Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Speaking of etymology, why the gently caress was there an Iberia and an Albania in the Caucasus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
One of the legendary explanations for the creation of Iberia is that when Alexander the Great was invading the Caucuses he was unable to defeat the tribes of Gog and Magog and so built a giant iron gate at one of the passes in the mountains and left a contingent behind to guard the gate, established some cities, and went further on towards Persia and Bactria. When he died, Iberia was a kingdom which formed from those who guarded the gate, a land which was described in the middle ages as being perpetually shrouded in fog. Not sure where the name comes from, and I don’t think that anything I just told you is historically accurate.

Albania was another land nearby, named after the Greek version of the name of the people who lived there, possibly related to the Alans.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

It's just a rebranded version of BC\AD for the secular crowd, while also having a vaguely universalist claim to dates, sort of like a global metric system for history that just so happens to be exactly like the entrenched western european christian calendar

edit: AD stands for "Anno Domini: or basically "Year of Our Lord", and basically people wanted a way to say "it's the year 2019" without Christian overtones but also without having to change anything because last time the West did a calendar change was revolutionary France and messing with calendars is now associated with guillotines

Real hurthling! posted:

those names are modern academic parlance for ad and bc which was the cusp of what the council of nicea in the 300s ad decided was jesus' birth year.

the era system is just to strip the religion out

Alright, makes sense to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

albania shares a indo european root with alps to mean mountainous

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SHARE A ROOT WITH THE ALPS

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Real hurthling! posted:

Is this the same as the Gaelic word for Scotland, Alba?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whorelord posted:

idk. check wiktionary

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i checked wiktionary says its from proto gaelic for white, see also alba, latin for white from the same IE root.

heres the page for that root
edit: oops they didnt make the page yet just a link.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Sep 6, 2019

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

twoday posted:

One of the legendary explanations for the creation of Iberia is that when Alexander the Great was invading the Caucuses he was unable to defeat the tribes of Gog and Magog and so built a giant iron gate at one of the passes in the mountains and left a contingent behind to guard the gate, established some cities, and went further on towards Persia and Bactria. When he died, Iberia was a kingdom which formed from those who guarded the gate, a land which was described in the middle ages as being perpetually shrouded in fog. Not sure where the name comes from, and I don’t think that anything I just told you is historically accurate.

When I went to Georgia I bought a book of Georgian legends and folk tales and they're generally just a bunch of horrific fever dreams.

In one, a bunch of evil spirits who eat people captures a dude and takes him to their lair in the mountains and force him and a bunch of others capture snakes to make medicine from their blood, while fattening up a female captive.

Having fattened up a woman enough, the evil spirits hang her form the ceiling and flay her, collecting the blood in a tub below. Seeing this, our hero decides to kill himself by drinking some of the snake blood medicine, which instead causes him to lose his mind.

When he comes to his senses, he notices he has a swelling under his arm. After he cuts it open, a bunch of insects fall out of the wound and he now has the ability to understand the language of everything that exists, even inanimate objects. He escapes, but knowing the language of everything that exists is incredibly annoying, because trees, wheat and shriek in pain as if they're people. As a result he finds it impossible to farm or chop firewood, and so falls into poverty until his wife forces him to get off his arse and actually do something.

He later gets conscripted into the army and falls out of a tower and dies, the end.

There's also a Hunting Goddess who's so arbitrary and cruel that she makes the Greek Gods look reasonable.

Whorelord has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Sep 6, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I love crazy local myths and folklore

Here's the "history" of the founding of the Kingdom of Minangkabau in modern Indonesia

quote:

