Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Huh, apparently, if you have two SD cards, and Switch auto downloads an update for a game on one card while you have the other card inserted, then deleting the update file also prompts the Switch to delete the whole game when you put the other card in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is it bad? I haven't noticed any problems.

Multiple people just in this thread have mentioned that there's serious sound issues. Voices will completely disappear or sound effects will start repeating forever. Only solution is to load a save or in worst case restart the game.
Good to hear they're working on it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

What the gently caress is the new trailer? Another fitness game?

Don't you want to squeeze the Nintendo Wheel? DON'T YOU?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Meridian posted:

Don't you want to squeeze the Nintendo Wheel? DON'T YOU?

Bust a deal, squeeze the wheel

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lodin posted:

https://twitter.com/ninsoup/status/1169606620130754561?s=20

I was actually surprised in general at how many people don't seem to know who Terry bloody Bogard is.

Before I watched the Direct and had only just saw the name, I thought he was a Neo Turf Master.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello friends, my birthday is tomorrow and I am Considering Buying A Switch, new model. What should I know about this idea, for better or worse? And I can just get the base unit and play two player right?

If I do get it, I will be picking up some combination of:
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Mario Kart
Astral Chain

(Originally posted in the Chat Thread but then realised I should probably ask here for best results)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yes, Buy A Switch. Newer model is the best idea for you because yes you'll be able to play two player with a joycon each right out of the box. I don't have Mario Maker but Mario Kart is fantastic, although you'll probably quickly decide to get another full size controller because playing with a single joycon is fine in small bursts but not comfortable for long sessions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Artelier posted:

Hello friends, my birthday is tomorrow and I am Considering Buying A Switch, new model. What should I know about this idea, for better or worse? And I can just get the base unit and play two player right?

Fire Emblem Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Mario Kart
Astral Chain

(Originally posted in the Chat Thread but then realised I should probably ask here for best results)

Hi! The only game on your list that I own is Mario Maker 2, and I highly recommend it if you enjoy Mario platforming games at all. Don't think for a second that it might not be for you if a) all you want to do is PLAY or b) all you want to do is MAKE, because the game shines whether you decide to do either, or both!

I'd recommend two things: An 8bitdo SN30 Pro or Pro+ (which just came out), and getting the Mario Maker 2 bundle that comes with a year of Nintendo Switch Online.

Once you go online, you'll have (free) access to Tetris99, NES Online, SNES Online (just released yesterday) and a new free Kirby game (don't know if it's exclusive to NSO, though).

Have fun!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artelier posted:

Fire Emblem Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Mario Kart
Astral Chain

I have the first three games and can confirm that they're must haves.

I'm a little surprised that Breath of the Wild isn't on the list.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Artelier posted:

Fire Emblem Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Mario Kart
Astral Chain

I highly highly recommend grabbing Breath of the Wild as one of your games.

It is worth prioritising other games over.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The wacky wheel sounds good, Fitness Boxing sold something ludicrous like half a million copies so they'll probably rake it in with this too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Artelier posted:

Any game with local multiplayer options is good to go for two players with just a single Switch. The Pro Controller is worth a look for single-player games down the line, as it's very comfortable.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you for the endorsement everyone! Will see if I can work it out in the budget and go through with it but one more quick question based on:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hi! The only game on your list that I own is Mario Maker 2, and I highly recommend it if you enjoy Mario platforming games at all. Don't think for a second that it might not be for you if a) all you want to do is PLAY or b) all you want to do is MAKE, because the game shines whether you decide to do either, or both!

I'd recommend two things: An 8bitdo SN30 Pro or Pro+ (which just came out), and getting the Mario Maker 2 bundle that comes with a year of Nintendo Switch Online.

Once you go online, you'll have (free) access to Tetris99, NES Online, SNES Online (just released yesterday) and a new free Kirby game (don't know if it's exclusive to NSO, though).

Have fun!

Is going online at all a paid service, even if all I want to get into some Tetris99 which I believe is completely free otherwise? Also not sure if they got the Mario Maker bundle where I'm at in Malaysia, so will see.

Also BotW is on the list, just way farther down. Didn't grow up with Zelda and only played TP, didn't get into it.

Actually I just remembered Golf Story, which also looks amazing and should probably be bumped up...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artelier posted:

Thank you for the endorsement everyone! Will see if I can work it out in the budget and go through with it but one more quick question based on:

Is going online at all a paid service, even if all I want to get into some Tetris99 which I believe is completely free otherwise? Also not sure if they got the Mario Maker bundle where I'm at in Malaysia, so will see.

Also BotW is on the list, just way farther down. Didn't grow up with Zelda and only played TP, didn't get into it.

Actually I just remembered Golf Story, which also looks amazing and should probably be bumped up...

Online is $20/year and needed to go online as well. I thought it was a fine price from the get-go, but since then they've added Tetris 99 and SNES games that totally make it worth it.

BotW is, like, the antithesis of Twilight Princess. It's an open world sandbox game done right.

Golf Story is a great indie game. Other indie classics you should consider picking up are Hollow Knight, West of Loathing, and one roguelite from the following list: Binding of Isaac, Enter The Gungeon, or Broforce.

Oh and you want a multiplayer game to play, Smash Bros Ultimate is a good time. You'll probably want to pick up a second controller though as while you can play it with one Joycon per person, I can't honestly recommend it. Super Mario Party is also good multiplayer fun, and that can be played (actually, has to be played) with one Joycon per player.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Artelier posted:

Didn't grow up with Zelda and only played TP, didn't get into it.

Well there's your problem.

Twilight Princess is... okay, but if you were a non-Zelda fan it would have been a poo poo intro to the series, and I can easily see why you think it's hot garbage.

