Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Marie's arm clipped through her tits during a cutscene. 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Feels like switch games in general just don't give a poo poo about clipping.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gotta be real, I'm legit getting mad at video games in File 07 [Wild] or whatever

The enemy types suck and the map layout is loving awful. Alen fell because I went everywhere but where was needed all because it's a confusing loving map Second time I just let a enemy kill me because my brain just shut down because I was getting so loving sick of one of the enemies that I just didn't care anymore to gulp down a healing item.

I really wish your dodge wasn't complete and utter rear end in this game. It ruins a lot of enjoyment when I'm getting stunlocked by loving birds.

E: I can't believe this mission was greenlit and got past testing. What the hell were they thinking.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 5, 2019

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've been playing for a while (got the fourth legion last mission) and I haven't really had any problems with the dodge. It feels like they learned their lesson from Automata and made it a lot less ridiculous, but perfect dodging seems about the same in terms of difficulty.

I feel a bit bad about combat because I'm not using all the tools available though. Most of the legion special attacks seem kinda useless, and I keep forgetting to use the bind or any sort of jumping tactics. I'm not that frustrated yet, because my ranks have been pretty bad most of the time, but I do hope I can get used to it for replays.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Momomo posted:

I've been playing for a while (got the fourth legion last mission) and I haven't really had any problems with the dodge. It feels like they learned their lesson from Automata and made it a lot less ridiculous, but perfect dodging seems about the same in terms of difficulty.

I feel a bit bad about combat because I'm not using all the tools available though. Most of the legion special attacks seem kinda useless, and I keep forgetting to use the bind or any sort of jumping tactics. I'm not that frustrated yet, because my ranks have been pretty bad most of the time, but I do hope I can get used to it for replays.

It becomes a problem when you get introduced into enemies with status effects on their hands. I just had a fight with 4 enemies that rapidly charge at you back to back and if any of them touched me they did like 300 damage and lit me on fire so I had to do the "oh no I'm on fire" animation and just got stunlocked that way. I literally died and me reviving killed them and I got a S+

It's actual bullshit and makes me hate the game. I forgive a lot of stuff out of my love of P+ but this is not good.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Supremezero posted:

Feels like switch games in general just don't give a poo poo about clipping.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Rapidly charging enemies are a good time to abuse perfect dodges for iframes.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

ntan1 posted:

Rapidly charging enemies are a good time to abuse perfect dodges for iframes.

Unless they charge you in rapid sucession, then you're hosed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat the endgame on this story goes beyond critical anime. I love it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Carlos is the best cop ever.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What the gently caress is with the proto legion. They actually killed me because they'd hit me and I got no hit stun from it so I had no idea I was actually being hit, and they do monsterous damage without staggering much as a result.

What am I missing because that felt like actual trash.

Edit: Look, I like the game and I think the combat has some actual charm behind it- but it is horrifically overwhelming and the game has a serious fetish with shield generating enemies that are NOT fun to fight at all. I feel like half the time I'm getting my rear end kicked it's because I'm trying to solve a puzzle while some rear end in a top hat cat looking thing hides underground or high out of view or just turtles behind the unit it's supporting and the dumb rear end in a top hat fighting me has no reservations about off screen swipes. I'm just downing medicine because the combat flow just feels bad.

Now I have two enemies that have almost no hit stun that can hit me and delete 900 health in a blink and I'm just getting frustrated. I love everything else but this is the first platinum game where I'm teetering on the edge of saying "no they went overboard. This is just bad." Not even Wonderful 101 was this cumbersome.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gotta be real, I'm legit getting mad at video games in File 07 [Wild] or whatever

The enemy types suck and the map layout is loving awful. Alen fell because I went everywhere but where was needed all because it's a confusing loving map Second time I just let a enemy kill me because my brain just shut down because I was getting so loving sick of one of the enemies that I just didn't care anymore to gulp down a healing item.

I really wish your dodge wasn't complete and utter rear end in this game. It ruins a lot of enjoyment when I'm getting stunlocked by loving birds.

