Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pile shuffling is definitively not random, and is typically banned in competitive tournaments because it's very easy to give yourself a more even distribution of cards with fewer clumps than if it was completely random (which is typically an advantage).

In a board game with a shared deck, where getting a less clumpy and more even deck might actually give a better game experience overall, those objections don't really apply - it's totally fine to pile shuffle cards if you have dexterity issues that prevent you from properly shuffling in an efficient manner. The reason to not pile shuffle is that it's usually dog slow in comparison to other shuffling methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Jabor posted:

Pile shuffling is definitively not random, and is typically banned in competitive tournaments because it's very easy to give yourself a more even distribution of cards with fewer clumps than if it was completely random (which is typically an advantage).

In a board game with a shared deck, where getting a less clumpy and more even deck might actually give a better game experience overall, those objections don't really apply - it's totally fine to pile shuffle cards if you have dexterity issues that prevent you from properly shuffling in an efficient manner. The reason to not pile shuffle is that it's usually dog slow in comparison to other shuffling methods.

Yeah what I do is do a pile shuffle or two to 'declump' the cards in a set collection game, then do a couple of mash shuffles and call it a day.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pretty sure I could pile shuffle a deck in much less time than I could do 7 riffles and also not have to worry about bending the cards. Pile shuffling is fast if you can deal fast, most people deal slow af though

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure I could pile shuffle a deck in much less time than I could do 7 riffles and also not have to worry about bending the cards. Pile shuffling is fast if you can deal fast, most people deal slow af though

No amount of pile shuffling actually randomises the deck. Therefore if the objective is to randomise the deck, riffle shuffles are faster because they achieve the goal.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It gets it close enough to random for my purposes :shrug:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

It gets it close enough to random for my purposes :shrug:

It's not random in any way. If what you want to do is 'declump' or 'mana weave' the deck to achieve an even distribution of cards through the deck, then pile shuffling is great!

But it's not random, it's the opposite of random.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The thing about random is that it (basically) either IS or ISN'T.

A fresh factory deck that has been shuffled a few times but still has a pocket of 3s 4s 5s in a row and another pocket of 10h Jh isn't really "90% random" because 47 of the 52 cards meaningfully moved from their original positions and five didn't. It isn't randomized, period.

That being said, if you're happy with what you do for your own game purposes then none of that matters and have fun :buddy:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 6, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played Azul Sintra. Interesting but not enough to get, I’ll stick with regular Azul. It’s a lot more forgiving wrt negative points. There’s more impetus to get the combos going and not skipping turns to reset your glazier, but I like the punishing tiles you can push to others in base Azul. Random boards is also not as interesting to me. At least with base, you can choose your pattern or everyone plays with the same pattern.

I misunderstood a rule at first and thought you couldn’t skip over empty columns while resetting and was disappointed when I saw the real rule. Makes it seem too loose and would love to play with the variant sometime.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Selecta84 posted:

Is it out yet? Got told that the rule book should be out this week but I didn't see it yet.

Also really interested in Cooper Island and if the rule book seems good then I might preorder it for Essen Spiel.

Rulebook is out.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Played Azul Sintra. Interesting but not enough to get, I’ll stick with regular Azul. It’s a lot more forgiving wrt negative points. There’s more impetus to get the combos going and not skipping turns to reset your glazier, but I like the punishing tiles you can push to others in base Azul. Random boards is also not as interesting to me. At least with base, you can choose your pattern or everyone plays with the same pattern.

I misunderstood a rule at first and thought you couldn’t skip over empty columns while resetting and was disappointed when I saw the real rule. Makes it seem too loose and would love to play with the variant sometime.

With regards to the negative points, I thought Sintra was way less forgiving in terms of negative points. The negative point counter doesn't reset between rounds, and if you ever need to go beyond the track, you instantly lose that amount of points then reset. It's not like normal Azul where you can break a tile or two a round and only lose 2 points each round, it'll eventually push you into those big losses.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The way you can “skip” a turn to reset left and how there’s just so many color combos compared to Azul’s single color limitations really seems forgiving. I played with 3, I can try with 4 next time, but Azul at 3 had plenty of broken tiles compared to this.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

taser rates posted:

fewer minis, more wooden cubes

Fewer wooden cubes, more black and white Cheapass print-and-play games. Failing that, at least more games like Pocket Ogre. If you're goal is economic accessibility, USD $20 - $40 per box isn't going to cut it. There was a time I would save for months to lay out CAD $50 for a board game. Nuclear War was pretty cheap back in the day, and my friends and I still wound up splitting the cost.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Had there been any discussion of the merits of the Dune reprint?

It's on my buylist after the SUSD review, actually having a classic game finally out as affordable reprint is a thing in itself. Dunno when I would get around to playing it properly, though...

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Gonna work through it now.

Edit: Looks pretty good so far. Seems a bit like a Lacerda game in like having to maximize your limited actions and everything is interwoven.

