Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Yeah ok I'll qualify that with "most 'OGT' people" then. I've seen mostly positive reactions I guess, which is what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is it just me, or is there really bad clipping around 7:00-8:00 in Invincible?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

angrygodofjebus posted:

Yeah ok I'll qualify that with "most 'OGT' people" then. I've seen mostly positive reactions I guess, which is what I meant.

I think it's overall not good, and I was a giant Tool fanboy going back to eighth grade. But my musical taste is radically different from what it was when I was younger, so I probably don't count.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
7empest should be 7 minutes long I mean duh

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have the same kind of ambivalent feeling towards this as I do Eat The Elephant. It's very jarring to jump forward 15 years with a band.

Eat the Elephant was a trainwreck of utterly forgettable music that only proved that Howerdel is out of good ideas and the previous albums were obviously a collaborative effort with musicians far more qualified than he.

They should just do a studio version of their Diary of a Lovesong Mashup and call it a day.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't know if it was the other musicians, apparently Howerdel already had almost all of Mer de Noms written before they even put the band together. Songs he'd spent his whole youth making, which is kind of hard to replicate later (though Thirteenth Step was really good).

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

H13 posted:

Also, as I said before, Descending and Culling Voices seem to lack an ending. I still can't get into 7empest because for me it feels like a riff salad.

I think Descending is the most important song on the album that no one will pay attention to. The message ends 7 minutes in and then it's nothing but a glorious rise after that. 10 minutes 30 is when people should be playing it on the best speakers they have at a volume that gets the cops called on them. It's by far my favourite track on this album and I really hope they do a video for it.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah Maynard is mostly Mia on this album

I wish they'd do their next album in the opposite direction, starting with Maynard lyrics and basic vocals and then having the other three build up from that. Maybe that would also prevent endless years of tinkering on Adam's part, too?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Lester Shy posted:

It's DR7 & peaks at positive so it does seem likely

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Island Nation posted:

It's DR7 & peaks at positive so it does seem likely

there seems to be significantly less clipping in the 24/96 hi-res version of the album.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This album is like someone took a bunch of sound clips from lateralus and then spliced them together. I listened to it on a drive yesterday and it was like long songs for the sake of long songs. I don't know. Nothing hit me like lateralus, jambi, schism. I dunno boys.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, you only have to go back and listen to an older tool song to be like "this is the coherency I enjoy"

A fantasy part of my brain has them releasing a far more straightforward hard rock/metal album in a couple years. It would also be fun.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A straightforward rock record full of five minute songs would be refreshing as hell.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That would be great but I think we've probably pushed our luck even getting this album

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CODChimera posted:

That would be great but I think we've probably pushed our luck even getting this album

Well we got it, so now we can look to the next one!

They've said there will be a next one, which is more than they said directly after 10,000 days so I don't think there's harm in hoping.

I would like to see either an album of 5-6 minute songs or see them lean into weirder instruments a la GSYBE if they want to do long rear end songs. I appreciate this album but if you're going to play a 15 minute song, drum/bass/guitar/vocals isn't necessarily the way to go. They did branch out a bit with instruments in this one, but not as much as say Radiohead or NIN to mention their typical fanbase contemporaries.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

A straightforward rock record full of five minute songs would be refreshing as hell.

gently caress yeah. They’ve explored this hole long enough. There’s enough talent in this band to make some very very good SONGS

I mean a sign of maturity is growing up.

Can we have “The Division Bell” of Tool

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

Well we got it, so now we can look to the next one!

They've said there will be a next one, which is more than they said directly after 10,000 days so I don't think there's harm in hoping.

i thought the deal with the long delay was they were tied up by a series of lawsuits after getting screwed over by an insurance company

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Album is good but clipping is bad :(

7empest should be 7 minutes long, I mean duh. Culling Voices is the worst song imo. Pneuma, Invincible, Descending and 7empest more than make up for it though. Chocolate chip trip and mockingbeat are my favorite inner songs. I pretty actively dislike the French one.

drat I wish I’d never read about the clipping cause now I can’t not hear it.

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 3, 2019

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Nutsak posted:

I think Descending is the most important song on the album that no one will pay attention to. The message ends 7 minutes in and then it's nothing but a glorious rise after that. 10 minutes 30 is when people should be playing it on the best speakers they have at a volume that gets the cops called on them. It's by far my favourite track on this album and I really hope they do a video for it.

Totally agreed on the ending of Descending, the live audio of it has been around since the start of the year and it's finally amazing to hear the final version.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

vandalism posted:

...long songs for the sake of long songs.... Nothing hit me like lateralus, jambi, schism. I dunno boys.

