Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Shamir is great honestly. You get interesting characterization with her support with Hubert too since both are the cloak and daggers type

Even if I was doing a no recruit run on my remaining routes I'd probably still grab Shamir just because I like her color commentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Shamir's support with Dedue is excellent.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There's lots of good lines but one I liked a lot was on Blue Lions where you are going back and forth across the continent and she's just very bluntly going "you guys are really stupid going this deep then turning around"

stood in nice contrast to the other knights who were anxious but willing to go along with it since it's helping others, something they'd need to do anyway or would lead back to rhea

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Asking for a friend because I honestly can’t remember, but re: Dedue’s paralogue and it’s post timeskip impact: do you have to do well by a certain amount or just do it period to get Dedue to survive? The internet is being no help. I’m pretty sure I only got a large bullion and still kept him but it’s been over a month now so I can’t really remember.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've never really used her, what's wrong with Catherine?

ChrisBTY posted:

On the other Sylvain acts like he has absolutely nothing going on for him otherwise and that there's no way any of these girls see him as anything but a meal ticket. Which is bullshit

I mean, even if it's not true, it's totally possible for him to see it that way if that's how he's been treated by everyone his entire life?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 6, 2019

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Cuntellectual posted:

I've never really used her, what's wrong with Catherine?

She has completely delegated her morals to the whim of Rhea so she doesn't have to think about anything. She literally says she's fine with killing children if asked to. She's worse than actively evil, she's totally apathetic about anything other than "does Rhea want this"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

it's easy to forget she's a church executioner until she starts talking at length

at least shamir is upfront about it(and is actually kinda nice to the students)

Shamir's basically doing quid pro. Rhea did her a favor, so she's helping Rhea until things feel even. She's still using her own judgement.

Catherine?

"Well, if Rhea said to eat a baby, I guess babies are delicious now. Like ham."

Worse, she's unwilling to give her life for Rhea. She'd just give everyone else's lives.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hargrimm posted:

She has completely delegated her morals to the whim of Rhea so she doesn't have to think about anything. She literally says she's fine with killing children if asked to. She's worse than actively evil, she's totally apathetic about anything other than "does Rhea want this"

Keep in mind that Dedue also said this in regards to Dimitri, that if Dimitri ordered him to murder women and children he would. The difference is that Dedue feels actually indebted to Dimitri for saving his life. Catherine is the same (Rhea saved her life and took her in when she was framed for killing the king) but we get to see Dimitri's reaction to Dedue going to extreme lengths for him Dedue took crest stones to transform himself and other troops into monsters to defend Dimitri, who was against it from the very beginning. and he'd never ask Dedue to do something like that.

With Rhea... yeah she could probably ask Catherine to do something like that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Catherine is awful and only gets worse the more you learn about her though she's hardly unique. Mercedes is basically in the same boat just with an added tragic backstory and more attachment to the institution than Rhea personally.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

4 playthroughs.
256 hours.
Holy poo poo I can't remember the last time I have been fixated on a game like this.
I was angling for playthrough #5 but the last battle in BE-C dampened my enthusiasm a little. That fight was a drat slog.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've got a question.

I did the Ingrid+Dorothea paralogue but didn't happen have Ingrid in my House, did I just completely miss out on her half of the reward even if I recruit her later?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Xarbala posted:

I've got a question.

I did the Ingrid+Dorothea paralogue but didn't happen have Ingrid in my House, did I just completely miss out on her half of the reward even if I recruit her later?

Yes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well now I'm wondering whether or not to load up a previous save.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's not like you are going to use crest weapons often even if you do have them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's true. And the nearest previous save was apparently before I did a couple hours of fishing and scouring the monastery so that's a non-starter.

Let's just file that away as a lesson learned. If I do decide to poach Ingrid it'll be because I want to save the lives of as many of these darn kids as I can.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I tend to have a reading if Sylvain as self-loathing to major degree. Whether it’s due to closet or his upbringing generally shifty I’m not sure. I tend to lean towards the latter considering how Miklan wants to kill him and how he was basically thrust into a position of responsibility purely because of his crest. All the fake adoration he receives from girls wanting his “crest baby” really doesn’t help things either. In any case, it’s almost like his self-loathing causes him to be a callous rear end in a top hat because he’s probably in the mindset of “I’m an rear end in a top hat so I might as well live up to that expectation.”