E: I can't believe this mission was greenlit and got past testing. What the hell were they thinking.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It becomes a problem when you get introduced into enemies with status effects on their hands. I just had a fight with 4 enemies that rapidly charge at you back to back and if any of them touched me they did like 300 damage and lit me on fire so I had to do the "oh no I'm on fire" animation and just got stunlocked that way. I literally died and me reviving killed them and I got a S+

It's actual bullshit and makes me hate the game. I forgive a lot of stuff out of my love of P+ but this is not good.

*looks into camera while waggling a cigar* "I'm not sure this is a cool guy after all!"

All jokes aside I really liked fighting the proto legion, they felt like the first mob with some teeth behind them (though I'm only at chapter 6 so far)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I was very surprised when I managed to beat one phase of a boss using only grenades and then finishing the job with attacks after a stun grenade. Still ended up with an S+ as well. Every boss is just getting grenaded from now on

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finished the game just now at lunch. Just under 29 hours and loved every bit of it (after file 2). Going to start going trough the files in Pt. Ultimate then do some of the post game cases. Looks like I still have plenty of optional poo poo to find and do so I’m ready for it.

Quick dumb question: on the file summary / end of file screen (where it shows you all the cases and your rank) on the top right you get a little summary of some things. Red matter cleanup %, Items found, then 2 more things. A star looking thing and a flower looking thing. What are those? The star one I have some in some files by the last thing I’ve yet to find in any chapter?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just plain hate fire in this game, period. The combat is fast and hectic and I do feel like I'm in control most of the time even if things are going too fast for me to really do so, but then whoops my pinky touched a blob of fire on the ground and suddenly the controls lock up while I flail around like an idiot for several seconds. Blegh.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Instead of a mode that removes all the combat and focuses on the story/cop stuff, they should have done the opposite. Everything outside of actually fighting guys in this game is kind of a slog imo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Post-game has something like that

Chapter 12 has a series of missions that are all "go here and fight this gauntlet, with a fixed item selection and set at Standard difficulty". There's 71 of them or so I hear (they unlock as you go)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think you can't really make an action game like this at this point and not have some form of bloody palace.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Finished the game just now at lunch. Just under 29 hours and loved every bit of it (after file 2). Going to start going trough the files in Pt. Ultimate then do some of the post game cases. Looks like I still have plenty of optional poo poo to find and do so I’m ready for it.

Quick dumb question: on the file summary / end of file screen (where it shows you all the cases and your rank) on the top right you get a little summary of some things. Red matter cleanup %, Items found, then 2 more things. A star looking thing and a flower looking thing. What are those? The star one I have some in some files by the last thing I’ve yet to find in any chapter?

The stars are hidden glowing item spots you have to shoot with Arrow. There’s also a paw print for hidden Beast digging spots.

Also guys, if you don’t like being on fire, there’s immunity abilities you can slot in and you probably have some.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't! :(

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Note to developers of future Platinum games: make the camera less sucky, especially during close quarter combat in tight spaces

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Manticore posted:

The stars are hidden glowing item spots you have to shoot with Arrow. There’s also a paw print for hidden Beast digging spots.

THAT’S what that is! Cool now I can get hunting. Replayed File 01 in Ultimate and S+ everything plus found like the 2 hidden things which was easy enough considering the whole thing is one hallway.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Whats the gimmick for the last fifth of Homonculus Beta where he's crawling all over the walls and never stops? It feels like there should be a gimmick to stop him but I can't figure it out and frankly I'm real mad at him right now.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Clothesline him

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh my god I forgot about that.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The start of file 8 with all the minigames really is not very good, some of them like the red shift cleanup are interesting but the digging one especially is the antithesis of fun

Having a downtime bit is fine and talking with Akira was neat but man do the ranked minigames blow

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just beat File 2, I suck at the combat so far but I'm still enjoying it, even if that big arm boss killed me and I barely survived the kumite at the end

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zelder posted:

*looks into camera while waggling a cigar* "I'm not sure this is a cool guy after all!"