Fair enough, but I will say that Pneuma absolutely kicked me right in the drat face straight away. I love that song. (But if you were to say it could be like two minutes shorter I wouldn't argue.)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would totally go in for an album of songs that were 5-6min max.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nutsak posted:

But gently caress the vocals at the start jesus

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Gave the album two listens and where the gently caress is the "oomph"? I know it's been ages since the last Tool album but each album had some rocking songs where this album just has the same ponderous 8 minutes song done over and over again. Now I am not against Tool doing ponderous 8 minutes songs, but they usually save that for 2 or 3 songs per album, but this one it is done for about 8 (with the other two songs being "filler"). I just wanted a song that hits hard, goes fast and you can crank it up to.
Also Invincible is just embarrassing and should have been about 4 minutes shorter (which I could say about most of the songs but for some reason Invincible just stuck out as the worst offender of terribleness).

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they're old now and just want to make chill music

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The end of fear innoculum is the most egrigious "song could have ended by now" moment in the album. It straight up could just end with the "Deceiver Chased away A long time Coming" bit and moved on but then theres a heavy bit which isn't actually heavy and a half assed talkbox solo and a DUN NUN NUN NUN NUN NUN stab bit of which there are already a comical amount on the album.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Lester Shy posted:

There is clipping in quite a few places, it exists on most of the standard released stuff, but is not present on the 24Bit/96khz release.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

BigHandsVince posted:

There is clipping in quite a few places, it exists on most of the standard released stuff, but is not present on the 24Bit/96khz release.

I wish this was true. One file is the 24/96 version from HDTracks, the other is the CD release.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, that's unacceptable. I was listening to 7empest on a good quality stereo and it's like every drum fill is full of static. Just wait for the vinyl, if they actually take the time to master it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The vinyl releases could be interesting because, ugh, how do you sequence this?

You could sequence the full version (and you may as well make it the full version) in order on two LPs but you'll have sides of 22, 18, 24, and 22 minutes. That's not unheard of but I certainly hope it's not a picture disc.

Even with 3LP you're ending up with at least one 22 minute side unless you're going to put Fear Inoculum and Pneuma on their own sides, and if you go that route and cut out the extra interludes, you will end up with a 3 LP where each side is one song except side E with Culling Voices and Chocolate Chip Trip.

Edit: on looking at it, you could do the full ten song tracklist in order without exceeding 20 per side with a 3 LP. That's probably what they'll do, to the tune of $80.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 5, 2019

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

While my nearest FYE was nice enough to offer to burn us a copy for "only" $15.99, I can't find a CD anywhere. Did they only release the limited edition on CD or what? I could've sworn I read they were doing a limited/regular/digital and vinyl release.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chacmool posted:

While my nearest FYE was nice enough to offer to burn us a copy for "only" $15.99, I can't find a CD anywhere. Did they only release the limited edition on CD or what? I could've sworn I read they were doing a limited/regular/digital and vinyl release.

There's no regular CD release. There's going to be a vinyl version, supposedly several, but those will be later.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

my bony fealty posted:

they're old now and just want to make chill music

which is funny / inverse for me: The older I get and more-rapidly I settle into my middle-age (lol) the more I gravitate towards hyper/up tempo poo poo precisely not to nod off every few minutes.

So far this album has been negating the effects of coffee.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Chacmool posted:

https://twitter.com/Tool/status/1169713108635381760

Of course the link they posted is hosed up, but it's here until midnight tonight: https://store.toolband.com/collections/all/products/tool-fear-inoculum-limited-edition-cd-package

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"small additional quantity"

"limit 5 per order"

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
God help me, I'm actually doing a fan edit of this loving album.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Origami Dali posted:

I was thinking of doing the same.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Origami Dali posted:

Can you try to edit some choruses into the drat thing? Or at least some memorable riffs aside from Adam Jones literally opening a song with King Crimson’s “Frame by Frame”?

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

doppler posted:

I wish this was true. One file is the 24/96 version from HDTracks, the other is the CD release.

I tried to get that program to work, but it just crashes when I hit detailed analysis.

I thought clipping was more than one consecutive sample at maximum? There doesn't appear to be any max samples in here.

Or does the clipping occur before when mixing? (it looks like there is some peaks that might have been higher, but have been rounded off to stay below 1).

Trying to visualize what people are talking about because it sounds good on all my stuff.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Origami Dali posted:

Can you get rid of the spoken word bit in the title track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My ears aren't sensitive enough to notice lovely production stuff :smugdog:

Just wanted to say the more I listen to this album, the more and more I like it. But gently caress Invincible is just really goddamn good.