In the beginning there was only the Light of Mohammad, through which God created the universe. From the Light came angels and Adam, and from Adam descended Alexander the Great, whose wife was a nymph from Paradise. Upon his death, the three sons of Alexander the Great, Diraja, Alif, and Depang, set sail around the world, taking with them their late father's crown. Some say the princes argued rightful ownership; some say their ship ran aground. But the crown was lost in the sea. A follower of Diraja, a trickster and master gold-smith, fashioned a replica of the crown and urged Diraja to tell his brothers he had found the original. Diraja did so, claiming the crown as his own. At this, the brothers parted. Prince Depang sailed off to the Land of Sunrise, becoming Emperor of Japan; Prince Alif traveled to the Land of Sunset, where he proclaimed himself Sultan of Turkey. Prince Diraja found the Land between Sunrise and Sunset, finding himself at the top of a mountain. It was there that the Minangkabau world began, with Maharajah Diraja as its first king.

pre-colonial Malaysia seems to have had a very. . . fuzzy understanding of western history. There's a bunch of stories like this

There's even a movie where a Roman prince marries a Chinese princess in Malaysia for some reason. Looks kind of awesome tbh:

The Malay Chronicles: Bloodlines

Squalid has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Sep 6, 2019

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Squalid posted:

I love crazy local myths and folklore

Here's the "history" of the founding of the Kingdom of Minangkabau in modern Indonesia

pre-colonial Malaysia seems to have had a very. . . fuzzy understanding of western history. There's a bunch of stories like this

There's even a movie where a Roman prince marries a Chinese princess in Malaysia for some reason. Looks kind of awesome tbh:

The Malay Chronicles: Bloodlines

makes more sense than the Aeneid

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

aeneid book 6 owns really hard because it is incredibly stupid and asskissy

the ghosts of future romans who arent born yet but already lived their lives and have the marks of glory or gloominess of untimely death etc do a conga line in front of the hero so he can stop to ask questions about why augustus is so awesome and cool.

in other books its a metaphor to augustus but in book 6 its literally the eternal spirit of the unborn augustus and his family showing up and the hero weeping because a greatnephew who will live in 3000 years got plague at age 19 and his ghost looked sad.

vergil died on a sea voyage as a guest of augustus while finishing the poem. i wonder if the emperor was like "well its already propaganda, no one will notice if we change some poo poo just to make it more clear"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

aeneid was pretty boring but at least Virgil didn't write a self-insert and have all his favorite authors come in for a huuuge party to say how smart and awesome he is, like Dante did.

Ancient fan fiction isn't much better than the modern stuff

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Alexander romances are pretty interesting. You really see how an oral tradition * quickly diverges from "histories" and takes on a life of their own. Even in Greece they'd be singing ballads that were completely fantastical.

It even made it so Iceland and became the saga of Alexander.

* My mistake, it wasn't orally transmitted but I think it ended up as oral ballads in some places.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Sep 6, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i dont find it boring but i teach it so maybe its a defense mechanism to avoid suicide.

vergils command of sound, metaphor, structure, rhythm, etc really is divine.

theres parts where all at once all the words have repeating sounds in them that mirror the action, the elision of syllables in the performance necessary to keep the meter creates hidden and highly appropriate greek words out of the Latin, the jumbled sentence structure puts words into positions where they form visual relationships with one another by virtue of their placement, and the content of the lines is a really satisfying metaphor evoking base human experience like dream states, eyes playing tricks, colors/smells, etc

like the kind of stuff that takes 40 mins per paragraph to unpack and discuss.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
The Aeneid rocks. Aeneas mercilessly killing his rival as he begs for mercy and then the story just abruptly ending is great.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i can't read latin so I missed all the sweet wordplay I guess so maybe i'm just not classy(cal) enough to appreciate it. Thinking back about it though I literally cannot remember anything in the story at all except for Dido killing herself and probably only that because it gets repeated in pop culture references. Uh they leave Troy. . . sexy time with Dido. . and then they're stuck on Sicily? uh. . . and then they escape (from what?) to Italy. . . and the gods scheme. . . something something marriage and end with the revenge killing

Really could have used more cyclopes imo

thatfatkid posted:

The Aeneid rocks. Aeneas mercilessly killing his rival as he begs for mercy and then the story just abruptly ending is great.

yeah that's the one part I can remember.the story needed more action

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Whorelord posted:

Alba is the gaelic word for all of britain, referring to the white cliffs of dover iirc

edit: referring to their whiteness rather than their cliffness

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Sep 6, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ikanreed posted:

If it wasn't for the Normans you'd all be speaking German

Too late since the mishmash english language still has germanic influence due to anglo-saxon.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What the gently caress is the deal with Albania anyway? They speak some bonkers rear end hill language that nobody understands but they’re right there between rome and greece and were part of rome for 1000 years

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Flavius Aetass posted:

How does everyone feel about the term "Dark Ages" and the associated connotations?