All jokes aside I really liked fighting the proto legion, they felt like the first mob with some teeth behind them (though I'm only at chapter 6 so far)

I usually "get" platinum games games right away so it's just frustrating me really that I keep getting these really awful enemy type combinations, and chapter 7 or 8 (the one with all the birds) is just flat out bad.

As I progress the game stops leaning on the shields as heavily as it was early game and I'm having more fun with it, but this is the first P+ game I don't think I'm going to be going all out on. I feel like the status ailments really put a damper on a lot of combat encounters and sometimes the game just doesn't feel fair really. When I get hit in Bayonetta there's usually like the screen going dim for a second and a screen effect. Here I sometimes get hit and there's no real animation or tell that I got hurt so I'll notice I'm suddenly missing a chunk of HP and as a result it makes me feel like I've been robbed.

I don't know, I just finished chapter uh... 10 I think? [WILD] so I think I'm near the end game. Last couple chapters have been really cool but lmao Jena as a character is the worst trope machine ever.

(Spoilers for her story arc up to this point)
She shows up, says she's going to kick your rear end the whole game and owns the terrorist status. Calls you sick fools and CANT YOU SEE??? *throws murder monsters at you* CANT YOU SEE YET???? DONT TRUST HIM TRUST ME!!! *Blows up a entire city with her hell monsters* TRUST ME!!!!
*I turn into a sickass demon*
Why couldn't... you have trusted me... I tried to warn you............

NO YOU DIDNT. YOU LITERALLY DID NOT WARN ME OF THIS. YOU SAID *NOTHING* JENA. What the gently caress was her problem.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 7, 2019

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

CharlestonJew posted:

Just beat File 2, I suck at the combat so far but I'm still enjoying it, even if that big arm boss killed me and I barely survived the kumite at the end

you start getting more options in combat soon.

i find it way easier to dodge things if i dodge backwards.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't know, I just finished chapter uh... 10 I think? [WILD] so I think I'm near the end game. Last couple chapters have been really cool but lmao Jena as a character is the worst trope machine ever.

(Spoilers for her story arc up to this point)
She shows up, says she's going to kick your rear end the whole game and owns the terrorist status. Calls you sick fools and CANT YOU SEE??? *throws murder monsters at you* CANT YOU SEE YET???? DONT TRUST HIM TRUST ME!!! *Blows up a entire city with her hell monsters* TRUST ME!!!!
*I turn into a sickass demon*
Why couldn't... you have trusted me... I tried to warn you............

NO YOU DIDNT. YOU LITERALLY DID NOT WARN ME OF THIS. YOU SAID *NOTHING* JENA. What the gently caress was her problem.

What are you gibbering about? Screaming about how "You shouldn't trust him!" and "Your power isn't really a blessing!" in between attempts to wipe out what is left of the world is basically the same thing as calling you up and calmly explaining what is going on and offering you the chance to help her

Oh, and speaking of Jena, I finished the game and I'm not entirely certain I understood her plan, so someone tell me if this sounds about right

*ending spoilers*

I think her idea of saving humanity was basically just stopping Yoseph and allowing the astral plane to absorb humanity, because as much as that would suck, it's infinitely preferable to being absorbed by Yoseph "Become as Gods" Calvert

I honestly loved Jena, she was a hilarious ham and cheese sandwich, but her actual goal was a bit vague.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Holy Moley, the game absolutely does not tell you that the command moves you get from the upgraded baton have automatic sync chances tied to them.

