Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

thepokey posted:

Gee Steve Smith is good

"Steve Smith was 15 years old when Essendon last won a final."

Edit:

Finals results for Essendon since their last finals win 15 years ago:

2019 - 55 point loss
2017 - 65 point loss
2014 - 12 point loss
2011 - 62 point loss
2009 - 96 point loss
2004 - 10 point loss

oof, not a great record, only two close games.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Well its nice now that is over and I can get on with supporting Brisbane

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that game was on US television, too bad it wasn't competitive

looks like we get Geelong Coolingwood tomorrow at 5:30 EDT, if anybody else needs to know

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jetta was sublime

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

https://streamable.com/uhd4x

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

thepokey posted:

Gee Steve Smith is good

He currently has the most runs in the calendar year despite missing 7 months of it :eyepop:

That's some bullshit, Merrett shouldn't have been a fuckwit in the first place.

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 5, 2019

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I mean I don't agree with the hair pull, thats just dumb and he rightfully got reported for that. But dont throw a guy half your size into the fence like that, hair pulling would hurt, that was just dangerous.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It was a stupid action, but it shouldn't be anything more than a fine in the finals. Having your hair pulled as someone tries to take it with them as they fall isn't pleasant at all, and I'd probably do the same thing as an instinctive reaction to get them the gently caress off me. I don't agree with pushing him into the fence, but yeah.. If he gets suspended that'd be kinda bullshit.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Well that went about as I had expected.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Fair enough from NN tbh, I think he was just trying to throw him off not intentionally throw him into the fence.

RE Paul Kelly, I’m pretty indifferent towards him, but I think he’s a poor choice for a big event, you want a stadium suited band/singer, PK is very much not that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don't even remember the last time I gave a poo poo about half time. Might see the end of the sprint.

I'd rather see the AusKickers tbh - they were fun to watch going to the games in person and cheering them on. Imagine being a kid and getting to play footy on the grand final turf on national television.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Auskickers take up like 250 seats (kid plus parent). No way the afl is giving up a few thousand in revenue for kids to run around at half time

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Take away a few corporate seats, because hey, gently caress corporations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don’t they sell those seats for like $3k each? Good luck. If anything it would be members losing seats

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Take away a few corporate seats, because hey, gently caress corporations.

lol have you met the AFL?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A reminder that 60k seats on grand final day are corporate or high cost package seats.

Fans only get 30k

MCC take a chunk as well.

Prelim finals are the finals for fans.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

A reminder that 60k seats on grand final day are corporate or high cost package seats.

Fans only get 30k

MCC take a chunk as well.

Prelim finals are the finals for fans.

Which number are afl members in?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
About 50% of afl members miss out, although it is weighted to gold level membership, not competing club afl membership.

Im a gold afl member with carlton club support, so i could buy a ticket ahead of a silver level member whos team is playing.

From this article last year:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/footy-s-biggest-day-how-the-tickets-are-allocated-20180920-p50518.html

It depends who gets into the GF, but as you can see, it ranges.

MCC should have zero AFL grand final tickets, unless they pay the club affiliation upgrade.

The article outlines each category.
------------

Members of the two competing clubs: 16,000 to 40,000

AFL corporate boxes, packages and suites (entitlements/contractual obligation): 5,000 to 30,000

MCC members reserve: 16,000 to 26,000

AFL members: 13,000 to 23,000

Medallion Club members: 3,000 to 5000

Competing clubs: 0 to 5000 (family, staff, giveaways)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 6, 2019

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Spedman posted:

Fair enough from NN tbh, I think he was just trying to throw him off not intentionally throw him into the fence.

Bullshit. He pushes him once to the neck then goes for the second big, violent push into the fence.

What Merrett did was dumb and deserves a fine or suspension but NN's retaliation was bad. A bit of grappling is fine and even pushing him into grass, but not the force into the fence.

Players get torn to shreds for doing coke on the weekends but then get excused for an action which could've done serious damage to Merrett's neck...

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for that info drunkill.

I don’t see how nonfat doesn’t get suspended, they’ve been pretty hot on fencing incidents and that was pretty bad. There’s no such thing as mitigating circumstances.

Edit: errr... nicnat

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

realbez posted:

I don’t see how nonfat doesn’t get suspended, they’ve been pretty hot on fencing incidents and that was pretty bad. There’s no such thing as mitigating circumstances.

Edit: errr... nicnat

The mitigating circumstances of "he's a star player and they are moving on to the next round of finals" will actually count in Nic Nats favour

I don't think it deserves a suspension anyway

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Windmill Hut posted:

Bullshit. He pushes him once to the neck then goes for the second big, violent push into the fence.

What Merrett did was dumb and deserves a fine or suspension but NN's retaliation was bad. A bit of grappling is fine and even pushing him into grass, but not the force into the fence.

