Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

It does actually.

This is even weaker than the guy who made comparisons to Indians using swastikas, without knowing what's happening in Kashmir literally right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Here: https://forum.hkgolden.com/view.aspx?message=5736405

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

so what you are saying is that the nazification of HK has being ongoing since 2015?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bloodnose posted:

Comparing WeChat to any other social networking system is comparing apples to an entire economy. WeChat has chat and news feed functions, but it's also a wealth management platform, a universally accepted payment platform, a services marketplace, a tax bureau, a licensing office, a travel agent, and a million other things I could go on and on. It's an absolutely universal tool to everyday life in China. Everyone uses it.

I’m sure there’s a lot of ways this could not really work in practice but it sounds kinda cool tbh.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is even weaker than the guy who made comparisons to Indians using swastikas, without knowing what's happening in Kashmir literally right now.

I know, hindu nationalists are scum. But that doesn't mean Hinduism is inherently evil. The symbol is also used all over Asia. Go to Japan, you'll see it on Buddhist temples.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrokenGameboy posted:

I know, hindu nationalists are scum. But that doesn't mean Hinduism is inherently evil. The symbol is also used all over Asia. Go to Japan, you'll see it on Buddhist temples.

Boy you are not helping.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see your point. I'm not even arguing about the pepe thing anymore, I dropped that already.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
after 100 pages I still don't understand who the nazis are

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everyone is a Nazi except Typo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

trying to connect the protesters use of pepe to the us altright is pretty dumb.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

yeah I guess there's plenty of connections to the Ukrainian alt right

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Certain non-Han tribes of southwest China revere frogs as a symbol of fertility and wisdom, you aren't supposed to catch or eat them (though no joke frog is delicious) and pepe is an extension of the totemic worship of the wise frog who understands, albeit with a certain wry melancholy, just how messed up mainland china's judicial system is

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BULBASAUR posted:

after 100 pages I still don't understand who the nazis are

everyone I dislike is a nazi, imo

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
people still arguin pepe is far right in 2019 when we were posting the Feels Good Man comics back in the good old YCS days lol

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Lady Galaga posted:

people still arguin pepe is far right in 2019 when we were posting the Feels Good Man comics back in the good old YCS days lol

yes, in retrospect, the writing was on the wall for pepe becoming the cheeky symbol of facism way back in the day, thanks for pointing it out !

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrokenGameboy posted:

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Yea the use of the imperial Japan flag by Japan probably isn't a good look, but that's a completely different symbol isn't it? And I don't think it has a history of being used as anything else - - or has it and I'm just ignorant. While I used the example of Japanese temples, it's pretty much used on temples all over Asia. Probably more relevant to this thread, China uses it as well, it's called a wàn.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I bet Abe thinks he can bring it back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

I bet Abe thinks he can bring it back.

Theres nothing to bring back, its been the flag of their not a military since it was reestablished in 1952.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

President Trump should answer this provocation by permitting the use of the Stars and Bars at the Olympics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The confederate flag was used by rebels for a couple of years, the rising sun flag has been used by Japan since before the United States existed.

Britain got to fly their nation's flags in 2012 despite previous colonial atrocities and the flag's recent use by terrorists in Ireland and ultranationalists within England. More on topic, China got to fly their flags in 2008.

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Sep 6, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
China should use the ccp party flag for the Olympics, it would be a really good troll

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sincx posted:

Apples and Oranges.

The UK and China didn't use a secondary national flag with strong militaristic overtones in their Olympics. They used their regular national flag.

Japan using the rising sun flag instead of its normal national flag is akin to China using the PLA flag at the games, or indeed, the US using the Confederate flag.

http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/908430.html

quote:

Flag seen as symbol of Japan’s past imperial aggressions by China and Korea

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe next to the Rising Sun Flag during a Japan Self-Defense Forces exercise in Saitama Prefecture in October 2018. (Reuters/Yonhap News)
The organizing committee for next year’s Olympic and Paralympic games in Tokyo has announced that it won’t place any restrictions on displays of the Rising Sun Flag, a symbol of the country’s militaristic past, to be used without any restrictions, a decision that’s likely to be controversial.
On Sept. 3, South Korean broadcaster SBS reported that the organizing committee had responded to an inquiry by saying there’s no reason for it to ban the Rising Sun Flag, which is widely used in Japan. According to SBS, the organizing committee explained that it doesn’t think the flag should be banned because it’s not inherently political.

The Korea Paralympic Committee is currently calling for a redesign of the medals slated to be used in the Tokyo Paralympics, because they resemble the Rising Sun Flag.

So two things:
1. Were those flags banned at those olympics? Members of various nations' armed forces compete in many events, and crowds will want to support them by flying the flag of their service along with the national flag.
2. These are the paralympic flags they're complaining about :

That seems like a stretch. You're going to have to do a lot of modifications to Tokyo to remove everything using the rising sun motiff if that counts. Does the city need to stop selling asahi beer? How about newspapers?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

nobody cares about your flag pedantism

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

That seems like a stretch. You're going to have to do a lot of modifications to Tokyo to remove everything using the rising sun motiff if that counts. Does the city need to stop selling asahi beer? How about newspapers?

I mean, yes? Just like America should remove its confederate symbols, maybe Japan should remove its imperialist symbols. It's not like this is some kind of cross cultural quirk like we were arguing about earlier. This is the exact same symbol by the exact same country that gave it those meanings. It even seems like it continues to carry those meanings in Japan as well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sincx posted:

Apples and Oranges.

The UK and China didn't use a secondary national flag with strong militaristic overtones in their Olympics. They used their regular national flag.

Japan using the rising sun flag instead of its normal national flag is akin to China using the PLA flag at the games, or indeed, the US using the Confederate flag.

What is the Chinese Taipei Flag?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is an admiralty court!!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

as a citizen of a nation victimized by Japanese imperialism, I think the Rising Sun flag is pretty and okay.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

As a Free Man of the soil I do not recognize the authority of the communist courts of the People's Republic of China or its extradition treaties, nor any other extradition treaties with any other illegitimate state. Which is all of them.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

as a citizen of a nation victimized by Japanese imperialism, I think the Rising Sun flag is pretty and okay.

man I wish I was that into the taste of boot rubber

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Everybody please shut the gently caress up about frogs and flags

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

as a citizen of a nation victimized by Japanese imperialism, please take a long walk off a short pier

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
as a citizen of a nation victimized by British imperialism, I think the Union Jack is pretty and ok

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

man I wish I was that into the taste of boot rubber

youre literally the guy giving larry david poo poo for enjoying wagner... victims of imperialist powers do not need to apologize if they can separate the aesthetic from the ideology...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

as a citizen of a nation victimized by British imperialism, I think the Union Jack is pretty and ok

this but unironically

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lot going on here lmao

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1169550239746969600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

lol