Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

Singleton forces variety and by default makes for more varied and entertaining games than modern or standard where most decks boil down to having pretty much the same game plan and seeing a lot of the same matchups. This is further enriched by the have that many singleton formats are designed to be played with more than 2 players.

Tuned Singleton decks (speaking in terms of Commander and Oathbreaker at least) are still pretty efficient at accomplishing what they are designed to do without being monotonous and needing 4 copies of the same overpriced card.

I played Modern for 2 years until I realized how very bored I was getting with it. I got into singleton formats and haven't really looked back much.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The singleton event a few weeks back has been on of my favorites. I played against a few of those Blue Mill decks with 30 Patient Petitioners or whatever they were called. Mostly those games came down to me having some sort of graveyard recursion, waiting until some of my beasts had a shitload of Undertow or whatever that Golgari mechanic is called, recursioning things back to the battlefield / hand and then winning. In fact that singleton event is what made me do my jank rear end Golgari / Drak recursion deck that I have a lot of fun playing.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I understand people like different things but I will never understand why people like a different thing

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

the appeal of singleton is similar to the experience of playing a board game. everyone gets to cast some spells, a bunch of wacky stuff happens, and in the end it's not that important who wins or who loses

none of that appeal translates over to arena/mtgo. there's no social aspect and the zero-sum reward structure makes things inherently competitive

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

fadam posted:

One of the things I like is you get to play with and against the sweet cards that weren't quite good enough. Something like Dovin Baan or Mu Yanling that just aren't quite good enough for their format, or just have better options. Or if you're playing a deck built around a commander, you find weird build around cards that didn't have enough support.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I like Standard Singleton, and I like it a lot more than Brawl. Yeah there is some more variance, but there are a lot of interesting board states and interactions to work through as well. I don’t think I’d want to play serious tournaments in it, but it’s a fun casual format. Brawl gets too defined around the commander IMO and loses a lot of the variety while keeping the variance.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I understand people like different things but I will never understand why people like a different thing

that's right

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Not nearly long enough.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Singleton is good when the power difference between the best card and the worst card in the deck is like 20%. These singleton precons are mostly garbage with like three constructed quality cards per deck so the variance of each draw is super high when you can draw a 2 mana 2/1 or a kayas wrath. It will be much better when you can actually construct the deck yourself.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Singleton's for when you don't care about consistency (ie winning or losing) which is why it's a casual mode

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I would play the absolute poo poo out of sanctioned modern singleton. :kimchi:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Someone please help me I have a friend who is convinced Rankle is going to revitalize Faeries in modern and that we should buy Bitterblossoms before it's too late.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

Someone please help me I have a friend who is convinced Rankle is going to revitalize Faeries in modern and that we should buy Bitterblossoms before it's too late.

I would rather cast mistbind clique than rankle. His art is super loving cool though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Count Bleck posted:

Sell them as many Bitterblossoms as you can

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Did they blow all the spoilers yesterday and there's none for the rest of the week or what?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SalTheBard posted:

Drak recursion

what?

Count Bleck posted:

fuckin' lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Quick, tell me all of the reasons I should stick to BW tokens and not play this ridiculous 14 anthem deck I've just come up with at FNM tomorrow:

3 Force of Virtue
4 Intangible Virtue
3 Honor of the Pure
4 Leyline of the Meek
4 Auriok Champion
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Spectral Procession
4 Lingering Souls
2 Path to Exile
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Generous Gift
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Silent Clearing
4 Marsh Flats
3 Godless Shrine
1 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey
10 Plains

side:
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Disenchant
1 Nature's Chant
1 Runed Halo
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Wrath of God
1 Settle the Wreckage
1 Rule of Law
2 Beckon Apparition
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Do I jam a few legion's landings in? or find a place for elspeth tirel?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ilmucche posted:

Quick, tell me all of the reasons I should stick to BW tokens and not play this ridiculous 14 anthem deck I've just come up with at FNM tomorrow:

3 Force of Virtue
4 Intangible Virtue
3 Honor of the Pure
4 Leyline of the Meek
4 Auriok Champion
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Spectral Procession
4 Lingering Souls
2 Path to Exile
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Generous Gift
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Silent Clearing
4 Marsh Flats
3 Godless Shrine
1 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey
10 Plains

side:
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Disenchant
1 Nature's Chant
1 Runed Halo
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Wrath of God
1 Settle the Wreckage
1 Rule of Law
2 Beckon Apparition
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Do I jam a few legion's landings in? or find a place for elspeth tirel?

Silent Clearing
Marsh Flats
Path to Exile
Secure the Wastes
Force of Virtue
Intangible Virtue
Leyline of the Meek

Keep or mull?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Silent Clearing
Marsh Flats
Path to Exile
Secure the Wastes
Force of Virtue
Intangible Virtue
Leyline of the Meek

Keep or mull?

