Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

If I see one more loving California expat moving to Austin and raising rent for everyone who already lives there I will lose my poo poo. Austin is a nice place but for the love of God stop ruining Austin by causing rent to skyrocket.

“Build the wall” -forums poster Sampatrick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Actually Dallas is amazing and should be an instant pick

Dallas already has too many west coast transplants making GBS threads themselves and crying about DART.

Let's just compromise and send them to Southlake, where the only people they'll bother are already terrible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And make California pay for it - forums poster me

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Except that rent is absolutely exploding in Austin and it's entirely a result of higher income people, usually from California, moving to Austin and gentrifying the entire city. Immigrants on the other hand have a beneficial impact on the local economy. Californians just push everyone who was already there out.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Malleum posted:

Dallas already has too many west coast transplants making GBS threads themselves and crying about DART.

Let's just compromise and send them to Southlake, where the only people they'll bother are already terrible.

OTOH get more people here to cry about DART, maybe something will actually happen. My coworker moved here from Seattle and he takes buses/trains everywhere and bitches about it constantly, but he moved to Texas and refuses to drive a car so I'm not sure what he was expecting. Anyway come to Dallas, unless you care about doing things outdoors, then don't do that probably.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I would like to vote that we confine all transplants in Lubbock

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Malleum posted:

Crying about dart not being good enough or nimbying about it like Coppell did?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Except that rent is absolutely exploding in Austin and it's entirely a result of higher income people, usually from California, moving to Austin and gentrifying the entire city. Immigrants on the other hand have a beneficial impact on the local economy. Californians just push everyone who was already there out.

How dare they move to a place

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Crying about dart not being good enough or nimbying about it like Coppell did?

When they weren't smugging it up about how the trains were so much better in LA they were terrified at the very sight of a bus stop, because apparently being near the TRE line was enough to trigger their Ethnic Person Critical Mass detector and they think they're in "the bad part of town" suddenly. Land of contrasts, really.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

How dare they move to a place

"Gentrification is good, actually." - Badger of Basra

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

"Dallas" is more an idea than any particular city

The idea is mostly that you have to drive everywhere

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DART is way better than the Philly train system

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer DFW to Austin :colbert:

I also enjoy taking DART into downtown and if I need to get around from there I hop onto one of those little scooters.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You do need a car though. The main problem as I see it is people buying these ludicrous vehicles -- land of the $30,000 millionaires as it is -- instead of going for the cheapest and most reliable used Asian import they can find.

:rice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IXg-9tKZek

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And I do have a manual despite not having a race car, but I can pretend I have a race car and do Vin Diesel moves. It's the Dallas way.

Malleum posted:

When they weren't smugging it up about how the trains were so much better in LA they were terrified at the very sight of a bus stop, because apparently being near the TRE line was enough to trigger their Ethnic Person Critical Mass detector and they think they're in "the bad part of town" suddenly. Land of contrasts, really.
Very much so. That whole white suburban belt of northern Tarrant County stretching over to Grapevine and Flower Mound are some of the worst people on the planet who are digging in harder because of the explosive growth of the metroplex, but the changes are happening whether they like it or not -- well that's my sense of it. But the whole place is just incredibly diverse. I was in the equivalent of Koreatown recently up in the Carrollton area and the sheer amount of people from all over the world, variety of places and just "life" in general happening is nice.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 6, 2019

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

This is true, but it's also lack of enough housing for how many people move here daily. Plus the majority of people will pay more than they want/should just to not be across town from their jobs because of the traffic. If traffic wasn't an issue the east side probably wouldn't be gentrifying as fast as it is because nobody wants to live in Round Rock and work downtown area. The metro population has pretty much doubled in the past 20 years and infrastructure is severely lagging. This place just wasn't built with what it has become in mind.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Wherever you move to etch in stone how things are and steadfastly refuse to change anything especially if it might negatively effect your property value.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Go buy a gun and randomly fire off blanks in order to keep property values low (I don't actually believe you should do this)

