Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
... You mean spring onions? Or are you taking about something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

... You mean spring onions? Or are you taking about something else?

Well they're spring onions, but there are several varieties, there's the regular kind that you can find in western supermarkets, but there's another kind that's more slender:

I tend to prefer them as toppings on things. I don't know if they have a specific name, I always just call them negi like normal spring onions and Japanese people seem to just call it negi as well, but they look different. They're almost like chives but they don't taste exactly like the chives I have in my garden, for instance.

(Not a native English speaker so they might have some obvious name in English that I don't know of, in Dutch we don't really have a word for them)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That looks like scallion/green onion. They're what is in negimaki as far as I know.

Spring onions look similar but have a bulbous part at the bottom.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 8, 2019

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mystes posted:

The first two ingredients are flour and oil. I'm not sure you really want to leave them unrefrigerated?

Isn't it usually like palm or coconut oil?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Well they're spring onions, but there are several varieties, there's the regular kind that you can find in western supermarkets, but there's another kind that's more slender:

I tend to prefer them as toppings on things. I don't know if they have a specific name, I always just call them negi like normal spring onions and Japanese people seem to just call it negi as well, but they look different. They're almost like chives but they don't taste exactly like the chives I have in my garden, for instance.

(Not a native English speaker so they might have some obvious name in English that I don't know of, in Dutch we don't really have a word for them)
Probably talking about bunching onions.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Another thing to do with leftover curry is to make curry udon. Day-old curry + dashi + noodles = delicious!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

In my area of Japan they're sold as Aonegi. In my area of the US we'd call them scallions or green onions.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Another thing to do with leftover curry is to make curry udon. Day-old curry + dashi + noodles = delicious!

tangentially, i fuckin' love laksa and khao soi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still have no idea what the difference between leeks and negi is. At least nira are distinct.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I still have no idea what the difference between leeks and negi is. At least nira are distinct.

Japanese negi taste like an overgrown green onion / scallion. They look similar to leeks, but leeks are drier, denser and have a different flavor profile. It's an onion : shallot :: negi : leek type of thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The flip at the end to seal the seam on the omurice omelet is loving me up severely, and watching Motokichi's video isn't helping because he makes it look so effortless. Either the omelet goes flying and splats in an ugly heap or it just doesn't move at all, no in between

e: Am I crazy or would liquid egg be a good idea to use for these

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 20, 2019

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Is there some reason I cannot find mackerel in the eastern US? I've looked in every grocery store I've visited between New York and Florida and have never seen it. I live inland in a college town with such a high foreign population that the regular grocery stores sell fish heads and pigs feet (which rules), but there is no mackerel to be found. Not even frozen. Am I an idiot and they're just called something else here?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's definitely not popular in the US, which is weird since it's loving delicious, but I've been able to find frozen mackerel in every Asian grocery store where I live in the midwest. Some have it out fresh and so does my city's fish market. I have never seen it in just a regular grocery store though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
99 Ranch and HMart always have it. They'll even steam or fry it for you.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Just One Cookbook published several recipes on YouTube today for different kinds of dashi if anyone is interested.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thought the thread might find this interesting, behind the scenes at Kikanbo ramen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pKw6flFZE

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

Thought the thread might find this interesting, behind the scenes at Kikanbo ramen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pKw6flFZE

Luv2mix fish broth and animal broth

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

hakimashou posted:

Luv2mix fish broth and animal broth

Fish is an animal wtf

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

im on the net me boys posted:

Fish is an animal wtf

Fish are plants.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Fish are plants.

🙃

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyway doing a double soup with a dashi and a land animal broth is pretty common. I want to put my mouth on that broth spigot and guzzle.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Fish isn't meat because fish reproduce asexually

This is what medieval Europeans actually believed

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyway doing a double soup with a dashi and a land animal broth is pretty common. I want to put my mouth on that broth spigot and guzzle.

Yup it was a neat video!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It's okay to eat fish cuz they don't have any feelings.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And now I'm disappointed with myself because I never knew there was a tsukemen joint in that area.

I mean, I loved the ramen I had, but if I had known about the other place, I would have eaten there first.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Grand Fromage posted:

I saw this and wondered if any goon has a good ramen broth recipe.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, thousands. You mean broth or tare?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

I saw this and wondered if any goon has a good ramen broth recipe.