Mull, because I know if I keep that I get turn 1 thoughtseized.
Point taken.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ilmucche posted:

If you are going to do token strats, why aren't you running Gideon, Ally of Zendikar? Make it an 18 anthem deck if you gonna be dumb.

Edit: Also, realize that Leyline pumps your opponent's poo poo if they are running Young Peezy or Urza.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 5, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Silent Clearing
Marsh Flats
Path to Exile
Secure the Wastes
Force of Virtue
Intangible Virtue
Leyline of the Meek

Keep or mull?

Swap your bad leylines for the good leylines and that's a snap keep.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

If you are going to do token strats, why aren't you running Gideon, Ally of Zendikar? Make it an 18 anthem deck if you gonna be dumb.

Edit: Also, realize that Leyline pumps your opponent's poo poo if they are running Young Peezy or Urza.

Don't have gideons. I run sorins and a Kaya orzhov usurper in bw. Only have 3 forces and 3 honor of the pures

Toshimo posted:

Swap your bad leylines for the good leylines and that's a snap keep.

What are the good leylines?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I mean the deck is bad for a lot of other reasons but I want to note that there’s a nonzero chance you give your opponent a 4/4 elephant lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alright, regular BW tokens it is. I'll run that one out in casual play at the lgs for fun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ilmucche posted:

Alright, regular BW tokens it is. I'll run that one out in casual play at the lgs for fun.

I'm going to guess you don't have Bitterblossoms, either?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

I'm going to guess you don't have Bitterblossoms, either?

Off the top of my head because I made a few changes earlier:
2 inquisition of kozilek
3 thoughtseize
2 path
1 push
4 auriok champion
3 bitterblossom
4 intagible virtue
2 hidden stockpile
1 zealous persecution
1 generous gift
4 lingering souls
4 spectral procession
1 Kaya, orzhov usurper
3 Sorin, solemn visitor
2 secure the wastes

4 Marsh flats
1 white fetch
2 shambling vent
2 silent clearing
3 godless shrine
3 concealed courtyard
1 fetid heath
1 vault of the archangel
1 BLAST ZONE
1 swamp
4 plains

Side
2 rip
2 stony
1 runed halo
1/1 disen/nature's chant
1 path to exile
1 sorcerous spyglass
1 generous gift
1 ashiok
1 of that black creature that gives -1/-1
1 wrath o' god
1 burrenton forgetender
1 other card that I can't remember

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Count Bleck posted:

Take them to goldfish and show them the price timeline with a huge jump 5 minutes after they announced fae folk in the new set a few weeks ago. If they still want to buy them after that, sorry about your dead dehydrated horse my man, you walked him right to the drat river idk what else to do

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did they blow all the spoilers yesterday and there's none for the rest of the week or what?

Spoilers schedule

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/where-find-throne-eldraine-previews-2019-09-05

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

I say let them drop $200 on a playset of Faeries and watch them learn the hard way what Plague Engineer does.

I say this as someone who really wants to play Faeries too.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

Surprise Buy-a-Box Reveal

well it's not much of a surprise anymore

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
On the live steam they just said they didn’t have any news today on the 2:1 Historic cards but that “the feedback has been heard, we are aware that people are not happy”

Also there is a token to put your creatures on that have gone on their adventure

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Yay, now everyone's happy!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tainen posted:

Also there is a token to put your creatures on that have gone on their adventure

:allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gone fishing

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Can I get it on a T-shirt?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

On the live steam they just said they didn’t have any news today on the 2:1 Historic cards but that “the feedback has been heard, we are aware that people are not happy”

That is the best possible way to resolve that memory issue and I’ll insult the heck out of the mother of anyone denigrating it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know those people that never bring tokens they need? Have fun!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tainen posted:

This seems overly complicated, I mean do you play this card on a table, or keep it in a deck box? It just seems like it has a lot of memory issues

Tainen posted:

When I player Hearthstone I played Wild exclusively. When you go to craft a Wild card they let you know it's not standard legal, and you can't even get into the Wild crafting section without clicking a button that very clearly toggles the format. I'm not sure what Arena is trying to do here. The way you make the artificial scarcity is to not sell the older boosters. It's like they want to double dip on not selling packs AND making them cost more to craft

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 5, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Star Man posted:

You know those people that never bring tokens they need? Have fun!

if someone like the dude upthread desperately needs a token to say when a card is on adventure or not i imagine it'll never leave their wallet between games

everyone else will just, like, remember or use an unofficial marker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I hope you are all going to loudly announce that your creatures are Going On An ADVENTURE and emphatically place them on this token every time you use this ability