start of the 1900s.
But they wanted to keep the rich parts of it, the shipping cities and trading centers in the north, where most of the english descended lived.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i mean my only slight hesitation about abolishing the royal family is that I can't decide whether they ought to be publicly guillotined or ignominiously shot to death in a cellar in deepest darkest Yorkshire, but I would 100% take a powerless figurehead monarch and a parliamentary system that explicitly recognises that you can do whatever you want if you can get people to vote for it over whatever the gently caress they've got going on in America

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm still super confused as to why the queen got dragged into this and supposedly approved the decision to suspend parliament. Did that just never really get written about or we are just pretending it never happened or what was the deal there?

It's really simple. Like the president taking the census data and handing it over to Congress, the queen has some ceremonial duties in the running of the British democracy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you want some inane weird part of the US system where people have oversized power that is actually a simple ceremonial formality that nobody pays attention to look no further than the electoral college’s electors.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Brits continuing to ignore the evidence that your monarchy isn't quite as ceremonial as you all insist is the least unusual thing about 2019.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Family Values posted:

Brits continuing to ignore the evidence that your monarchy isn't quite as ceremonial as you all insist is the least unusual thing about 2019.

yeah, i can't believe they still let the queen have all the swans

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if its just ceremonial replace them with homer's drinking bird and be done with it

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
we won't know until they test it what happens if they actually try ruling again and until then they have an unacceptable level of influence because of their massive inherited wealth and being able to write/say poo poo in private to politicians, but I'm not sure the American aristocracy is much better because they happen to be the descendants of people who were extremely cunty in the 19th and 20th centuries as opposed to people who were really cunty in centuries 10 to 20

twoday
May 4, 2005

The US has a magical ceremonial mace that grants congress authority as well, btw

quote:

In one of its first resolutions, the U.S. House of Representatives of the 1st Federal Congress (April 14, 1789) established the Office of the Sergeant at Arms. The resolution stated "a proper symbol of office shall be provided for the Sergeant at Arms, of such form and device as the Speaker shall direct."

For daily sessions of the House, the Sergeant carries the silver and ebony mace of the House in front of the Speaker, in procession to the rostrum. When the House is in session, the mace stands on a cylindrical pedestal of green marble to the Speaker's right. When the House is in committee, it is moved to a lowered position on a pedestal next to the Sergeant at Arms' desk, more or less out of sight.

In accordance with the House Rules, on the rare occasion that a member becomes unruly, the Sergeant at Arms, upon order of the Speaker, lifts the mace from its pedestal and presents it before the offenders, thereby restoring order.

It’s really no different than the way the British Mace works, people just talk about it way less. All governments have silly ceremonial procedures that they have accumulated over time.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twoday posted:

The US has a magical ceremonial mace that grants congress authority as well, btw

It’s really no different than the way the British Mace works, people just talk about it way less. All governments have silly ceremonial procedures that they have accumulated over time.

It's "based on the Roman fasces," huh

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

redleader posted:

yeah, i can't believe they still let the queen have all the swans

Please, it's only the unmarked mute swans.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if its just ceremonial replace them with homer's drinking bird and be done with it

agreed

although we've already got a mace that is the queen, so we just need to get rid of the actual physical queen and her reptilian spawn and you probably don't even need to change any actual laws

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you just noticed the fascist symbols

twoday
May 4, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

While only based on it, there are two unambiguous literal fasces on the wall behind it which flank the speaker

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it didn’t really have the same connotations until Mussolini

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
im learning so much today (wednesday)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

the US Senate needs a wool sack too. Make sure that the left side of it is good and mic'd up for making comments.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigPaulieDoyle/status/1169529997935239168

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Yeah lol, swans, oh and also veto power over new laws.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twoday posted:

While only based on it, there are two unambiguous literal fasces on the wall behind it which flank the speaker

and a fourth fasces in the capitol building's huge ceiling painting of george washington's literally becoming a god. they're like hidden mickeys at disneyworld

K9
May 6, 2007

Kaedric posted:

did I do this right

no you should have used "img" tags not "url"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

hobbesmaster posted:

it didn’t really have the same connotations until Mussolini

Yeah, fasces were a pretty common symbol in trade unionism before Mussolini

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you're new to Brexit I'd recommend going through the beginner levels before trying to tackle the advanced missions like Northern Ireland.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Hey, not sure if my save can be salvaged or what. I seem to have fallen into some sort of glitch. Brexit keeps approaching, but every time I try to do something to stop it, it just fails automatically and starts me over again. Weirdly, last time it happened, it also added 6 months to the timer. So now I'm just stuck in this endless loop where I can't make any progress. I really don't want to give up this save but I have no idea what to do.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

the US Senate needs a wool sack too. Make sure that the left side of it is good and mic'd up for making comments.

good to see there are some wool sack fans in this thread

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The Narrator posted:

Hey, not sure if my save can be salvaged or what. I seem to have fallen into some sort of glitch. Brexit keeps approaching, but every time I try to do something to stop it, it just fails automatically and starts me over again. Weirdly, last time it happened, it also added 6 months to the timer. So now I'm just stuck in this endless loop where I can't make any progress. I really don't want to give up this save but I have no idea what to do.

that's what supposed to happen when you're going for the "good ending", I won't spoil anything for you but it's absolutely worth wait. keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Lincoln Memorial has fasces carved right into the front of it. It wasn't an uncommon symbol before you-know-who.