So I've only eaten ramen in the US, and I've never had ramen from a restaurant that blew me a away. I've been tinkering with it at home for a decade though, and this is better than anything I've had at a restaurant.

I throw ~6 pigs feet (the store usually has them with this many in a package) into then instant pot and saute until browned. I then add water up to just below the fill line. I then break up and throw in a sheet of kombu and a handful of bonito flakes (if I have any). Finally, I chop up and throw in an entire bunch of green onions and pour in a couple glugs of soy sauce. I cook at high pressure for 90 minutes.

What comes out is a broth so dark it looks like beef broth, and it's tasty as gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was digging through the shelves at my local liquor store and found a bottle of legitimate not actually soju Japanese shochu. I would like to begin existing entirely as a tube to ingest lemon sours as I do while in Japan. Anyone know what the mix is for those? I'm presuming it's a combination of lemon juice, sugar, soda water, and shochu but I don't know the proportions.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Can't help you with that but make sure you mix up an oolong hai while you're at it. They're dope!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh everything I have in my house is going to turn into some sort of chuhai.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

I was digging through the shelves at my local liquor store and found a bottle of legitimate not actually soju Japanese shochu. I would like to begin existing entirely as a tube to ingest lemon sours as I do while in Japan. Anyone know what the mix is for those? I'm presuming it's a combination of lemon juice, sugar, soda water, and shochu but I don't know the proportions.

According to the first couple results off Google (https://www.shochu.or.jp/lemon/recipe.html) it's just a cold glass, ice, shochu, squeeze as much lemon as you like and add as much gum syrup as you like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I tried a 1:1:2:4 ratio of lemon juice/simple syrup/shochu/club soda and it's pretty decent as a base. I like it sourer and added more juice, plus a couple thin lemon slices and a few hunks of zest. In any case, success. I need some yakitori.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m on Miyajima island right now watching my Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki being made. Looks good!

eta: it was good, but I think I prefer Osaka-style

Helith fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 6, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have been trying to get a spicy miso ramen going. Tonight, I thought I nailed it--especially after figuring out what I wanted was a miso ramen. I had made some before that just was too thin. I had thought that spicy bean paste was the the base of the tare, so I'd end up with thin, liquid death with stuff floating around in it. I eventually figured out I needed miso. So I got some red miso paste today, added some Youki spicy red bean sauce to it for the heat, and a little bit of mirin. The mirin was from the shelf so I understood it had salt added. It tasted kind of like sweet tears... literally. So I tasted the paste and it was salty. So I just made it a point to not add any more salt.

The texture was perfect. Everything looked great. It had so much salt that my tongue just about dried up and fell out. Completely inedible. So I'm guessing either I used too much miso or what I used was just too salty. If the former, as there any other tricks to get that miso ramen thickness beyond the miso itself? If the latter, should I be looking for specific things to reduce my salt? I was hoping to find a mirin that didn't have salt added. The Japanese grocer had regular drinking sake, so it wasn't like they weren't licensed for it.

I don't think the Youki spicy bean paste was particularly salty in comparison to other doubanjiang sauces. I have used similar pastes that were much saltier. Also, my first failure where I pretty much just tried to lean on that paste without anything else wasn't salty like this at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can't help with the rest of it but if you're in the US you can get Eden Foods hon mirin online, it's the real deal rather than the aji mirin poo poo I see at stores. Worth the extra cost, it's good stuff. It does have a bit of salt but it's not noticeable.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Grand Fromage posted:

Can't help with the rest of it but if you're in the US you can get Eden Foods hon mirin online, it's the real deal rather than the aji mirin poo poo I see at stores. Worth the extra cost, it's good stuff. It does have a bit of salt but it's not noticeable.

Just looking around a little bit more gave me the the impression I might be able to find better stuff at Whole Foods of all places, but also probably the giant booze fine food warehouse places here. That would cut a little bit of it but I still have to figure out the god drat salt in the miso. I'm tempted to just mix some soy sauce into refried beans.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I always get Takara Masamune mirin, it seems like good stuff

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am feeling a little more reassured that it looks like moron is really plainly labelled on the bottles. The staff sent me over to the one type they had and it wasn't with the sake.

It doesn't look like the mirin is the main problem. I did a batch this morning using water as my base broth. Less the mirin, and no additional salt, it is still very salty. I can kind of eat the noodles now at least.

I am using something like a quarter cup of miso to get the thickness I expect. Is this ridiculous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Maybe toss in some gelatin.