As for Jena, I haven't gotten that far, but my theory is that she has genuinely gone insane and only remembers the broad outline of her original plan. Of course, if I were right, it would still be terrible writing since they fail to convey that clearly.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Pulsarcat posted:

I think her idea of saving humanity was basically just stopping Yoseph and allowing the astral plane to absorb humanity, because as much as that would suck, it's infinitely preferable to being absorbed by Yoseph "Become as Gods" Calvert

Yeah, pretty much. It's also worth noting that Yoseph basically pumped her full of chimera cells and left her for dead in the Astral Plane, so the following two decades probably skewed her perception of how eager your average Ark-dweller would be to be "archived." She's sympathetic to the twins because she knows better than anyone what it's like to be on the wrong side of Yoseph's research, but she's definitely not Actually a Good Guy.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Johnny Landmine posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's also worth noting that Yoseph basically pumped her full of chimera cells and left her for dead in the Astral Plane, so the following two decades probably skewed her perception of how eager your average Ark-dweller would be to be "archived." She's sympathetic to the twins because she knows better than anyone what it's like to be on the wrong side of Yoseph's research, but she's definitely not Actually a Good Guy.

Really I got a different impression, from when she was going 'We can still win!', and how her Homuculi actively reduce redshift corruption in areas where they've been (as mentioned on the rooftop after the third) that her plan was to use the homuculi to actively fight the astral plain. When you destroy that egg you see them even eating the plain itself, not just the homuculi.

edit: Admittedly I haven't gotten into the post game yet, so maybe more will be revealed there.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 7, 2019

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Eopia posted:

Really I got a different impression, from when she was going 'We can still win!', and how her Homuculi actively reduce redshift corruption in areas where they've been (as mentioned on the rooftop after the third) that her plan was to use the homuculi to actively fight the astral plain. When you destroy that egg you see them even eating the plain itself, not just the homuculi.

edit: Admittedly I haven't gotten into the post game yet, so maybe more will be revealed there.

Yeah I forgot about that and you're right.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Going through Pt. Ultimate i really appreciate the whole don’t have to S+ every case in one go as far as completion go. You can chip at a file until you 100% it then bail once you complete the particular case or goal.

EDIT: there is one dumb order that has you S+ every mission in Pt. Standard AND Pt. Ultimate. And there are no orders for 100% red matter cleanup thankfully. Just the 80% and above which you should be reaching during a normal playthrough.

EDIT: :siren: I unlocked the Lappy suit which is the greatest thing ever. :siren:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 7, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question for the final boss
At one point he just put me in a ball and I insta gibbed. What the hell was I supposed to do with that? Then later I just kinda fell over dead with no animation. What the hell was that about?

And question for after the credits roll
Is there a actual ending in Case 12 or is it just the free roam thing I heard about? Can't start it right now but uh, chose not to kill my bro and boy that was abrupt and not satisfying.

Actually the hell happened to Kyle? I saved him from his angry friends and he vanished from the plot entirely. I kept expecting him to re-enter to take revenge for his men against Yoseph or Jena but no he just leaves the plot.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 7, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EDIT: :siren: I unlocked the Lappy suit which is the greatest thing ever. :siren:

Please don't tell me this is locked to S ranks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

Please don't tell me this is locked to S ranks.

It's not.

Vague spoiler: it's tied to certain cases throughout the game. I think most of them are Marie focused

More details: You need to obtain the 6 Lappy Suit items. The one's I remember off the top of my head are the one from case 5 where you have to fight Jin in the Lappy costume. You have to win that fight. The last piece is on File 12 from Brenda. It costs 100,000 credits. Once you have all 6 pieces you get a new mission on the post game cases Olive offers in which you go through a rather easy mission with the costume. This unlocks it

And since I looked it up, the other costumes are tied to obtaining all the toilet papers and completing some/all of the post game cases? I haven't gotten far enough to see the mission that unlocks the Raven suit

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The Raven Suit costume is available pretty early on in File 12. It's not one of the default missions but I've probably only done 4 or 5 total and I've got it unlocked.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, turns out that several of the legions have weapon unique command syncs. Sword just doesn't because it is the loser legion for baby beginners. Help, I'm drowning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, turns out that several of the legions have weapon unique command syncs. Sword just doesn't because it is the loser legion for baby beginners. Help, I'm drowning.

Sword legion does have an extended combo sequence off of the spin and delay command inputs though.