Gonna get that one for sure.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 6, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is paying Dune with a new group as bad as it sounds, in terms of comprehension?

I've only played a couple of times, but IIRC it isn't ridiculously complicated. Knowing a bit about the Dune universe
helps remembering the factions peculiarities, but it isn't really needed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Watching various vids and looking at the rulebook makes me think Dune is about on par with Root. The factions play the same but the asymmetry and complexity comes through all the interesting faction powers (who gets bonuses to what, gets paid for what, extra actions, etc). It seems like a pretty random game but also more open to compromise and negotiation than Root, similar to AGoT 2nd. The production looks very nice too, hoping to play soon as well.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Is there any mechanical reason why you wouldn't immediately change out Dune's dinky little troop tokens for coloured cubes?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Chill la Chill posted:

The way you can “skip” a turn to reset left and how there’s just so many color combos compared to Azul’s single color limitations really seems forgiving. I played with 3, I can try with 4 next time, but Azul at 3 had plenty of broken tiles compared to this.

Sintra is way more strategic and interesting when it comes to scoring and drafting tiles. In base Azul it always feels like there's a right answer to maximize points. In Sintra while you might not have as little control over breaking, picking the right combo to get the most points is way more of a big deal. Also as you play more, breaking becomes a much bigger deal because players start strategically picking tiles for maximum breaking. It feels better to get broken tiles when it's because other players collectively spoiled the pot, rather than just being the unlucky player.

Sintra is just a better game overall in my opinion.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

hoiyes posted:

Is there any mechanical reason why you wouldn't immediately change out Dune's dinky little troop tokens for coloured cubes?

Two of the factions have elite troops that need differentiating. But no not really.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That is where the big cubes come in, my friend.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mr. Squishy posted:

That is where the big cubes come in, my friend.

You're thinking too small. One word: discs

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

One of the coolest things about this hobby is that you don't have to buy anything to play. A friend has been in the hobby for twenty years and the only game she bought was Dominion. She plays ~10 times a month. As long as she's willing to play what's put in front of her, she's fine.

Most hobbies aren't like that. You show up at a photography meetup with no camera (or worse a smartphone for a camera) and they'll either assume you're poor or your there for recommendations for a camera. You want to play most sports, you need equipment. Lots of other hobbies cost a ton of money to engage with.

Not boardgames. I'm going to a meet up on Saturday and there'll be plenty of games that other people have bought. I know people (especially me!!!) like to own games so they can have a better chance of playing what they want, but it's totally unnecessary. People are begging for people to play the games they've invested in, there's never any issue in finding a game if you have a decent number of people at the meetup.

This is one of my favorite things about board games. Recently, a poker loving friend came back into the area, and the guys started talking about trying to do that regularly again. I said, "Well, I like board games because it's free." and they were like, "That game wasn't free." Of course, the point is that I already paid that cost in advance, and my return per hour of game is is much larger than a single poker game. Even if I play for 3 hours for $10, that won't beat a game I've played 10 times already for 90 minutes each. Also, everyone else gets to mooch; it's not like L4D2 where everyone needs to pay $40 or whatever it was to play. Even though we each got 80 hours out of it, that value proposition isn't going to beat a board game that gets a reasonable number of plays.

At the same point, we know how absurd it gets when you start getting too into the value add as a specific metric. I'm just saying the return on board games is inherently much higher because of the mooch factor.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Eyes Have It posted:

The thing about random is that it (basically) either IS or ISN'T.

Nothing is random we live in a deterministic universe

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
It's me, the guy who corner shuffles and doesn't sleeve any of my cards. Let chaos reign.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Can anyone recommend some small 2-player games that are playable on an airplane? Wife and I are taking a trip in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to have something to do.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Funzo posted:

Can anyone recommend some small 2-player games that are playable on an airplane? Wife and I are taking a trip in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to have something to do.
Hive (pocket) is a good abstract strategy game with chunky pieces that won't have a problem with turbulence. Should fit on a single tray table, too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Watching various vids and looking at the rulebook makes me think Dune is about on par with Root. The factions play the same but the asymmetry and complexity comes through all the interesting faction powers (who gets bonuses to what, gets paid for what, extra actions, etc). It seems like a pretty random game but also more open to compromise and negotiation than Root, similar to AGoT 2nd. The production looks very nice too, hoping to play soon as well.

I think Dune is the ideal evolution of Diplomacy and modern dudes on a map game that simply hasn’t been surpassed in 40 whatever years. It can be unfair but unlike a lot of modern games of its type everything in Dune is negotiable. The weird turn order, the storm, spice blow, the cards, knowledge of the cards, your traitors, combat being an auction where the winner takes all, there’s not an element of the game you can’t directly leverage.

Dune has the thinnest safeguards. If one person isn’t into it the game collapses but under the right circumstances I haven’t played a more thematic game.