Players get torn to shreds for doing coke on the weekends but then get excused for an action which could've done serious damage to Merrett's neck...

I don’t think what NN was completely excusable by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a reaction to Merrett pulling a :smug: when face to face with NN, where NN would have been trying to gauge if the hair pull was accidental or not, which then triggered him to shove Merrett to the ground by the neck. NN would have been completely aware the fence was there, regardless of being heat of the moment.

The perceived severity of the action isn’t helped by NN having 40kg on Merrett.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Don't gaf about half time either, that's for kicking the footy.

But Paul Kelly is a loving national treasure and musical legend and I love that it's him instead of demonstrating our cultural cringe by getting a once-big international act now that they're well past it and can't get any better gigs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Zach Merrett is a dickhead and absolutely deserved to get shoved into the fence

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Paul Kelly at 2019 grand final good.

John Williamson at 2019 grand final great.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Replace Paul Kelly with Zach Merrett and everyone will be happy

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

drunkill posted:

Paul Kelly at 2019 grand final good.

John Williamson at 2019 grand final great.

oof, no thanks. You can blame my Dad for ruining those two for me in the late 80’s.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The grand final entertainment is supposed to be cringeworthy and bad so everything seems to be in order this year

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Paul Kelly doing Dumb Things at the grand final will actually rule extremely hard.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Chairchucker posted:

Paul Kelly doing Dumb Things at the grand final will actually rule extremely hard.

Paul Kelly would be worth it just to get Briggs out there

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The best Grand Final performances are:

The Killers (but ruined because Jack jumped on stage with them later and Richmond)
Tom Jones
The Whitlams (because the harmonica slid out of his hand at one point yet the harmonica continued to play)
The Batmobile

GF performances we need in the future:

TISM/Damian Cowell (performing footy songs like Father and Son, Footy’s on the Radio, The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped, Janus Faced Duality of Existence etc)

AB Original (Because they’re rad and it’ll piss all the racists off, just don’t like Paul Kelly join them again)

Six and Out (for that smooth transition to cricket season)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thepokey posted:

The Killers (but ruined because Jack jumped on stage with them later and Richmond)
Tom Jones
The Whitlams (because the harmonica slid out of his hand at one point yet the harmonica continued to play)
The Batmobile

TISM/Damian Cowell (performing footy songs like Father and Son, Footy’s on the Radio, The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped, Janus Faced Duality of Existence etc)

AB Original (Because they’re rad and it’ll piss all the racists off, just don’t like Paul Kelly join them again)

TISM should do the one about rooting the girl who rooted Shane Crawford

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Except make it more depressing and up to date by changing it to Shane Mumford

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

thepokey posted:

Tom Jones
The Batmobile

Riewoldt singing with the killers live was a top 5 moment ever for any Richmond fan there. Don’t sook jut because they won

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I don't really care what a top moment for a Richmond fan is? Don't sook just because people didn't enjoy it with you

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

Riewoldt singing with the killers live was a top 5 moment ever for any Richmond fan there. Don’t sook jut because they won

Sooking is one of my god given rights as an Australian sports fan.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Essendon really should get rid of that Dodoro character

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I saw a clip of our last finals game against the Eagles in 2002 and he was in it celebrating the win with Sheedy. Didn't realise he'd been around the club that long. He's a stubborn poo poo who seems to be decent at the trade table in terms of getting things done the way he wants, but the results of what he gets done are pretty questionable. A lot needs to change with the club so I'd be on board with making the Dodo extinct.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

realbez posted:

Essendon really should get rid of that Dodoro character
It's really hard to say for sure, is it the recruiting or is it the player development? The same was asked about Melbourne when they were burning first round picks on guys like Cale Morton.

He's picked up some handy players outside of the first round (Merrett, Fantasia, Redman, McKenna) so I think he's done OK from a talent identification point of view. One issue is that they seem to come on to the scene showing a lot of promise but then stagnate after that which makes me wonder if it's more of a development thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Essendon players get talked up a bit in the media too, which makes it a bit harder to judge the wisdom of recruiting them.

The bigger issue is that the list seems really unbalanced without any dedicated inside midfielders which forces guys who are better on the outside (Merrett, Sheil, Heppell) to play a more inside role than they are suited to. They've got this idea that it's best to draft players who are versatile and can play multiple roles, you'll see a lot of our forwards rotate through the midfield during games.

You can see the logic, it results in a very deep midfield in games and possibly leaves us better able to run out games because the main midfield group can spend more time resting in the forward line. The consequence of this however is that the only pure midfielders I can remember us drafting in years are Parish and Dylan Clarke, and most of the other players running through the midfield lack the instinct that comes from playing that position since juniors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yep that to me seems like the bigger issue - he’s picked some decent players (where player development then comes in to question) but team balance is really seemingly out of whack. That need for bigger bodied inside kids has seemingly gone wanting for quite awhile.