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 6, 2019

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
I will hate Flower Mound forever for being the place of my birth and early childhood which is just a mess of issues and bad decisions that are definitely the town's fault and not my own, but it was extremely eye opening to move up to podunk hill country for a year and not see any of the Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese signs everywhere that I was used to (even if they were mostly for churches). Hell, when I moved to Lewisville before that I ended up living next to a Zoroastrian community center. People settle in very strange places. Its the one good thing about this godforsaken state.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the best thing about Austin is the people constantly whining about how it's growing and changing

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm not recommending San Antonio by any stretch but it is very funny to me that we went a whole page discussing the major metro areas and it wasn't mentioned once.

It's been 15+ years since I lived in San Antonio and it was .... okay.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I went to San Antonio for my birthday two years ago and it was very nice. Would recommend the Hotel Havana to any visitors!

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

No Safe Word posted:

I'm not recommending San Antonio by any stretch but it is very funny to me that we went a whole page discussing the major metro areas and it wasn't mentioned once.

It's been 15+ years since I lived in San Antonio and it was .... okay.

El Paso never gets mentioned at all (except for recent events obviously) but it’s a great little city with a ton to do in the area.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

Go buy a gun and randomly fire off blanks in order to keep property values low (I don't actually believe you should do this)
Works for Mesquite.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

the best thing about Austin is the people constantly whining about how it's growing and changing

I actually like the growth, and the change is not nearly as bad as people whine about. Most of it is positive. If the infrastructure was able to cope it would be a million times better though.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I enjoy living in San Antonio. One nice thing about Austin and San Antonio though is they're day trip distance from each other if you want to do the more touristy stuff in either city.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I would be fine with Austin's growth if it wasn't for the massive amounts of gentrification that are going along with it. It's not even really the raw quantity of people coming that's a problem - there's actually more diversity in Austin now than there was twenty years ago, which is rad af. The problem is specifically with relatively wealthy, usually white people, gentrifying lower income neighborhoods because they place more demand for buying or renting homes in those neighborhoods because they perceived them as a good deal which then cause prices to go up which then push out the people who lived in those neighborhoods (this sentence is long and cancer I'm sorry). The problem with Austin's growth was never actually the raw quantity of it, but instead the specific nature of some of the people moving into Austin.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
San Antonio is awesome. Better food than Austin. Cheaper than Austin. Not as many outdoorsy things to do unless you drive about 45 minutes, though.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Houston is the best city in Texas for food

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sadieeehdz/status/1169733287486599168

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TropicalCoke posted:

San Antonio is awesome. Better food than Austin. Cheaper than Austin. Not as many outdoorsy things to do unless you drive about 45 minutes, though.

Shhh don't tell people.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

El Paso never gets mentioned at all (except for recent events obviously) but it’s a great little city with a ton to do in the area.

I assume its because El Paso is the complete opposite end of the state from everywhere else that matters

Texas is very large

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I actually like the growth, and the change is not nearly as bad as people whine about. Most of it is positive. If the infrastructure was able to cope it would be a million times better though.

The infrastructure needs to come after the growth, unfortunately, since it is funded by tax revenue, and the higher the density, the better.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Improved infrastructure will do literally nothing to stop gentrification it will only alleviate some of the knock on effects. It won't stop white people from pushing poc to the exterior of the city, it will just make that be less of a problem.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
San Antonio is much easier to get around than Austin, DFW, or Houston.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

General Dog posted:

San Antonio is much easier to get around than Austin, DFW, or Houston.

Minus I-10 and 1604 on the NW side which are always godawful traffic wise from 3-6

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

I do actually believe you should do this

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

I do actually believe you should do this

automation is the future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnvzgCzgV9k

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The infrastructure needs to come after the growth, unfortunately, since it is funded by tax revenue, and the higher the density, the better.

daddy xi could save austin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I like how one person asking about moving here spawned 80 posts across two threads