And I will argue that Dune is on the lower scale of randomness especially compared to modern contemporaries like Root and Inis. The only random element are spice blow (where new resources drop in but also determine timing of alliances), the treachery cards, starting traitors, and how far the storm moves. But each faction’s power cuts through the randomness in a unique way. Fremen can manipulate the storm and thus control turn order, Atreides knows where new spice will appear and the treachery card being sold, but Harkonnen receives an extra treachery card which Atreides can’t see, the Benefit Gesserit can force a player to play/not play a card in battle, the Guild can cut in turn order during movement, and the Emperor receives so much money that he can just buy/bribe his way out of any situation.

It’s really brilliant. I can’t believe the game came out in the 70s but you can see why it was so revered.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Funzo posted:

E: these are weird suggestions, just wanted to post about them. Regular suggestions at bottom

There is a fantasy combat book series called Lost Worlds where each player is some fantasy creature and you fight by choosing moves off a card and the book calculates the result by combining the page numbers

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1421/lost-worlds

There is another game by the same designer, but it’s ww1 airplane dogfighting. It’s a better game but probably less interesting theme:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/798/ace-aces-handy-rotary-series

These aren’t hard to find on ebay, but they are definitely not in print and may be expensive. There’s some guy (e: the publisher lol) with a 90’s website who seems to have a bunch and kickstarted a reprint of Ace of Aces awhile back though

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm

As for more regular 2p games: Jaipur, Hanamikoji, Tak, Onitama. Maybe a roll and write like Ganz Schon Clever? Or look for boardgame apps for a tablet or something

Fellis fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 6, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Railroad Ink is a great plane game. Completely solitaire but you can do a dice crafting variant if you want to make it more interactive and that works great at two players.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

It’s really brilliant. I can’t believe the game came out in the 70s but you can see why it was so revered.

Don't knock the 1970s! We are real snobs about modern board games some times, looking down on anything publish before Settlers of Catan. But there are a lot of really great games from really the last century. Off the top of my head great games that came out in the 1970s:

-Dungeons and Dragons
-Magic Realm
-Starfleet Battles
-Acquire
-The Campaign for North Africa
-PanzerBlitz
-Squad Leader
-Cosmic Encounter

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Funzo posted:

Cribbage

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Cribbage is a very good game, yes.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Acquire came out in the 60s.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

al-azad posted:

And I will argue that Dune is on the lower scale of randomness especially compared to modern contemporaries like Root and Inis. The only random element are spice blow (where new resources drop in but also determine timing of alliances), the treachery cards, starting traitors, and how far the storm moves. But each faction’s power cuts through the randomness in a unique way.

I really like Dune, but it's a stretch to call it less random than those others. Root has dice combat, but each battle has a maximum loss of 3 units/buildings. And while card draw determines where you can do certain actions, you draw frequently enough that it's not a crippling factor. That's it for Root's randomness.

Inis's red cards are highly random, and sometimes you won't get great choices in the draft (although it's your own fault if your strategy hinges on very specific future drafting). Other than that, the randomized lands don't effect any one player disproportionately.

The randomness of Dune's traitor cards and the blind (except to one player) draft seem like far more game-affecting random elements to me.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

al-azad posted:

I think Dune is the ideal evolution of Diplomacy and modern dudes on a map game that simply hasn’t been surpassed in 40 whatever years.

I will fight you. Diplomacy is pure and perfect and cannot evolve - there is simply no way for it to get better.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I will fight you. Diplomacy is pure and perfect and cannot evolve - there is simply no way for it to get better.

Italy sucks and Turkey is boring

e: you're definitely right that it isn't surpassed by games with more rules though

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Funzo posted:

The Fox in the Forest or ...and then, we held hands

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

I really like Dune, but it's a stretch to call it less random than those others. Root has dice combat, but each battle has a maximum loss of 3 units/buildings. And while card draw determines where you can do certain actions, you draw frequently enough that it's not a crippling factor. That's it for Root's randomness.

Inis's red cards are highly random, and sometimes you won't get great choices in the draft (although it's your own fault if your strategy hinges on very specific future drafting). Other than that, the randomized lands don't effect any one player disproportionately.

The randomness of Dune's traitor cards and the blind (except to one player) draft seem like far more game-affecting random elements to me.

It is more game effecting which is why every faction ignores the randomness in a unique way. There's no element in Dune that is purely unknown: Atreides knows the treachery cards except the extra Harkonnen gets, and everyone knows 3 leaders that will never be traitors and at least 1 that will. The effect of randomness in Dune comes down to how much you want to pay someone else to circumvent it for yourself. In Root I could start with three bunny cards as the birds or never get certain items as the vagabond.

That does mean Dune is IMO strictly a 6 player game. Remove a pillar from it and you lose access to information.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Hit up my FLGS today. I didn't get any games for the plane ride, but I did get a barely used copy of Spirit Island for $50 so I'm going to call that a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Generally when I see someone talk about how balance isn't important, it's someone's excuse to poo poo out something that didn't get enough playtesting.

That being said, I enjoy some pretty fragile games, like John Company, Republic of Rome, and Pericles.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 7, 2019