I did not like Sylvain at all when I first picked him up but he’s become one of my favourite characters in the game. I find him endlessly fascinating and I’m sad I can’t seem to make him a good unit. Probably cause I go cav with him.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Quote is not edit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also a good way to sum up the main difference between Dedue and Catherine is: Dedue's willingness to follow what Dimitri says doesn't stem from a lack of morality but an oath of loyalty. He's indebted to Dimitri for saving his life and devalues his own life as a result. Dimitri is against this for obvious reasons.
Catherine came to just stop thinking for herself because she discovered Christophe's plot to assassinate Rhea, and was emotionally conflicted in deciding what to do. So rather than make a choice (Turn in her friend for his obvious crime, or ignore it because of friendship) she chose to turn over the decisions like that to the Goddess and in turn, become a 'weapon'.

Her examples to Caspar of "Okay but what if" were also... quite stupid "What if two groups of children were fighitng and killing each other for revenge of their families, what would you do, who would you kill?"

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I usually make Sylvain a Dark Knight, but send him through brigand then magic classes whilst training riding in lessons, he's still surprisingly tanky in those. Plus the spiky edgy armour looks great.

My current run is 'everyone who can be a brigand is now a brigand'.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I just want Edelgard and Flayn to be able to both get happy endings, okay? :(

Well, Flayn just disappear for a few years and come back and have a happy life in Edelgard route too

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm 50/50 on Sylvain.
On one hand Yeah, a lot of girls are probably treating him as their meal ticket to the upper crust

Like, let's be honest here. There is nothing wrong with someone trying to see if it's possible to not starve to death/be slaughtered at a random noble whim. Especially when the culture tells you that you are supposed to be finding noble hot. Like, those girls aren't the ones going out of their way to seduce him. That there is a positive for them if they agree to his advance is completely okay

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arkeus posted:

Like, let's be honest here. There is nothing wrong with someone trying to see if it's possible to not starve to death/be slaughtered at a random noble whim. Especially when the culture tells you that you are supposed to be finding noble hot. Like, those girls aren't the ones going out of their way to seduce him. That there is a positive for them if they agree to his advance is completely okay

The goal is not to find a girl that's "One of the good ones" the goal is to become the most unappealing man in the world. He flat out states that his goal and method is to make himself utterly unappealing

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Onmi posted:

The goal is not to find a girl that's "One of the good ones" the goal is to become the most unappealing man in the world. He flat out states that his goal and method is to make himself utterly unappealing

That... doesn't have anything to do with my point. My point is his stated reason for wanting that is basically not sympathetic to me at all. Him being Gay and too deep in the closet would work, though.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Really weird how characters without supports can have shared Paralogues. I just got one for Lindhart and Leonie and thought they actually had very entertaining chemistry - such a shame that interaction is limited to a minute or two of dialogue

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Are we arguing about headcanons now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

my headcanon is better than yours

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Andrast posted:

my headcanon is better than yours

I'll have you know that my headcanon both beat up and wedgied your headcanon.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
My headcanon is that this entire game is just an elaborate play, which is why none of the adults visibly age

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Onmi posted:

I'll have you know that my headcanon both beat up and wedgied your headcanon.

My headcanon has longer arms and so therefore will always beat your headcanon in a fight.
(I still can't believe that was an actual Support)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

My headcanon is that this entire game is just an elaborate play, which is why none of the adults visibly age

Mercedes gets a hat, a clear sign of aging

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I like my head canon, therefore it’s the best.

Also, #rheadidnothingwrong :v:

Ok I’m sorta kidding. I haven’t seen all routes, just GD and most of BL

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rhea S-Rank spoilers
Even Rhea thinks Rhea did some things wrong

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Rhea S-Rank spoilers
Even Rhea thinks Rhea did some things wrong

God, getting Rhea supports is hard. I tried decently hard and still only managed to reach Rank C

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Rhea S-Rank

ew

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

To be fair, the only point of doing church route is getting Rhea S rank. not worth it

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Rhea S rank I got it for completion's sake because I didn't want to do the church route again but out of all the S ranks I've gotten that one was the worst. It felt completely out of left field as well cause Rhea's gone for the entire 2nd half of the game, plus Byleth's whole deal of being her experiment to revive her dead mother... it really should have been a purely platonic one, it just came off so loving weird.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I decided if I was gonna go trash route I was gonna trash route all the way.
Also I kept a save back before the choice so I could marry Leonie and erase it from canon.
But I dun' know if I wanna do that last fight again.

Also: Friends help! I have beaten all 4 paths of 3H and now I don't know what to do with the rest of my life.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 6, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Also I kept a save back before the choice so I could marry Leonie and erase it from canon.

Also: Friends help! I have beaten all 4 paths of 3H and now I don't know what to do with the rest of my life.

What other FE games have you played? While it'll feel like a step back, there are plenty of enjoyable ones. And you can kinda see where 3H got a lot of its influences

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

My fifth run of the game, whenever I finish the second, third and fourth runs, will be a recruit no one run. That's my suggestion anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Kill everyone and let the Goddess sort them out.

Wait...