I have to say I'm in favor of it as it in the sense that Europe really did plunge into widespread anarchy and depopulation for centuries (i.e. it wasn't just a cultural blending/transition, but was violent and resulted in dramatically decreased quality of life for nearly everyone in Europe), but on the other hand it's a very regionally specific term to use for a broad period of time (e.g. the Muslims weren't sharing that experience).
it's an evocative and dare i say badass term, but i hate the baggage it's picked up. if you wanted to make an argument for replacing 'late antiquity' with 'dark ages' i might be for it. i just hate the boner that people have for the western roman empire. hardly anything changed immediately after 476. the empire was overrun by semi-romanized german foederati before and after. the empire was engulfed in endless war before and after. the empire suffered depopulation on a massive scale before and after. i think you could make an argument that the real end of the roman empire as a bastion of classical civilization was the crisis of the third century, because what emerges out of that is different in a billion ways.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i checked wiktionary says its from proto gaelic for white, see also alba, latin for white from the same IE root.

heres the page for that root
edit: oops they didnt make the page yet just a link.

I found a page that explains the toponyms of all three Albanias:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albania_(placename)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

etalian posted:

Too late since the mishmash english language still has germanic influence due to anglo-saxon.

I know I just wanted to fit the form of ww2 nationalism

twoday
May 4, 2005

as someone on the forums once said, English is 5 languages sitting on each other's shoulders and wearing a giant raincoat, pretending to be a single real language

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DocCrom/status/1169642164688687105?s=20

THS
Sep 15, 2017

for all we know nero and caligula were cool as hell and the aristocrats hated them because of how cool they were, and made up a bunch of slanderous bullshit

twoday
May 4, 2005

I sincerely doubt that anyone with that kind of literal neckbeard could have been "cool as hell"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rad ancient neckbeard. It's like a lil Roman mane :allears:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

twoday posted:

I sincerely doubt that anyone with that kind of literal neckbeard could have been "cool as hell"

he actually looked like chad and they altered the statues afterward to ruin his legacy

twoday
May 4, 2005

Marcus, take a chisel to that jawline, file away that bitching mustache! We can't let future generations know the truth!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

emperor claudius' last words: concacavi me
"i poo poo myself"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im down af to rehabilitate nero but that project probably needs to start with making his mom aggripina resemble a human and not a golem of ambition and sex abuse like current sources do

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ikanreed posted:

If it wasn't for the Normans you'd all be speaking German

It would be closer to Dutch, which is worse

twoday
May 4, 2005

dat is een knurftnaarlingsslapjanusmening!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

im down af to rehabilitate nero but that project probably needs to start with making his mom aggripina resemble a human and not a golem of ambition and sex abuse like current sources do

Maybe we could not try to rehabilitate the guy who kicked his pregnant wife to death?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Alhazred posted:

Maybe we could not try to rehabilitate the guy who kicked his pregnant wife to death?

Oh man wait until you find out that the Romans did mass slavery and made people fight to death for their amusement

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Oh man wait until you find out that the Romans did mass slavery and made people fight to death for their amusement

there's plenty of cool dudes from roman history who never kicked a pregnant woman to death, like spartacus or the gracchi

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

zhuge liang posted:

there's plenty of cool dudes from roman history who never kicked a pregnant woman to death, like spartacus or the gracchi

I'm just saying all Roman leadership was bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alhazred posted:

fake news by corrupt historians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Pretty much all ancient leaders were warmongers who killed thousands of innocent people.

IMO it's tiresome to bring it up all the time unless someone is clearly inappropriately idolizing them as a source for modern morality.