Breath of the Wild basically redefines the series, and it's GOTY multiple times over for good reason.
If you like open world 'sandboxy' type games at all you will adore BotW

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
https://t.co/SLT96KHfZc
If this is anything as hard as his Mario Maker levels.......

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, but will it be as hard as properly embedding a Tweet?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Artelier posted:

Fire Emblem Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Mario Kart
Astral Chain

Based on this list you picked I assume you already like the specific genres/series of each of these. If not you can pretty easily sort/filter through them that way.

All else being equal I'd prioritize them:

1) Mario Kart, if playing local co-op is important to you. If not, it's not really a top priority.

2) Fire Emblem assuming you like JRPG plot/characterization and its particular style of turn based strategy rpg. Maybe controversial to put this over Mario Maker but it's really good. I'm surprised how much I'm digging it and how enjoyable the characters are.

3) Mario Maker 2 is really good as well. I feel like it's better as a supplemental game instead of one of your first titles. The lack of worlds or cohesive meta-structure to Player-made-levels means I like to have it as a side piece to play as a break from something a little more structured.

4) Astral Chain - don't know much about this. Some people seem to like it a lot, some say it's just an okay Platinum game.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 6, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Box of Bunnies posted:

ya'll need to get onto the eshop and download yourselves some Garou: Mark of the Wolves

What part of "I don't play fighting games" was unclear

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

What part of "I don't play fighting games" was unclear

They never said anything about playing it

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

"Yeah!"

"I'm really feeling it!"

"Hammer BEAT!"

"Witness the power of the Monado!"

"Rikki!"

I might be slightly excited about replaying Xenoblade on a big screen. Never had it on Wii, but loved it on the 3Ds. Maybe finally I'll finish it (but obviously not all the quests. I'm not a lunatic.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Have fun!

I wouldn't buy the expensive third party SNES controller unless that's your very specific jam.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SNES games on Switch are supremely awesome. I’ve started my yearly play through of SMW and then I might play ALTTP for the first time ever (!)

One question. Can you remove or change the gray gradient border around the screen?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Did anyone say Stardew Valley yet? Stardew Valley.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SNES games on Switch are supremely awesome. I’ve started my yearly play through of SMW and then I might play ALTTP for the first time ever (!)

One question. Can you remove or change the gray gradient border around the screen?

Hoping those borders can be changed, I really like the ones included in the SNES Classic.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Artelier posted:

Fire Emblem Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Mario Kart
Astral Chain

Hey! My birthday is tomorrow too! HBD!

Get the new model, it comes in an all red box. It comes with two joycons which means two player capable. All of those games are good. I recommend Mario Kart and Fire Emblem. Two wildly different and amazing games. Both will keep you happy for a long time. I think between MK on WiiU and Switch, I've played with my wife and our friends at least 50 hours. I'm 65 hours into FE and still on my first run through the game.

Happy b day and enjoy your new Switch!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SNES games on Switch are supremely awesome.

Do you know what's not awesome? They're not doing monthly releases anymore.
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/631e8bcf-c9f4-11e9-b641-063b7ac45a6d.html

Just under the screenshots it basically says NES and SNES games will now be added at irregular intervals

2 steps forward and 1 step back. That's the Nintendo way! :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I wouldn't buy the expensive third party SNES controller unless that's your very specific jam.

Why not? They're absolutely fantastic, and are totally compatible with Android, OS X, and Windows. I think the Pro controller does that as well, but this has a better dpad (from what I'm told), and is cheaper.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ColdIronsBound posted:

Family/Game sharing question. If an account is shared on two devices and Smash is purchased on the account, is it at all possible to play together between the two devices? If not, is it possible if two licenses are purchased on the same account?

bushisms.txt posted:

No and no. It doesn't let you purchase once purchased

I was thinking about buying my kids Switch lites this Christmas (and free up my Switch proper!), sounds like I should buy physical carts of the games that they are likely to want to multiplayer with then? We are all set up on the same Family Account.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Infinitum posted:

Do you know what's not awesome? They're not doing monthly releases anymore.
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/631e8bcf-c9f4-11e9-b641-063b7ac45a6d.html

Just under the screenshots it basically says NES and SNES games will now be added at irregular intervals

2 steps forward and 1 step back. That's the Nintendo way! :v:
There's a monkey's paw no one predicted.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Tried the Daemon X Machina demo and loved it. Game seems to perform quite well from what it has to show so far.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why not? They're absolutely fantastic, and are totally compatible with Android, OS X, and Windows. I think the Pro controller does that as well, but this has a better dpad (from what I'm told), and is cheaper.

They’re better than Nintendo’s own shitass controllers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

don't overlook Boxboy and Boxgirl if you want a cool chill-out game to play with someone.

Or D:OS2/Diablo 3 if you haven't played those to death yet.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Stardew Valley goddamn it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eh I was never a fan of the shape. Modern controllers need longer handles or they don't rest easily in my hands.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Eh I was never a fan of the shape. Modern controllers need longer handles or they don't rest easily in my hands.

I have good news for you

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tetris 99 is huge fun but it's extremely funny to me that the Classic Tetris, Just Tetris mode is only available with the $10 paid dlc

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Tetris 99 is huge fun but it's extremely funny to me that the Classic Tetris, Just Tetris mode is only available with the $10 paid dlc

I am crazy tempted to buy the $30 online bundle version of it
I loving love tetris

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I am crazy tempted to buy the $30 online bundle version of it
I loving love tetris

Its incredibly good and games fill up unbelievably fast, so even when you get hilariously owned by like 6 people ganging up on you and filling your board with junk blocks you're back in the game in seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This controller is great btw. I tested a few of the SNES games last night with it last night and it was super responsive and the D-Pad is good.